Beast Disguised as the Beauty

The Timid Dragon and the Terrifying Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Well, well, well..." 

 

A flamboyant man wearing a chartreuse feather boa walked along the auditorium's stage while gazing over the entirety of the senior department. It was that time of the year again. That time where he can show the world his capabilities of directing and producing. They told him that he couldn't. That his dream was farfetched! 

 

Well they thought wrong. 

 

"I see a bunch of lovely students that will go great as my leads." The man giggled over his lapel mic. 

 

The students looked at him with pure anxiety. The man was notorious for going over the top with his plays which would often result in everlasting embarrassment and shame from the students' part.

 

"But sadly we have to go by traditions." He pouted. 

 

Please kill me now. 

 

Since the cultural festival is closing in, the seniors have a school tradition of producing a big play as their farewell token to everyone.

 

Mr. Roger, or preferably Mr. Rogé was the school's head drama teacher. He was full-Korean, but his one trip to the U.S. and France turned him from being Mr. Ra Ji (he used to go by a first name basis),  to Mr. Roger, to just recently -- Mr. Rogé. Anyway Mr. Rogé was in charge of giving the seniors their play and instructing them on how to coordinate it. His only actual job in this production was to supervise and guide them through it, but he ends up directing the whole thing in the end. He couldn't pass up the opportunity of making his dreams come true. 

 

"Arasso, all of you line up so we can get this over with." Mr. Rogé huffed in annoyance. Well why wouldn't he? His talent was being restricted by some lousy customs.  

 

The students hesitantly lined up towards the cardboard box that had the word 'ROLE' messily taped on it. Everyone started producing sweat and act all fidgety. They can only pray to god that they don't get a big role. 

 

"What's going on?" Youngbae yawned and rested his chin on Dara's shoulder on to which she slapped off. Jiyong then protectively put Dara in front of him and glared at Youngbae. 

 

"The annual senior play!" Seunghyun said excitedly behind the tired midget.

 

"Don't tell me you're excited for this?" Dara whispered to him with a crease on her forehead. 

 

"Of course I am! I'm awesome at acting. Plus, I can't let my attractiveness go to waste." 

 

"Darrraaaaaaaaaa" Jiyong nuzzled the top of his head on Dara's hair. 

 

"What?" 

 

"What if I get a big role? People are going to look at me! What if I mess up! Oh my god, I CAN'T DO THIS!" Jiyong half whispered, half yelled while shaking her petite figure. 

 

"Relax, Jiyong-ah." Bom petted his hair. "There's a one in a million chance that you'll get picked. There's like 150 people in this room. I doubt that you'll get picked for something big." 

 

"Darraaaaaaaaaaaa" 

 

"Can someone tell me what's going on? What are we lining up for?" Youngbae interjected. 

 

"We're lining up for the roles that we're getting. It ranges from off-set roles to the actors." Seunghyun sighed dreamily. 

 

Or as they called it, they were lined up for their dooms. No one can back out from their roles. If you were a girl and you were playing an overly macho ist guy, they won't switch you out. Not unless you get in a terrible accident of course. Throughout many years, students have been trying multiple ways to get out of this dreaded play. They would pray religiously to all the gods for something bad to happen so that the play would be a no-go. They would try and boycott it. They would try and make an alchemy circle in order to lose one of their body parts to regain their disembodied brother who's soul was stuck in a badass-looking metal armor. They tried everything! So in order for them to agree with going through with the play, the school made it a graduation requirement so they all have to do it no matter how badly they don't want to be in it. Now this is what I call an abuse of power. 

 

"Sounds fun." Youngbae said lazily and slowly drifted back off to sleep while standing up. 

 

"Why are you always falling asleep?" Dara nudged Youngbae awake. 

 

"Jet lag." He hummed and caught Dara in a back hug. 

 

Dara struggled in his hold and pinched his sides in order to get away from him. Jiyong, who now had a noticeable discontented face, forcefully took her away from him again and lightly pushed Youngbae behind Seunghyun. Meanwhile, Bom and Seunghyun where internally squealing seeing the jealous dragon in front of them while Youngbae just closed his eyes sleepily while wearing an amused look on his face. It was a really good thing that they were in the back of the line and the people were too caught up having internal breakdowns. If not then Dara and Jiyong's façade would have been blown already. 

 

"Daraaaaaaaa." 

 

"What?" She asked, now irritated. 

 

"We're getting closer and no one's getting the lead roles yet!" 

 

"Good! That means that lead role is meant for yours truly!" Seunghyun puffed his chest. 

 

Jiyong was right, no one has gotten the two lead roles yet. It was customary that the play would have two leads in it. The reason? No one knows actually. And it doesn't matter if it was a romantic play and people from the same were the lead roles. Last year's senior play was 'Sleeping Beauty'. One guy was Aurora and another guy was the prince. And boy, that wake-up kiss was sloppy. It was long too. But don't misunderstand guys, they're not gay. They said 'no homo' before they kissed passionately so it's all good. 

 

The group looked at the students who already got their roles. Most of them were jumping for joy because they got to be back-stage helpers and some were crying shamelessly, seemingly in a tremendous pain. There wasn't enough roles for the actors since there were 150 seniors participating. But not all the actors had to speak. A number of student had non-speaking roles just to fill up the whole crew. Some were trees, bushes, or even tables. 

 

The group begrudgingly walked up the flight of stairs that led to the stage, except for Seunghyun who was hopping merrily. They all stopped and stood in front of the godforsaken piece of worthless cardboard that held their uncertain dignity. They caught eye contact with one another and silently agreed that they'll open their folded up papers simultaneously. So far no one has gotten the leads yet and since they were the last, two of them were bound to get them.

 

Seunghyun was the first one to get the folded up piece of paper that held his destiny. Next was Youngbae, and the rest followed. They all stayed standing in front of the box along with Mr. Rogé who was resting his arms over it, anticipating what they got as well. The air around them was undeniably thick. So thick that it was getting harder for them to breathe. They all got chilly all of the sudden and their hands got clammy. They gripped on their papers and quietly prayed not to get the big role. 

 

"One." Dara started. 

 

"Two." 

 

"Three!" 

 

They all simultaneously opened their papers and all of them stayed fixed on their spots, completely frozen. Seunghyun suddenly kneeled on the ground. The rest were too caught up with their own world that they didn't even notice him. His eyes started to well up and he leaned forward to the floor making him kiss the ground with the mess that he called his face. When he started wailing that's when everyone woke up from their reveries.

 

"W-what did you get, Seunghyunnie?" Bom crouched down to his level and comforted him. 

 

Seunghyun looked at her with a clearly messed up and disgusting face. Snot was dripping from his nose and his tear stains made him look more terrible than he already was. He hugged Bom tightly and bawled in her arms.

 

"Backstage." He whispered, only enough for the group to hear. 

 

"There, there." She cooed. "Wanna switch with me?"

 

The rest suddenly crouched down as well and started comforting Seunghyun. Mr. Rogé couldn't hear what they what saying but he sure was entertained by what he was seeing. He patted himself in the back for slipping in the 'lead roles' at the last minute. He wanted these specific people to get it. Another abuse of power, I might add.

 

"Hey now Seunghyun." Dara massaged his hand and he looked up at her. "We're a team right?" She smiled.  "And I think I got something that you'll love." She waved her folded piece of paper.

 

"Seunghyun-ah." Jiyong gave him a puppy look and Seunghyun unconsciously sighed in content. "You were my first guy friend in Korea. Remember that phone I gave you? That was expensive." He scooted closer to him and fiddled with his piece of paper. "I think you'll like this better than Dara's."

 

"Choi." Youngbae cleared his throat successfully getting everyone's attention. "Wanna meet some girls? Foreign girls. Beautiful foreign girls." He put his paper over his smirked lips. "Want to pass up that offer?" 

 

They all huddled over to Seunghyun who was tempted with the three's offer. Would he go with friendship, paying off a 'debt', or girls?

 

So far, Youngbae's offer seemed the most tempting to him.

 

Bom suddenly grabbed a hold of Seunghyun's collar and crashed her lips with his. Because of the impact, they two fell on the ground with Bom on top of Seunghyun. She danced her tongue with his playfully, making him roll his eyes back and groan. The rest of their friends looked at them with the utmost disgust and just pocketed their papers. They know for sure that Seunghyun's going to give his role to Bom. Damn men who think with their . 

 

Dara, Youngbae, and Jiyong faced back to Mr. Rogé with uneasy looks. The drama teacher had a knowing smile on his face. He knows that two of them had the leads judging from their desperation earlier. He motioned them to spill the beans, and the three looked at each other with clear regret. 

 

Dara was the first one to get her paper from her pocket. She slowly opened it up and showed it to Mr. Rogé and the rest. 

 

"Male lead." She murmured to herself.

 

"Oh wonderful!" He clapped his hands in glee. "C'mon who's next? What's yours Jiyong?" 

 

Jiyong's could feel his lips start to quiver. Youngbae discreetly slid a piece of paper in the palm of Jiyong's hand making him look at Youngbae quizzically. 

 

"Jiyong-ah got the female lead." Youngbae said and roughly patted Jiyong's back. 

 

"PERFECT!" Mr. Rogé's lapel mic suddenly screeched making everyone cover their ears. He then covered the mic and abruptly went backstage. 

 

Jiyong grabbed on to Youngbae's arm all of the sudden and took them away from the group. Nobody really noticed that they left since Dara was too fixed on having a mental breakdown and Bom and Seunghyun were still very much caught up devouring each other's faces. Jiyong put them both in what looks like the prop room and locked the door. 

 

"Why did you do that?" Jiyong asked almost menacingly.

 

"It's more fun to see you do it. You know I'm not one for acting." Youngbae replied nonchalantly. "Besides," He smirked. "I like looking at Dara from the sidelines. She is truly a sight to behold." 

 

"Just what are you playing at, Youngbae?" he gritted his teeth. 

 

"Relax. Aren't you glad you're gonna be acting beside Dara throughout this whole thing? And who knows, There might be a kissing scene there. Shouldn't you be thankful that I gave you my paper?" Youngbae held on Jiyong's tense shoulders with a smile on his face. "Or is it that you want me to be partnered up with her? I won't hesitat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter