Bandaged Promise

The Timid Dragon and the Terrifying Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"PUT ME DOWN!" Dara wriggled while being carried like a sack of potatoes. " YOU! PUT ME DOWN OR I'LL CASTRATE YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!" 

 

Sanghyun gulped at her threats. He glanced at his eldest brother who was having it worse. 

 

"I DON'T LIKE BEING LIFTED! TAKE ME DOWN, TEDDY! DO YOU WANT ME TO SPANK YOU IN FRONT OF ALL THE PEOPLE IN HERE?!?!? BECAUSE I CAN DO THAT NO PROBL--- TEDDY!!!!" Their lovely mother boomed and smacked her eldest son on the side of the head. 

 

The guests and workers around them stopped and looked at the scene that was happening on the side of the room. Two men were carrying two women by the shoulder and no one seemed to be doing anything. Hyori was notorious for being the 'strong independent woman' in the company and she didn't like it when people help her if she didn't ask. So because of that no one dared to help knowing the consequences that might ensue. Meanwhile, Dara's friends went after them but they were stopped by a serious-looking Jay. 

 

"Where are they taking Dara, hyung?!" Jiyong gripped on Jay's suit, worry evident on his face. 

 

"Who's the smoking hot lady, Jay hyung?" Seunghyun asked. 

 

Jay gave his disciple a side glance then suddenly looked at him smugly. "That's our omma." 

 

"THAT'S YOUR MOM?!?!?" All of them shouted. 

 

"Teddy oppa looks older than her though..." Bom said. 

 

Youngbae scratched his head in thought and then studied Jay's face. "You look older than her---" 

 

"WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WITH HER?" Jiyong interrupted. 

 

Jay hugged Jiyong because he was starting to get anxious. He kept asking him what was happening and trying to get away from him but Jay would only hug him tighter. Dami was running towards them while panting heavily. She got Jiyong from Jay and she started cooing him. 

 

"Why did you guys take Ms. Lee too? Do you wanna get yourself ing killed?!" She gritted. 

 

"I don't think omma would kill us. We're good." He flashed her a smile. 

 

"You're Ms. Lee's children...?" 

 

"What are you going to do with her?" Jiyong weakly repeated. 

 

"There going to settle things out the Park way." 

 

"And what the hell is the Park way?" 

 

"Put them into a small room until they're friends again." 

 

Yes, the 100% foolproof Park way. Those two would surely settle things, alright. 

 

 

_________________________________

 

 

"We're doing this for your own goo. Dara, listen to mom well, arasso!" Teddy shouted over the other side of the door. 

 

"OH OFF, YOU BALDING OLD MAN!" 

 

Teddy's lips trembled. Why does she always have to tell that to him? He's only in his late 20's but he was already starting to lose hair. This is why he always wore hats. He patted his head to see if his hair was still there and he regretted it feeling how thin it had become. He looked at his youngest brother worriedly and Sanghyun nodded at him understandably. Teddy gave him a thankful look before dashing away and covering the top of his head. He was probably going to look through a mirror and check if he still had hair left. 

 

Sanghyun was now alone in the hall. They put the two in a storage closet within the venue and locked them from the inside. They banged, kicked, and scratched the door loudly from the other end sending him chills. God knows the combined power of these two amazons and they would surely be dead if they find a way to escape. 

 

"I don't here anyone talking yet." Sanghyun knocked on the door which just enraged both woman. 

 

"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT YOU BACK IN MY WOMB SO YOU CAN SUFFER, HUH?! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT, SANGHYUN? DO YOU WANT TO SUFFER?!?!?!" 

 

If you thought Dara's threats were exaggeratedly scary... Hyori's threats were even worse and more graphic. 

 

When they didn't hear a reply, the both of them begrudgingly slumped down on the room that was filled with toiletries, boxes, and some linens. They refused to look at each other, well Dara mostly. Hyori wanted to speak but she was scared that she going to get rejected even after her explanation. Maybe Dara would listen and maybe she won't, but how would she even know if she was too scared to even do anything?

 

Hyori stole a quick glance at her only daughter and saw her picking on the ground with a clearly irritated expression. Hyori bowed her head down on her knees, feeling guilty and dejected. She was the reason why her daughter looked so mad right now. She was the reason why they had a problem. And she's the reason why they were put in that stuffy room. She was the one who asked her sons for help but in the end she was the one who was too afraid to follow through. 

 

Hyori played with her ring and remembered the person that gave it to her and the person that she'd vow to love forever. But she was young back then and 'forever' was easier said than done. She clutched on the simple band and hoped that she could find the strength to tell her everything. Dara was young and impressionable so there was no doubt that she would misunderstand and think badly of her. But Hyori knew that it wasn't like that. She knew that if it wasn't for what she did in the past, they wouldn't be in here doing the Park way of handling things. 

 

They both sighed audibly, successfully getting each other's attention. Dara glanced at her mother, her brows furrowed in annoyance while Hyori peeked over her knees, her face blank with emotion. 

 

"You were so noisy earlier and now you're quiet?" 

 

"HOLY !"

 

"JESUS CHRIST!"

 

Minzy suddenly stepped out from on of the boxes and looked at the both of them with judging eyes. Both girls were clutching on their chest, wide-eyed and scared less. Sanghyun, being left in charge of guarding, was sitting on the floor near the door, just wondering what happened inside and if they made any progress. 

 

"What are you doing here, Minzy?!" Dara went up to her and held on to her shoulders to check if she was alright. 

 

Minzy glared at her and slapped her hands off, earning a snarl from her. Dara scooted her back to her spot and grumbled to herself like the 20 year old that she was. 

 

"Aigoo, Minzy-ah~ Look how much you've grown! I remembered when y---"

 

"Shut up, old lady."

 

Hyori's smile twitched and Dara puffed her cheeks to stop herself from laughing. No plastic surgery or Botox was going to hide the fact that she was indeed old. Hyori scowled at her superior's daughter who she has been trying to kiss for years and muttered curses under her breath.

 

"Why are you two here?" Minzy asked monotonously. 

 

"Why are we here? Why are you here?" Dara shot back, feeling more irritated now. 

 

"I always stay here whenever they make me go to parties. I don't like people. You're people. Get out." 

 

"Tell that to the idiot on the side of the door." The loving mother laughed bitterly and lightly banged her head on the wall. 

 

Now they were stuck with the heartless Kwon too? This just gets better and better.

 

Minzy shrugged and headed for the door. The two women looked at her with expectant eyes. Maybe she was the key to their freedom. Minzy knocked on the door but didn't hear a response.

 

"Let these two out. I don't want them here." Her voice was high and screamed innocence but the words that she said were coated with the harsh reality. 

 

"Why are you there Minzy-ah?" They heard Sanghyun ask from the other side. 

 

"Get them out of here." 

 

"No can do, little miss. They can't leave unless they're friends again. Sorry but you have to stay there with them for a while."

 

Minzy faced them and sat down, leaning against the door. The two others looked at her, bemused. Was that it? That's all she was going to do? She's the freaking daughter of one of the owners. She has the authority to--- A sudden realization suddenly hit them. They were dealing with Minzy here. The girl who refuses to exert any effort that she can. They slumped their shoulders defeatedly and averted their each other's eyes when they would accidentally meet. 

 

"Get on with it already!" Minzy suddenly complained and kicked both of their legs. They glared at her but the little girl had much more dangerous eyes and she wasn't even trying. "Fix your stupid problem so you can leave already." she whined. "I don't would rather have obba here!"

 

"In your dreams, brat." Dara accidentally said aloud and she widened her eyes when she saw Minzy's eyes boring through her. The girl started throwing hits on her face making Dara spazz out and scream in fright. 

 

Although it sure was an amusing sight to see, Hyori had to stop it since her daughter was clearly no match for the 7 year old. Hyori caught Minzy by the waist and pulled her to her lap were she was met by a big bear hug. She struggle against her and started directing her punches to her face but Hyori began to tickle her. After a minute of some hardcore tickling, Minzy gave up and evened out her breathing while Hyori continued to hold on to her. 

 

Dara felt her heart sting when she looked at the very familiar scene before her. She used to be the one in her arms and they would be the ones laughing it out. She looked away and curled her fist, only feeling more hurt at how Hyori was looking at Minzy as if she was her own. "Start talking." Dara interrupted the two's fun while not meeting her mother's eyes. "I want to leave this place as soon as possible." 

 

Minzy looked up and saw her sad and heartbroken face. Hyori let out a big sigh before looking at Dara in the eyes even though she refused to look back at her. 

 

"Remember when appa---"

 

"Don't call him appa..."

 

"Just go." Minzy murmured and held on to Hyori's hand, feeling them tremble and her hold on her weaken. 

 

She smiled at Minzy only to be rewarded by a nod. She looked back at Dara and struggle to keep the smile on her face. 

 

14 YEARS AGO -- AT DARA'S HOMETOWN WITH HER WHOLE FAMILY IN THEIR HOUSE (ITALICIZED LINES ARE FLASHBACKS - whoa inception - AND NOTE: THE SCENES IN HERE DID NOT ALL HAPPEN IN ONE DAY) 

 

"Appa!" 

 

The father glanced over the living room and found his 6 year old daughter rubbing her eyes awake and yawning. He smiled and turned off the stove and made her way to her. He ruffled her hair only to be rewarded by a frown. 

 

"Aigoo, so early in the morning and you're already cranky." He mused and massaged her chubby cheeks. "Do you want to help appa make breakfast?"

 

Dara nodded her head absentmindedly still half-asleep. He scooped her up and started tickling her sides, making her shriek and squirm in his arms. 

 

"Yah, appa!" she whined and pinched his hand to stop him. 

 

"Give me a kiss first." Her father bargained and moved his cheek close to her. 

 

She gave it a slap before giving him a loud and wet kiss on the cheek. He grimaced a little bit and wiped off her saliva with her forehead making the little girl shriek again. "You are just like your mother." He shook his head amusedly and bounced her in his arms. He then pinched her nose as the two of them made their way back to the stove. 

 

"Good morning appa!" Jay greeted while doing battle poses from the bomb- cartoons that he loves. 

 

Their father did an exaggerated gasp and urged his daughter to do the same but she just gave him a nasty look. He started clapping and praising Jay when he made new and more... unique poses, ultimately boosting the young man's confidence and future stupidity. 

 

"Oppa looks cool, neh?"

 

Dara looked at her father incredulously. "Oppa looks like an idiot." 

 

"YAH!"

 

Their father laughed and continued cooking up their breakfast with his kids talking and playing in the background. A silver band shone on his left hand. He smiled as he remembered the promise he made. The promise that he'll give the mother of his children the wedding that she deserves once they have enough money. He started whistling when a pair of slender arms suddenly circled his waist. He looked down and saw a familiar silver ring that matched his. The ring that was given with a promise. 

 

"Joongki-ah~" Hyori said sleepily and nuzzled her face on his back. "What are we having for today?"

 

He looked back and gave her head a quick peck and she hummed in pleasure. "Kimchi fried rice?" 

 

Her eyes widened and she glanced back at her daughter and saw her bouncing excitedly. Kimchi fried rice = a good day. Hyori lifted Joongki up from the back and he was surprisingly not faced at all. She always did this whenever she was excited about something so it was only natural that he already got used to it since they were together for a good 15 years now. 

 

"Are all of them awake now?" He asked while Hyori was jumping excitedly behind him. He felt her shook her head at his back. "Go wake them up then. I'm almost done." 

 

Hyori gave his exposed neck a smooch, making his ears blush. She then walked over to her two kids who were playing with some toys. She crouched in front of them and greeted them with a mischievous grin. "Want to wake up the others?" And they replied with very eager nods. 

 

~

 

The three quietly sneaked inside of the kids' bedroom with Jay and Dara holding their own pails of water. The big mattress on the floor had two boys sleeping soundly on it. Dara and Jay snickered at their mom who was shushing the both of them. Hyori went up to her sleeping sons and lightly shook them awake. The two boys groaned and slapped their mom's hand off. 

 

"Wake up now! Appa's cooking Kimchi fried rice." Hyori shook them harder now but the two only snuggled closer to their pillows. "I'm warning you! If you don't wake up, bad things will happen..." She said mysteriously. 

 

The two of them rolled around in their bed as protest while still having their eyes closed. Hyori looked over to her other kids and nodded at them. 

 

"1." She started. 

 

The boys ears perked up but still remained on the bed. 

 

"2"

 

Teddy peeked with one eye and saw Dara and Jay holding a bucket over their heads. He widened his eyes and was about to wake Sanghyun up but...

 

"3!"

 

The cold water was dumped on their faces making the two shot up and whine seeing how completely soaked they were. Jay and Dara giggled while she was hiding behind her big brother. Hyori had a towel on hand and started drying her boys up while laughing along with her other kids. 

 

"Omma!" Teddy complained. "It's not funny!" 

 

"So not funny!" Sanghyun seconded. 

 

Joongki opened the kids' room to tell them that everything was ready when he saw his whole family laughing with each other. Hyori was making funny faces at her children and the rest would laugh. He scooped up the little Dara and she squealed and snuggled closer to her dad. He then went over to his now completely dry sons and lightly knuckled their heads and they exaggeratedly wince in pain. "Wake up early next time so you won't get punished by omma, arasso?" The rest chuckled again and the two boys just whined even more. Hyori and Joongki met each other's eyes and shared a loving smile. 

 

"Come on. Let's go eat together." 

 

___________________

 

"Oh, Joongki-ah. Did you go straight here?" Lee Jongsuk, the bakery shop owner asked. "Where's that bum?" he meant his sister, Hyori. 

