Resolving Issues

Oppa Hates You

"Hmm? You're talking about me, right?" I eye-smiled, not really getting what she was saying. "I am said boyfriend."

"Um, no," she winced. She stared at me nervously before continuing. "No, I have an actual boyfriend. We've been best friends ever since I can remember. We used to play all the time when we were little."

"Wait, so there's someone else other than me?" I asked. I wasn't feeling upset, just shocked. She slowly nodded.

"I never really agreed to this competition thing; it was my father's idea to enter me. I'm sorry I lead you along but it's time I told you the truth and stopped being a candidate. I'll be returning to my boyfriend now-"

"Wait, I don't understand!" I said, grabbing her arm. She sighed, realising she'd have to tell me the story. "Why didn't you say before?"

"Because I was still unsure. You see I've been neglecting him because my father opposed of us. A few years ago my boyfriend got into a car accident and lost all feeling in his legs so he has to use a wheel chair," Mirae said, becoming suddenly very serious. "My father never really liked him in the first place but when the incident happened, he used it as another excuse to pull us apart."

I became quiet listening to her, she seemed to know what she was doing much better than I would have. "Woohyun, you don't like me. You like me better than the other two but that's it. There's that girl...the one you ran after when we were in the cafe...."

She was talking about Haneul? So she saw what happened? "In that moment as I was coming back to our table, I saw you completely forget I was there and ran after that girl on the street. I watched you as you argued with the other boys who were with her and seeing you...that's when I realised you love her."

"You knew.... I'm sorry-"

She interrupted me. "But you won't mention it at all. You love her so much and yet you won't do anything to get her! Why?!"

"Because..." I started, but quickly became at a loss for words. "Because I can't!"

"Is it because of your father?!"

"No, it's not just him. I just know I have responsibilities!"

"For me?!"

"Yes!" I yelled. This was quickly becoming an argument that I dreaded seeing the result to.

"Why are you with me right now?!"

"You're all I have now! You're accepted!"

"By your father maybe but what about you?! Am I accepted by you?!" Mirae pleaded to me. She wasn't looking for the answer I was going to give her.

"Yes. You are," I said truthfully. But the look in her eyes made me doubt I was telling the truth. It was as if she was pitying me, telling me I had convinced myself somehow. Suddenly she'd become very quiet.

"Is that because I resemble her? I remind you of that girl?" she said out of nowhere. She knew?! She knew she looked like Haneul... I might just be in trouble... I couldn't answer her and looked away.

She sighed and nodded. "I get it. So you can't have her because your father doesn't approve and I'm just her substitute... You know, you're the kind of person who'd accept anyone who shows you love and you'll give them as much in return as you have. You'd make them feel special and excited to see you every time. You'd tell them they were the most important person in your life and will be that way until you die...but I'm just a replacement for that person. The real thing is out there and you're not with her right now."

"I can't-"

"Stop making excuses! I love my boyfriend and I'm not staying here with you, Woohyun. I don't care what my dad says; I'm going to find him and say sorry and we'll run away together. That's it," she said deadly serious. "Go after that girl too! You'll regret listening to your father because for the rest of your life you'll be with the wrong person."

"Mirae...." I breathed in awe. How can someone be so confident and determined? She really knows what she wants and isn't afraid to defy her father to get it. I should do the same... "What should I do?"

"Well, I'm going to find my boyfriend and talk to him about it. You should find your girlfriend then," she said, standing up and taking a stretch. I pouted and looked at the ground.

"She's not even my girlfriend-"

"What?! Not even- Oh my god, go! Go! Now!" she ushered, pushing me to the exit of the aquarium. "You act all charismatic and charming and yet you're pretty hopeless, aren't you?"

_______________________

 

Haneul's POV

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," I said, banging my head with my fist as I stomped home after circling the neighbourhood several times. I turned around the corner and froze, staring at Woohyun's dad getting out of his car. A sinking feeling washed through me as he turned in my direction. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. He looked at me blankly and I blinked a few times before it hit the both of us. He glared at me at first before it turned into a frown, then a look of curiosity.

