Different From Usual

The Timid Dragon and the Terrifying Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DARA

 

 

I woke up feeling energized and refreshed which was a rarity. I opened the curtains and was greeted by the warm and happy sun that directed its rays right to my eyes.

 

er.

 

I covered the window with a scowl on my face and went for the light switch. As soon as the light glorified my room, I was hit with the sudden realization of how much of a slob I really was. The top of my dresser had a variety of food wrappers, dust bunnies, and stray pieces of hair. My mirror had some indistinguishable stains on it that I refuse to identify. What the hell even is that and how did that even get in there?! You can barely see the floor since it's all cluttered with school papers that I had to do for student council, clothes, some random , and my hopes and dreams. 

 

I looked at the corner of my mirror which was the only part that was 'clean'. I removed the eye boogers on the corners of my eyes and made faces just to entertain myself. I glowered at my reflection. No matter how hard I try to make myself look like a demon from the pits of hell, I always end up looking like I'm doing an aegyo. Ugggh, why do I have to look so adorable?! Why do I have to live with this struggle?  I rubbed my face in different directions with my lips protruding out, clearly annoyed with myself. 

 

"Well this is a first."

 

I looked back to see Teddy with a bucket of water on hand. He nodded his head looking all impressed and a bit smug. He put the bucket down on the hallway and made his way towards me using dinosaur steps since my was in the way. When we were only an arm apart, he put his hands on my shoulders before giving me a tight hug. My face scrunched up and turned sour. 

 

What the hell? 

 

He patted my back slowly and I eventually did the same, although I was confused for the life of me. I began to think of reasons why he would hug me all of the sudden. All three of my brothers don't usually initiate skin-to-skin contact with me. Most of the time I'm doing all the touching. Whoa... that did not sound right. Anyways, my mind was filled with possible reasons for this unexplainable but oddly delightful hug. Does he need money? It's not like I have money. I 'occasionally' pick pocket from them but they don't have to know that. We are a family after all. Family should help family out, you know. And like hell am I going to give him my spare change. I was a beggar to begin with. We beggars need to protect our dirty cash... Is he leaving? No, he's too much of a baby to do that. He'll get all sentimental and end up staying in this house for another century.

 

Is he.... No.... 

 

My eyes started to moisten and I unconsciously hugged him tighter making him stop patting my back. He removed his grip from me and cupped my face. He laughed at me, saying that I had snot dripping out of my nose. I smacked his back hard earning me a whimper. 

 

"Am I amusing you?!" I shrieked. 

 

"Very much so." He gave me a sturgeon face.

 

I heard scuffling from the door and found Jay and Sanghyun peeking over the door frame. Once they saw my face, they immediately bolted to our direction and joined us making a group hug. 

 

"Why are you crying, ssantokki?" Sanghyun cooed at me. 

 

"Did hyung do anything to you?" Jay made a face at Teddy. 

 

"Oppa hugged me!" 

 

"Oppa?" the 3 said in unison. 

 

"Because he's gonna die-a-a-a-a-h." I stuttered and bawled even louder. 

 

"Hyung! You're going to die?!" Sanghyun grabbed his shoulder and inspected him. 

 

"YAH! What makes you say that I was dying?!" 

 

"YOU ING HUGGED ME AND WENT ALL SILENT AND !"

 

"CAN'T I HUG YOU JUST BECAUSE?!" 

 

I pouted at him while I evened out my breathing. Fair point. I looked at the time and saw that it was just 7:01. Damn, I woke up early today. Teddy, Jay, and Sanghyun were busy wiping off the tears on my face with their sleeves while looking at me worriedly. I gave them a toothy grin before the three of them bonked my head. 

 

"What was that for?" I looked at them with wide eyes. "I'm gonna call child services!"

 

"Yeah, try that. And after that you'll make a fool out of yourself since you're already 18 and no longer a child." Sanghyun patted my head roughly. 

 

I flailed my arms at them while giving them the finger. I dinosaur-stepped out of my room and made my way to the kitchen. I grabbed a plate and stuffed it with food where it was almost to the point that my plate couldn't even be seen anymore. The three went down while laughing amongst themselves. They then sat with me on the table and started digging in. I've never had a proper breakfast with them before. It kind of feels weird but satisfying at the same time. Plus, I still had loads of time since I woke up earlier than usual, which means more time to laze around like the bum that I was. HELL YEAH!

 

My lovely meal was suddenly interrupted by my loud ringtone. I strode to my phone with rice stuffed in my mouth. I creased my forehead when I looked at the caller ID. 

 

I swallowed my food and almost choked in the process making my brothers roar in laughter. I told them to off before answering the phone with my ever-so-sweet voice.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Dara-ssi!" The raspy female voice came from Lee Chaerin. She was the student council vice president and a junior. She only calls me when there's a problem so this phone call isn't gonna end with me being smothered by warm and fluffly puppies.

 

"Oh, no need for formalities, Chaerin-ah." I said. I really don't like it when people go all formal on me. I can't take anyone seriously once they call me with formalities. I feel like the sincerity of getting close to one another is gone when people don't make the move to be familiar with them. 

 

"Dara, Seungri-ah..." 

 

Goddammit Seungri. 

 

Seungri is another junior and the student council secretary. Now that I think about it, I think there's only one other senior that's in student council and the others are either juniors or lower. Traditionally, the student council president was the senior with the highest grade ranking, and it was actually supposed to be Seunghyun in my place. But when the entirety of the school realized what a retard he was and how his incompetence shined as bright as the sun, they went to the next best thing which was Jiyong. But people were too intimidated and afraid of him so they went for the third best thing which was me, unfortunately. To be honest, I hated the student council. Why would I waste my time with petty events that no one's going to even appreciate? But as time passed on I was able to have the authority to boss people around in all levels of the school which was a god sent. Thank you Jesus. 

 

"Seungri, he...." 

 

I pulled my face out of the phone and sighed irritably. "What did he do?"

 

"He mistook the papers for the cultural festival as scrap paper and threw them out."

 

"All of them?" 

 

"All of them." 

 

Well, there goes 2 months of work and preparation down of the drain. 

 

"Arasso, I'll be there in a couple of minutes." 

 

And torture Seungri for me while you're at it. 

 

We said our goodbyes and I ended the call and slumped down the sofa. I didn't even bother to finish my food and just went straight to the bathroom to take a quick shower. I hurriedly fixed myself while simultaneously un-thanking Jesus under my breath. I threw Teddy the car keys and dashed to the door. The initial shock of the temperature from the outside made me sneeze and shiver uncontrollably. And before I could pull down my pant legs, I felt a warm hoodie draped over my shoulder.

 

I looked forward and saw Jiyong putting a hoodie on me  with his eyes full of concentration. I glanced back to see Teddy at the door, gawking at him while the other two were gawking at him from the dining room. 

 

"What are you doing here?" I unconsciously let out a small smile.  "You stalking me, Jiyong?" 

 

He didn't respond to my teasing which made me snarl at him. He was fidgeting on his spot while trying to avoid the gawking stares of my brother. I gave Teddy a hard slap on my face, totally shocking Teddy, Jiyong, and the rest of my brothers. 

 

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR?!" 

 

"Shhhhhh." I put my finger to his lips. "Indoor voice." I whispered. 

 

"And who might you be, Mr. Bentley?" Jay raised his arm and leaned on the door seductively making me look at him in disgust. 

 

"M-m-my na-name is Kw-on Jiyong." 

 

"He-e-llo. N-na-nice to mi-eet y-y--you. I'm P-park Sanghyun." he laughed. "Do you have something up your ?" 

 

I slapped Sanghyun's shoulder making him wince and looked at him wide-eyed. "That's exactly what I said!" I then gave him a high five. 

 

"Arasso, Idiots, this is Kwon Jiyong. A friend of mine." I draped my arm on Jiyong. I saw my brothers squint their eyes at the both of us and I just shrugged. "That old man that's trying to look cool is Teddy. That drug addict-looking one is Jay, and that tall man-baby is Sanghyun. And sadly, they're all my brothers." 

 

Jiyong bowed at the three of them and the rest tried to scare him by scowling at him. Aigoo, so embarrassing. But they suddenly stopped when Jiyong gave them his everyday the--do-you-want? lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter