Chapter 12 - Birthday

Golden Misery [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin opened his eyes when the old alarm clock beside him rang. Those orbs stole one short glance at the clock. Jongin's eyelids then closed again.

Time to work.

Jongin stretched his tired body for a while before letting out a long sigh. He turned his head around and landed his vision on a small photo frame beside his bed. Jongin's hand extended to take it and stared at the photograph of his dad inside.

"Appa..." Jongin called out weakly. "Tomorrow I'm turning 24."

The corner of his smile curled into a soft smile. "It's been 7 years since the last time I celebrated my birthday with appa..."

Jongin's throat choked as he felt a lone tear rolled down from his eyes.

"Tomorrow too... I'll be spending my birthday alone..."

Jongin's trembling hands reached out for the photo frame and pulled it into his tight hug.

"I miss you, appa... I want to see you..."

Jongin closed his eyes as he desperately holding the photo frame.

He missed his dad.

He missed him like crazy.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"I told you I don't want to go!"

Jongin jumped when he was greeted by the loud voice of Kyungsoo that morning.

"Seriously, what's the need of throwing party? I'm 25 already, that kind of thing is actually not necessary." Kyungsoo clicked his tongue in annoyance.

Jongin blinked but kept on walking inside the apartment. He put his backpack on the sofa and waited patiently for Kyungsoo to finish his telephone conversation.

"But, Suzy-ah..." Kyungsoo sighed and started to walk around the apartment. "You know that I hate home, right? That curly monster will be there too."

Jongin raised his eyebrows.

Hate home?

"But Suzy..." Kyungsoo started to sound desperate.

It seemed like Suzy, the one who talked to him on the phone, cut his words because Kyungsoo suddenly fell into one more silence.

"Alright," Kyungsoo finally said. "I'm going. Not for long."

Jongin noticed the CEO hadn't worn his working suit yet. He was still fully dressed in bathrobe, and his slightly wet hair clearly showed that he just came out from the shower.

Kyungsoo groaned as he ended his phone call. "Tsk. Such a troublesome family."

Jongin watched in silence as his boss grumbled.

"We are not going to office today." Kyungsoo suddenly said. "You will come with me, picking up new suit."

Jongin widened his eyes. "E-eh?"

"Don't 'eh' me." Kyungsoo replied while walking toward his bedroom. "Wait there for a moment!"

Jongin bit his lower lip as he sat down on the sofa. He wondered what did Kyungsoo mean by 'party'. Was it Kyungsoo's late birthday party? Or... Just a common business party?

Jongin stole a quick glance at Kyungsoo's room.

And... Jongin didn't know but seems like Kyungsoo didn't like to be with his family.

Why?

The door of the bedroom being pushed open again.

Jongin turned toward it, expecting to see Kyungsoo there but widened in surprise when he saw a girl dressed in oversized black t-shirt came out.

Ah, the girl last night.

Kyungsoo's other girlfriend aside of Minah which means...

Hyeri.

Hyeri sleepily walked out of the room. Her slightly messy hair tangled behind her back and her eyelids were not fully opened, but she still looked so pretty.

Flawless.

Hyeri turned toward Jongin, blinked once and twice before finally rounded her eyes.

"You..."

Jongin tensed when Hyeri suddenly talked to him.

"You, last night..." Hyeri furrowed her light brown eyebrows. "...ahh... It's really you!"

Jongin bit his lower lip in nervousness. His brain played the scenes of last night. Crap, would her get angry because of what had happened? He touched her anyway. But it's not his fault! She's the one attacking at first!

Out of Jongin's expectation, Hyeri let out a lazy smirk.

"I'm sorry about last night." She said while walking toward Jongin. She crossed both of her arms with an interested look on her face.

Jongin felt his face reddened in instant. A pretty girl just approached him, and that pretty girl... Didn't wear any pants.

Hyeri just put on the oversized t-shirt that reached her thighs. She didn't bother putting any pants and walked freely around the house.

It's clear.

Last night, Kyungsoo and Hyeri...

They did it.

"Since when have you been working for oppa?" Hyeri asked while sitting infront of Jongin. Once her touched the sofa, she crossed her legs and revealing her smooth creamy thighs.

"Err..." Jongin was clearly distracted by Hyeri's legs. His face started to heat up again.

"You are quite cute." Hyeri smirked again, leaning forward a little to take a better view of Jongin.

Jongin widened his eyes when he heard the sudden compliment. His heartbeat quickened and he could hear it close to his ears.

"What are you guys doing?" Kyungsoo's voice saved Jongin.

"A-aiyah..." Jongin stuttered as he sat up straight like an arrow.

Kyungsoo was dressed in casual red hem, revealing his also smooth creamy skin. He looked slightly younger than the daily CEO looks he has.

"Don't flirt, naughty." Kyungsoo said flatly.

"I'm not flirting~" Hyeri's voice suddenly went an octave higher. She jumped up of the sofa and walked toward Kyungsoo. "There's no way I flirt another boy other than you, oppa~"

Kyungsoo scoffed and shook his head. "So, you want me to drive you home?"

"Nope, I'm fine by myself. I've asked my driver to pick me up at 9." Hyeri said. "I think I'll grab my breakfast here. Oppa, you going?"

"Yes, I need to get a new suit for tonight's party." Kyungsoo replied.

"Birthday party?" Hyeri asked. "Ah, the one with your family?"

"Hn." Kyungsoo replied.

"Okay, then." Hyeri nodded. "Just leave me, I'm okay by myself."

"Alright." Kyungsoo said. "Let's go, Jongin."

Jongin awkwardly approached Kyungsoo. His eyes caught Hyeri's figure who casually walked toward the kitchen.

"So Yoona-ssi is no longer you assistant, oppa?" Hyeri asked while opening the fridge to pull out a box of low-fat milk.

"She's still my assistant." Kyungsoo replied while walking toward the television table to take his car keys.

"Then that kid?" Hyeri asked again, this time moving toward the rack. Her delicate hands grabbed a box of cereal.

"He's..." Kyungsoo glanced at Jongin. "...more like a personal servant."

Hyeri's mouth hung open and she cocked her side, didn't fully grasp what Kyungsoo was saying. "Huh?"

"I'm leaving." Kyungsoo waved his hand. "Bye."

Without waiting for Hyeri's reply, Kyungsoo had gone outside with Jongin stick close to him from behind.The tanned boy just didn't want to be in the same room with Hyeri again.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"So, we are going to get a new...suit?" Jongin asked.

"Hn." Kyungsoo replied shortly.

Jongin looked down and played with his shirt. He didn't really know what to say so he just sat straight on the chair.

Kyungsoo ran his car to the city center. He stopped the car infront of a big boutique in the heart of Myeongdong.

"Out." Kyungsoo commanded while turning the engine of his car off.

Jongin nervously unbuckled his seat belt and opened the car's door.

The boutique infront of him looked luxurious, extravagant.

Jongin stared at the boutique with mouth gaped open.

A second later, his attention was taken by two beautiful girls that came out from the boutique.

"Miss Jung's dresses are really-really pretty! I'm getting confused choosing one!" One of the beautiful girl said to her friend.

"I told you, right? I've spent million won shopping in this boutique. Miss Jung is the most talented designer on the earth!" Replied the other.

Jongin blinked while following their movement. His eyes then caught a man in an expensive suit walking out from the boutique. That man looked classy with his gelled hair and sharp eyes that kept on stuck to his expensive wrist watch. Must be a business man. A business man who's always busy.

Jongin looked down to his outfit. He just wore a simple worn-out hem with over-washed jeans.

Ugh.

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. "Come in."

With that, Kyungsoo walked toward the boutique.

Jongin felt nervousness ate him alive. "M-me too?"

Kyungsoo stopped walking and turned around. An expression of annoyance printed on his face. "Of course!"

Jongin bit his lower lip. He wanted to tell Kyungsoo he better stay outside but the CEO had already turned his head away.

Sigh.

Jongin at the end followed Kyungsoo inside.

Once the door being pushed open, an expensive smell of room's spray hit Jongin's nose. Jongin didn't know what smell was that, but that smell... Was totally y.

Jongin's eyes widened when he saw how huge that boutique was. The ceiling was so high above and beautiful chandeliers hung above. Expensive marbles were used as the floor. It's so clean and spotless that Jongin could clearly saw his own reflection there. The room itself was bright, classy, beautiful.

Jongin moved his eyes toward the expensive dresses and suits hung on the wall. Each has such a beautiful design and definitely captures everyone's attention.

Jongin gulped down nervously when he saw a beautiful lady was trying one of the dress on, accompanied by two shop assistants. All of sudden, he felt he wasn't belonged there.

Kyungsoo walked ahead of him, straight to a bunch of girls at the center of the room.

"Jessica!"

One of a lady with wavy hair turned her head around to see who's calling her. When she saw Kyungsoo coming, her face lit up to a thousand watt smile.

"Aww~ Hello, Kyungsoo!"

Jongin's breath hitched when he saw the girl who just replied Kyungsoo.

That girl was a definition of beauty. She had a golden blonde long hair and got it curled perfectly. The wave of her hair fell on her side. Her face's small, her body was so slim. She had a nice skin and glowing complexion, and when she smiled... She had those cheerful aura around her.

Enchanting.

"Did Suzy call you?" Kyungsoo asked casually.

"Yes." Jessica-, -the girl's name, smiled. "I've prepared your suit. In the seperated closet behind. Ailee, please take it."

Another shop assistant nodded and walked toward a super tall closet on the corner of that huge room.

"I heard you are having a birthday party tonight?" Jessica asked. "Happy belated birthday, I'm sorry I didn't know your birthday was yesterday."

"That's okay." Kyungsoo waved his hand. "So... Suzy also get her dress here?"

"Of course." Jessica let out a hypnotizing grin. "I've prepared the best dress for her. Just be prepare for tonight. Okay?"

Kyungsoo couldn't help but let out a smirk. "Alright."

Jessica's eyes then landed on Jongin. Her smiling face disappeared and got replaced by a frown.

Jongin felt himself shrinked into a smaller size. Jessica's judging eyes studied his appearance, and those frown... Crap.

"Kyungsoo, who's...this?" Jessica asked while pointing her well polished nail to Jongin.

"E-err..." Jongin immediately froze.

Kyungsoo turned his head and glanced at Jongin. "Just... Nobody. Not important."

Jessica's eyebrows still twitched and that bugged Jongin so much, but the pretty girl finally nodded her head. "I see..."

Jongin released the breath he was holding when Jessica's eyes left him. It eased him a little but he couldn't helpt but got slightly hurt when Kyungsoo said he was just nobody.

"Here's the suit, miss." Ailee said while bringing the white elegant looking suit on her hands.

"Ah, perfect." Jessica smiled while taking the suit carefully. "Here's your suit, pretty boy. Now, let's try to fit this on. Ailee, show him the changing room."

"Thanks." Kyungsoo said while taking the suit.

Jongin blinked and immediately panicked when Ailee escorted Kyungsoo away from him. He's already so awkward standing there in a horrible outfit, with most of the customers' judging eyes on him and Kyungsoo... Left him alone!

"Ah..." Jongin opened his mouth to call his boss but Kyungsoo kept on walking leaving him.

Crap.

Jongin's officially standing awkwardly as the center of attention now.

Jessica took a quick glance at Jongin before busied herself with her papers.

Jongin looked down onto his feet, suddenly finding the carpet looked much more attractive than pretty ladies and beautiful room infront of him.

"Miss Jung,"

Suddenly one of Jessica's shop assistant called out.

Jessica looked up. "What?"

"Mr. Byun is her-,"

"Jessieeeee!" A loud excited voice suddenly filled the room, forcing Jongin to look up.

"Baekkie!" Jessica replied cheerfully and stood up from her chair.

A petite framed boy bounced into the room happily. He was wearing a black sunglasses that hid his eyes so Jongin couldn't really see his face.

"I'm coming to check on my suit!" The newcomer grinned while approaching Jessica and Jongin.

"Perfect timing!" Jessica clicked her finger in the same excitement. "Your cousin is here, also getting his suit tried on now!"

Eh?

Jongin turned to stare at the newcomer.

The newcomer took off his sunglasses and shook his head, letting his brown locks fell right above his eyes.

Jongin widened his eyes when he finally caught a full view of the newcomer.

Crap.

It's the eyeliner-diva from Jongin's highschool.

Byun Baekhyun.

"Kyung?" Baekhyun asked while putting his sunglasses back into his bag. "Ah, finally Suzy could force him coming to his own birthday party tonight!"

"Suzy is a great persuader." Jessica chuckled. "I heard the party will be held in a cruise?"

Jongin widened his eyes when he heard the question.

Birthday party on a cruise? Like-, cruise?

"Yeap. Would you mind to join us tonight, princess?"

Jessica chuckled. "I'd love to, dear. It just, I need to fly to French this afternoon. I get invited to attend a fashion show tonight."

Once again, Jongin widened his eyes.

Flying over to French?

Tonight?

"Are you staying there for a long time?" Baekhyun pouted. "Gonna miss youuu."

"I'll miss you toooo~" Jessica also pouted her lips. "Just a few days. I need to get done with Hyori onnie's wedding dress."

"Ah, right." Baekhyun nodded. "Can I see my suit now?"

"Of course." Jessica smiled. "Hyorin, get Baekkie's suit."

"Yes, miss." A slightly tanned girl called Hyorin immediately walked away to grant her boss' order.

Baekhyun turned around and finally landed his eyes on Jongin. His eyes immediately squinted and he eyed the boy up and down.

Who is this boy, and why he's dressing all shabby in this kind of place?

Jessica followed Baekhyun's eyes.

"Kyungsoo bringing him here."

Baekhyun turned around. "Eh?"

Jessica raised both of his eyebrows.

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows even more. He knew all of his cousin's employee, but he swore he had never seen this one.

A poor looking boy like this one.

Jongin on the other hand had frozen in fear.

What if Baekhyun discovered him?

Tsk, Jessica shouldn't had told Baek-,

Oh, no! Baekhyun walked toward Jongin.

He stood up right infront of him. "Are you a new employee?"

Jongin gulped his saliva forcefully. He kept his eyes on the ground, didn't know what to say.

"Hello?" Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm talking to you."

Jongin's whole body trembled in fear. Baekhyun lowered his head and took a closer look to the boy.

"Hei, I said I'm talking to y-,"

Baekhyun's words cut off once he saw Jongin's face. His eyebrows knitted into one and he stayed on his position for a few seconds.

Jessica who's watching that got confused.

"B-baek?"

"A-ahhh!" Baekhyun finally screamed while pointing at Jongin. "Y-you! You!"

Jongin shut both of his eyes tightly.

Crap, Baekhyun discovered him.

"K-ki-,"

Baekhyun was completely speechless. His small eyes widened and his lips parted.

"Kim! Kim! Kim-, Kim whatever! W-what-, how could-, e-ehh???"

Baekhyun still couldn't control his voice.

Jessica immediately checked on her other guests, afraid Baekhyun's voice would disturb them. Luckily there was not too many guests there. Just a madam who got her dress checked and a lady who's looking through Jessica's dress collection album.

Jongin started to shift on his feet. Uncomfortable feeling surrounded him, especially with Baekhyun beside him.

The curtain of changing room suddenly pulled open and revealed Kyungsoo. The CEO had changed back onto his casual clothes with left hand holding the white suit.

"Perfect." Kyungsoo said to Jessica. His eyebrows furrowed when he saw someone standing beside her. "Eh... Baekhyun?"

"Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun half shouted and pointed at Jongin. "H-he... How could you... H-he's with you?"

"O-oh..." Kyungsoo immediately got taken a back. "I-, let's just talk about it later."

"No!" Baekhyun gasped dramatically. "I need to hear the explanation now! How could you-, how could you not tell me anything?"

"I've never told you anything." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "Get it over. I'll explain to you later."

"B-b-but..." Baekhyun stuttered as he stared at Jongin.

"I should get going." Kyungsoo glanced at his wrist-watch. "I'm starving. Any recommendation for a good breakfast place?"

Baekhyun still stared at Kyungsoo with mouth wide opened. He still couldn't get over with his shocked state.

"Forget it." Kyungsoo sighed. "I'll just get a dimsum. Jessica, I'm taking this."

"O-oh... Y-yeah..." Jessica nodded in surprise and immediately ushered Ailee to prepare the suit. Kyungsoo turned toward Baekhyun and patted his cousin's head.

"Ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter