Getting Back

Oppa Hates You

Woohyun's POV

 

"Is that it?"

"Yup! That's all. Run along now," I said, clapping my hands and ushering her towards the door. Mirae cocked an eyebrow and frowned at me as I innocently smiled.

"At least give me a clue where the locket might be hidden," she whined. I tutted, pointing my finger at her and smirking.

"I already have, haven't I? Now go!" I said, pushing her to the door. Maybe a bit too roughly, as she tripped over the carpet and clung onto my arm. I held her up as she recovered from the shock, but I didn't let go quick enough as the door swung open and Seyoung walked in on a very awkward scene. She blinked a few times, her eyes wide like a deer.

"Ah, Seyoung! Sorry, it's not hidden here but I'll be doing a quick individual interview now," I continued, ignoring her bewilderment. "So Mirae, you should leave."

Mirae nodded and left quickly, not turning back once. I couldn't help but feel a little irritated that the only normal seeming girl didn't seem to approve of me, though I was also pleased at that too. She reminded me so much of Haneul that maybe even, she would help me forget about her. Mirae could fill the empty space where Haneul should be.

I grudgingly turned to the perplexed Seyoung and put on my Nam Charms, which was a bit of effort since I couldn't be bothered with the other two at that moment.

____________________________________

 

"I think the three of them are getting close now, young sir," my butler told me as I sat back, sipping lemonade while watching the cameras. I nodded and waved him away as I got up and ran excitedly to the garden.

By the fountain, I saw Yumi pensively staring at the water. Damn, she's close. Why does it have to be her?! Quickly, I ducked behind a wall to eavesdrop.

"I've hidden the locket in a place where life springs from the earth...... like the ground?" she mumbled to herself. "Argh, I don't get it! If I don't find this then I can't be Woohyun's wife and I'll die alone!"

"What an airhead," I chuckled to myself.

"Life springs from the earth... life springs. Ooooh 'Life Springs'! That must mean a spa!" she sang happily, thinking she'd worked it out. "No, it can't be."

Suddenly, I watched as Seyoung walked up to her with a dirty look. She scoffed, and turned her head away. What a mean person! "What are you doing, exactly? Looking into a fountain?!"

"I'm thinking! When I win Woohyun's heart, I'll be the wife of Nam Coorps CEO!" the younger girl whined. "What are you doing?!"

"Huh! You're not going to win his heart! An airhead like you can't," Seyoung said, meanly. The both of them glared at eachother as finally Mirae made her way to the scene. She ignored the two and looked towards the fountain.

"Oh, it's you," Seyoung said. "Come to proclaim stupid fantasies too?"

"I don't fantasize," Mirae bluntly said, not even looking at the girl once.

"Come on, everyone does!" Yumi chirped, flipping her bouncy blonde hair and looking at the sky dreamily.

"I don't fantasize. What's the point when in reality, you only get what you get and all that you want and ask for is essentailly taken away..." Mirae muttered. Wow, I have no idea what she's talking about but it sounds amazing. "Your small minds wouldn't understand how hard it is for me to believe in fantasies."

"Well anyway. One of us will soon win this hunt! First we're going to have to work out what the clue means. I've hidden this item in a place where life springs from the earth..." Seyoung began. Mirae sighed as she watched the other two almost hurt themselves thinking about the answer. They were thinking so hard that Mirae started laughing at them, which got her death glares. One had no idea and the other was too smart to see the obvious.

"Really?! He basically said it to our faces!" Mirae yelled. They looked at her blankly and she rolled her eyes, inclining her head to the fountain. "A spring from the ground?!"

"Oooooh!" Seyoung and Yumi exclaimed, jumping around happily, only to stop dead again and look in horror at the water.

"Well jump in then!" Mirae said to the girls, who stared at her in panic. Why didn't Mirae get it herself if she had worked it out? Why tell the others? "What's the matter?"

"I can't go in the water in these clothes!" Seyoung and Yumi said together.

"Fine then I'll go." 

_______________________________________________

"Good thing the boat arrived when you said it would, otherwise you'd be dead right now, maknae," Sunggyu said hostilely to Sungjong, who was trying to avoid Sunggyu's glare by staring over the edge of the boat. I smiled and patted him on the back but he just pouted and buried his head in his arms.

After we'd all finally got off, took the train, and eventually returned to Seoul, no one really knew what to do next.

"What should we be doing right now, exactly?" Sungyeol asked. We all stood awkwardly with our bags and school uniform on the busy train platform.

"Um, aren't we meant to be in school right now?" Hoya said, looking at his watch and realising it was already late morning. Soyeon shook her head quickly and widened her eyes.

"No way. I'm absolutely drained and I can't even imagine going to school in this uniform. Eww..." she complained. Infinite agreed and the debating continued.

"Well we should all leave the station at least. I think I'm going to study at home," Sunggyu said, picking up his bag and walking away. "See you guys tomorrow!"

One by one everyone left until it was just me, Jieun, Hoya and Sungjong left. Myungsoo was there too but he was occupied with a phone call. The warm midday rays of sun shot through the glass roof of the station and bathed the atmosphere in a late spring glow. The station had emptied as a loud shrill sounded before the train whisked away it's passengers. The air hummed as other sounds died out. At this time, the cicadas would begin their call.

"It's almost summer..." I commented, mostly to myself, but Sungjong heard and nodded eagerly. Suddenly, a vibration felt in my bag, and as I took out the source of the movement, my heart clenched in panic. I held up my phone and took the call from my home.

"H-hello?" I stuttered. I had forgotten completely to tell my mum where I had been all night. But what I heard strangely wasn't my mum's voice.

"Noona, it's Jinho!" my brother called. "Where are you- no that's not important. You have to come home now! It's really important you come back as soon as possible!"

"What?! Why? Why aren't you at school? Has something happened?" Sungjong heard my words and tilted his head at me quizzically. I exchanged a worried look and he frowned.

"Yes! Yes! Quickly, it's an emergency!" he shouted. Abruptly the line went off and I couldn't ask anymore. I didn't move straight away. Something about his tone irked me, he didn't sound like he was in panic. Just desperate.

"What was that?" Sungjong asked. I shook my head as I put my phone away.

"I'm not sure but I have to get home now. It's something important." Without even giving a chance for him to say goodbye, I raced out of the station and hailed for a taxi. "Please drive as quickly as possible. It's an emergency," I said to the driver. He nodded with a surprised but excited smile and slammed his foot on the exhaust. The car sped away until in the space of a few seconds, the station was a small spec in the distance.

As soon as the taxi came to a skidding halt, I flew out of the door and ran up the steps to my house, slamming my fist repeatedly on the door. Slowly, as if the door had to push through treacle, it swung open and revealed a man in a business suit with tousled hair and an unshaven face. I stepped back in shock and blinked. Had I got the wrong house? I didn't even know which was my house?

He was on the phone and hadn't had a chance to look in my direction, and I didn't get a chance to fully see his face.

"Umm..." The man didn't turn around and continued talking animatedly on the phone. I was pretty sure this was my house, and it seemed this guy was in my way. Wasn't there an emergency? "Excuse me."

"No, no. I'm fine hyung. I just got back today so I'm pretty tired but all is good. How's your son? He back from Europe yet?" the man said in a deep and familiar voice. I squinted my eyes to see his face but he turned around quickly, still chuckling. "Oh, he came back five years ago?! He must be a fine young man now. Wow, I didn't realise I had been gone for so long...!"

"Excuse me, but this is my house. I need to get in because there is an emergency!" I squeeked desperately, my face getting red and flustered. I clenched my fist as the frustration built up. He completely ignored me to the fact that I questioned if he even knew I was standing there.

"Hyung, that was years ago! My daughter wouldn't agree to something like that. How is she? Well..." the man said, looking over his shoulder and smiling warmly at me, even though I looked like a fuming tomato with fists ready to punch through brick. "She hasn't changed one bit," he chuckled with soft warm eyes that seemed to know me so well.

The man said no more and continued to smile. Eventually he said goodbye and hung up; and during those few seconds as I began to calm down and take in this person's features, a puzzle piece clicked inside my head. I stared back at him long and hard and he gave me a smug smirk in return. My eyes widened as it hit me. After so long....

"A-a-appa?!" I stuttered, barely making the word come out. He smiled and held his arms out for an embrace. Without a second thought I fell into him arms and curled up to the familiar yet new feel. Something about him brought back a feeling from the past, and yet he was different from how I remember as a child. "Appa..."

"You're a lot taller now, aren't you, Haneul?" he said, his chuckle sending vibrations through my hair. He smelled of tobacco and musk, something that I wasn't used to.

I nodded, as sure enough I couldn't say another word. Unconciously, I found hot tears were streaming down my flustered face without my permission; but I let them. I needed to cry. About many things.

"You've changed a lot, my girl. You're exactly the same and completely different at the same time," he said, pushing me away too quickly. He held onto my shoulders and assessed me as I tried to calm down. Of course I simply burst into tears as soon as I wiped my face. "Shhh....Haneul, don't cry."

"I'm...just....happy," I sobbed.

 

_________________________________

A/N: Sorry I'm updating like a tortoise. It's exam time right now for me TT^TT This chapter may seem short and nothing much happened but trust me it's important, and I'll make up for it by making more chapters ASAP. So don't worry! It shall get more exciting soon!