"Hey, you! Come here for a second!" he called out to me. His voice was so demanding that I was scared to disobey it. Slowly with my head down I tottered over to him. "You're not here for Woohyun are you?"

I shook my head, keeping it low and avoiding eye contact. "I live here. Next door," I said, pointing to my house.

"Y-you....live there?! What?! How?!" he said. "Oh I see. So you're Yoon Haneul! Haha! My goodness, I suppose I owe you an apology. You're not so third rate after all if you're the daughter of Yoon. You've grown a lot since the last time I saw you, no wonder I didn't recognise you." His change in tone gave me enough confidence to raise my head. "So.... that's why you were at my son's party."

"Actually, I wasn't there for business purposes. Woohyun inv-" I began but stopped, guessing there must be a reason why Woohyun's father didn't already know. "Yes! That's why!" I laughed, trying to sound pleasant and nice.

"Well my humblest apologies to you then. But then I'm not sure whether to take them back again seeing as you've been around my son an aweful lot."

"I'm sorry?" I questioned. Of course he was going to become irritating again.

"He's busy you know. It's hard for him to find a wife if you're constantly buzzing around him like an annoing fly that won't go away," he huffed crossing his arms childishly.

"Excuse me!? You're a grown adult! You shouldn't be talking like that to me!" He suddenly looked taken aback and slightly astonished. "You really don't take into account the feelings of others, do you? How do you manage a whole conglomeration and all the views of it's employees when you can't even see what your own son wants?! This will lead to your downfall-"

"You have the cheek to-" he raged but I hadn't finished yet.

"Don't interrupt me! I'm not one of those -ups that tend to your every need and worship the ground you walk on. I'm a human being so treat me with some basic respect."

"You're actually talking to an adult like that!?" he yelled, his booming voice shaking my bones to the core. His glare was physically painful. "I sort of admire you for it. You have some guts, kid. And a fair point too."

"W-what?!" I blinked. He smiled and waved to me as he walked inside his house and left me standing shocked on the street. It was taking a while to sink in. Did he just compliment me?! I was distracted again from going home when something else held me up.

"Haneul-aaaaaaaaah!" someone sang from behind me, the voice getting louder until the person had wrapped their arms around my shoulders and almost knocked me over. "Hey, Neul-ii~i~i~i!" he said, rubbing his cheek on my head like a cat.

"Sungyeol! G-get off, you're too.... heavy to be.... leaning on me!" I struggled, trying to pry his long arms off of me. 

"Awweee," he pouted, popping his head onto my shoulder. "That's mean! What are you trying to say?! Hmm?" I finally managed to break free and turn around. He smiled widely at me, showing his gleaming teeth and hiding his eyes. "Yo!" he said, making a V-sign.

"H-how do you know where I live?!" I trembled with my eyes wide, backing away. "S-stalker!?" I sounded almost hysterical.

"Stalker?! You live here?! Wow, now I know where you li~ive!" Sungyeol sang, hopping on the spot like a little kid. He stopped and scratched the back of his neck in thought. "I just saw you before and thought to catch up with you. Didn't think I was following you home.... Wait! What if someone saw and reported me to the police for stalking?! Haneul-aaah, what do I do?!" he whined, clinging onto my arm.

"Yah! Calm down! That's not going to happen...and if it did I'd just explain it-"

"Neul-ii, you're my saviour!!! I love you!" he said, linking arms with me and grinning from ear to ear. "Hey, hey, do you want to see our dance practise? We're almost ready and I really want to show you."

"Umm, okay-"

"Alright! Come with meeee!"

___________________________________________

"Do it again guys, you're sloppy," TOP saem said, replaying their track. "Focus!" For the billionth time I watched Infinite run through their routine with what looked like perfection to the absolute. They were sharp, full of energy and 100% in sync from beginning to end but they insisted they needed more practise. I had nothing but respect for them. I'd never seen anyone work so hard.

"You're treating this as a school talent show when you should treat every single performance as if you were doing a solo in the Tokyo dome no matter what the stage is," TOP said, his tone very serious. "What's wrong with you? Do you think this is a game?! From the beginning."

He was harsh but Infinite never once complained. They listened to every word he said until they were dripping in their own sweat. If only Woohyun was here to be dripping in his own sweat too.... Hey! What am I thinking?!

And as if he could read my mind, the dance room door opened and Woohyun sheepishly walked in with a bow to TOP saem. He looked at me in surprise and did a shy wave.

"Hi, Haneul. You were here?" he asked. I nodded and smiled, blushing from my previous thought.

"Nice of you to join us for once, Woohyun. Let's do it again guys!" TOP said, clapping his hands as the boys got back into position. I caught Sungyeol's eye as he mouthed to me something with a grin but I couldn't read what he said. Woohyun walked over to me and put his bag on the bench I was sitting on. He stood awkwardly for a while before deciding to sit next to me. TOP gave him a small glare.

"Haneul-ah. I'm sorry I left you just now. I shouldn't have gone. Will you forgive me?" he asked quietly. I didn't answer straight away.

"Sungjong! Focus! Eyes to the front!" TOP suddenly shouted, making the two of us jump. I looked up at Sungjong who gave me a worried glance, then a glare to Woohyun before looking to the front again.

"Does...Sungjong like you?" Woohyun said, looking down. I nodded. "I see. I was taking too long wasn't I? Now you've started collecting this attention.... Well, that's over now. They can't look at you anymore. Haneul-ah, will you be my girlfriend from now on?"

The pause between those words leaving his lips and my reply was almost immeasurable. Without even thinking I said, "Yes!" A huge smile spread across his face like clouds parting to reveal the sun. His eyes disappeared as his cheeks rose but my eyes widened realizing my mistake. "Wait, I'm sorry. I can't be... There was something I needed to tell you, remember?"

His face dropped as quickly as it had lit up. From the corner of my eye I could see TOP looking concerned but he quickly turned his attention back to Infinite. "What is it?" Woohyun asked, his voice sounding hurt.

"Just like you...I'm also getting married," I gulped. Woohyun's eyes widened and then narrowed. He brushed his fringe out of his eyes with the back of his hand and looked at me straight on.

"You're getting...married?" he said skeptically. I nodded. "Aren't you a bit young to be getting married?"

"Aren't you?"

"Well I have to get married quickly because my father's throwing this CEO status on me all of a sudden. It's expected for me- but not for you..." he trailed off.

"Why not? I also have to get married because my father is throwing his status onto me-"

"What?! Don't tell me," he said, the shock plastered on his face. "Yoon Haneul....Yoon... I thought it sounded familiar."

"Yep. Yoon inc. I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want you to think I'm like those snobby rich kids- no offence," I said. He smiled. "I hate it all and wanted to run away from it. But when my father returned without having solved our financial issues, he said it was best if I was married off to save the company. I hate it but I'll do anything for my dad. I haven't said anything because I was hoping to leave that kind of life behind...but I suppose there's no avoiding it. I hate it."

"Wow, Haneul...I never knew you were like me.... Neul-ii... do you want to get married?" Woohyun asked quietly.

"Of course not. Well I would one day but not under these circumstances and not for these reasons...."

"So you'll be going ahead with it.....?" Woohyun said even quieter. What was he thinking? And why did he ask me to be his girlfriend just now? He's not available... "Do you know who it is?"

"No...not yet. I have some suspicions but I don't want to say anything just yet that might cause trouble."

"Can't you just not get married and be with me instead?" Woohyun said carefully after some thought. I stared at him in shock, my heart rate increasingly. I was suddenly becoming very hot and flustered inside by his words. Why is he suddenly making me feel like this? The song ended and Infinite stayed in their finishing pose. TOP saem tutted.

"I know there's some interesting business going on over here," he said. Me and Woohyun cringed bright red as everyone looked at us. "But you guys can't lose focus! Woohyun, you can join them now. From the top, boys!"

 

_________________________________

A/N: Eh I have one last exam left! Woooo...I guess? haha ^^ Well the next chapter shall me more interesting don't worry. XD