The Icecream Shop

Oppa Hates You

A/N I wanna cry because of how long I've been away~~~ TT.TT I'm so sorry yeorobun. Hope you haven't forgotten this story... But now my English Language GCSE is over forever, here's a chapter to celebrate! ^^ Yay!

 

"Ice cream! Ice cream! Ice cream!" Sungyeol sang. He was hopping on the spot in front of my desk as we waited for the teacher to come for afternoon registration. The class was all chatting but Sungyeol was the clearest voice. "Ice crea-"

"Sungyeol, sit down please," the teacher said, strolling in. I laughed as he ducked his head and gave me an embarassed look. Ten minutes later when the end of school bell had rung and people had started leaving, he was back to hopping on the spot singing 'ice cream'. He stopped for a moment and sighed in realisation.

"Um, I forgot I have to go to pick up some documents from the office right now. I'll be about fifteen minutes so you should go ahead first," he said appologetically. I nodded and stood up. "Hey, give me your number first so I can call you," he said taking his phone out. I gave him mine and we both put in our numbers even though I had no idea why we had to. Maybe he thought I was going to run away or something...

I sat there for a while after I realized I actually didn't know which ice cream shop we were supposed to go to. He never said but I guess it's my fault for not asking. Slowly, after fifteen minutes had past and he wasn't back, I left the school and walked down the road to the nearest and most popular ice cream shop in the area. It felt strange that there was no Woohyun following me; I'd gotten used to it.

As expected, the parlour was almost empty since nobody really has icecream mid-winter. There were two couples sitting cosily in the couple booths spoon-feeding each other, but I took a window seat instead to avoid that awkwardness. It had been half an hour since I'd last seen Sungyeol and it was pretty embarassing when more and more people came in because it was so apparent I was on my own. Two teenagers approached me again and I just felt fustrated.

"Hi, are you on your own?" the guy asked. Again like last time, they looked younger than me. The one who spoke had short bright red hair and the other had a very layered style, blonde hair with highlights. I would have to say something since Woohyun wouldn't be here this time.

"I'm waiting for a friend," I said, looking out of the window. I caught him laugh and place his hand on the table and I eyed him slightly.

"That means you are alone. You can sit with us while you wait for your friend if you want." I was about to interrupt but I stopped myself because of his sincere face. "It's not good if you're by yourself, erts might approach you. If you sit with us it will be easier for you," he gave a warm smile which was completely different from the drunk guys the other day. After consideration, I nodded and moved to their table where they'd already ordered their ice cream.

The shop was suddenly really full which was very unusual. The other guy caught me staring around and smiled.

"Those guys came in because you were on your own sitting there. Pretty girls should have more self preservation, seriously," he tutted. I turned to him in amazement and gave a small glare.

"Thanks for the compliment but you're speaking to me informally." He looked confused for a moment and then worried. "I'm 18," I added.

"Wow seriously?! I'm so sorry, I thought you were younger." I shook my head as the two stared at each other. Even if I was, we're still strangers...

"What are your names?" I asked before the atmosphere became awkward. They turned to me and spoke with very quiet and timid voices.

"I'm Lee Byunghun."

"I'm Lee Chunji."

"Oh so are you brothers?" They shook their heads and looked down. They seemed a bit nervous around me. "Okay, since you guys invited me over so kindly, you can call me Haneul-noona then. And drop the honorifics too."

"Really? But we don't know you..." I nodded and the guys realised how nervous they were and laughed. "So are you in our year or the one above? We're both 18 aswell."

"I'm not sure. I think so."

"Then you're not much of a noona," Byunghun chuckled.

"Hey-"

"I'm kidding!" he laughed. "Sorry. Maybe it's because you're not wearing make-up or something but you look about 16 or 17."

"Isn't that rude?" Chunji whispered to him. I laughed and shook my head.

"No, he's right. I often get mistaken as being younger than I am." They looked at me suspiciously and I shrugged. "I don't care what people think."

"Isn't it annoying though?" Chunji asked with an unnerving grin.

"N-no. Well...yeah." I couldn't concentrate because honestly the two of them were staring very intensely. "Like I said, I don't care. Do you find image that important?"

They both laughed and nodded which earned a few stares from the group of guys that had collected in the shop. "Image is what makes us," they both said together. I shook my head as I stood up to go to the counter. I hadn't realised that I forgot to order because I was swept up in talking to two very friendly strangers.

"Um, hello," I said to the lady by the counter. She had long, dead straight black hair and a face plastered with foundation. She nodded but looked away from me coldly. Maybe she's angry with me for making the place busy. "Can I order one chocolate-strawberry sundae please." With that she quickly left and went around the back. I walked back to the table in a daze but stopped in my tracks instantly as behind me stood Sungyeol.

"Hey," he said, looking down at me.

"Uhh, you scared me!" I stuttered. He laughed and moved back. "Why did you take so long?"

"Because there was a long queue. But the real question is, who are your friends over there? I didn't invite them." He looked over his shoulder at the two boys who were busy chatting and laughing. I hope he wouldn't be mad that I sat there.

"No, they invited me." Sungyeol understood and gave me an apologetic look.

"Well lets sit over there now," he suggested, pointing towards a couple booth. I stared at the place and my heart began to race. Why would he say that? I hesitated for too long but made an excuse anyway.

"I can't just move. It would be rude and I'd feel bad," I stared up at him pleadingly but he didn't even see me. He shrugged indifferently and walked to the guys' table without a word. I followed him guiltily.

Chunji and Byunghun suddenly stopped laughing as they saw Sungyeol approaching and became very quiet. They gave me confused expressions as we both sat down in front of them. Sungyeol layed back and casually put his arm behind me on the back of the seat and stared at the ceiling. It was becoming awkward.

"Um, Sungyeol, this is Chunji and Byunghun. And guys this is the friend I was waiting for, Sungyeol. We go to the same school," I chirped whilst randomly gestering with my hands. The two of them stared at Sungyeol with their mouths open as he just stared at the ceiling. No one said anything else. I was regretting not accepting his offer to go to a separate table.

"You guys are a bit young to be chatting up girls aren't you?" Sungyeol suddenly said.

"We're the same age," Byunghun said in return. The two looked at each other and eventually Sungyeol nodded. "We weren't chatting her up. She was on her own because you kept her waiting." I said nothing as the guys spoke to each other. Where did my almost date with Sungyeol go?

"Well I'm here now," said Sungyeol, moving his arm down to my shoulders, sending a shiver down my spine. "So anyone up for playing a game?"

Byunghun nodded and smiled. "What do you have in mind?"

Sungyeol's eyes wondered around the room dazedly and landed on a poster by the door. "That." Everyone turned and read the poster. "It seems to be running today. Whoever loses must pay for everyone else's icecream, okay?"

"We have to see who can eat as many bowls of ice cream as possible?!" Chunji exclaimed. Him and Byunghun looked slightly worried but even more excited. "I'm in."

"No, can't you read?! If you don't finish five bowls in eight minutes then you lose. Simple as." Sungyeol looked over his shoulder and motioned for the waitress to come over. She gave me a second cold look and I ignored her. "Hey, we'd like to take on this challenge. If we pass we don't have to pay, right?"

The waitress nodded with a fake smile to him and batted her eyelashes like she had chilli in her eyes- I'd seen that attitude so many times. "Of course. For you three?" Obviously she didn't acknowledge me. Sungyeol shook his head and looked to me. I gave him my warmest smile.

"Four please." The waitress said no more and left. In two minutes we had gathered a small audience as the word of the challenge travelled around the shop. People had eagerly huddled around our table as the stop watch and spoons were brought out. Then came the icecream.

A different much kinder waitress had come to judge since the cold one had gone to glare at me from the corner with her arms tightly folded.

"Okay. You have eight minutes to eat these five bowls. Whoever finishes first wins. If you go over the eight minutes then you will be paying for everyone's previously ordered icecream. I've made it easy and got a selection of popular ice creams so lets start!" the waitress said cheerfully. "Three, two, one. GO!"

How do I even start when describing how messy those eight minutes were? For me, the fun stopped when we all became way too absorbed in the competition. Every so often one of the guys would peer up from their bowl with icecream-caked faces and surge on with devouring when they saw they were behind. And I'm not ashamed to say I was with them. Let me throw away that typical school-girl aegyo for a moment because, if they're doing it to win, I'm pulling out all the stops.

Two minutes to go and I only had one bowl left while the boys were starting their fourth. And while they were absolutely unrecognisable under the dried-on cream and chocolate chips, I hadn't a drop on me at all. Of course, I won. But unfortunately none of the guys finished before the eight minutes which meant they would have to pay for the icecream. On top of that Chunji was the last to finish so he would have to pay for everyone's icecream that they ordered before. After everyone had dispersed, the three of them looked half dead.

"Who's dumb idea was it to do this again?" Byunghun moaned as he slumped back in the seat. We all turned to Sungyeol who simply fell on the floor silently. "At least most of the icecream was free. You shouldn't turn down free food."

"It's not free for me! I have to pay for everything!" Chunji moaned but quickly rolled over onto his side, clutching his heart. For some reason he still hadn't stopped smiling since I first saw him, I suppose that's his thing. I pretended for fun and feigned a heart attack with a giggle. He laughed and shook his head.

"Don't complain. You're my hyung anyway so that's how it goes," Byunghun muttered as Chunji slowly tumbled off the seat and dragged his feet to the counter. Me, being absolutely fine, bounced up beside him.

"Let me pay for half of it," I whispered. He looked at me in shock. "I'm your noona anyway. Besides I don't even feel sick."

"That's not fair. I came last," he mumbled. I didn't say anything so he started fidgeting and chuckling awkwardly. I quickly left the money and walked back before he could disagree.

Sungyeol had recovered from his fall on the floor and was back to staring at the ceiling. How can he be bored again? Where does that energy come from?

"I thought you died?" I said to him casually, sitting back down.

"I don't go down that easily. But maknae here seems to have some trouble stomaching it," he chuckled. We both tilted our heads at lifeless Byunghun in front of us. He didn't move. "Such a shame."

"I think those two will be out of it."

"Good. That's what I planned for." I spun around quickly to him in surprise and he let out a small laugh. "Well that's what you get when you pick up strays on our date." I froze up a bit and panicked at his comment. In the end I hit him hard on his arm and he flinched a little. "Wanna go?" He inclined to Byunghun and then Chunji, who had fallen asleep on the counter. I sighed and shrugged before we both left out the door.

"Where are we going?" I asked Sungyeol as we strolled lazily down the hill which overlooked the city at sunset. He shrugged and smiled down at me. "Do you have a plan?"

"Of course," he laughed.

"Oh? So what is it?"

"Well," he dragged out, taking my hand in his without thinking. "Let's go everywhere."