Sungyeol's Camera

Oppa Hates You

A/N If any of you are getting worried about where this is going, all will be revealed soon so don't get mad or anthing! ^^ Comment if you have any guesses about what's happening and I might even use it for inspiration. If you don't like it, please feel free to say so and I'll take in any ideas. Thank you for reading so far! XD

 

"Hmm, you guys are alright," Geumjung said, trying to maintain her expression. It was so obvious she was dying a bit on the inside. Infinite were doing one last run through of their dance and song in the practise room before they were to be called in so the room was nice and steamy. They had changed out of their uniforms and into more suitable clothes earlier on. All they had to do was one dance and one song and  then it was over. The duck girls were busy quacking away about their biases from the group already. There was a mixture of 'Myungsoo's so hot' and 'Hoya's voice is so dreamy' and other intrusively fangirly stuff.

"Did you like the dance, Haneul?" Sungyeol asked me after he caught his breath. I nodded but I couldn't make eye contact with him. Though he didn't seem to notice my unease. "It's a pretty catchy song."

"Yeah, it's nice."

"Kind of sad though."

"Mmm."

"But the lyrics suit the mood."

"Yup."

"Hey, look at that," Sungyeol said, pointing towards the building entrance. Striding towards us like a goddess still in her uniform was Jieun. She had tied her long ash brown hair in a tight high ponytail and wore thing-high black socks with her satchel bag slung over her shoulder. She nodded to Geumjung as she walked into the room and sat down with a dead still expression by the window. "Wow, she's hot. Who is that?"

"The lyricist."

"That's Jieun?!" I nodded and looked at my feet. "She doesn't look like she's in our year-"

"She's 19," I interrupted. Sungyeol stared at me with wide eyes and nodded.

"So she's my noona. That explains it!" he laughed lightheartedly but I turned away to cringe.

Sungyeol started to melt the awkwardness I felt around him as he began to talk about mindless things. It made me smile. He chatted away about various things like dance and acting and how he had done some volunteer work at a nearby homeless shelter.

"They need much more help around Winter time," he had said. I felt much more comfortable as he began to describe his family and I found out that he had a younger brother whom he practices with. He seemed like a perfectly ordinary, nice person. And also a genuine one at that. On the other side of the room, I thought I caught a glimpse of Woohyun glaring but he turned away just in time so I wasn't really sure.

Geumjung looked really angry as she stormed over towards Jieun. I watched Geumjung moan and screech away to Jieun who maintained complete calm throughout. When Geumjung was finished with her rant, Jieun simply said: "I wrote the lyrics". Geumjung froze for a moment, nodded in shock, then suddenly broke out into bubbly but awkwardly forced laughter. Jieun smiled a small smile and bowed her head a little as Geumjung sprayed appretiation and thanks.

It was nearing the time for their singing audition and everyone was just sitting around looking bored. What kind of funky juice did these guys drink that made them so confident?!

At that moment the manager came in the room to call them in so Woohyun came to me for a last minute chat.

"Haneul. You'll wish me luck won't you?" he asked me hopefully. His expression was kind and I forgot about anything he'd said earlier on. I gave him a nod.

"Of course. I'll be cheering you on all the way," I said with a smile.

"Thanks, Haneul." Suddenly he gave me a quick hug and followed the others to the audition room hurriedly. I was left there tingling from his unexpected movement. That guy has a split personality...

Me and Jieun stood outside the room but we both ended up taking a walk through the foyer because of how irritating Geumjung's fan-girl friends were becoming. The entrance was huge with palm trees and fountains creating a beautiful eden-like feature in the middle. The whole front was made of glass but the sky had already become dark. We sat down by the rim of the fountain.

"It's unlike you to have spare time like this, Unnie," I pondered.

"Mmm... well I wanted to see if my song would do well," she replied.

"Really?! Usually you don't care what people think."

"I actually....I came to find you." She turned to me with her eyes squinted. "Someone confessed to me again this afternoon. So annoying. I can't be asked to keep on turning them down."

I nodded a bit, but inside I couldn't get why she was complaining. "Well why don't you stop turning them down?"

"I'm not in the mood for relationships. Can't we just have fun without getting serious?" she muttered and took a long sigh.

"Is fun all you think about? You don't take some things seriously enough."

"I spent time writing those lyrics didn't I?"

"You knew you would finish them in one night, are you actually being serious?!" I gave her a disappointed look and she just shrugged. We watched some other nervous looking boys practising their dance routines and singing. They were really good and it was obvious they had been practising their routine for many weeks.

"This world is too easy for me. Where's the fun and challenge? The guys are boring and lazy and school is a breeze. Can't we go out to play, Haneul?" Jieun pleaded. I shook my head but ended up nodding to her beautiful looks anyway. Jieun isn't someone you can oppose or argue with.

"We should head back."

______________________

Infinite had finished their auditions without any fault at all. They came out as if they'd mearly had a cheerful chat with the judges instead of a full blown performance. The only give away was that they had a slight breakout of sweat on their foreheads but then that was it. Woohyun came up to me first.

"Haneul! Did you get to see?" he asked. I shook my head. "That's a shame. It would've been cool if you had heard me sing."

"I'll be there on the show night." He pouted and stuck his bottom lip out.

"I'll sing for you later," he said. I just nodded so he wouldn't say anymore.

Sunggyu suddenly let out a loud laugh behind us and I turned to see Sungyeol and Dongwoo stuck together by their cuffs fidgeting about. Sunggyu calmed down for a moment to talk.

"Does anyone want to get food? It'll be my treat!" he chuckled. There was a loud murmer of approval which I took to mean everyone was in. It was decided we would eat out at Sunggyu's favourite street vendour. Geumjung and her ducks had mysteriously and silently disappeared after the boys had finished so I was glad someone knew their way around this neighbourhood. 

The tent of the vendour was big with lots of seats and people inside. The cook was very busy frying up some steamy mandu and ramyeon which filled the space with spicy and homely fragrances.

"Ahjumma! I brought some friends with me today!" Sunggyu called to the lady. She looked up from her cooking and beamed widely at him; then she looked at us in suprise and beamed even wider. She quickly hurried over and hugged Sunggyu then greeted us all in turn.

"Aww, child. How has school been?" she asked, pushing some tables together. Sungjong skipped over to help her and so did Myungsoo.

"It's been good," Sunggyu replied and pulled up a few seats.

"Right. What would you like kids?" Ahjumma said. Everyone ordered and she went back to her cooking.

The table filled with chatting of unimportant talk but everyone was laughing and happy. I took my time to look at what I'd gotten myself involved in. I had pulled Jieun into this craziness so she sat in between best friends Hoya and Dongwoo. She was laughing along with them though so all was okay. Sunggyu looked much more friendly and approachable tonight, he even had Myungsoo and Sungjong talking. And as for me, I inevitably found I'd wedged myself in the worst spot between Woohyun and Sungyeol. The two were sending out daggers to each other and I just had to sit tight to endure it.

"It wasn't all that bad, he'd already signed me up so I was just put on the waiting list. Actually I already had experience in snowboarding but he didn't know that," Sungyeol was saying. He talked about his recent holiday to me really animatedly and it would have been a really interesting conversation if it wasn't for Woohyun being nosy and asking awkward questions and making stupid comments.

"But I'm sure it was for the best right? I mean if they had let you on the slopes, you would have just embarassed yourself," he said.

"More like they thought I needed supervision in case I had an accident. The place I went to were very strict on health and safety," Sungyeol replied.

"But that's only for you. Most people have it fine so I guess the only reason why it got postponed is because they couldn't trust your skills." Sungyeol sneered at Woohyun who decided to add some more to that. "Well it's not surprising really since one short crash course doesn't mean you can instantly snowboard."

"I've gone on three snowboarding trips in the past-"

"Ah, but were they all a success? Doesn't seem like it. I was there, I should know." I hadn't even said one word and they were just talking over my head like they forgot I was sitting in the middle.

"You can talk. You couldn't even put the board on your feet."

"What?! While you were eating my dust, I was on the black run!"

"Can't you two just shut up for a moment?!" I yelled at them. The whole table went quiet and I heard Sungjong and Sunggyu giggle from the other end. People started to talk again and I let out a deep sigh.

"See, you just make things awkward," Woohyun muttered behind my back to Sungyeol.

"Yah!" I turned to him."Stop that." He looked at me with glistening hurt puppy eyes but I wasn't going to be fooled. "Don't be a jerk again," I warned. There was no look of guilt in his eyes like normal at all which worried me.

Our food came and everyone tucked in. I was thankful for the food because as soon as it came, the two beside me said no more. There were a lot of us so I had no idea how Sunggyu was going to pay for it all. Maybe he's the son of a chaebol family. 

After we had finished, one by one people went home. I didn't know what to do since I couldn't really find my own way home so I thought I could just ask for a taxi later. After a while the only people who were left were me, Sungyeol, Woohyun,Jieun and Hoya. Jieun had fallen asleep with her head resting on the table and Hoya was rocking back on his seat, listening to music. Sungyeol had got up to take a call so me and Woohyun sat there on our own.

He was playing with the wrapper for the chopsticks and had made it into a folded star.

"How did you do that?" I said to him. He unravelled it and folded it again slower so I could follow. Mine turned out better than his so he took mine which I didn't mind. I took his and put it in my pocket. After a while, it got very quiet.

"I wonder why Sungyeol's taking so long," I muttered to myself. Woohyun had caught it and gave me a glare.

"Don't mention that guy, it's irritating," he said.

"What's your problem Woohyun?! He's a really nice guy, I can't even imagine him the way you describe him! Why do you talk about him like that, you're supposed to be his best friend!"

"That's my point. I'm his best friend. I know him better than anyone so I know he's just using you!" His comment made me completely freeze.

"What do you mean using me?" I hesitantly asked. I looked around and realised Hoya had also fallen asleep and Jieun had rested her head on his shoulder. They looked so cosy.

"Haneul. Can't you see? He's pretending to be nice to get to you."

"You're not making any sense Woohyun." He sighed and shook his head. He reached over towards Sungyeol's bag and pulled out a small black pouch. He opened it up and took out Sungyeol's camera.

"I'm showing you this because I don't want him to hurt you is all. Don't get mad or anything," he whispered to me. I took the camera and looked at Woohyun who nodded.

The camera was full of normal pictures of family and friends. Gradually as I flicked through, in the space of a few weeks, there were more and more pictures of him with various girls. Then suddenly there were lots of pictures of me. All of them were taken from afar and were blurry but it was definately my bag in the photos. I flicked through them faster and faster and more kept coming again and again. There were loads of pictures of me taken at many various locations on different days. There could have been hundreds.

"Wh-what is this?" I said quietly. Woohyun took the camera from my hands and turned it off with a sigh.

"He seems nice at first but in all the years I've known him...I ignored it in the beginning since I was a player too but it's just getting obsessive-"

"Woohyun! What is this?" He looked at me with sad and tired eyes.

"Can't you tell?"