Chapter 27 - Beautiful Life

Golden Misery [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The morning came early for Jongin. He woke up at 5.30, much earlier than usual. That kid didn't have a good sleep last night since he was worried about Kyungsoo.

Jongin turned his head toward the door. He had tried to listen to what might happen in Kyungsoo's room, but the other didn't make any sound last night so Jongin assumed the man went straight to sleep.

Jongin wrapped himself in his coat and walked out of his bedroom. The living room was empty, no one was seen there. Jongin glanced at the kitchen, and no one was there too. Jongin approached the sofa in the living room and sat there. He pulled his knees against his chest and starting to think about Kyungsoo.

Did he fight with Suzy? Why did he go home with such a pissed off expression last night? If he did fight with Suzy, what were they fight about?

Jongin bit his lower lip as his curiosity just getting higher and higher. In the middle of his daydream, the boy was surprised with the sound of the door opened. He immediately turned his head to find Kyungsoo was standing outside of his bedroom with a cardbox on his hand.

"Throw this out later." Kyungsoo said before turned and walked back into his room.

Jongin who was frozen in surprisement before furrowed his eyebrows. What's that? The man then stood up from his seat without tearing his eyes off the box. He approached it and crouched beside it.

The box was opened a little and Jongin could spot a photo frame inside of it. His fingers then opened the box to see what's inside.

Suzy's photos inside of the frame came into Jongin's view.

Jongin tilted his head a little and took the photo frame.

It's a picture of Suzy in her uniform. The pretty girl still got her bangs inside that photo, and she was smiling prettily there.

Jongin stared at the photo frame for a few seconds before went through more things inside the box.

There was a vintage music box, still looked good even though Jongin quite sure it was pretty old already. And there was a small white teddy bear. The fur was extremely soft and it's so pretty.

Jongin glanced at the closed door and sighed.

Why Kyungsoo bother to throw all these pretty things away?

Jongin's attention then was grabbed again by something underneath the white teddy bear.

What is that? A scrapbook?

Jongin slowly took the scrapbook and lifted it up.

The scrapbook was petite, and cute. Jongin slowly flipped through the brown colored cover and found various pretty things being sticked inside of it. There's glitters, some stickers, pretty ornaments, and... Suzy's pictures. Well not just Suzy's, but also Kyungsoo. In that picture, Kyungsoo and Suzy were sitting next to each other, each holding coconuts and smiled brightly at the camera. They looked a lot younger than now, probably on their teenagers years. In the corner right of the photo, there written a small handwriting ;

To the best big brother I've ever have. Happy birthday!

Oh, so this is a birthday gift.

Jongin stared at the scrapbook, every inch of it, before sighed. It was prettily designed, such a shame to throw it out.

Jongin then put the scrapbook on the floor, searching through more things inside of the box. He found pictures, mostly Kyungsoo and Suzy's pictures together, and some random things such as small piggy-bank, lunchbox, and even a handmade towel cake. Everything was so pretty, and Jongin decided to just closed the box at the end. He shouldn't throw it away.

Those box was filled with memories, mostly Kyungsoo and Suzy's. He shouldn't have touched it.

Jongin sat on the floor and pull his knees close to his chest. His eyes were still fixed on the box.

Kyungsoo gathered so many things about Suzy. That guy must have liked Suzy so much, huh?

Jongin sighed and finally averted his gaze to the floor.

When Kyungsoo liked him in the highschool back then...did Kyungsoo like himas much as he like Suzy now?

Well... Jongin was just a puppy love for Kyungsoo, the other held grudge against Jongin just because Jongin ruin his pride. Not because of the real broken-heart.

But Suzy?

Jongin think Kyungsoo really fall head over heels with her, and somehow that left a tickling feeling inside of his heart.

Which he also didn't know why.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Business knows no holiday. Even when you are broken-hearted, and even when you are the boss.

Kyungsoo sat down inside of his office room with his gloomy face. Jongin walked toward the dispenser in the corner of the room to make Kyungsoo his daily coffee. The tanned boy watched over Kyungsoo with the corner of his eye, seeing how defeated the CEO looked. Suzy brought such a great impact toward Kyungsoo, didn't she?

Jongin's lips curled downside. He couldn't help but feel a little sad with Kyungsoo's change. Kyungsoo hadn't talked to Jongin that whole morning. They just walked together and sat side by side in silence on their way to the office. Jongin somehow liked the bossy and annoying Kyungsoo much better.

Kyungsoo stared blankly at the laptop infront of him, didn't even shift when Jongin placed the cup of coffee gently infront of him.

Jongin glanced at Kyungsoo's face before sighed softly. He then walked away, leaving Kyungsoo with his own world and went back to his sofa.

Knock knock.

The door was being knocked suddenly and Kyungsoo permitted the knocker to come in.

Yoona entered the office with some files on her hands. She walked toward Kyungsoo in elegance and smiled brightly.

"Good morning, boss! How's your trip? Has it been good?"

Kyungsoo rose his face and just gave a simple nod. "What's wrong?"

Yoona looked a little confused to see the unexpected reaction from Kyungsoo, but immediately regained her consciousness.

"S-so here's some proposals from the marketing and development divisions that they promised to last week." Yoona said while placing the files on Kyungsoo's working desk.

"And for today's schedule, you will attend a meeting with JYP company at 10, and also YG company at 3." Yoona said while reading her notes.

Kyungsoo gave a light nod as he opened one of the file.

"Then... I'll excuse myself." Yoona said politely before bowed down.

Yoona turned to walk outside and sent a questioning face to Jongin.

Jongin just rose his shoulders and turned to look at Kyungsoo who's been drowned reading the proposals.

A few minutes later, a knock was heard again, and this time Taemin entered the office.

"Hello, boss!" Taemin greeted. "Can I borrow Jongin for a while? We need his help."

Kyungsoo just let out a hum as the reply. Jongin stood up once he got an approval from Kyungsoo and followed Taemin outside of the office.

"So, how's the trip? Was it bad?" Taemin asked with a concern on his face.

"No, no. The trip was wonderful." Jongin shook his head.

"Then why the boss looked like he's about to kill anyone right now?" Taemin asked with a frown on his face.

"Well, that's..." Jongin sighed. "Maybe Kyungsoo fought with Suzy-ssi last night?"

"Su-," Taemin looked surprised. "Eh? How come?"

"I don't know. He won't tell me anything." Jongin shook his head. "He hasn't even talked to me yet."

Taemin nodded his head with an unreadable expression. "It's really rare, could it be..."

Jongin watched as Taemin's voice died and he looked like he's in a deep thinking.

"...never mind. They will make up soon, I guess." Taemin grinned. "I thought something happened in Bali, glad that the holiday was well spent."

"It will be such a great memory, if only Kyungsoo didn't fight with Suzy-ssi." Jongin sighed.

"They had started fighting in Bali?" Taemin looked surprised.

"No, but they had started chatting each other in Bali." Jongin pouted. "Kyungsoo didn't even enjoy his last night. Heck, he even fought with me."

"F-fought?" Taemin widened his eyes. "Oh my, you should really tell me why."

"I just-," Jongin opened his mouth but then closed it again.

He wouldn't spill Kyungsoo's secret to one of Kyungsoo's worker, right?

But Taemin... He looked like he's pretty close to Kyungsoo.

Taemin anticipated Jongin's words. His eyebrows furrowed seriously.

"...it's a personal matter." Jongin finally waved his hand.

Taemin finally pulled away. "-i see..."

The two fell into silence for a split second before Taemin turned again forward.

"-but could it be because of Suzy-ssi too?"

Jongin looked startled and Taemin immediately knew the answer.

"Suzy-ssi and boss had never fought with each other before." Taemin said while crossing his arms. "Suzy-ssi is so kind, soft-hearted, and cold-headed. While boss, he's indeed rough and very intolerant, but he has a soft spot for Suzy-ssi."

"Well that's different from the Suzy Kyungsoo told me." Jongin immediately replied, feeling annoyed for no reason because Taemin defended Suzy.

"What did the boss tell you?" Taemin asked.

"He said that Suzy only played around with his feelings, making him like a fool." Jongin replied without thinking twice.

Taemin widened his eyes. "-he said that?"

"Yes." Jongin nodded.

"Wow..." Taemin frowned. "...boss really told you all of his feeling, huh?"

This time, Jongin was the one who frowned. "...eh?"

"Boss Kyungsoo isn't a type who spills his feeling to anyone. He just have a few close relatives that he could share his secrets with."

Jongin almost bit his tongue when he realized that he had just spilled Kyungsoo's secrets.

Wow. Perfect, Jongin. A perfect score for you and your straightforward mouth.

Taemin chuckled when he saw Jongin's face and as if he had known what inside Jongin's mind, he waved his hand. "Don't worry, I have known about it. You see, I'm one of very little relatives that boss Kyungsoo want to share his secrets with."

Jongin still wiggled in regret. He shouldn't have said. Ah, stupid him.

"Anyway, boss hasn't told me about this fight yet." Taemin shrugged. "Maybe later. He seemed depressed though. Well that's not good, since he will be meeting with a few companies today. Putting a gloomy faceisn't a wise option, I guess."

Taemin sighed and frowned.

"...moreover, he's gonna meeting JYP company."

Jongin who didn't know what to do just kept his mouth shut.

"...alright, I'm sorry I have to drag you out." Taemin broke into a wide grin. "It just, Yoona told me that the atmosphere isn't really good inside. That's why I get curious."

Jongin nodded his head. "Yes, it's okay."

"Now you can get back inside of the office." Taemin smiled.

Jongin followed Taemin's advice and walked back into Kyungsoo's office room but when he's only halfway there, Taemin suddenly called out again.

"When he's stressed out, he likes to sing."

Jongin turned around and put his confused face. "Huh?"

"Boss Kyungsoo," Taemin repeated. "When he's stressed out, he loves to sing. A little karaoke might help."

With that, Taemin threw one last grin and turned around to leave Jongin.

The tanned boy blinked before frowned.

"...karaoke...?"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Jongin stared longingly at Kyungsoo from the sofa he was sitting on. Kyungsoo looked quite depressed that time, with an almost invisible bags underneath his eyes. Jongin sighed softly and turned his attention back to some papers that he needed to store.

Kyungsoo hadn't talked much to him unless to order him doing a few things. The CEO was more into himself, thinking deeply with an opened laptop infront of him.

Jongin didn't like this Kyungsoo. He had used to the bossy and cocky Do Kyungsoo who couldn't stand sitting straight for fifteen minutes without order Jongin to do something unnecessary. It's not even a day passed, and Jongin had missed that kind of Kyungsoo.

A soft knock was heard and once Kyungsoo permit the knocker to come in, Yoona popped out behind the door.

"Sir, you will be meeting up with JYP company in an hour." Yoona cooed as the friendly reminder.

Kyungsoo finally lifted his eyes off the laptop and massaged his temples. "Alright. Thanks."

Yoona bowed again and turned away.

Jongin bit his lower lip before let out his voice. "...but you haven't eaten anything yet."

Kyungsoo finally, for the first time in the office laid his eyes on Jongin. "I'll just take supplements."

"B-but," Jongin protested. "You still have an hour before the meeting. You can grab a light lunch like sandwiches or something like that."

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No."

"You have to." Jongin insisted. "Come on, don't be stubborn, Do Kyungsoo!"

"Ah, you are so noisy." Kyungsoo finally turned his head fully toward Jongin. "What are you? My mom?"

Jongin stayed silence for a while before boldly stare back at Kyungsoo.

"No, but I'm your brother. Remember?"

Kyungsoo's eyes widened in surprise when he heard that sentence.

A second passed and Jongin felt like a sudden lightening striked him alive.

Oh my, listen to what he had just said!

Earth, please just swallow him now!

Jongin all of sudden felt really embarrased by saying that.

Who do you think you are, Kim Jongin?

Brother?

And you think Kyungsoo was serious that time?

Jongin's feet almost gave up on him as he tried hard to continue his words.

"...-I mean, well-,"

Kyungsoo watched as Jongin struggled to say something.

"It just-, I just-," Jongin was seriously loss of words. "...I mean b-bodyguard! Yes, bodyguard! My tongue slipped, hahahaha."

Kyungsoo felt the corner of his lips twitched a little. Jongin's panic expression and words are so cute.

"I want to eat, but I want my favorite sandwich." Kyungsoo said while turning his attention back to the laptop.

Jongin rose his eyebrows and let out an 'eh?'.

"You know where to buy it, right? Only a few minutes walk outside of the company." Kyungsoo added.

"Y-you mean I should g-go buy it outside?" Jongin asked. "W-wait, why don't you just eat the food in cafetaria?"

"I don't want to," Kyungsoo shook his head. "I want that sandwich. Come on, be a good brother and go buy it for me."

Jongin stunned once he heard Kyungsoo's words. His eyes turned into a round shape and his lips parted open, surprise that Kyungsoo really admit him as a brother.

So that CEO really meant the words he had said in Bali back then.

Jongin felt his face warmed up for no reason, and he immediately gulped down. He then nodded his head. "I'll go buy it then."

With that, the tanned boy turned his body and walked outside.

Kyungsoo still fixed his eyes on the laptop screen, until the door closed. He then rose his face and stared at it.

Jongin really left.

Kyungsoo stared at the door for a while before broke into a wide smile.

He forgot about his heartbreak for a while.

 

 

 

***

 

 

"So stupid, so embarassing, how could I do that to myself?" Jongin kept on cursing himself while walking toward Kyungsoo's favorite sandwich shop. His face had turned into a deep shade of red.

As a brother... Kyungsoo really told him that he's a 'brother'.

So simple, but why Jongin felt so happy to hear that?

The tanned boy huffed and shook his head.

He also didn't get why he had to force Kyungsoo to eat.

That's the CEO's own choice, not his!

"So he wants to get sick? Such a spoilt little baby." Jongin grumbled while entering the sandwich shop.

Jongin immediately made his order, two warm sandwiches and a cup of hot coffee.

Jongin shivered and adjusted his scarf. The cold temperature outside still lingered on his skin even though the sandwich shop is pretty warm.

While waiting for his order, Jongin's eyes shifted throughout the shop and out to the street. His eyes scanned people there who were walking casually.

Oh, there's a girl, out there, walking with a thin scarf and short pants. Like seriously? In a cold weather?

Jongin couldn't get her at all.

Jongin then shifted his attention elsewhere, to find two lovers were walking side by side. Both were busy with their own phones.

Excuse me? If you want to play with that phone, why don't you just sit nicely at home? When a lover meet up, shouldn't they be talking to each other? Just take a look at a lover over there, inside of the restaurant across the street. They looked so romantic, talk to each other, eyesto eyes.

... Anyway, that boy on the left looked like Taemin.

...

...

...Taemin?

Or is it... really Taemin?

Jongin narrowed his eyes and unconsciously stepped forward, tried to take a closer look.

Well, it's Taemin! He was also dressed in the slim tight suit he was wearing earlier at the office!

So he went out to meet a boyfriend!

Jongin immediately broke a naughty grin. He grabbed his order and immediately made his way out of the shop.

Jongin walked across the street and approached the restaurant where Taemin and his boyfriend were eating. As Taemin's face came clearer into his view, Jongin's grin widened even more.

Jongin walked and stopped right outside of the restaurant looking at Taemin inside through the glass window.

Taemin who was talking accidentally turned his head and jumped in surprise when he saw Jongin standing outside.

Jongin let out a big grin and waved his hand. Curious about Taemin's boyfriend, he shifted his eyes and met the boyfriend's face.

That's when he froze.

There, sitting infront of Taemin, was a face of someone Jongin had ever seen before.

A big doe eyes with a small face and slightly curly long hair.

Minho.

Do Minho.

Taemin let out a frustrated sigh and immediately stood up from his seat. The almond haired boy signaled Jongin to wait outside and then walked out to get the tanned boy inside.

"Are you stalking on me?" Taemin asked once he stood infront of Jongin.

Jongin shook his head. "N-no, I just passed by and I see you. B-but, isn't that... Kyu-Kyungsoo's brother?"

Taemin sighed again and let out a pleading expression. "You are not telling this to boss Kyungsoo, Jongin-ah."

"What-, wait, you are in a relationship...with Kyungsoo's brother?" Jongin this time turned a little horrified. "S-since wh-when?"

"It's a long story." Taemin rose his hands in the air. "But I need to get things clear with you. Now come inside with me."

Jongin didn't know what else to do, so in the end he let himself being dragged by Taemin. They walked back into the restaurants and sat infront of Minho.

Minho's eyes were sharp, examining every single things that Jongin did. Jongin felt himself getting smaller under the preassure.

"...so," Taemin cleared his throat nervously. "-you see, Jongin-ah. This... This isn't like what you think."

Jongin rose his head a little. "-about what?"

"This." Taemin repeated. "I'm not trying to be against boss Kyungsoo. Okay?"

Jongin blinked a few times, letting the words registered inside his brain before he gasped.

"Oh!!!"

Taemin bit his lower lip and nodded. "I don't do whatever you think I do. Okay?"

"I didn't even realize until you tell me..." Jongin said slowly and shifted his attention to Minho. Once he met the other's eyes he shifted it back again downside.

"Who is him?" Minho asked.

"Boss Kyungsoo's secretary." Taemin replied.

"Secretary?" Minho frowned. "Kyungsoo's secretary is Yoona, isn't it?"

"Well, he is, more like a..." Taemin paused a little and sighed. "You know, back then when boss got his very first heartbreak, this boy caused it. Remember?"

Jongin widened his eyes and they were almost popped out of his socket when he heard Taemin's words. "Y-you know??"

"I know it. Told you that I'm one of boss Kyungsoo's closest relative, didn't I?" Taemin replied flatly and turned his head toward Minho.

"Ah." Minho looked kinda surprised. "That classmate? Oh... I thought..."

"Yes, it's him." Taemin immediately cut Minho's words. "So you can say he's...boss Kyungsoo's...special secretary."

Minho scoffed and tilted his head without tearing his eyes off Jongin. "Special secretary, huh..."

"Well, Jongin." Taemin's tone turned serious. "Like what I've said, I didn't turn against boss Kyungsoo. It's just, I'm discussing about JYP company with Minho."

"It's funny to hear you put a honorific on Kyungsoo's name but not on mine." Minho said flatly.

"JYP company isn't a good company, for your information." Taemin continued, ignoring Minho's words. "I don't want boss Kyungsoo to make any agreement with them."

"Because if he does," Minho suddenly added. "Then our company will collapse."

Jongin blinked when he heard the two and frowned. "Oh..."

"You should try to speak to him again, hyung." Taemin said while turning his head toward Minho. "But try a little softer. You are always in fury whenever you talk to him."

"I can't, I just can't." Minho said while shaking his head. "He won't listen to me. Heck, he has already hated me that much, Tae."

"I have tried to talk to him before, but he said that he wanted to try listening to the JYP proposal." Taemin said. "He said, he wanted to prove you wrong."

Minho shook his head. "That stubborn little kid, never listen to me. Tch."

"If only you had a good relationship with him, you guys wouldn't fight this big." Taemin mocked. "All because of that stupid concept of yours."

"I was a kid back then, okay? It had glued to me, I moved by instinct." Minho replied and drank his coffee.

Jongin was left confused with the two's conversation. He just listened in silence, didn't really know what to say or do.

"So, like I've told you, I'm backing away from this problem." Minho said as he put down his coff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter