The Jjimjilbang Experience

Oppa Hates You

A/N: Woah didn't even realize I made MyungYeolJong in the last chapter XD Anyway it's chapter 40!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! ^^

BTW just to make things clear, I tried to leave some clues about Haneul and Myungsoo in past chapters such as in chapter 30 in the flashback and at the end of chapter 35. >,< But that's all I'm going to say ^^ Now you can read the chapter! ....

 

Woohyun's POV

 

"Woohyun, isn't it time already?" my father asked, patting his mouth with a napkin after we'd finished lunch. Well I say finished lunch but I'd lost my appetite and left all of my food on the plate.

"Umm...what?" I said, snapping out of my daze. My dad gave me a stern look that made sure I wouldn't dare embarass him. I suppose I'll have to force myself to be nice to these three girls. "Oh right..."

I cleared my throat and turned to the eager faces. "Before I choose who my bride will be, I'll be assessing your capabilities as of this moment to see if you deem fit for the role. I um...I made these up myself. My first mission for you girls is for each of you to go on a treasure hunt! This will be fun don't you think?" I cheered and clapped. And then I realized I was the only one clapping and was being stared at by four shocked, disbelieving faces. "No?"

"Woohyun....what is-" my father began but I quickly interrupted. I liked the idea of choosing a wife who wasn't uptight and liked to have fun.

"Okay so you guys will be looking around on my family's grounds for a saffire blue locket that I've hidden somewhere. The first one to come back to me with it will win this challenge because of course I'll be timing you as well. And the more challenges you win, the more likely I'll pick you as my wife," I said confidently. "I'll give you a clue to start off with. I've hidden this item in a place where life springs from the earth."

The four of them looked at me with blank faces but I shrugged it off. What could they say. "Well go then. Your time starts now!"

Yumi, the blonde one, bounced up happily, her eyes lit up with excitement. "Wah! This will be so easy! You girls don't stand a chance because I'm going to win this for sure! I'm going to be Nam Woohyun's wi~ife!!!" she sang, skipping away out of site. The tension was building as the other two stared at me awkwardly.

Seyoung abruptly stood up, her chair making a scraping noise on the floor, and clenched her fists. "What kind of test is this?! You expect me to search around the grounds for something you've hidden yourself?! What is the point, how does this test my capabilities?!" she blurted out.

I supressed a laugh and was about to reply with a snide comment but was shocked when Mirae beat me to it. "Aaaye...you're getting so worked up over a simple game. Is it because you think you can't win?" she laughed, raising her eyebrows at the girl. I smiled and laughed with her, exchanging a knowing look.

"WH-what?! Of course I can! That's not the poi- YAH! Where are you going?!" Seyoung screamed to Mirae who had already started running off laughing. Seyoung quickly followed her after huffing one last time to me. I smirked and leaned back in my chair, shrugging nonchalantly to my father's apprehensive gaze.

"What's wrong with some healthy competition?" I grinned. He nodded knowingly to show me he was letting me deal with my own problems in my own way. "I better go check up on them to see how they're getting on..."

I strode into the security room and tapped on our personal guard's shoulder. He turned around and nodded when he saw me, standing from his chair and leaving me in the room to watch the cameras around the house. "Wow I feel like a ert," I mumbled to myself, lounging back and cracking my knuckles. I smiled when I saw Mirae hopping around on the screen. She was walking down the hall on the second floor. Seyoung was opening cupboards in the games room whilst Yumi was in the kitchen playing with the taps for some reason.

"What is she doing? How would it be inside a tap?" I laughed at the screen.

Finally the chance I was waiting for came. Mirae had reached the end of the hall. Quickly I rushed out of the room as fast as I could so she wouldn't see me and ducked into a large closet used for storing winter blankets. I giggled to myself as I heard her footsteps coming closer. Tap..tap..tap. Suddenly, I opened the door as soon as she walked by and held my hand over to pull her into the room. She gasped and let out a muffled scream, kicking me in the shins and causing me to let go.

"Why....why did you kick me?!" I breathed out angrily, rubbing my bruising shins. Mirae gasped when she realized it was me and that she was in a karate stance, ready to beat me to a pulp.

"Oh my god, Woohyun-ssi! I'm so sorry!" she said. "I thought you were a kidnapper!"

"Why would there be a kidnapper in here? This is my house!" I laughed, trying to lighten the mood. I felt instantly relieved when she sighed and laughed as well.

"So what is the reason you pulled me into this room? You're taking up my time and I won't lose to the others, you know. I won't," she pouted, folding her arms childishly.

"Is the competition that important to you? Want to be my wife that bad?" I teased, leaning on the wall with my hands in my pockets. She tutted and shook her head.

"You're really irritating. I just hate losing to those kinds of girls is all..." she huffed, giving me a look of disapproval. I felt her judging me and questioned how exactly I was supposed to act to girls now. Then I remembered what Haneul taught me.

"You're right, I am irritating," I chuckled. "Well I wanted to interrogate each of you privately. Mind answering some questions?" She looked at me suspiciously before reluctantly nodding and unfolding her arms. "Okay, first question. If I was having trouble at work and was coming home stressed, how would you deal with it?"

Mirae paused and tapped a finger on her lip before answering hesitantly. "Firstly, I would help you de-stress-"

"Really?! How?" I said a bit too eagerly. She looked at me as if I was crazy so I just smiled brightly like I used to do when Haneul gave me that look.

"Umm I don't know what you do to relieve stress usually, but I could join in with it," she chirped. "I'd take over some duties that you usually do and maybe I could come into work with you and help out so you don't have so much of a burden. Married couples are cutest when they work together to get things done, it's always more fun that way anyway."

"Mmm, good answer," I said, nodding at her maturity. She smiled seeing I was satisfied with her answer. "Okay, next. How would you as my wife actually benefit me, since I have everything already. What can you do that others can't?"

Mirae bit her lip and shuffled her feet nervously. She looked quite cute admittedly, with her brown hair falling in front of her face like a curtain to hide her panic. "Umm....well I'm a very honest person, I guess. I wouldn't ever lie to please you because covering up mistakes means they'll never be resolved. If something isn't going too well, I would tell you about it so you have a valid second opinion and not just say 'It's brilliant!' all the time like -ups must always say to your face. You say you have everything already, but that's not really accurate because everyone makes mistakes. Even you must, Woohyun..."

She continued to stare at her shuffling feet as I looked at her in amazement. Only one other person had ever said something like that to me before... "Right then, lastly..."

______________________________________

 

Haneul's POV

"We should head back. It's really late now," Hoya said. We all murmured in agreement and dragged our tired feet back to the docks. As we arrived, we gaped in horror at something that wasn't there. Something that should have been there but wasn't. My heart sank and my mind went blank before flooding itself with hundreds of different things to worry about.

"Sungjong...." I said with increasing worry in my trembling voice. "Wh-where's our boat?"

"Maknae, you idiot! How are we getting home?!" Sunggyu yelled patronisingly to Sungjong who was staring terrified at the empty dock. I sighed and patted him on the back as he looked at me with a trembling lower lip and eyes glistening.

"Don't worry Sungjong. We'll just wait for the next one," I soothed. That actually made him worse when he burst into tears. I stepped back in surprise, not knowing what to do.

"There won't be a next one. That was the last boat until tomorrow morning!" he cried.  The others sighed in frustration and rolled their eyes. Dongwoo and Hoya shrugged and walked off together back down the road on their own whilst Sunggyu, Sungyeol and Myungsoo stayed to torment the maknae. "I'm sorry, noona. I was supposed to make you happy but I failed and made you angry at me," he sobbed.

"It's okay, I'm not angry-"

"Sungjong, you created this problem by dragging us out here. You're going to have to do something about it. Make up for it by solving the problem," Myungsoo suggested, his stoic glare piercing into Sungjong, making him cringe away.

"Yeah, where are we going to stay for the night?! We spent all of our money," Soyeon whined.

"Okay, okay," said Sungjong. "Noona, I'm going to make myself admirable so you'll like me again! I'll deal with this and pay for everybody. Just leave this to me."

"Sungjong, you don't have to-" I began but it was too late as Sungjong lead everyone back down the road with a confident 'Everyone follow me!'. I would have said that he was already admirable, but I guess that Sungjong trying to prove himself is for his own gain as well. He's a good person. I sighed and followed the rest of them to the main road again where all the shops were located. We looked around for a cheap place to stay.

"Yah! Guys, we found you!" Hoya called, walking up to us with Dongwoo. "There's a jjimjilbang up the road a bit. We should go there!" Everyone agreed and we made our way up the road. The sauna was huge and brightly lit but didn't look all too busy.

"I'll go in and ask for the price," Sungjong suggested, probably irritated that it was Hoya who found the jjimjilbang instead of him. As we walked in, a warm waft of air greeted us and swept away the chilly night that clung onto our thin clothes. The smells of bath salts and steamed sweet potato eased our stress and we all simultaneously let out a relieved sigh. "Okay guys. It's not too expensive so we can stay here for the night I think. I've already paid for everyone so we can go in now. We'll meet you girls in the lounge area in ten minutes, okay?" Sungjong said as the boys got their blue jjimjilbang clothes and walked off to the changing rooms.

We stood in silence for a while, staring at the space they used to be. Hesitantly, Hyosung said "Does he not know it will take more than ten minutes to get ready?"

The four of us shrugged and took our pink clothes from the counter and went to change in the girls' changing rooms. After thirty minutes, we made our way into the lounge room to see the guys sitting, hypnotized and inches away from the massive TV screen. As we sat down behind them, they instantly burst out laughing hysterically at the anime they were watching.

Truth be told, the way Sungyeol and Sunggyu tied their towels around their heads was way funnier. Sungyeol looked like Princess Leia and Sunggyu looked like a grandpa with his ahjussi style turban.

Myungsoo looked like he was having a fit, rolling around on the floor in laughter. I didn't know he was capable of conveying so much emotion, let alone laugh hysterically. Guess he's a real kid at heart. Typically after another half an hour, the six of them fell fast asleep and were snoozing comfortably on top of each other. Soyeon took the chance to roughly shove over Sungyeol, who had been blocking her view all that time, and sat in the space in front of the TV. He moaned in his sleep and rolled on his stomach with his mouth hanging open.

Dongwoo woke up momentarily with a yawn, rubbing his sleepy eyes. He squinted at the TV and brightened up seeing the SHINee oppas dancing on the Inkigayo stage. "Wow, I wish one day we could dance on that stage. Think we'll ever be good enough, yeobo?"

"Of course! Oppa is the best so you'll definitely one day!" Hyosung sang, gazing at the grinning Dongwoo. Soyeon scoffed at the two of them and tilted her head at the screen. CNBlue were now playing.

"That's a bit far fetched. Infinite better debut soon then if you want to be on that stage," she said with a devious grin, folding her hands behind her head and lying back on the bamboo mat. I poked her head and she looked at me in shock.

"It's really hot in this room. I think I'm going to go out for some fresh air," I said, getting up. Soyeon sat up and crossed her legs.

"Really? Okay I'll order some food for when you come back!" she said. I nodded and made my way out, wafting my hand in front of my face. Just as I was about to walk out of the front door, the woman at the counter came rushing up to me.

"Wait! You can't leave in those clothes," she cried as I continued to walk as if she wasn't there.

I called out behind myself, "I'm just going to sit outside for five minutes to get some fresh air!" and strolled out of the building. Once out, I took my time to soak up the cool sea breeze that had been chilled by the night. The rain from this morning had washed the roads clean and the sea was now a sparkling midnight blue. A glowing silver moon lit up the path to the beach. I walked to the sand and sat down with a sigh to watch the tide slowly crawl it's way back into the ocean.

Suddenly, I jumped with wide eyes when a figure sat down beside me and turned to me with a grin. There was just enough moonlight to illuminate the outlines of Myungsoo's features.

"Was it too crowded in there for you, scary-glare girl?" he asked, still grinning. I huffed and pulled up my knees to bury my face into them. "You were never a social one."

"No one has called me that in years. Why would you bring it up again?" I groaned. He chuckled deeply and continued to stare intensely.

"Just because nobody knows the old you in this new school doesn't mean that I don't remember; afterall us two have been in the same class for eleven years. I can still picture that weird emo fourteen year old having trouble making friends," he said jokingly. I shoved him into the sand and he pouted, quickly dusting himself off in embarassment. "I found it cute though!"

"What was cute? I hated everyone!" I huffed, looking away.

"Don't deny it. You were so awkward and adorable; when I first met you, you had the biggest crush on me and it was so obvious," Myungsoo casually said with a laugh. I tried to shove him again but he caught my arm and held it tightly, gripping so that my attempts at pulling away were useless. I sighed as I gave up and he lowered my arm and held onto my hand. "Even though I admitted I liked you too, you're still such an annoying little child..."

"You can talk," I muttered, secretly blushing as his warm hand clutched onto my cold one. We stayed in silence for a while until I was brave enough to peep up at his face. It was cold and conveyed no emotion; just as usual. I sighed in frustration and studied him, scrutinising every feature on his face to find any signs someone was at home. He was like a machine- cold, perfect and heartless. "Tell me what you're thinking. I could never tell what you were thinking."

"Why should I tell you?" he said, looking pensively straight ahead. "You don't need to know everything that's on my mind."

The atmosphere had become a bit too tense for my liking so I tried to make a joke. "Why not? Why can't I know?" I teased, just like Woohyun does. "Is it something dirty?" I laughed. His serious expression turned into a scary one as he faced me with a grin.

"That's up to you to decide," he laughed as the blood ran from my face. I stared at him with wide and desperate eyes. "I'll leave the answer up to how graphic your imagination is." He slowly got up, laughing and dusted the sand off of himself before turning to go back to the sauna. I carried on staring in shock. I shook my head and got up before running to catch up with him.

"Yah, Kim Myungsoo!" I yelled. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

_______________________________

 

"Ow! Why hit it so hard?" Sungyeol winced, rubbing his head where Myungsoo had cracked the shell of his hard-boiled egg. I sipped on my ice sikhye as I watched the couple squabble. Sungjong took that chance to shuffle closer to me without me noticing.

"Peel my sweet potato for me, Hoya," Jieun said cutely, handing him the potato. He took it awkwardly, and grinned. Soyeon grumbled and jutted her bottom lip out as she watched them with a glare.

"Aish, why is there so much PDA today, I'm feeling sick..." she grumbled to herself. Soyeon looked at me with a warning expression and I returned a questioning look. She inclined her head to Sungjong who was gazing at the bowl of sweet potatoes and biting his lip. Did he want one? Why didn't he just pick one up?

'What?' I mouthed to Soyeon. 'You're so dense...' she mouthed back. I was still confused. Suddenly a light bulb lit up somewhere in my head as I stared at the potatoes.

"Want me to peel a potato for you?" me and Sungjong said to each other at the same time. He stared at me in horror and I stared at Soyeon in panic. 'What did I do?' I mouthed to her as she face palmed.

"Um, yes please," I said shyly to Sungjong. He nodded and picked one up to start peeling. I watched his fingers slowly lift off the skin and looked up to see Soyeon nod to me once. I moved my eyes onto Hoya and Jieun as Hoya handed her the newly peeled sweet potato. He broke off a piece and popped it into with the same silly grin on his face. Jieun didn't seem all that fazed.

"Here you go!" Sungjong cheered, giving it to me.

"Wah! Thank you!" I said, smiling and taking a bite. "Tastes really good!"

"Yay!" he sang, smiling brightly as well. Suddenly his expression became hesitant as I realized he was staring at my lips. I looked to Soyeon but she was busy concentrating on peeling her egg- badly. "You have some on your lip," he said.

"Oh, right!" I sighed in relief, wiping off the potato. I paused as I saw Sungjong's arm was lifted half up and Soyeon was staring at me in disbelief. 'Pabo' she mouthed. Soyeon shuffled to my other side, all the while sending me death glares.

"You're supposed to let the guy wipe it off for you," she whispered in my ear.

"I don't get it. I can do it just fine."

"Aigoo! Haneul, silly... Have you not watched a single drama in your life?!" she said hysterically, ruffling her hair in frustration. Soyeon's well known as being a huge Drama otaku- that's probably where she gets her crazy fantasies from. "You had the best opportunity! This is the perfect three part coffee shop scene featured in all 45 minute TV dramas! Part 1: The girl drinks some coffee and gets froth on her lip. Part 2: The guy reaches over to wipe it off. Part 3: During the tense moment when the guy is about to wipe it off, he leans over and BAM! EPIC AND SERIOUSLY AWKWARD MILK KISS SCENE! Which often is just a strange pressing of lips but anyway..."

Everyone stared in shock at Soyeon's sudden out burst but she ignored the faces. I looked at her as if she was crazy, though I was pretty much used to her weirdness. "Oh right. I was supposed to do that?"

"Yes! You ruined it at Part 2 when you wiped your own lip," she huffed with a pout. "Well TV drama female protagonist isn't really your style. You belong in a historical drama..."

"Thank you...?" I mumbled hesitantly. She glared at me with her arms folded. "I'm hopeless, right?"

"Yes. You are," Soyeon bluntly stated. "But I'll teach you the ways."