One last hug

Baby Sinb

Yuju was curious when she's released out of jail. The case against her was trashed and she don't even know the reason behind it, but one thing she is sure of, she doesn't feel good about it.

Jiho picked Yuju at the police station and drives her home.

"Sinb is already at your house. She's probably be waiting for you" Yuju frown

"She's not with the authorities?"

"They let her go too"

"Something's wrong here" Yuju suspected

"I know. And you have to find that out before it's too late" Yuju agrees with her friend.
"If you need, I'm willing to help you"

"I know I can rely on you, Jiho. Thanks a lot"
Jiho smiled

"That's what friends are for" Yuju chuckled. A few minutes after the ride, they arrived in front of Yuju's home. Jiho left after dropping Yuju to go back to her workplace.

Yuju entered her home and saw Sinb sitting at the couch, waiting for her. She smiled as she walk closer.
"Did you wait long?" Yuju asked. Sinb smiled and shook her head.

"Are you hungry? I just cooked food for you"

"Really? Since when did you learned to cook?" Yuju asked almost laughing

"Let's just say I'm too perfect" Sinb proudly said. Yuju smiled and carried Sinb in her arms before heading to the kitchen.

The plates were preparedly placed on the table, the food that Sinb cooked as well as enough amount of rice are already served and are just waiting for someone to consume them. Yuju smiled at the sight. She placed Sinb down and sits on a chair then starts to have a taste of what Sinb has prepared for her. While Yuju is eating, Sinb headed to the fridge to get a glass of water then handed it to Yuju. When done, Sinb occupied the sit across Yuju so the two of them could face each other.
"I never thought your cooking can be this good" Yuju complimented. Sinb just smiled. Seconds passed by and Yuju quickly noticed how the kid is so quiet
"What are you thinking?" Yuju asked. Sinb sigh

"Nothing"

"Are you sure?" Sinb nods
"Well, as you say so" Yuju is still not convinced though.

When Yuju finished eating her food, she set aside the plates and rest her arms on the table while her eyes are fixed on Sinb

"Baby, you're not helping my mood"

"What do you mean?"

"The moment I was released out of jail, I knew there's something going on. I've been thinking about it and I thought I'll be having a short break of it with your food, but your face ruins it all. You look so down" Sinb sigh
"Is there something wrong? Or should I say, do you know something?" Sinb looked down and it's enough to make Yuju nervous.

"I'm going back to Andong with halmeoni. We'll be living there without you" Yuju frown
"In exchange of setting you free, I need to be away from you."

"No, I'm not going to allow that. I don't care if I'll go back in jail. We'll fight, baby. We will"


"No, Yuju. Even if we fight, we'll lose. The case against you is really strong. Halmeoni is also not on our side which makes it even more harder for us."

"We can still find a way!"

"This is the only way! I can't let you become a prison due to a mistake that you never did. I also won't let you lose your teaching liscense, you've worked hard for it"

"But you promised you won't leave me like Eunha did before!" Yuju was unable to contain her emotions. She shed tears that makes Sinb slightly startled.
"I've been holding what you promised me but what's the use of that promise if you'll just going to break it?!"

"I don't have any other choice. I have to do this" Sinb sadly said and looked down. Yuju dropped her head on the table and cried.
"I was supposed to leave today b-but I begged for this day to be my last day with you before I leave. We can have fun today, Yuju! We can still create memories!" Sinb tried to brighten up tge mood even just a bit, but instead, Yuju slam both of her hands on the table before leaving the place to head into her room.

Sinb have been waiting for Yuju to go out of her room. But time for lunch and dinner have already passed, Yuju is still locking herself in her room. This makes Sinb too down and disappointed. She wants to spend the rest of the day with Yuju but it doesn't seem to happen. Yet, there's no stopping it. She already needs to leave on the next day.

Sinb walk closer to the door of Yuju's room and knocked.

"Will you open this door for me?" But she recieved nothing
"I wanna sleep with you. Can you sing me a lullaby?" Still no respond. Sinb looked down and sadly sigh
"This is hard for me too. As much as I want to stay, I can't. Because I know it will just put  you into much harder situation. Please Yuju, open this door for me. For the last night, let me sleep with you" Sinb begged. On the other hand, Yuju is just listening. She's fighting to herself whether to open the door or not.
"Good night...mommy" Sinb said then Yuju heard the vanishing footsteps of the kid. Yuju took a deep breath and forced herself to sleep.

-----

Night turns to dawn, Yuju was unable to sleep no matter how she tried. Few hours passed, she heard a knock from her door.

"Are you awake?" She heard Sinb's voice from the outside.
"They're already waiting for me outside. Are you still not coming out? I wanna see you first before I leave" just by the voice, Yuju can already determine that Sinb is sad.
"Atleast one last hug and a proper goodbye.  Please" few minutes of silence passed, and Yuju is still not comin out of her room. She don't want to say goodbye. That will hurt her even more.
"Bye Yuju. Take care...mommy" Sinb's voice cracked.

Sinb exits the house. She hop inside Sowon's car that seems new. Beside her is her halmeoni while on the front seat is Sowon's mom and Sowon on the driver's seat.

"Your car is new?" Sinb asked


"Of course, Yuju doesn't need to know that this was all planned by me and my mom as well as halmeoni. Or else, Yuju will hate me"

"Tsk, you're crazy" Sinb hissed. She looked at the window of Yuju's room sadly. But something caught her eyes, it's Yuju. She's looking at the car with an expression that Sinb couldn't explain. When their eyes met, Yuju suddenly hides herself. This make Sinb want to cry, but she stopped herself.
She don't want to appear weak in front of the people in that car.

"Say bye-bye now, Sinb" Sowon started the engine and happily drives off the place.

-----

While Sowon was driving, she can't help but smile with the thought that Sinb is no longer in Yuju's life. She got so excited of taking Sinb back to Andong, so the car was on high speed.

'Eunha's out. Sinb's out. Yuju's mine.' Sowon thought. She happily celebrated in her mind that she was unable to notice that she's already near with bumping the back of someone else's car that is running with slow speed.

"Watch out!" Sowon's mom shouted making Sowon get back to her senses and due to panic attack, she uncontrollably turn the steering wheel to the side making the car cross the borders then fell off the cliff and into the sea.

Sinb saw that the three people that is with her in that car were all already unconcious, probably due to the hit impact from their heads when they fell. Sinb's vision were also becoming blurred til she noticed a blood running out from her head. She was unable to move until the sea water increased then she find herself unconcious for getting drowned.

-----

Hunger attacked Yuju. She went out of her room and noticed how the atmosphere was so boring without the kid. She headed to the kitchen and the sight of foods already prepared on the dining table makes her want to run and chase after Sinb.

She sits on one chair and began eating her breakfast. She eats them all. She wants to consume everything that Sinb has prepared for her that morning.

When she's done eating, she put the plates on the sink then headed on the living room. Not even bothering to wash those plates.

She turn on the tv and switch from one channel to another. She wants to kill boredom, as well as to distract herself from thinking about Sinb even just for a while.

But something suddenly caught her off guard. It was a breaking news that breaks her heart. In a rush, Yuju run towards her room to grab her jacket and her car keys before exiting the house. She get into her car and drives like as if there's no tomorrow. She even nearly bumped someone else's car, but she cared less. Her mind was too occupied and in a mess.

-----

Yuju reached the hospital that was mentioned on the news and she hurriedly looked for Sinb. A nurse helped her and brought her infront of the emegency room. Yuju was asked to wait for hours before the doctors finally permits her to come in and check the four people's condition. Sowon, her mom, and Sinb's halmeoni were unable to make it through. But Sinb is still breathing. Yuju was more thankful that her daughter is still alive.

Sinb was transferred into a private room. Her head was casted as well as her feet. There were also some fresh bruise and wound in her cheeks. She's also wearing an oxygen mask to help her in her breathing.
The sight hurts Yuju but she still hoped for Sinb to wake up. But not long after, a doctor called for Yuju's attention.

"Her brain is half dead and eventually, it will be as a whole. When that happen, her heart will stop its beat. And she'll no longer be breathing"


"Are you telling me that she's dying?" Yuju asked the obvious

"I've tried my best to revive the patient. But if you wish, we can extend her life. We can put a machine that will help keep her heart from beating. But the chances of her waking up will be less."

It was the most painful conversation Yuju ever had.

After the conversation with the doctor, she headed back to the room. She went closer to Sinb's unconcious body and held the kid's hand tightly before kissing it.

"Baby please wake up. I'm here. I'm waiting for you. Please wake up" But there's no respond.
"Give me atleast one last hug, baby. Please" still no respond.

Night comes and Yuju knew she shouldn't be giving up on Sinb. She slowly lay down on the small space beside Sinb and wrap her arms around Sinb's body. She caress Sinb's casted head and sings the lullaby she always sing for the kid. But in the middle of her song, the monitor that indicates Sinb's heart beat creates a sound that she fears then shows a flatline. Yuju immediately stopped and shed tears. Her hug tighten. She already lost her baby. And nothing is more painful than losing someone she loves the most.

"Sleep tight, baby. I love you. Rest well" those were the last words Yuju whispered into Sinb's ear before painfully giving a long kiss to the kid's casted head.

 

 

 

--------------------

How will Yuju live without her baby now?