Protecting You

Oppa Hates You

"Do you believe in fate, Haneul?"

"I don't know anything about that. That stuff makes me... uncomfortable."

"I used to trust fate. I believed that when you don't know what to do, you should just accept where the stars may take you."

"That's a bit irresponsible-"

"You never change do you? But you're right. Time and time again I came back to the start. And then all of a sudden I found my best friend who never cared about this stuff was able to make my ex-boyfriend happy when I couldn't. That's when I threw my hope away. If I was to break from the cycle, I would have to take things into my own hands."

"You've changed a lot, Soyeon."

"So have you, Haneul."

______________________________________________________

 

"Haneul-ah! Haneuuuuul-ah!" Woohyun called. I could see his figure among the bright lights in the distance by the back of the hotel as I sat on the bench-swing at the far end of the garden. He had no clue where I was, it was quite funny watching him searching in the dark.

But any content I felt was dampened by the memories of his cold attitude. Even if I assumed it was for his image, there was something off about his face when he looked at me. Something told me it was more than just him at work.

"Haneul-ah?! Where are you, damn it? It's freezing!" he yelled. Go inside then and stop searching if you're cold! I mentally yelled to him. "You must be freezing," he trembled. He was worried about me? He gently padded across the cool grass towards me, and at about 20 feet from me, he seemed to have got the idea I was sitting somewhere in the dark. "Haneul? Are you okay?"

Slowly he came closer until I could see the outline of his face in the moonlight. He sighed out of relief and sat down on the bench next to me, giving me a tight embrace out of nowhere and burying his face in my hair.

"I was looking everywhere for you!" he whined into my hair. "How are you? You're not hurt too much are you?"

I quickly pushed him off of me and stared at him in shock. He looked slightly hurt but I couldn't really tell. "YAH! What do you think you're doing?! What if someone saw?" I hissed. He bit his trembling lower lip and narrowed his eyes.

"No one will see," he insisted stubbornly. "Even I couldn't find you out here."

"Why are you even here? Why did you come to find me?" I whispered, trying not to be offensive or show I was hurt.

"Haneul..." he began. "Are you upset with me?"

"Yes," I said bluntly. Unexpectedly he didn't answer. He didn't say one thing to defend himself and it was getting kind of irritating. "Is that it? You're not going to explain yourself?"

"I can't. I'm guilty."

"Why...? You're the one who invited me. But it had to be Sungyeol and Myungsoo who took care of me here." My voice was beginning to choke up so I ended before I started crying. Woohyun however wouldn't continue at all and sharply stood up, dusting himself off without even consoling me once.

"You'll understand soon enough, Haneul." With that he walked off back to the party again, not saying anything more. He didn't say anything like sorry. He didn't even tell me why.

Grudgingly knowing he expected me to return to the party, I got up and followed him; and thankfully before hand Soyeon had fixed my messy hair and bloodstained legs. My dress wasn't really torn as well so maybe no one would notice me standing there.

At that moment a hush flooded through the crowds and the hall hummed with suspense. A man in his late forties, who exuberated power and authority, strode onto the stage and spoke through a microphone to the party.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for attending this party to congratulate my youngest son in taking on this role of following my footsteps in becoming our company's new CEO," he said. A loud applause errupted through the people and I clapped along too. "He's been working very hard to meet expectations so I hope everyone accepts him warmly. Please welcome my son, Nam Woohyun."

Woohyun's father gestured his arm to the side and everyone applauded again as Woohyun stepped on stage, taking the microphone, with a gleaming smile for the cameras. The flashes never stopped drinking up his charm.

"Hello everyone," he spoke, his voice smooth and trustworthy. I didn't know whether to buy it or not. "Thank you for the warm welcome. Is everyone enjoying their evening?" he asked cheekily, raising his eyebrows and pointing the microphone to the crowd. All the crazy fans at the front screamed out their 'yes!' and the ahjussis and ahjummas at the back smiled and praised him. He's very popular, just like at school.

"I'm glad," he chuckled, winking slyly and taking back the mic.

____________________________________________________

 

Woohyun vers.

I promised Haneul that I would be back by her side soon, but after a good half an hour of talking to our Chinese chain representative, I was starting to feel like I'd never get a chance to slip away. He was such an enthusiastic man.

I rolled my eyes, thinking it couldn't get worse, when he invited his friends over to chat as well. They wouldn't let me leave, I was sure of it, or even let me sneak a glance to see where Haneul was.

At one point a small voice said "Umm...Woohyun? Oppa?" and my heart was literally shattering thinking it was Haneul. I wanted to turn around so badly but her into the conversation was a bad idea. I instantly regretted not doing so when I heard Sungyeol's voice invite her to join Infinite. Why couldn't I spend my party with my friends?

Finally the men moved on and I could find Haneul again. But I never got the chance, seeing her busy with her best friend. And then my father showed up. That was when it all went wrong.

"Son! Good job, my boy. You're working very hard," he said, slamming his hand on my back. "I'm proud of you, taking on this role. You can't be doing this half-heartedly you know."

"I get that," I said, avoiding my father's stern gaze. "And you can't be making me do this for free. I want terms of my own."

"Don't be stupid, Woohyun. Becoming CEO is obligatory."

"Well if you're putting it that way," I began, putting down my champagne and making to leave.

"Wait! Don't do this Woohyun," my dad begged. He sighed heavily in defeat. "Alright, I'll allow you no more than three conditions."

With a satisfied smile, I faced my father again and crossed my arms. "Number 1: You let me continue in the idol competition with Infinite."

"Okay, fair enough," he said thoughtfully with his hand to his chin. "And?"

"Number 2: You let me be with Haneul."

"What?! I can't do that." He seemed to be very irritated with my comment but I couldn't understand why. He doesn't even know Haneul. "That's not possible, son. I mean you could but it will be an inconvenience to the plans we already have for you."

"You said you'd allow me my conditions. Aren't you going to keep your word?" I urged him. There was no way I was letting my dad take over my whole life. "I'm already becoming CEO. Just let me live the rest of my life by myself."

"Son, I don't think you understand. We made arrangements before you were even born. Would you like me to explain?" he said. My father was too good a speaker for me to refuse. I was getting curious as to what reasons they didn't want me to be with Haneul.

"Please go on."

"We have a few options for your career. Of course you'll be the head of the company so that was sorted out. Along with that goes your designated apartment which we'll be giving you the keys to soon," he spoke smoothly. It didn't seem to be going too bad. I liked the idea that they'd give me my own apartment, also the idea I could invite Haneul around whenever I wanted too. "Lastly, we as not only your parents but also the managing directors of the company, found it important we should be the ones to find you a wife-"

"Wife?! I'm 19!"

"Don't interrupt, Woohyun," he said harshly. "You're not any ordinary 19 year old so different rules apply for you. Don't worry, we know of a lovely bunch of girls who will boost your image nicely."

"I don't want to marry some old ahjumma! I'm still in school!" I moaned, slamming my palm to my forehead.

"Don't be stupid," he said, hitting me on the back. "It's true most are older than you slightly but not all. The point is that they will be of the appropriate social standing. I assume this Haneul girl isn't an elite so it's best if you don't have any more contact with her for her own good. You might hurt her if you do. You didn't invite her here did you?"

At that moment I was about to continue arguing with my dad but a sudden crash echoed throughout the hall and then a ominous silence. I followed everyone's surprised gazes to the source of the noise and my heart froze seeing Haneul and her best friend lying in a mess of glass, food and glistening red liquid.

My father scoffed next to me and tutted disapprovingly whilst I felt like running to Haneul's side and cradling her in my arms. She'd fallen and was hurt. Sungyeol came out of nowhere and I was about to stop him, thinking he was reaching for Haneul, but instead he helped Soyeon who was his date to the party. Soyeon wasn't hurt since she seemed to have been protected by Haneul so she was awake and sobbing as Sungyeol ushered her away from the scene like a gentleman.

But murmurs spread like wildfire as Haneul continued to lie on the floor. I didn't dare move an inch, hearing the comments about her. If I helped her now, they'd know she was with me. My father would go crazy, knowing no girl would marry me because of her.

My heart fluttered dramatically as her eyes slowly flickered open and she sat up. No one made a move to help her and neither did they stop whispering rude and cruel things. I felt like punching everyone.

She started to call my name out and I knew I would be in trouble. My father looked at me in confusion and disbelief as she shouted my name, giving me no choice but to avoid her and pretend she wasn't Haneul; I'd have to protect her. If my father knew that was her, he'd never change his mind.

Finally she was barely mouthing to me and I could just about turn away with a burning heart, heavy with guilt.

"That's not Haneul, is it?" my father warned me. I looked at my feet and shook my head. "Do you know her?"

"No."

"Ah, I see. Well anyway. I'm afraid you'll have to announce that you're looking for a wife in your speech tonight, Woohyun.  I'll be looking forward to it. You're doing me proud."