Forgive Me

Oppa Hates You

A/N Since I can't update so often for the moment because of exams, here's something a little different. ^^ I hope you don't mind to be patient for a while XDD 

 

[ Woohyun's POV ]

Why should it be this way? I did all I could but it wasn't right. How do I do anything when I have absolutely no experience at all?! Am I wrong? Can you blame me? I can't deal with this kind of thing. And that's why she hates me.

I pulled my knees up as I sat on the wall surrounding the back of the school. Registration had begun but there was no chance of me going. I just stared at the sky and sipped my morning coffee. It was bitter.

The bell for class rang and I hopped off the wall before anyone saw me. As I walked around the school without a direction, I thought about how stupid and jealous Haneul must think I am. She must also hate me so much more than ever now she thinks I'm horrible enough to set up my best friend...

I wondered what she was doing at that moment. She would be walking to her first class with her elegant carefree strides. She would be happily chatting as if the rest of the world didn't matter. She would be smiling and laughing with Soyeon. Or even worse, with Sungyeol. I've just made them even closer haven't I? Well it doesn't matter anymore since she doesn't want to know me at all. What right do I have to win her over. Even if I could, I wouldn't know how.

"OPPAAAA!" rang the sound I was all too familiar with. I didn't look round and continued aimlessly pacing the corridors. "Oppa! Wait for me!" Who is this? I can't even recognise their voices any more.

I looked at her for a moment as she caught up to me and assessed her. The typical plastic doll with long dark hair and a very curvy body. Her face was the usual one that had no personality, just fake prettiness. Usually I would have instantly my Nam Charms but these girls just aren't attractive anymore.

"Hi,do I know you?" I asked her, trying to remember her face. Nothing was coming up.

"It's Mirae! We went out last week, silly!" she said, giving me a small tap on my arm with her fist and puffing her cheeks. "I've been calling you everyday and texting but you never answered. Were you that busy with Infinite?" She batted her eyelashes and jutted out her bottom lip like a fish. Usually I'd find that cute but.....I seriously have NEVER heard of a Mirae.

"Sorry, babe." I gave a fake chuckle and she smiled. "You know how stressful competitions can be. I'll tell you what...You and I can take a little break so I can get through this showcase and you can catch up with your friends. Does that sound okay?"

She nodded and then walked into one of the classrooms. I instantly forgot what she looked like again.

"Don't approach him, you know that one of his smiles is worth a hundred lies," a voice whispered from inside the room. There were many more whisperings but I couldn't be bothered to listen in. None of them know me. I shouldn't care. Haneul would be sensible and avoid them but it doesn't work that way for me. They approach me.

___________________________

I somehow found myself wondering into my Drama class so I secretly walked in silence to the back of the auditorium where no one would see me. Everyone was intensely watching Haneul on stage playing out a scene. The reactions weren't incredibly in awe of her but to me, she was so captivating.

Haneul is one of those people who, on our first encounter, doesn't seem to be all that interesting. She's someone you don't look twice at because of her long wavy brown hair that every school girl seems to have; and her neatly prim uniform that in no way screams excitement; and also her simple make-up free complexion saying she isn't interested in appearances. An average girl.

But as you get to know her, she's someone you just can't forget. Her long wavy brown hair suits her better than any other girl at school. Her neat prim uniform proves she is responsible and mature, not ty or nerdy. And her simple make-up free complexion is in no doubt purposefully left that way to show her milky-smooth skin and natural beauty. Why would she want to cover that up?

It was strange how I'd suddenly started to notice these things in a girl. Before I met Haneul I could never focus on qualities other than that they have a nice body. Without realizing it, I'd fallen under the spell of her passionate words and her warm-hearted concerns. It's been a very long time since a girl could touch my heart the way she does.

"Haneul-ssi! Let's go from the top again!" the teacher yelled. Haneul bowed and turned back to Myungsoo who she was doing her scene with.

"Don't you get it?! This clock is telling the wrong time. If I'm not mistaken, we've been travelling through our day five minutes late," she recited perfectly.

"The time doesn't matter," Myungsoo replied. "You must definitely not forget when midnight arrives."

"Of course, there isn't a chance for me-"

"STOP! Just stop right there," the teacher rudely interrupted. "Myungsoo-ssi I'm sorry darling but it's just not working. Is it the costume? Would you prefer another outfit?" Myungsoo shook his head but it was clear he also felt that the teacher was rude to interrupt Haneul. "Should we swap your role with someone else?" Before he could reply, she randomly shouted out my name. "WOOHYUN-SSI!!"

I got up confused and walked down the steps towards the stage.

"Yes, seongsaem-nim?"

"Take over Myungsoo's place will you?" she muttered while flipping through the script lazily. When will TOP-saem return?!

I regrettably walked on stage and Myungsoo clutched my shoulder as he walked off. I stared at the ground and shuffled my feet awkwardly. Someone handed me a script and when I looked up it was Haneul. I nodded and the teacher yelled to begin.

"Don't you get it?! This clock is telling the wrong time. If I'm not mistaken, we've been travelling through our day five minutes late," Haneul began again. I hesitated for a moment as I looked at her in front of me. She played her part so beautifully that I almost believed she had forgiven me. I snapped out and said my line.

"The time doesn't matter," I replied. "You must definitely not forget when midnight arrives."

"Of course, there isn't a chance for me to forget. You'll be with me all night won't you?" she said, looking me straight in the eyes with an intense expression. I gulped and nodded without thinking. I'll do anything for you to forgive me. Someone in the audience coughed and I remembered we were on stage.

"I'll be by your side, don't worry. When the grandfather clock strikes midnight you must be out of the palace! That is the one rule you must obide by. Don't let me down. Please." I whispered the last part and the audience became dead silent. Haneul's gaze was so hard and unnerving that I stood rigid like a wooden board. No one was even brave enough to breathe. Except Haneul who carried on without even a small reaction to my sincerity.

"Of course! I shall be off now. See you at the party!" she chirped. The silence continued but she wasn't fazed. And even though the scene had ended, no one moved or said anything. This electricity she'd been sending buzzing around the whole hall was enough to stop anyone dead in their tracks. Eventually, Haneul got called off stage and she walked to the teacher with her eyes still sending me waves of intensity. My feet would just not move and I stayed there like an idiot. Everyone stared at me so I put on my usual charm and smiled with a shrug.

"Yah! Nam Woohyun! What the hell are you doing?" someone in the crowd shouted to me.

"What? Nothing-" I said hesitantly, not really understanding.

"Why are you just standing there?" someone else shouted. I looked around but I couldn't tell who it was and began to panic that someone was making fun of me. I quickly walked to the steps but someone shouted again.

"Don't be a wuss! We all know a player like you can do what he likes, so why don't you show us something!"

That's it I'm getting really irritated. "What the hell do you want?!"

"You think just turning up when you like is fun for us?! Show us a little of that Namstar and we'll give you our review. Isn't that all you care about anyway?" a voice yelled again. This time I caught who said it and shot a cold glare to the girl in the third row from the back who was giggling with her friends. I should just ignore them. "Come on! Where's your image gone, Woohyun!" her friend sneered at me.

"SHUT UP!" I yelled. The hall became quiet again and all eyes were on me. Haneul looked up from talking with the teacher and looked at me expresionlessly. I couldn't afford to give her my pleading look this time and stared at the ground instead.

"Ugh, don't tell me to shut up, player! That's right everyone knows you're a pathetic player!" Inside I was terrified but I knew that I had to be my old self again to win them over.

"You're right, the thing is I can be a player. I'm hot and popular enough. Don't hate because you're jealous-" I said with a smirk.

"Jealous?! I hate you!"

"Well, baby, oppa hates you." I used the same line I always did but it still didn't shut her up.

"Don't mess around Nam Woohyun. I don't care about what you think. You only care about your looks and whatever girl you date you only care about her looks. You're a disgusting disgrace!" she spat. I had no reply to that since I felt the same way about myself. "You do whatever the hell you like whenever you like because you're a shallow jerk! At this rate you'll be alone forever-"

"HEY! Can you stop that now?!" Haneul yelled at the girl. I looked up and saw her face was full on angry. It was terrifying and I should know. "You've made your point now stop screaming at him please." The girl turned to her and sneered.

"What's it to you? It's just the truth so I can say what I like!"

"Excuse me but do I know you? I don't think so, so don't speak to me like that. You've disturbed everyone so please stop being rude." I stared at her in awe at her passion. She looked her most beautiful when she was really determined to get her way.

"Who do you think you are?!" the girl continued. It was fine when she was rude to me but to Haneul... "That guy is a shallow-"

"Stop it now. You're wrong anyway so stop talking."

"What?! How am I wrong?!"

"Because girls like you are just stupid hypocrites who like to put the blame for their failing lives on innocent people to make themselves feel better." Everyone was still dead silent. No one had talked for a good 15 minutes and were all captivated by the conversation.

"Hypocrite?!" the girl's friend screeched. Haneul tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and tilted her head.

"How do you see Woohyun? For his personality? For his good intentions?" I stared at her in surprise and it was secretly nice that she had said my name, even if it wasn't really a compliment. "I think you're just as shallow as him."

The girl was dumbfounded and Haneul turned back to reading through her script. The class started talking again but I had nothing to say. I wanted so badly to hug her right then but she hates me and I don't have the right. I can't let her slip away from me like this. It might get too late. It hasn't even been an hour since school started and yet my heart is already hurting. I need to talk to her. See her smile. Get her back.

She's the first person I've met in this school that doesn't see the school's Nam Woohyun but the actual guy I used to be. There must be a way to make her forgive me. If I miss this chance, when will I find another like her?

"Woohyun-ssi!" the teacher called. She hadn't even said a word about the arguement. "I'm assigning you this role so you're going to have to work hard to learn all the lines. I'm sure you can do it." This play is going to fall apart. But even so, this could be my chance. Confidently and casually, I strolled up to Haneul.

"Haneul, would it be possible to practise this scene with you after school today?" I asked in my most polite tone. My knees were shaking and my palms were sweaty but I did my best to look her in the eyes. She didn't look up from her script and instead let her long hair fall across her face so I couldn't see her reaction.

"I'm busy today," she said in monotone. My heart sank instantly but I wouldn't give up.

"Maybe tomorrow then?" I asked, my voice almost begging.

She shook her head but sighed and said, "Sure." That was all I needed to hear to become extatic and jump around like an idiot- but of course I just nodded and said, "Cool," in return.

She wouldn't understand how I feel anyway.