Since This Morning

Oppa Hates You

A/N Hey!!!! ^^ I've been listening to the most troll of all troll songs Rick Astley- Never Gonna Give You Up on repeat and singing it non-stop for the past few days so I'm sorry if it effects the story. I won't make Woohyun come out suddenly with "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down!" I promise don't worry. But I guess he should really come out with "Never gonna run around and, desert you!" to Haneul. That would be the best but as the story goes, that's not possible... sorry XD

 

Haneul's POV

"I'm being really serious right now. You can't tell anyone, especially not Haneul," Woohyun said to someone on the phone. I was waiting to go in to pick up my blazer which I had left behind the night before but I stayed outside since he was on the phone. And I'm guilty of being tempted into listening in on the conversation too but I can't help it when I hear my name.

"Don't tell her. She can't know," he said and paused. After a while he spoke again in a hushed tone. "I only have two weeks at the most. But I have a feeling I won't be that lucky. Chances are that my father will take me out of this hospital and put me in a better one in Japan in a few days. I really can't do this."

"Japan?!" I said to myself. "His father must be really rich to be taking him to a specialized clinic."

"You're my closest friend, Sungyeol, so you're the only person I can trust right now. Since I won't be coming back from Japan until I've taken over my father's business, I'm asking you to take care of Haneul for me," Woohyun whispered down the line desperately. What did he mean by not coming back until he'd taken over his father's business? Who is Woohyun's father exactly? The image of the man I bumped into last night flashed through my mind and I cringed into my scarf.

"I'm sorry that I'm leaving for real this time. I won't be here anymore so I'm leaving Haneul in your hands," Woohyun sniffed, choking up slightly. Is he actually being serious?! No one is going to buy that he's moving to Japan. If he was going to lie to get me and Sungyeol together he could be more convincing and come up with a better story. "I love you too, stupid dongsaeng!" he laughed roughly and then moaned. "I wish there was something I could do to stay. Just a little longer."

It sounded like he had put the phone down so I debated whether to go in or not since he'd find out that I was listening in. In the end I decided to walk in which resulted in Woohyun whipping around and staring at me in absolute horror.

"Ha-Haneul?! Were you outside the room just now?" Woohyun trembled in a high pitched voice. I didn't look at him and nodded casually as I picked up my blazer from the back of the chair. "So did you hear that conversation just now?" he almost whispered.

"Yeah I did,"I said turning around and folding my blazer over my arm. "About that. You're moving to Japan? Is that the best you could come up with?" I chuckled. "And you want to keep it from me because you're embarassed by it right?"

Woohyun's face of panic changed slightly to worried confusion. "What do you mean? Best I could come up with?"

"Yeah. I'm surprised Sungyeol bought it but I guess you're a good actor. And I suppose saying that you're moving to Japan is a good way to get yourself out of the picture too but....seriously? And to take over your father's business as well. It's like you really think you're living in a drama don't you," I scoffed, shaking my head and walking to the door.

After a moments silence I heard a small nervous laugh from Woohyun and then silence again. I turned around for the last time but he had let his hair that had been growing out fall over his face. "Yeah, but I can pull it off can't I. I'm Nam Woohyun after all! Just trust me on this one, Haneul. I'll make it so realistic and believable that even you will think I've really left for another country."

I smiled at his confidence and left the room. He never changes.

___________________________________

Walking to school, it dawned on me how ironic things turned out to be. In the beginning Sungyeol was helping me get to Woohyun and now it's the other way around. It's like I'm being tossed about in a game of pass the parcel where no one actually wants the parcel to stop at them. I guess I'm just forever alone, which it really should have been from the start. I'm not a romantic dreamer like Soyeon.

"Haaaaneul!!!!!" someone yelled to me from behind. I turned around, yawning but stopped halfway when a merry Soyeon skipped right into me, almost knocking me over. "Oh no. I'm so sorry Haneul!" she squeeked.

"Ugh, it's fine," I said, regaining my balance. "How are you? Stupid question. Why are you?"

Soyeon smiled a giggled childishly, ducking her head in her coat collar. "No reeeeason!" she sang unconvincingly. I frowned at her suspiciously.

"Come on, Soyeon. I'm going to make you tell me at some point anyway," I reasoned. She looked up with a beaming smile that I was all too used to. One of her many fantasies must be coming true. "What is it?"

"Well....firstly I have to thank you so much! You're the best friend ever and I knew that you'd be the only person who could help me!" she chirped, suddenly jumping on me and embracing me in a death-grip hug. She released me and took hold of my shoulders, staring directly into my eyes with a grin from ear to ear. "Something amazing happened last night. Woohyun called and appologized to me! Isn't that amazing!"

"Ugh.....Soyeon. I don't know how to say this but-"

"And it's all thanks to you Haneul that he's such a nice person now! He was so rude before but because of you-" Soyeon said breathlessly, tearing up just slightly. She released my shoulder and wiped her eyes, giggling nervously. "I don't know....how I feel about him anymore." Oh no, here it goes. I should have known.

"Soyeon don't-"

"I mean I hated him because he was so horrible to me, but when he talked to me last night he was so different. So mature and sincere."

"It's just manners."

"Yeah I guess," she sighed. "I wish he changed before we broke up. Maybe then we'd still be together..."  We started walking again and she carried on mumbling 'what ifs'. I didn't like where this was going. "Maybe he doesn't hate me anymore, then maybe he could let me go out with him again- pick up where we left off."

"That's not a good idea, Soyeon. I don't trust him just yet," I said dazedly. I hadn't really woken up yet but I had enough energy to concentrate on what she was saying.

"Why do you keep.....? You don't like him do you?!" she suddenly yelled with a gasp. 

"NO! Calm down," I said, irritated. "I was just saying."

"Just saying because you know him so well don't you. You've spent all this time with him all of a sudden and not with your best friend so you'd rather choose him than me is that it?!" she sneered. I wasn't that surprised that she was angry at me since she often becomes over emotional but this time I couldn't be bothered to let it pass.

"What's wrong with you?! I tried to help you all this time; do you know exactly how hard it's been?! I don't think you do!" I shouted at her. She turned to me with wide bambi-like eyes that were starting to brim with tears. I looked at her and sighed heavily. "You know what, you can date him again. In fact I insist you ask him out. Just never get me involved again."

"Ha-Haneeeeeul," Soyeon moaned, water streaming like rivers from her eyes. "I'm sorry," she sobbed. "I didn't mean to make you angry." I hugged the stupid child and we continued walking until we finally reached the school.

The first person I saw when I got to registration was Sungyeol who was completely blocking the doorway. He leant on the doorframe and laughed casually as I stared up with wide eyes at him towering over me. He bent over so his face was close to mine and grinned.

"Good morning, Haneul," he whispered. I chuckled nervously and tried to duck under his arm that blocked my path but he moved in front quickly and raised his eyebrows at me. "Where's my greeting?"

"Good Morning, Sungyeol. Care to let me in the class room?" I asked pleasantly, smiling widely so that my eyes were small and I wouldn't have to see his reaction. As soon as he dropped his arm I quickly rushed into the room and heard a chuckle from behind.

"Hey, Woohyun told me he couldn't go shopping with you this weekend and asked if I could go with you. Mind if I come?" he asked, pulling up a chair and sitting from the front, resting his chin on the back. All I could do was cringe and nod, trying to avoid eye contact. "Great! We can go this Saturday. Oh except I don't think Woohyun wants his costume, he's.....arranging for one of his own I think," Sungyeol said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Yeah that's fine," I replied pathetically. I've gotten more nervous talking to Sungyeol now because of Woohyun.

Suddenly Myungsoo strolled in the room and put a hand to Sungyeol's ear to whisper something. He saw me staring innocently and eyed me cautiously with a cold glare but then flashed me a wink that was so quick, no one else in the room would have noticed. He stood upright again and cocked his head at me.

"Haneul," he said, shining a dark one-sided grin  to me and giving a sharp nod before strolling back out of the room with Sungyeol behind him. I sat there in a daze, confused as to what had just happened. Myungsoo hasn't acted that way to me before. I'd never seen him act that way to anyone before. He's usually a very closed person...

I shook my head and looked to the front of the classroom as the teacher walked in and began taking the register.

_____________________________

 

It was the end of the day when usually it would be time to pay Woohyun a visit but I just really couldn't drag myself there. Instead I just went home as usual.

The house was empty with my brother having after school clubs and my mother god knows where. It was quiet and lonely. After 2 hours of mindless TV I took a nap. When I woke up, I realized I had only slept for ten minutes. I sighed and wandered into the kitchen to make some food and found the only thing I could make was jook again. In the end I didn't even want to eat it so I stored it in a flask to stare at pointlessly. My moment of time wasting was interrupted by a knock on the front door.

Outside stood Soyeon, staring at her feet with her hands behind her back.

"Soyeon?! What are you doing here?" I asked. She looked up and smiled appologetically.

"I was thinking of acting on your advice. I really couldn't wait," she said in a small voice.

"You- you're going to ask Woohyun out?!" She nodded with a sweet smile and stared back down at her feet. "Soyeon don't do this. The whole point was to make him upset that he hurt you and get back at him, not change him so  you could go out with him again. He doesn't deserve you."

"But, Haneul," she whined, staring at me with pleading eyes. Behind her, the sky was beginning to darken and the streetlights were turning on. "What's wrong if he likes me and I like him too? This could be my chance. Please come to the hospital with me." Her eyes began to well up and I frowned at my desperate, hopeless friend.

"This is a bad idea. You're letting him get the better of you again," I warned. She said nothing but simply batted her eyelashes instead. I sighed and glared at her. "If I let you do this, I'm not helping you get out of it again-"

"HANEUL!" Soyeon squealed, jumping up and hugging me tightly. I pushed her off, irritated and went to fetch the flask of jook before we walked in the night air towards the hospital.

Walking into Woohyun's room, my heart sank. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Had I walked into the wrong room? Soyeon looked at me curiously and studied my stunned expression.

"What are we doing, Haneul? Where's Woohyun's room?" she puzzled. I looked blankly at the smooth sheets that had been changed on the empty bed and the table where his manhwa usually lay next to a vase of fresias that had been polished clean and had nothing on it. The room was now vacant. Woohyun wasn't here.

"This should be Woohyun's room," I whispered. I drifted in and searched around for any familiar objects. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a small white shape under the bed and picked it up. It was his paper star. Slumping down on the bed, I sighed fustrated as Soyeon watched me cautiously from the door. I placed the jook on the tabled and wrote a small note on a piece of paper and folded it into a diamond, slipping it under the flask.

 

Woohyun, you idiot.

Now you get cold jook~ mehrong!

Why didn't you tell me this morning that you wouldn't be here? Did you want to make me wait for you?

Well tough, I'm not waiting here. Where ever you are, don't forget what I taught you. My wisdom should always be kept in mind!

See you soon, Haneul

 

I jumped when somebody touched my shoulder and turned to see the small annoying nurse was beaming up at me.

"Haneul! How nice to see you again," she squeeked. "Oh you're here to see Woohyun? Hmm? Don't you know? He's been discharged from this hospital. His father came by today to take him out- a very rich man he is."

"Discharged?! Already....Where's he gone to?" I questioned frantically.

"Don't you even know which hospital your own brother is staying?" she gasped rediculously. I rolled my eyes and shoved past her.

"Wait!" she called from behind. "I heard that he's gone to Japan."

I shook my head, grabbing Soyeon's arm and stormed down the corridor. I couldn't believe Woohyun would actually go that far to play out the story but I was wrong. He should be hiding somewhere in Seoul- not that I cared to find him.

"Soyeon, you're going to have to find him yourself. He doesn't want to see me or know me anymore and I'm not going to chase after him either," I muttered under my breathe. She nodded silently.

Woohyun's not here anymore. I'm on my own from now on.