Together

The Timid Dragon and the Terrifying Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Two guys were looking for the same girl and the same girl was looking for both guys. 

 

Dara was in the street market section of downtown Seoul which was not far from their apartment. While Jiyong was a block away from her and Donghae was only a few meters away from the both of them. The three of them didn't know where the others were. The only things that were on their minds were to find the right person before it was too late. 

 

Jiyong was looking for Dara because he was worried about her and thought that he was stupid for leaving her behind with Donghae. Anger and jealousy may have consumed him earlier but that was all replaced with concern and yearning once he heard that she was looking for her. She asked her to stay earlier but he just left since he was too caught up with himself. I should've stayed, he repeated on his mind. But one thing's for certain, when he finds her, he's never going to leave her side again. 

 

Donghae was looking for Dara because he hasn't given up. Though his chances seemed smaller than an atom, he couldn't just give up the love that he held on to for the longest time. Through the years, his mind has been clouded by the same girl and through the years he vowed that he'll get her back again. He may have ed up big time but he was willing to get her to like him back no matter what the cost. Jiyong may be a big obstacle on his way but he was willing to take the risk for the girl he never forgot. 

 

Dara was initially looking for Jiyong but when she received a text from Donghae saying that he followed her and now he was lost, she started looking for him too. Donghae was known to be bad at directions. Hell, he was worse than a really old lady in a middle of a tech store. Once she's in, she'll get flooded with confusion as to what was going on around her then she just gets frustrated. That was Donghae, the poor lost boy. She got a call from Jiyong earlier but she was too late to answer him. When she tried to call him back, she got stopped by a text from him. 

 

Jiyong: Don't worry, I'll find you. I always do.

 

It was short and simple but somehow his message got her a sense of assurance. He was always there for her when she felt down, frustrated, happy, excited--- he was there for everything. And all of those times, he would always find away to make her smile and feel loved. Hearing Donghae's story from earlier made her feel like she knew nothing about Jiyong. She knew that life in abroad didn't well for him but she didn't know that it came to that horrible extent. Just then she realized that their relationship mostly revolved around her. She never really asked him about what his life was like back then. She got snippets from Dami and Jiyong's random stories but other than that, a big part of him was still a mystery to her. So now it's her turn to be nosy. Jiyong has been nosy ever since they started dating. He even asks what color underwear she was wearing so that they could match. Seunghyun and Jay would be put to shame when they know how much of a ert Jiyong really was. 

 

Although Dara was keen to finding both guys, she was also notorious for getting off task. She easily loses her focus when she sees something that interests her. So far she has only stopped twice to look at something which was actually a record for her. Usually shiny things immediately trip her off but then her mind wanders back again to a certain someone making her go back on track. 

 

Donghae ran through the stalls, panting and sweating. He hasn't been in this much physical activity since he lifted a 5 lb dumbbell and swore to never make the same regretful mistake again. He kept muttering things in English that the people around him couldn't comprehend. Thankfully they didn't because if they did, they'll think that there was something mentally wrong with him. 

 

"Donghae get a hold of yourself! ...Hey, didn't you just pass that pole and that ahjumma that sells fish sticks earlier? Holy-- where the am I? Aisht, why did I have to follow those two? Wait, no Donghae. Don't think like that. You are gonna get Dara no matter what! ...But Jiyong is gonna kill you... No, Donghae! Be a man. You are a Lee and Lees are the toughest of men. You can do it Donghae. Donghae is a great guy that girls loves. Don't be a , Donghae."

 

Yeah, Donghae had the tendency to refer to himself in the third person when he's all riled up. Under all his rather stoic flower boy looks was a complete dork that panics very easily and ends up hating everybody even though they did nothing to him. 

 

Classic Donghae. 

 

"Where are you Dara?" Jiyong breathed while searching in the crowds of people on the streets. Concern was starting to set even more. He remembered what she was wearing earlier. Baggy joggers, a fitted shirt, his over-sized hoodie, and her hair was tied up in a messy bun. And nothing screams 'kidnap me right now because I'm cute' like Dara. His palms were starting to sweat just thinking about the predators looking at her with malicious eyes. He passed by a stall selling some fish sticks but he failed to notice the girl he's been looking drooling over the delicious-looking pieces of cholesterol and heart disease on a stick. 

 

Dara slumped her shoulders when she remembered that she didn't bring her wallet and just released an irritated grunt. She stomped away from the stall and went to the direction opposite from were Jiyong passed by. 

 

She suddenly felt her phone vibrate on her hands and she quickly answered it, not even checking who was calling. 

 

"Dara!" came in an exhausted voice. 

 

"Where the are you?" 

 

"Stay right there." the person from the other line groaned. "I can see you." 

 

"Arasso, I'm hanging up---"

 

"DON'T! What if I get lost? I don't want to have to call you again." 

 

"So troublesome." she muttered. 

 

Donghae held his phone up to his ear as he gazed longingly at the petit figure that was just a few feet away from her. She was looking down and making circles with her toes that's why she couldn't see him. She continued to rant about his  shortcomings which mostly dealt with his short legs that make him look disproportionate and he in turn, defends that his legs were perfectly perfect. A wide smile was appearing on his face instead of a frown. Even though she was thrashing him, he can't help but feel a sense of bliss knowing that they were now comfortable with one another and that she was taking notice of him... even though she only took notice of the negative things to spite him. 

 

He walked in small steps towards her direction, savoring the chance to imprint her face on his mind. He will never get tired of seeing the same youthful glow that she emits effortlessly. He bowed his head as he felt himself blushing as thoughts about her continued, fueling more to his imaginations about them being together. 

 

"Dara.." he heard a husky voice over the phone. 

 

But sadly it will only stay as mere imaginations. 

 

"Jiyong..." he heard her say before the call was dropped. 

 

A bitter laugh escaped his lips as he slowly looked up to see Jiyong hugging her by the neck. Her back was facing him and all Donghae could see was the relief on Jiyong's face. Donghae turned his phone off, still staring at the couple. No matter how close he was to getting her, he will always be too late. This happened back then when Dara confessed to him too. It was only when he was a thousand miles apart from her did he realize that he was stupid for letting such a wonderful girl go just like that. He was so close then but he denied her. 

 

Donghae ruffled his hair as he let out a raspberry. His eyes darted to Jiyong and then to his scarred hand. He then turned around and started walking in the opposite direction with his hands tucked inside his pockets. His steps felt heavy, it was like something was pulling him to stay. He took one last glance, hoping that Dara looked behind her, but he only saw Jiyong's naturally intimidating eyes staring at him, Donghae playfully pouted at him and he could've swore that he saw Jiyong smile back. He gave him a thumbs up and Jiyong nodded at him. When he felt his hand tremble, he pocketed it and continued walking away from them. 

 

He looked up and noticed that the skies were still gray. He let out an annoyed sigh but he couldn't help but notice the shakiness of his voice. 

 

"Must be raining." he said to himself as he felt warm traces of water on his cheeks.

 

The people walking passed him were looking at him weirdly but he just smiled in return. They would sure look at him weirdly since he was a foreigner, he would defend in his head. He wiped his wet cheeks dry with his sleeves but even then it still didn't stop. He closed his eyes, frustrated. He forced a grin, hoping that it would eventually make him feel better but he could still feel some drops rolling down to his chin. He let out another annoyed grunt as he opened his eyes and looked up to see the cloudy sky that was starting to lighten up. The taste of salt entered his mouth as he vigorously wiped off his face dry earning furrowed brows from passersby. 

 

"Damn, it's raining hard today." 

 

 

____________________________________

 

 

Jiyong held her tight as if she would disappear once she let go while Dara was weakly tapping him on the arm as she was starting to feel suffocated. 

 

"J-jiyong!" She heaved. "Can't... breathe!"

 

He reluctantly let go and Dara quickly patted her chest, feeling the oxygen going through her system once again. When she finally evened out her breathing, she looked up to see his worried face. She gave him a soft smile and brushed his hair. Jiyong snapped out of his daze and smiled back at her. He started scratching the back of her ear making her squirm and giggle a little bit. She snuggled closer to his touch while taking a hold of his right arm. Her hand traced on the heart tattoo on his forearm and soon she felt the scar that was hidden beneath it. Jiyong froze on his spot, feeling vulnerable that she noticed a mark from his past. Instead of looking at him questioningly or pitifully, he saw her looking at the scar with a somewhat apologetic face. He reached for her hand but stopped when Dara's voice interrupted him. 

 

"I'm sorry." 

 

He held her chin up so that he could get a better look at her. Her eyes were welling up with tears but she tried hard to control it. She was biting her lower lip and avoiding his eyes, afraid that one look from him would make her cry in the middle of a busy street. 

 

"Why are you crying?" he asked softly as he cupped her face and examined it. 

 

She met his eyes and that's when she felt she couldn't hold it in anymore. "You went through so much... I didn't know.. I didn't even ask.. All this time I never knew what really happened to you. ... I don't even know what your favorites are." she laughed bitterly and he wiped off her tears with the pad of his thumb. "I'm such a bad girlfriend..." 

 

"Hey..." He grabbed her hands on put them on his face. "I'm actually glad you didn't ask because once I tell it to you, you'll get sad... I wanted to be the reason for your happiness, not your sadness." 

 

"ARE YOU ING RETARDED OR WHAT?" She suddenly burst out making the people around her and Jiyong jolt a bit. "I would rather be depressed as instead of being ignorantly blissful. Okay, I would rather not be depressed, but you get what I mean." He nodded with a smile. "We're a team and I want to understand you better so we can do well. Your problems are mine and my problems are yours. I hope you get that. It doesn't matter if it's hard, as long as you share it with me, I'll help you get through it. I want to know more about you. Your past, your present, and -- even your future---" 

 

"You're my future." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter