Arrangements

Oppa Hates You

"You should take a shower, appa. You must be very tired from the long journey," I said to my dad as our family sat around the table to catch up with his story. We'd been chatting mindlessly for hours, just to hear his voice. He nodded with a warm smile and put a hand on my back.

"You're right, Haneul. You've always been so considerate," he said, getting up and leaving the room. As soon as he left, the room felt cold again, as if he'd taken the warmth with him. All of a sudden, his re-appearance had brought back an atmosphere we instantly became accustomed to. It felt like he'd been there all along.

"So all this time...disappearing off for years.... he couldn't...." my mother began. She was probably trying to confirm what we all feared. I nodded to her with a sad look, biting my lip to stop it from trembling. "What will we do?"

"We should have thought about this before. He gave us 6 years, that's enough time to formulate a plan. After the first year that he didn't bring back news we should have known to do something...." I sighed. My mother nodded and hung her head down while my brother gave me a disapproving glare.

"You don't need to say it like that, noona. Saying that won't solve anything," he said sternly.

"Well, what can I say? It's true and this problem needs to be addressed. We shouldn't have depended on dad to get our finances back on track."

"That's the past now. He's returned and we're back to where we started. Our money's run out." Jinho covered his face with his hands and stared pleadingly towards the ceiling. My mother drummed her fingernails on the table, then proceeded to bite them off. "Mum, don't do that. Calm down, no one blames you," he soothed to my guilty-looking mother. She smiled shyly and looked away.

"Maybe it's time we sent you kids away..." my mother said in a voice that was almost too quiet to hear. But we caught what she said for sure.

"WHAT?!" me and Jinho said at the same time. My mum didn't even twitch. "We're not leaving. Absolutely not," I said with conviction.

"Oh my children, you don't understand that it would be better for you two not to get the backlash of your parents' stupidity. There's no need for you to suffer because of us," my mum reasoned.

"We're not going. We're old enough now to say we're not going," Jinho said, suddenly sounding very mature. When did my younger brother suddenly become so mature? My mother sighed and frowned at the both of us.

"Well if you're going to stay, you can't simply do nothing. Jinho, I know you're too young to get a full time job and Haneul, I know you're busy as well at school and you've already done so well making money part time but....." she sighed again and looked at me with sorrowful, appologetic eyes. I leaned away, slightly afraid. "What will you two do so that you can stay?"

"I'll get more jobs," I suggested. My brother nodded, seconding the motion. My mother shook her head regretfully.

"No, that won't do. I can't tell you the details but I will say, our situation isn't just about the house- or anything to do with either of you even- that's why simply getting another part time job won't cover our debts and pay rent etc. You two can't fix this."

"Then what do we do?" I begged her. She seemed to know the answer but was so unwilling to tell me, it was as if she didn't even like the idea herself. "Tell me, what do I do?"

"Haneul, I....I think you should go..." she muttered. Of course I didn't leave. I would wait until she told me. "Alright. I'm not saying you have to do it. It's just a suggestion...

When your father left 6 years ago, it wasn't because he had business overseas to sort out. Yoon inc. was actually suffering quite a bit so he left the country to find investors and work to also pay off the depts he owed. Our good friends, the Kims were the last to hear of him. You know, the parents of that Myungsoo kid-"

"Yeah, I know who the Kims are. But why is the problem so big?" I said.

She continued and said, "Well Kim International told us that all of your father's investors had backed out, seeing the fall of the company. You see the problem is a lot bigger than how we explained it to you. So for 6 years, your father couldn't return until he had sorted out this problem. We've basically used up all our savings since he's gone and still nothing has been achieved.

Now we have our last resort left: our children."

"No...." As I took in what she said, my heart felt heavier and heavier by the second. It was as if my greatest nightmare that I had worked so hard to forget about had finally come back to haunt me. This time, in this desperate situation, I can't run away. "Please, I can't do this. Mum, don't make me go back to that life..."

"I'm sorry, honey. What else can we do?"

"I can't...." I sobbed, feeling the cold tears brim over my eyes. I hated all of them, all of them who made me hate them. Those who ruined my life and made me an empty shell, I can't see them again. I can't work with those people. "You're making me take over the company?"

"Haneul, how could we do such a thing?!" my mum outburst. She seemed to be flustered that I would suggest something like that, but deep inside that was what she was suggesting herself. The life I once had, but could finally get rid of, was back. "How could we hand over a company that's in such a wreck to our daughter?! We can't do that....before we do one other thing that is...."

I wiped away my tears, ready to listen, but it was useless as they came back again. Jinho gave me a tissue but I pushed it away. I knew my brother understood, but he didn't have to go through what I did; he was too young to care back then. "What is it that I have to do?!"

"We were thinking, maybe the company can work together with another. We still have some close links with us, such as the Kims, but they won't go anywhere near our situation. They're only close personally; meaning if we stay good friends and on their side, they'll be partial to helping us out more. That's the only way to do it...." my mum paused for a minute and bit her lip. She stared with wide eyes at the table and started biting her nails again, only for my brother to yank her hand away from .

"Mum! Just spit it out!" I yelled. She whipped her head up and looked at me pitifully. It was about time.

"We should arrange you a marriage."

 

_______________________________________

Sitting in my room, I took my phone out to check my messages. I got a series of texts, the last one was recieved two hours ago.

 

15:30~ From Woohyun:

Haneul-aaaaah! (o⌒.⌒o) How are you, have you been eating? I missed you today because I didn't get to see you all day. I went to your house this morning but you had already left for school. 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。You leave pretty early, I hope not because you're trying to avoid me.

 

I sighed as I debated on how to reply. Should I tell him about my trip to the seaside or not? No, he probably wouldn't care about my stupid life. As I scrolled, my eyes widened as I realized he really did want to talk.

 

15:40~ From Woohyun:

Haneul-ah! ╥﹏╥ Please talk to me, it's not so good for me right now. Being CEO is hard and my dad is making me give three potential fiances some challenges to find out who's suitable. (>д<)It's so irritating to do this, but one of the girls is really nice. I have a feeling you two would get along well. You have similar personalities.(。’▽’。)♡

 

15:42~ From Woohyun:

Neul-iiii!!!!!!  (;*△*;) Why aren't you replying? Are you taking an exam at the moment? School's finished right now isn't it? (☆^O^☆) Please reply to me! It's so boring on my own, can't you get home quickly and come around? 。◕‿◕。 I don't mind to wait for you, don't worry. See you soon!         (ノ>▽<。)ノ  Bbuing bbuing!

 

16:02~ From Woohyun:

If you don't reply in 10 minutes, I'll take it you're ignoring me.

 

I hadn't replied in ten minutes. Now that two hours had passed already, it didn't seem appropriate to text back. The guilt built up as I clucked my tongue randomly, sitting on my bed. Maybe I should check up on him? At least just to make sure he hasn't hurt himself or anything.

With that decided, I ran down the stairs, not even bothering to get a coat, and skipped just next door. I rang the bell, waiting for the house keeper to open the door, but instead the door surveillance camera and a male voice asked me, "Yes, who is it?"

"Umm...I'm Yoon Haneul?" I tentatively said into the grid. There was a muffled humming from the machine before the door clacked open.

"Ah yes, you came yesterday didn't you. I recognise you but I wasn't warned you'd be visiting today as well. Welcome in," the voice said. What? I didn't come yesterday... Regardless, I shook off the comment and walked in, once again taking awe of his house. Woohyun's house is so much nicer than mine.

I caught sight of the house keeper staring at me in shock as I tiptoed up the staircase, so I pressed my finger to my lip and she nodded. When she walked away, I proceeded to finding Woohyun's room. That in fact wasn't too hard; assuming it was the room that had angry teenage boy mutterings coming from it. I pressed my ear to the door excitedly.

"Why....aren't.....you.....replying? Do....you...hate...me....now? I'm...trying....to...find....time....for you...but..." Woohyun was muttering angrily from the other side of the door. It sounded like he was furiously texting. 

"Who are you texting tooooo?" I sang, suddenly bursting though the door and grinning. I instantly regretted it. Woohyun spun around instantly and let out a high-pitched horror movie girl scream and threw a bedsheet over his topless self, staring at me in complete terrified shock.

"HANEUL?! What the hell?!" Woohyun screamed, clutching onto the sheet. I stood stiff as a board before snapping out and spinning around. I cringed and bit my lip from the embarassment, mentally cursing myself.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I squeeked in a mouse voice as I heard Woohyun probably dressing himself.

"How can you burst into a boy's room like that? Have you no shame?!" Woohyun said, still really high pitched. I closed my eyes tightly as I wobbled around to face him again. "You can open your eyes now."

As I opened them and frowned at his choice of attire, I said, "Well how can you text me wearing no shirt? And then choose to put on penguin PJs?"

"Yah! I had to put on the closest thing to me! And it's comfortable..." he muttered. "Wait, why are you here?"

"Oh, what a nice welcome. Thanks a lot. I'm here because you asked me to be here, stupid!"

"Ohhhh.....sorry," Woohyun muttered, shamefully giving me the innocent puppy look that had begun as annoying but then started to win me over. It was almost cute; if he didn't overdo it with the fists to cheeks and puffy lips I'd forgive him without question. "Well do you want to sit down?"

"Oh, right!" I said, realizing I was still standing stiff as a board. Woohyun shuffled over on his bed and patted the space beside him for me to sit down on, his small eyes sparkling. "What?" I asked, suddenly feeling self concious when he was staring at me.

"Nothing!" he laughed.

"So umm... how's your day been. No,um. Oh shoot, I mean..." I stuttered, making a fool of myself. Suddenly, so quickly that I doubted whether it really happened, Woohyun gave me a tight but warm back hug along with a "You're so cute!" making me freeze up all over again.

When I turned around with widened shocked eyes, he raised his eyebrows innocently as if he hadn't done anything. "Anyway....so what's your future wife like; the girl you said I'd get along with?"

"Oh yeah," he began, rubbing the back of his neck. "She's a lot like you actually. She's really mature and not ty or rude or nerdy or selfish. And also she doesn't really like me, just like you don't-"

"I like you!" I interrupted. Realising what I just came out with, I clamped both my hands over my mouth and cringed, watching Woohyun go into shock. I let out a small breathe when he chuckled and carried on.

"Okay, well if the judgemental Yoon Haneul is able to like me, then maybe I have a chance with this girl!" he laughed. For some reason, that comment stopped me from laughing with him. I didn't want her to like him. That just means he doesn't need me anymore if she's with him... "Haneul?"

"What?" I snapped out of my daze. Woohyun gave me a worried look but I just put on a smile that wouldn't seem too fake.

"I guess she'll fall for me anyway. All the girls do eventually," he sighed. I hope he's not going back to those days again... This kid is so hard to manage. "Even though she's similar to you- in both looks and character- I don't think it will take as long for her to like me. I mean we became good friends after I stopped being a jerk. I'm not too mean that she'll ignore me like you did before, since I'm more respectful these days. Maybe I can skip the whole following her around for weeks stage and start to get to know each other from the beginning. Saves a lot of drama."

"I'm sorry, Woohyun, for ignoring you those times. I should have been appretiative when you tried to be nice. I shouldn't have been so harsh and judged you  back then because I was actually the one at fault. You were so nice and I was so mean-"

"Haneul?!" Woohyun interrupted my long gush of words. "What are you saying?" I didn't stop though as I pleaded to him. Tears were starting to brim over my eyes but I held them back. I would tell Woohyun all that I've felt, these past months, before I break down. He finally needs to know.

"I'm sorry, Woohyun. I'm so sorry that I wasn't grateful and I can't make up for it. Please forgive me," I continued. "I don't want you to get married and forget about me because you've found a girl that can replace me. I don't want you to leave me for this girl who's perfect for you; who has social standing and is kind and talented and mature and approved by your father!"

Woohyun stared at me with wide eyes, frantically searching deep into my eyes to find where it was all coming from. His hands were tight fists as I told him.

"I don't want to be a bad memory that you just want to get rid of because I caused you so much pain. I made you risk your life to save me when I was cornered by strangers and when I was kidnapped and I've made you so mad that you'd get in a car accident to forget about me and I embarrassed you and created a scanel in front of everyone at your party twice. I've been so horrible but now I'm begging you for forgiveness but I don't think I could handle it seeing you, who's been so kind to me, go... I'm begging you, won't you forgive me and stop your dad from making you get married? Please, don't leave me..." I sobbed.

I felt no relief as my heart clenched tightly, compressing in on itself. I had poured out all my feelings at once that I had been bottling up since I found out I liked Woohyun. All the guilt that had been building up. All the times I was ignorant. Soyeon was right; I'm hopeless and blind and I can't see when people are nice to me. I couldn't tell Woohyun before. It hurt so much. And it still hurts.

I closed my eyes tightly and clutched at my chest as two warm, comforting arms wrapped themselves around me. I melted at his touch and finally let the tears go, once again taking advantage that I have his shoulder to cry on. A shoulder that would never say no to me. That would always do anything to please me and make me happy. That won't be there anymore.

"Haneul, I don't want me to get married, either. I won't leave you, I promise. I just wish there was some way that I could convince my dad I've found my dream wife myself..." Woohyun whispered into my hair. His warm, delicate breathe easing my tension. I carried on silently sobbing into his shoulder.

"Wha...." I croaked, trying to catch my breathe. I looked up at Woohyun's face but his eyes were tightly shut and his face buried into my hair. "Wha- what do you mean?"

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!" a loud, booming voice sounded from the door. It was so vicous that it could curdle blood, and for a moment my heart stopped, knowing who it belonged to. It would of course with no doubt be the man I hated most in the world right now. "IT'S YOU!"

"Dad?! What are you doing back home so early?!" Woohyun said, letting go of me. Suddenly, I felt a sharp and merciless jab at my hair as Woohyun's father grabbed hold of it and pulled me violently from the bed. All my will power to fight him had drained from me, along with my tears.

"You're that girl from the party! Why are you here?! Who the hell let you into my house and see my son?!" his father screamed murderously into my ear as I winced. "How did you even get in here?! I don't let dirty girls who cause trouble like you into my house!"

"Dad?! What the hell?" Woohyun yelled, getting up and shoving away his father's grip on my hair. He held me close to his chest and turned me away, standing in between me and his father. "Don't you dare touch her!"

"Woohyun, don't be such a child. I don't know what methods she used to get to you but she's just going to cause trouble. I thought you told me you didn't know her...?" his father said calmly. I stared up at Woohyun with scared and confused eyes. He said he didn't know me?

"I do know her. And I'm not letting you go anywhere near her, so stay away from me and my personal life," Woohyun said, his voice deep and manacing.

"You stupid boy! Don't you speak to your father like that!" his dad continued, getting worked up again. He shoved Woohyun aside and grabbed onto me again, dragging me to the door as I helplessly stumbled behind him.

"No! Leave her alone!" Woohyun screamed, running down the hall after me. "Please dad, let her go!"

"You're getting married very soon, Woohyun, and you're still inviting worthless girls like this into our home?! We don't need this scum to ruin the image of Nam Coorporations!" Down the stairs, Woohyun's father marched, yanking me ruthlessly by the roots of my hair. I tripped and fell trying to keep up but he wouldn't stop. And Woohyun wouldn't stop either as he ran behind me.

"No, dad! Don't do this!" he cried as we reached the ground floor. "I beg you, please."

A man in a black jacket and baseball cap came running from a small room, on account of hearing the screaming and commotion. "Is everything alright, sir?" he asked.

"No, everything is not alright! Who let this child into my house?!" Woohyun's father shouted at the man. His face contorted as he looked at me and then panic flashed across his eyes.

"Oh no. I'm sorry sir, I thought she was the girl that came yesterday. They look very similar," he trembled, looking at the ground. Woohyun's father's face was dead straight and unamused. He gritted his teeth and proceeded to march to the front door.

"You stupid man! How can you muddle up this third grade girl with my beautiful, future daughter-in-law, Mirae?!" he yelled, dragging me to the door. He swung it open and shoved me roughly, but out of nowhere Woohyun pulled me from him and grabbed hold of me from in front. I clung onto him for dear life.

"Dad, don't you call her such horrible things! She's not third grade. She's not even second grade. To me she's the most precious thing in my life and you have no right to throw her out like this. I can see who I want!" he defended me, his voice ferocious like the other times he had protected me. Once again, I was depending on Woohyun, and it pained me. I always cause him trouble.

"Woohyun, boy. Move now!" his father yelled, throwing Woohyun aside. Without looking once at me, he pushed me with great force out of the door until I fell onto the pavement. I stared up at the man, standing disgusted in the doorway as I lay on the cold ground. "You're getting married for heaven's sake. Stop playing around! I'm telling you now, my son, this is the last time you're ever seeing this girl again!"

With that, he slamed the door shut, and then it was quiet. Muffled yelling came from inside and I smiled at Woohyun's passionate protesting. But it was too late and it did nothing. I wasn't welcome.

 

_________________________________________________

A/N Oh my gosh guys, I cried so much writing this. TT^TT I want Haneul and Woohyun to be together so bad it's painful for me. They finally like each other but then stupid Nam appa and his arrangement..... I want to kill off Nam appa right now that stupid idiot! Ruining the lovely romance....¬¬ Let's all find out what will happen next, neh?

Don't forget to comment! Thank you so much if you already have because it means so much to me and keeps me writing! ^^ So comment away....! Not just sometimes but as often as possible so to motivate me! Hwaiting! XD

Tell me your reaction to this chapter....

Tell me what you liked best in the story....

And tell me what you think will happen now!