My Tears

Oppa Hates You

A/N: Chapter 20 wooooo! *jumps around the room in joy*                    XD   <~~~~~my face         If it's getting too long to read, please say! ^^

 

Haneul's POV

 

I ran to him and fell by his side instantly before even the driver had got out of his car. I clutched at his lifeless form and screamed his name but he remained still. Falling back, I frantically searched around for help and saw blurry shapes approaching through my watery eyes.

"He-help. M-my f-f-friend is h-urt," I blubbered to an unfamiliar figure. He seemed to had taken his phone out and called an ambulance but I couldn't see. All I saw was Woohyun, lying silently in a pool of his own blood. His features were unrecognisable. The usual cocky smile, dark and earnest eyes, his soft chocolate hair was all gone. The man in front of me wasn't the Woohyun I knew. He was a small shadow of his former self, lifeless, dead and hateful. A few more tears trickled down my trembling face but then they dried. My feelings had drained away and all that was left was a hollow melancholy that I'd never felt before.

"Excuse me, miss," someone said behind me. I saw out of the corner of my eye, I read 'Seoul Hospital' on the side of a van with flashing lights and moved away when I saw the man was a paramedic. I turned away from the scene as the casualty was taken away. The lights and sounds and murmuring cloaked me as I stood up and walked through the crowd that had gathered. All the cars on the road had stopped so that it was only me walking. Random people came up to me asking about the situation. They backed off when they saw that my hands were stained with Woohyun's blood.

The rain continued to pour and the noise of the ambulances continued to swirl around my head. I felt sick.

"Miss!" the same person said again. "Miss, are you that man's relative?" the paramedic asked. I turned to him and shook my head with a blank face. "A friend?" How could I answer that? "No? Well I think it's a good idea if you also go to the hospital anyway since you witnessed the accident. It might be helpful for us. Please come with me."

My heart suddenly snagged as I realized what he had suggested.  I would have to be there for Woohyun...

Finally a feeling came to me and I was able to react. My heart began to pound as I walked back to the scene. Woohyun had just been lifted in the back of the van and I was helped into it too. I sat by his side as the paramedics monitored his status. The van rushed towards the hospital and the blaring sound of the sirens mirrored my heartbeat but I had started to become numb. In my head was complete silence and gradually I blocked out all of the madness.

Glimpses of Woohyun flashed in front of me as the paramedics worked over him. He looked tired and sad. I took his ice cold hand, which had gone snow white, in both of mine and held it tightly. I thought I saw his eyes flicker open for a moment but it was too quick to tell.

When the ambulance reached the hospital they took him away. I sat on the steps by myself in the rain with a blood-stained white shirt and dripping wet hair like out of a horror movie.

"Miss, you shouldn't be out here in the rain. Please come inside," said the receptionist with a warm smile. I followed her into the waiting room and sat on the bench. "See it's much warmer here," she said. It honestly felt no different since the cold I felt was on the inside. For hours I waited with no idea why was was here. A doctor came to me one time and asked a few questions about the incident but left again quickly for another emergency. But there was no news about Woohyun. Outside, the rain didn't stop. It was pitch black and verging on 9 o'clock when finally someone approached me. It was a nurse.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting this long. You're allowed to leave now after you've filled out some forms by the desk," she said. I shook my head as I stood up.

"I've already done them. I'll be going now," I sighed and turned to walk away.

"Wait, are you his family?" the nurse asked. I shook my head again. "His family aren't answering the phone. You don't happen to have any way of contacting them do you?"

I stood still for a moment as I thought. I had actually got their house phone number. My mum asked me to keep in contact for when we go on holidays so that they could look after the house for us but I'd never thought I'd ever use the number.

"I do actually." She stared at me in surprise then furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm not a stranger to him...I'm his...friend," I explained. She nodded and took out a note pad. I gave her the number and she left. As I made my way out, someone stopped me again.

"Miss!" I sighed and turned back around. The kind receptionist was running towards me with a clacking sound of heels. "You're his friend you said? He's in a stable condition at the moment so you'll be able to see him for a few minutes now if you want," she beemed. I suppose the only way this hospital will let me leave is if I stay a little longer.

The recpetionist took me a few floors up and along a few corridors until we reached a room in  a very quiet area. No one was around and the receptionist also left me alone in the room. Lying peacefully on a white bed was a more familiar looking Woohyun. The blood had been washed from his face and his clothes were changed. Some colour had returned to his cheeks. He still looked sad and tired.

I sat on a chair beside his bed with my knees under my chin and hummed to my self. Without even knowing it, I hummed their audition song. It was a  pretty tune.

"Heeeeeey," I whispered, poking Woohyun's rosy cheek. He didn't move. "Hey. Wake up, silly. People will be worried about you." I moaned to him for a few minutes but he maintained his postition.

"You're being stubborn." I got off the chair and kneeled on the floor, resting my chin on his bed. I reached up to poke his face again and he still didn't move. I sighed and rested my head on his arm. "You're so popular, everyone at school is going to freak out. The girls will probably love you more now. And you just watch- tomorrow this place will be filled with hundreds of flowers and hamper baskets." I laughed to myself bitterly and sighed again.

"It must be fun being popular right? You never have to do anything for yourself. You said that I don't care about looks and appearances. Well I suppose I envy that you look so good so easily a little bit. I promised myself that I wouldn't make any immoral decisions but I've failed haven't I?"

He seemed to had stirred for a moment but when I looked up he was as still as a statue. I stared at his perfect features and shrugged. I suppose he can't help it if he has a face like that. The room stayed silent and all that could be heard was the sound of the heart rate monitor's marching beat. I rambled on again to cover over the sound.

"I haven't said all I should have said to you but you assumed without even asking me. I don't want to make excuses. I guess I can tell you everything now right? You better be listening because I don't want to repeat myself." Woohun said nothing as I pointed my finger at him with a very serious expression. "That time when I was followed by the two guys, you assumed I hated you. And I didn't stop you. I suppose you thought that I wouldn't forgive you but for me, I never felt you did wrong in the first place. Well I mean you did...

"My point is that... I don't even know. I've never had to explain myself before to anyone. The person who did wrong that night was me. I made you think I hated you and now we aren't talking to each other anymore. Even before that, I had never told you that I'd gotten over your attitude," I said quietly, my voice almost a whisper.

"It suddenly hit me when I saw you lying on the ground just now...I did that to you. It was my fault.  If only I had said 'It's okay, I forgive you. Now we can be friends' then maybe none of this would have happened. But I'll tell you now. I don't hate you for what you did." Woohyun didn't move. I stared at his gentle closed eyes for a while but they never opened so I sighed and sat back into the chair.

"You know I also feel guilty for all those things I said about you. Now that you took some of my advice, it's like you lost a bit of yourself and your place in Woolim. I tell you what, I think it's better that you act your usual arrogant self instead of changing to fit my view. You wanted me to like you didn't you? That's why you stopped playing around," I laughed. It looked like he was smiling slightly. "Maybe if we could have gone back in time to start over, I might have done things differently and played along with your game. You're a good person and I was the only one who couldn't see that.

"But instead, I chased after Sungyeol who doesn't even like me. I knew it was too good to be true," I sighed and then suddenly froze still. Sungyeol! I'd left him at the arcade as I ran after Woohyun! He must be so mad at me right now...I'm sorry Sungyeol.

The door to the room gently creeped open and the doctor came in. He smiled at me and we both exchanged bows.

"Are you his girlfriend?" he asked. I said yes so he wouldn't ask anymore questions about it. It was getting tiring shaking my head all the time.

Woohyun suddenly stirred and we both whipped around to see his eyes flicker open and blink around the room. He rubbed his chin and squinted at the doctor who had come up to him.

"Nam Woohyun-ssi, how are you feeling? Does anything hurt?" the doctor asked. He shook his head slowly with his eyes still half closed. I giggled at his moon eyes which made it look like he was wearing mascara.

"Where....am...I?" he breathed. His voice was shaky and tired.

"At the hospital. You ran out into a main road and got into a car accident. We've called your family who'll be here very soon so don't worry. You do remember don't you?" Woohyun tilted his head to the side and pursed his lips, then finally shook his head. "Well it will come back to you. At least you have your girlfriend with you for the moment." The doctor smiled again and nodded towards me. I cringed and looked at the wall art instead.

I felt Woohyun's gaze turn to me and he spoke as if he'd just noticed me. "Girlfriend? Her?" I turned back to look at him and he gave me a hard look. "Sorry but I don't have a girlfriend."

The doctor frowned and let out a fustrated sigh. "It seems you're still adjusting. But just to be sure, I'll ask you some questions, alright?" Woohyun nodded but didn't stop glaring at me. "What is the last thing you remember?"

"Hmmm....I was walking to school this morning. And everything was fine." The doctor nodded and turned to me so I shrugged.

"What happened on the way to school?" he asked. Woohyun took a sharp breathe in and thought hard.

"There was a very annoying girl in the year below me following me to school. She was taking pictures of me but she denied it and stormed away. She called me a hypocrite and said she hates me. Also claimed to be in my Drama class," he said with a huff. I started to shake and my shoulders felt heavy as I realized what he was describing. It wasn't today. It was ages ago. The last thing he could remember was the first morning he talked to me. The doctor noticed my shaking and turned to face me.

"Do you know what he's talking about?" he asked cautiously. I trembled as I looked at Woohyun's confused face. I wished that we could go back in time and start over again and now it's happened.

"Y-yes. He...h-he isn't talking about this morning. He's talking about a morning that happened four weeks ago," I whispered.

"What?! No I'm not. I remember perfectly clear the whole of today. Yesterday I was on the roof of the school and Jieun was giving our performance group a pointless lecture before I went home. For some reason I took a long detour which was weird. And today I went to Drama class and took Myungsoo's place on stage. I can't remember who I was doing the scene with though but that doesn't matter. Then some idiots were insulting me so I made them shut up somehow, " Woohyun blurted out. He gave me a sneer and scoffed. I nodded to the doctor when he looked at me.

"That's exactly what happened today. But......he's missing out certain parts," I said. Woohyun opened his mouth to protest but the doctor interrupted.

"Can we talk outside for a moment please, Haneul-ssi?" he said. I nodded weakly and followed him out the door. Outside, he turned to me and spoke quietly.

"So what you're telling me is that his memory reaches until today but moments are missing until about four weeks ago?" he asked seriously.

"Yeah. But....it's true to some extent. Except that the only parts he can't remember are parts where I'm involved."

The doctor nodded with a worried expression. Then sighed to me apologetically.

"This may be quite hard to take in, being his girlfriend. But unfortunately I think that Woohyun-ssi has mild selective memory loss," he said. I froze in shock and looked back into the room to see Woohyun playing around with his hair. I began to tremble again and shook my head. "It's not too serious I think but we'll do some tests."

"How did this happen?" I asked desperately. I thought finally I could make up with Woohyun but all those memories were gone.

"Although its not a common cause, I think it applies here. The reason could be when the person wants to forget about a certain subject during the trauma. Maybe as the car hit him, he was feeling remorse and resentment towards you and that meant his body rejected all memory of you so that he could be healthy.

"Any negative feeling might hinder his recovery so he removed memories that might cause him pain and suffering in the future. Although this might be hard to hear, only a strong pain from something could cause this effect. Don't worry too much yet. If it's only a mild side affect, it's possible to bring back those memories.

"You could try things like visiting certain places that hold memories, get him to eat food that is associated with that memo....." The doctor's voice slowly became blurry to me as the message sank in. I could no longer hear anything as I slumped back on the wall and stared into space. I almost killed Woohyun. I've actually made him lose his memory. I caused Woohyun that much pain?! But he doesn't even like me! Wasn't he just being selfish by chasing after me...?

Gradually I came back into reality.

"...And often simply discussing might bring back memories. I think right now you should talk to him about your plans. Also make sure he hasn't forgotten about other important events." I nodded without thinking and walked back into the room alone. Woohyun was sitting up and still playing with his hair but when I walked in he stopped and gave me a curious smile.

"So you're my girlfriend are you? And I've forgotten that?" he asked as I sat in the chair. His eyes bore into me and he kept the smile.

"No. I'm just your friend."

"Right. It was a misunderstanding?"

"No, I told him I was your girlfriend. That's not true. Although I could have been, since we almost got that far. It was my fault because I didn't trust-"

"What's your name?" Woohyun interrupted. I stopped and frowned at him and his grin widened.

"Yoon Haneul...." I waited for a response but he just stared into me. "Does it not bring back any memories?" He shook his head. "I'm sorry. I must of really hurt you."

"What did you do to make me want to forget you? Wait! Did I commit suicide?!?!" Woohyun's grin dropped and he looked like he had become dizzy. I quickly flung my arms about and shook my head.

"No! No! It's just.....Well the story goes that you thought I hated you. I don't know why you became so upset. I suppose you didn't want me to go out with Sungyeol." I looked at my feet and rubbed my clammy hands on my skirt. I had no idea how I should be explaining this. Suddenly Woohyun took hold of my hand and clutched it tightly. His eyes looked deep into mine.

"Your shirt. That's my blood isn't it," he said earnestly. I looked down and saw the stains. "It's you who's upset. Not me. I can't remember you, but I can see right now that you've looked after me. And you'll help me won't you?"

I nodded with a weak smile as tears budded from my eyes. He wiped them away with his thumb but more just came until I was fully crying. I'd kept all my emotions down because I was scared and confused about them but now I just released them all and cried in front of Woohyun. And he stayed there for me. And I'd have to stay there for him.