Red Stickers

Oppa Hates You

Haneul's POV

 

"Noona, I'm scared..."Jinho trembled down the phone. I bit my nails frantically as I stared out of the window of the bus. It was beginning to become morning so the streets were quiet.

"Jinho-ah.....don't be. Just talk to me and tell me what happened," I mumbled soothingly, masking that I was probably just as worried as him.

"They came yesterday...I didn't know. When I got home I found red notes everywhere....and I couldn't ask mum what they were but I guess I already knew," he sobbed. I could hear him breathing very shallowly so I couldn't imagine what my mum was feeling at that moment.

"Don't worry, dongsaeng. Where's mum right now?" I said calmly.

"She's here....but. Noona, she's not herself. She's drunk again," he whispered. "I was by myself last night until she came home from drinking; I think she'd seen them come around and decided to go out because of it."

"No....this can't be happening. Jinho...." I had absolutely no idea what to say to my brother. He was terrified and I couldn't help him because I was the same. I'm a terrible sister. "How is she doing?"

"She's crying in the corner of the kitchen. And she's broken into a bottle of wine as well. What do I do, Noona?"

"Okay listen carefully, Jinho-ah. First, you should very carefully take the bottle from her and put it somewhere she can't get at- throw it away if you have to. If you can't do it let her be. Just don't leave her side and stay where you are. I'm on my way home and I'm coming as quickly as possible, okay? Don't worry."

"Okay, Noona," he sobbed, hanging up. I would have to talk to Woohyun another time, if I ever get to see him again. For now I have my own problems.

As soon as the bus got to my stop I jumped off and ran as fast as I could home. The lights were on and I fumbled to find my keys desperately but Jinho opened the door. He clung to me like glue as we crept towards the kitchen. As I walked I noticed the cards of repossession stuck on various objects and my stomach flipped. When we reached the kitchen I saw the floor was a mess with tissues and there was a pungent smell of alcohol hanging in the air.

"Jinho, it's okay. You can let go since they're gone now," I said gently, my brother's hair. He released his tight grip on my shirt and stood rigid with his hands behind his back. "Right let's sort this mess out, okay?"

He nodded and took in a deep breathe, holding back his tears.

"They came for the rent but we didn't have the money, am I right?" I said in a clear voice. He nodded sharply. "So we're going to have to get some money quickly. That's all we need to do." He nodded again and his eyes brightened slightly.

"Noona, do we have to find jobs?" Jinho squeeked.

"Yes. Exactly that. If mum is unemployed or whatever's going on then we should help her out."

I peered around the table and saw my mum on the floor, sleeping and cradling an empty wine bottle in her arms. I frowned and faced my brother.

"She wouldn't let go of it," he shrugged. "Can I have permission to leave the house?"

"Sure. What for?"

"They took the computer first so I want to go to the PC bang to look for jobs online," he replied innocently. I nodded and he instantly raced out of the door. The room was left quiet and muggy. I opened the windows to let out the stuffy air and started to clean the floor whilst my mum was stirring gently in her sleep. After I was done I stood outside of the house to make a call.

"Hello, is this Cafe Chocolat?" I asked, holding up the number I had taken down from the mall poster. I knew it was a good idea to do it.

"Yes this is, how can I help you?" a young lady replied.

"I'm calling in interest of your job vacancy. Is the place still open?" I was quite certain it was. It was only yesterday that I saw the poster in the cafe window so I could still get the job.

"Ah, you're interested in applying? It is in fact still open and we're in desperate need of extra hands since one of our workers is taking a leave. It would actually be very helpful if you came today for an interview and induction because I'm on my own here."

"Oh really? Today? Well yes I can..." I chirped, starting to become excited at the prospect. Out of the corner of my eye, I sensed someone watching me curiously. As I turned around I saw Woohyun observing me with a frown from his doorstep. "Um...my name is Yoon Haneul by the way," I said whilst returning a confused frown back at him. He shrugged and mouthed a 'what are you doing?' to me.

"Alright see you soon, Yoon Haneul. Goodbye," the woman said. I hung up and put the phone in my pocket. Woohyun strode up to me and cocked his head curiously.

"What?" I said, watching his eyes bore into me.

"What are you doing? You left the hospital without a goodbye," He said coldly.

"No, you did that."

"But...you didn't wait for me. I told you to wait for me..." He whispered the last part but I caught what he said anyway. "I came all the way back from Japan and you can't wait to run away from me again. You're making me follow you around everywhere. If you went to japan I would have followed you.." he muttered again.

"Yah! Stop muttering and speak so I can understand you!" I said, becoming irritated. Are we still being so childish as to whisper our thoughts to ourselves instead of telling each other?!

I started tapping my foot loudly and he quickly became uncomfortable, noticing I was in a bad mood. Suddenly the atmosphere was shattered when a loud 'thump!' was heard from inside. Woohyun exchanged with me a worried glance before we bothed rushed inside and I found my mum had fallen after trying to stand.

"Mum?! What are you doing, sit down," I ushered, going to her side and sitting her in a chair.