 

Joongki sat down on a chair and rested his head on his folded arms. He didn't bother answering him because he knows that he knew where she was and because of the fact that he was too tired to speak. The man had 2 full-time jobs and 1 part-time one. Two jobs was already able to sustain his family but he had to take an extra job since he wanted to save up for his wedding and to prove to a certain someone that he can give his family a happy life. 

 

He raised his head up when he saw Jongsuk serving him a cup of coffee. He declined thinking that he had to pay for it but the latter insisted saying that it was on the house. He thanked him and started drinking the coffee while the other sat beside him and studied his tired face. 

 

"Are you still not letting her work?" Jongsuk put his chin on the palm of his hand. 

 

He paused for a moment and set his cup down. They've had this talk before and even now the answer will always be the same. "No, I can handle it." 

 

"Can't handle it, my ." Joongki couldn't help but chuckle at him. The Lee's were known for their blunt but refreshing personalities. "Look, at you! You look older than her now and that hag is 3 years older than you! Do you want to look like an old man at your age?" 

 

"If it means that she can keep looking beautiful, then yeah." he chuckled, looking at his black coffee. 

 

Jongsuk cringed as he heard his bum of an older sister being called 'beautiful'. Joongki glanced over and lightly punched him on the shoulder when he saw the disgusted look he was giving him. He stood up and made his way to the staff room when Jongsuk suddenly held on to his arm. "Where are you going?" he asked. 

 

"Work?" 

 

Jongsuk looked at his store making the latter do the same. The bakery was completely desolate. Hell, there was even a tumbleweed rolling down the floor. He really made a bad decision of opening up a bakery in the middle of nowhere. 

 

"There's no one here." Jongsuk said bitterly. "I'm telling you to rest. Take it before I change my mind." 

 

There was determination in his eyes that didn't go unnoticed by Joongki. He sat back on his seat and pinched his cheek earning him a glare. "Don't look at me like that." Joongki playfully hit his chest and batted his lashes. "I might fall in love with you too." 

 

Jongsuk flicked the guy's forehead earning him a loud wince. "ing disgusting." He chuckled and shook his head. "I'm scared that your kids may take after you. Just the thought of it gives me the shivers." 

 

Joongki looked up in thought. Jay has been starting to take after his quirky personality while Sanghyun comes in a close second. But Jongsuk doesn't really need to know that. Dara and Teddy mostly take after their mother's charisma. He sniggered at the thought of his children making the man beside him look at him questionably. "You losing it already?" 

 

He shook his head while a grin was evident on his face. He lifted the cup up but found that his hand started to tremble. He quickly put the cup down and rubbed his face, feeling his left hand lightly shake against his skin. Jongsuk looked at him worriedly but didn't bother trying to pry him for answers. Whenever he would ask, he would just turn quiet and stare at space. 

 

Jongsuk took the coffee away from him and poured it down the sink. Joongki looked at him confusedly while massaging his hand. 

 

"I shouldn't have given you that..." the owner said somberly while the later just smiled, thankful that he was concerned about him.

 

Jongsuk knows that he has been having trouble staying awake and energized for work leading him to drink insane amounts of coffee to get him through the day. He urged him to quit at the bakery multiple times so he can rest but Joongki wouldn't have none of it. He partly knew why he was so adamant about working everyday. Him and Hyori's father was a strict man and he wanted the best for both of his children. Although the two didn't live in luxury, he made sure that his kids would have a bright future ahead of him. So when he found out that his firstborn got knocked up by her boyfriend, he was completely enraged. He forced her to go to abroad to live a new life there were their parents would 'take care' of the unplanned baby. Of course, his sister refused and said that she would rather be disowned and they eventually did despite their mother's protests. Joongki protected her throughout all that. He wanted to tell her father that he's capable of taking care of her and their future family. The old Lee didn't see it that way. He saw that this man had just rid of his daughter of the future that he had hoped for her and now all of his efforts were put to waste. Joongki tried to persuade the man but he would only look at him with discontent and anger. Hyori and Joongki eventually moved to a small town in Busan to start a new life without the stress from her father.

 

It has been years since that encounter and Hyori looked like she was past it but Joongki wasn't. Everyday and every night, he would ask himself if he really was depriving Hyori of a better life. They've already been together for 15 years and had 4 children together but they still weren't even married yet. No, he wanted to give her a proper wedding. A big one, one that will make every other bride jealous, and the one that will show her father that he was capable. Only a promise ring was exchanged and a vow that they will be together no matter what. 

 

But they were young and stupid, and didn't know how hard would life would really be like. Nothing would last forever if everything wasn't balanced. Soon enough the lighter part of the scale would have to find something heavy to make the unevenness stabilize but the heavier part wanted to remain heavier than the latter making the them frustrated and just leave entirely.

 

"How are you, Joongki-ah?" 

 

Was that meant to be a joke? He laughed but the smile didn't reach his eyes. Joongki leaned on the backrest and closed his eyes, feeling it getting heavy by the second. Jongsuk looked at him pitifully and gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder. He stood up and went to the kitchen, leaving him to sleep and surround the empty store with his silent snores. 

 

______________________

 

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LET ME WORK, JOONGKI?!" 

 

He lied down on the bed, his arm over his eyes. His left hand was trembling again but he hid it behind his back so she wouldn't see. His body was completely exhausted and he just wanted to sleep but it seems like he's not going to get it in the meantime. The kids were all at school so they weren't there to hear their parents argue about the same thing over and over again. 

 

"Because I already am..." 

 

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? Do I look like I can't handle myself? I went to freaking college, Joongki while you didn't even finis---" 

 

"Am I not enough for you?" he mumbled but it was loud and clear in her ears. "Every time we talk about this, you always bring it up. Does it bother you so much that I didn't finish college?" He made himself sit up and struggled doing so but he didn't make it obvious. "I stopped for you. I stopped so I can let you finish. I stopped so I can give you and our family a good life." He looked at her and chuckled weakly. "I stopped because I love you." 

 

"But I didn't ask you to stop... I never did. " She smiled back bitterly. "Joongki, I'm saying that I have a degree and I can work and help you. Why do you always have to make me the bad guy? I can help you so why aren't you letting me?" it came out as a whisper. "I thought we were a team?" 

 

"Don't worry, Hyori! I'll give you the life you deserve. You will live like a queen!" Joongki stood on the small coffee table and raised his fist triumphantly. 

 

"Like a queen! Like a queen!" The 4 year old Teddy repeated. "Omma is queen!" the toddler giggled. 

 

"And what does the queen do exactly?" Hyori raised a brow and rocked the year old Jay in her arms. 

 

"Sit on your throne. Look pretty. And tell me that you love me." 

 

"Queen omma is pretty! Very pretty!" The little yes man seconded and he ruffled his boy's hair while discreetly giving him candy. 

 

"What will you be then? My King?" 

 

"Ani!" He put raised his hand and shook his head. "I will be your knight in shining armor. I will protect you from evil and preserve your beauty!" Joongki went to her and tickled her other son's nose earning him a soft and cute giggle making him squeal. 

 

"Aigoo, being a queen sounds boring. I'm already pretty and sitting on the throne. I would rather be the knight." 

 

"No! Only one knight is allowed in this household. Begone of that heresy and do your last job!" 

 

"Do your job! Do your job!" 

 

Hyori looked at him incredulously and the latter just wiggled his brows while his son copied as well. She laughed and pinched Teddy's and Joongki's cheeks making the both of them whine. 

 

"I love you." 

 

"You are the queen and I'm your knight." He lied back down and looked at the ceiling. 

 

"This isn't a joke, Joongki! Stop it with your fantasies because where living in the real world right now. You're dead tired and you need to rest! I can work! Why are you being so difficult?!" 

 

He closed his eyes, feeling sleep starting to elude him. Hyori was still talking in the background but it seemed faint in his ears even though she was just a few steps away from him. 

 

"Sit on the throne. Look pretty. And tell me that you love me..." 

 

"You're making me feel useless, Joongki! I feel like I'm in prison! I'm always stuck inside the house when there's a bunch of opportunities out there for me... For us! Why can't you ing see that?!" She raked her hair feeling completely irritated and teary-eyed. "Why are you holding me back...?"

 

"I love you..." 

 

He didn't hear a response but he did hear the door slam as well as loud footsteps. He laughed bitterly and brought his hands to his face and rubbed the tiredness out of it. He still had work 2 hours from now and his kids would be coming home any minute. He covered his nose and his mouth with his hands and let himself look at the blank ceiling in front of him with his eyes getting blurry with tears. He felt the warm liquid rolling down on the sides of his face as he inhaled deeply. 

 

"I love you..."

 

_____________________

 

"W-where are y-you-u go--ing?!" Joongki tried to catch up to Hyori but he felt his body getting heavier each step. She was already in his reach but whenever he tried to take her hand, he would miss. 

 

The two of them were in the streets while their children and their neighbors looked on to see what was happening. The kids just got home from school and heard their parents arguing. When Hyori saw them, she ran out of the house while Joongki stumbled and chased after her. 

 

"I'm sleeping at Jongsuk's for a while." she replied coldly. "And thinking about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter