Woohyun's Breakdown

Oppa Hates You

How am I getting to school this morning? I'm not letting my crazy neighbour cycle me there again... I hate Mondays.

"Jinho-yah! Have you left yet?!" I called out in my house and no one answered. "Just me here again then." I quickly packed my bag, ready to walk out of the door. I munched on my last slice of toast and opened the door to find Woohyun sitting on the doorstep. "Aish, I almost walked over you! Why are you sitting there? Haven't you got somewhere to be?"

Woohyun stood up and looked me sorrowfully in the eyes. "Haneul-ah, do you hate me?" I didn't say anything and locked the door, then walked around him. I heard him get up and follow me. "I'm sorry that I'm a jerk. Will you not accept my apology?" he asked me intensely. There was no sign of slyness or insincerity in his words at all, but I was tired of his inconsistency.

"Fine. You're forgiven. Now you can leave me alone," I said heavily. He watched me with gloomy eyes.

"I don't want to," he said.

"Can't you just give it a rest?"

"Only if you stay away from Sungyeol..." His voice was small and hesitant.

"Why?"

He paused for a while before speaking. "What do you like about him? I've always gotten the girls in the past, not him; so why now do you choose him instead of me?"

"What are you talking about?! This was never about you! I'm not having this conversation again so just stop!" He did stop and we walked together side by side to school in silence. Maybe I have boxing day blues or something but for some reason, Woohyun is much more irritating today than usual.

As we reached nearer the school, he let me walk further and further away from him until it was obvious we weren't walking together. The strange looks and whisperings had stopped. I didn't bother looking behind myself as I walked into the building and went straight to register.

A sigh of relief slipped my lips as I was swathed with the familiar comforting sound of simple classroom chatter and laughter. I never thought I'd be happy about how noisy and normal the boring room was. But nevertheless...

I slumped down in my desk and closed my eyes, trying to forget about Woohyun and Sungyeol and Infinite. I thought my weekend was the chance to do that but I ended up meeting all of them. Of course I was pulled rudely out of my relaxation from a particular conversation in front of me.

"Don't forget, Sungyeol-ssi. I have high expectations from you," said a recognisable squeeky voice. It was Geumjung.

"We've got it down, don't worry," Sungyeol replied. Geumjung scrunched her face up with a satisfied smirk.

"Good, make me lots of money okay?"

"What?!"

"I'm commissioning limited edition prints of your first stage performance so you better pass this audition!" Geumjung chuckled, rubbing her hands together. As I watched the two, I giggled to myself. It's funny looking at them side by side since Sungyeol is so tall next to the petit Geumjung. "Meet me after school by the gates. You too Haneul," she said turning to me. "I'm going to tell the others so you better be ready." Then she left like a little tornado. That's our student council deputy head for you.

My eyes wondered around the room until, I saw something I was getting really annoyed at always seeing. Woohyun must have been watching me by the door all that time. Who's the stalker now? I shooed him away with my hand and mouthed 'go' and as soon as he saw me looking he ran off quickly. 

"She's crazy isn't she," Sungyeol chuckled to me with his signature smile. I turned back and realised he was talking about Geumjung.

"She is. But are you ready?" I said, raising my eyebrows. He nodded and tapped his finger on his lips.

"We've got the dance and song down but they aren't perfect yet. I think it will be enough to get past the audition though." That, I had no doubt about.

"So Jieun managed to give you guys the lyrics on time?"

"Yeah....she did." I could tell exactly what he was thinking.

______________________

"AH, ah ah ah!"

"Aigoo, hyung that's messy!" Sungjong moaned at Dongwoo who was demanding that Hyosung spoon feed him his lunch. She just giggled and kept on poking them in his mouth. He laughed which ended up making him have a choking fit on the floor. Sungjong shook his head and patted Dongwoo on the back.

I was sitting at my usual table but the people on it weren't the usual people. Aside from Hyosung, there was Dongwoo, Sungjong, Myungsoo and Hoya. But Hyosung was preoccupied by feeding the baby bird, Dongwoo anyway so I spent my lunch sitting in between Myungsoo and Hoya.

"Nae sarangi nege ro ga

Bi weo dul ggeo ya

Geudae sarangeun naega michi

Neol gi eokhae naege ro wa, " Myungsoo sang next to me. I recognised the melody to be Jieun's song. Those were the lyrics she'd written.... Myungsoo notice me shamelessly staring at him so he flashed me a smile and cocked his head.

"Sorry," I said, snapping out of my daze. Hoya chuckled.

"Your friend gave me the lyrics on Saturday. She writes fast!" I faced Hoya and nodded. "She called me up late on Friday night, I don't know how she got my number, and said to meet up in the morning; then the next day she turned up with the lyrics then left without even telling me her name. Is she an awkward person or something?" Hoya asked.

I shook my head. "Unnie is very wary of not getting into other people's business. She likes to stay out of trouble." He scratched the back of his neck and winced.

"Am I trouble?"

"Oh no. It's not a personal thing. She's just a very independant person and feels like if she does things like spend time making small talk, it will pull down her mature flow of things," I reasoned. Hoya nodded thoughtfully to himself and his eyes wondered off dreamily.

"She does look very mature and independant...." Ah! He picked out the best words! "Anyway we should practise one last time. Otherwise Geumjung will slaughter us!"

The others nodded and they got up to go to the dance room. Hyosung bounced along behind them and grabbed hold of my hand to drag me along aswell.

It took a while before they finished the dance routine and moved onto the singing. I didn't understand how Sungyeol thought the dancing wasn't perfect since I couldn't see anything that wasn't ultimately jawdropping but even so, they insisted practising more. Eventually they sat down to rest but during that time they also practised the song. They could sing and dance seperately during the auditions.

And all I can say is that their singing is just as good as their dancing. I got to hear the full song with the new backing track this time and the whole atmosphere was completely different, sending shivers down my spine. Hoya was the most amazing coordinator because I had never felt something so moving. How did he know the perfect combination of emotions and dance moves to put together?

"Your vocals may be just enough to get us past today but for the show this isn't good enough. You can't depend on Sunggyu and Woohyun only, this is an important stage so you must improve a lot guys," Hoya spoke. What did he mean depend on Woohyun? Is that guy a singer? "Practise again."

____________________________

It was nearing the end of the day and I could feel the nerves eminatting off of Sungyeol who was bouncing his knee in front of me throughout the whole of afternoon registration. I'd never seen him act like that before, since he was always confident about his dancing skills.

As soon as the bell rang he buried his face in his arms that were folded on the table. I got up and patted him on the back.

"Don't worry, you'll do fine," I shushed. He looked up with red eyes that held lots of questions in them.

"What are you talking about?" he said.

"A-aren't you nervous? Your audition is today."

"Psht, no. That'll be a breeze," he said with a devious smile.

"Then why are you nervous?" He moaned and started bouncing his knee again. "What is it?"

"Umm...." he looked really worried. "I haven't got a text back from Nara yet and I sent it two hours ago," he whined. This guy! My heart started to hurt and I began to feel lightheaded. Why am I feeling jelous? I sighed and shook my head: at least it was one girl instead of multiple.

"Shouldn't we get going?" I urged him. He got up and nodded leaving first. I picked up my books slowly, seeing that everyone had already left the classroom. As I walked out, something grabbed me over my mouth and pulled me to the side. I quickly kneed them in the groin and they instantly let go. I turned around and saw Woohyun lying on the ground with his eyes closed. He opened them for a moment to glare at me then winced again.

"Why are you abusing strangers?!" he laughed, getting up.

"Why are you gagging innocent girls?" I replied, turning on my heal to walk out.

"Wait!" Woohyun cried. He marched up behind me and spun me back around. I ducked out of the way but he pushed me to the wall and put his hands and either side of my head so I couldn't walk away.

"What is it now-"

"I can tell you still dislike me. It's unnerving how I've found a girl who does't want to jump into my pants as soon as she sees me."

"Ugh, why are you wasting my time, Woohyun-ssi?"

"See. What's with the ssi? Why are you so comfortable around Sungyeol like just now but not with me? I've stopped mindlessly dating. I've even apologised to my exes. Do you know how embarassing and shameful that is?! What more do you want from me?" His face was centimetres from mine and I could feel his angry breath brush over my face. His eyes were dark and intense as they bore into me.

"I don't want anything from you-"

"Come on. Maybe I've been a bit stupid with my words but....I don't know how to make you laugh and smile like that guy does. I've never needed to do that in the past." Woohyun suddenly became really quiet and looked down at the floor. "Why am I such a bad person in your eyes?"

I really didn't know how to answer that. Because I didn't say anything, he looked up and stared pleadingly at me. It hurt to see him so upset.

"You're not a bad person, Woohyun. But I don't like guys who aren't being serious about me." His eyes quickly lost there sparkle and he let his arms drop by his side. I quickly used that opportunity to move away. In a situation like this I would usually walk away and not look back but I couldn't. My feet felt like stone as I stared at Woohyun who had never looked so low.

Images of his normal, popular, incredibly gorgeous, confident self flashed through my mind but the Woohyun in front of me was completely unrecognisable. My guilt began to build as I remembered that it was me who tore this guy down. I took the king down from his thrown and made him weak by my feet. Though his doings were wrong, it was what made him the notorious Nam Woohyun.

"You think I'm not serious about you? Well Sungyeol has never even seen you in that way," Woohyun sneered with an evil grin.

"It doesn't matter. He'll get to know me."

"And what about him? Do you know him? Want me to tell you what he's like? Want me to tell you who he really is?" Woohyun laughed maliciously.

"Stop being an idiot!"

"He's the idiot! He's the bad guy you should be hating! Sungyeol's never been a good person. You don't know the kind of things he's done. He's only going to hurt you, Haneul."