"I'm.....thristy...." she wheezed, pointing to the fridge. I mouthed Woohyun to get something since he was standing awkwardly. He gave me a bottle of water and I handed it to my mum. "Thanks, Haneul. You're a lovely daughter. And thank you...for being here as well...." she slurred to Woohyun. "Who...who are you?"

"Er, mum this is Woohyun. He's our neighbour and he used to go to my school," I quickly said before Woohyun said something stupid.

"Oh, of course I thought I'd seen you before. What a handsome young man..." she mumbled almost inaudibly. "Very handsome..."

"I think you should rest. I'm going out right now so you just stay here, okay?" I told her. She nodded slowly and started to close her eyes. "Woohyun I'm going." Quickly I grabbed some money and hurried to the door but something grabbed my wrist.

"Wait, do you need help? I don't really understand what's going on," he pleaded, looking around worriedly at the little red stickers. "But if I can help in any way-"

"No it's fine. Just- I need to go now so-"

"Haneul! I'm offering to help. What do you need me to do?" he demanded, pulling at my wrist and spinning me around so I faced him. I glared at his hand and he eased his grip.

"I don't know. Maybe you can just stay with my mum for now," I muttered before turning and running out of the door.

__________________________

"So to finish it off you ask them for a desired topping and if they want chocolate flakes that costs more. Is that okay?" Hara my co-worker asked. I nodded after taking in all that she had taught me about the job. All of a sudden I was thrown into the deep end in a matter of minutes and now she's already asking me to do her shift.

"Erm but I thought I was supposed to have an interview first. Am I already starting?" I asked.

"Yes yes. My shift is over but the cafe doesn't close until 6 today. You don't mind do you. We'll pay you upfront tomorrow morning when you come in. Tomorrow starts at 9."

"Really?!" I chirped. It was relieving to hear that I'd get some kind of money straight away, just as a back up incase the rent collectors came for a suprise visit. "Alright I better get started then."

"Great! I'll see you tomorrow morning. Bye!" Hara said, leaving me alone to run the cafe. A few people were sat drinking their late morning coffee but I'd expect more people to come around lunch time. After ten minutes of waiting for non-existant customers I got a call. I rolled my eyes at the ID but nonetheless still got those excited jitters and a slight feeling of guilt as well.

"Haneul, I need to talk to you..."

"What is it? Is my mum okay?!"

"Ugh your mum is fine. She's asleep but that's not what I wanted to talk about."

"Oh well then I guess-" I began but at that moment the bell above the door jingled and a customer walked in. "Hang on a minute." I put my phone down on the counter and faced the young man. "What would you like today, sir?"

"One medium coffee to go, please," he said. I nodded and made his coffee whilst squeeky noises came from my phone. I managed to pick out a 'who are you talking to?!' from Woohyun which earned me a weird look from the customer. I smiled and shrugged. The guy was busy looking at his phone and noticed me shamelessly trying to get a view of what was so interesting. He smirked and showed me an article about some new CEO. "This new guy, they say he's going to be very influential...especially with his crazy red hair. It should be exciting for you getting a new boss."

I laughed with him even though I don't know my current boss. Maybe it's a good time to get a job here then. The customer then left me with my squeeky phone.

"Yah!" I yelled, picking up the phone. "I'm busy so just calm down, stupid! Why are you getting so worked up?!"

"Well I don't know what you're doing, do I?"

"Just cut to the point and tell me what you wanted to say."

"Well there's something I was going to tell you once I got back to the hospital....I already said it but I guess.....you were asleep," he mumbled nervously. I softened my voice and smiled at his cute awkwardness. "No, it's too embarassing."

"Go on."

"Umm...lets run away together."

For a good long minute I stood there soaking in his words but I never really got it. It sounded really familiar and natural but right now I was wide awake and it wouldn't be normal to respond as I did before.

"Is this a joke?" I asked cautiously. Whatever the reply was, I had ruined the mood anyway.

"No...I'm serious."

"That's...silly. Why would I run away with you?"

"Don't you like me? I like you so what's silly?"

"But....why?"

He sighed and I heard him let out a small tired groan. I felt a little bad for causing him so much stress and I just wanted to say yes to whatever he asked for, just to make up for it. "I'm already running. Running away from my father and.... my new job. I...am the next CEO of Nam Cooporations, Haneul. Even though I opposed to it so much my father is still making me do this. That's why we should just leave together now before it's too late."

"Woah really?! That's awesome! Don't run away this is an amazing opportunity! Hang on-" I cut short as an epiphany came to me. I quickly turned to the cafe's TV and switched it to a news channel. And there was Woohyun, striding confidently out of the Nam Coorps office with shocking red hair on the screen with captions stating he was the new CEO. "Woohyun, you're on the TV!"

"Ugh, this is terrible. Is it too late to run away with you?"

"What are you talking about?! Accept the job right now!" I laughed. "This is amazing." Somewhere in the back of my mind, I couldn't help comparing his situation to mine and I became slightly bitter for a moment.

"If you say so, Haneul, then I'll do it. And one last thing... there's a party being hosted for me. May I have the honour of having you as my guest?" He asked politely like a true gentleman. My heart skipped a beat and I could feel the excitement bubbling up at the thought of going to a fancy part on Woohyun's arm.

"I'd be glad to."