Fated

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jonghyun’s POV

After Jung Hye’s stomach’s blatant outburst, I promptly produced the homemade dinner I had packed in my bag. Seriously, could I have made this date any more perfect? (The answer is no, by the way).

While we ate, we watched the Banpo bridge water show. I used to come here all the time with my parents.

‘Dad!’ I call gleefully as I rush over to my dad and wrap my arms around his legs.

‘Hey kiddo,’ he ruffles my hair, ‘hope you haven’t been waiting too long.’

‘Not at all.’ My mum joins us before I can respond, ‘how was work?’ she says as she kisses my dad on his cheek.

I grin and run in between them and interlock my fingers with theirs, ‘Let’s go get a good spot!’ I say as I pull enthusiastically on their hands.

With my mum on one side and my dad on another, I meander my way through the crowds to find the best possible position.

Just before the water show started, I would always turn to tug on my dad’s arm, ‘Dad, I can’t see!!’ I would whine as my lower lip jutting out in a pout.

My mum and dad would always laugh before my dad leaned over to scoop me up and whoosh! I’m in the air, higher than I could ever be. I grin and tilt my face towards the night sky, admiring the millions of stars that twinkled on a black canvas. With my vision filled with bursts of colour and the cool night winds brushing through my hair, it was the best feeling in the world.

‘Jonghyun?’ Jung Hye’s voice snaps me out of my nostalgic daze.

I turn my face towards her, ‘Yeah?’.

Her hair is blowing with the wind and she smiles when I turn to face her, ‘Nothing, you just seemed a bit out of it.’

‘Yeah, I was just thinking about how I used to come here with my family all the time.’

‘Really? My mum and I came here too! Maybe we passed by each other when we were young!’ The reflection of the lights in her eyes makes them look like they are sparkling.  ‘Maybe there’s even a photo of me here with you in the background!’

Back when my mother was still alive, we used to go on family outings a lot. We were like the model family; family outings every weekend, family holidays at least once a year. Our home was decorated by dozens of photos from our trips and we even had those matching family outfits.

Jung Hye continues ‘I actually read that in an article once, it’s like they were fated to be!’

But when my mum was diagnosed with cancer, everything began to change. The family outings ceased as my dad immersed himself with work. The only time I ever saw him was when he took me to visit my mum. But it didn’t matter, no matter how many bills he paid off, the costs for treatment just kept piling up.

I watched my father’s mentality deteriorate alongside my mother’s physical health.

So I didn’t just lose my mum when she died, I lost my dad too. Onew was wrong, we may think that we have all the time in world, but the unfortunate truth is that we don’t.

I can’t treasure Jung Hye.

I can’t give her what she wants or needs.

I can’t spoil her with gifts.

More than anything, I would be a burden to her and she deserved better.

Jung Hye touches my hand, ‘Maybe we are also fated to be together…’ she immediately averts her gaze after this, an endearing sign of embarrassment.

If my parent’s story has taught me anything, it’s this; Love is a two sided coin, for all the good it can provide—happiness, strength, a reason to live, is equally countered by the damage it can do.  

Luckily our relationship had just begun and so, the sooner I end this relationship, the easier it would be for her to move on.

I was making the right decision.

‘Yeah,’ I move my hand away from Jung Hye’s and stand up, ‘maybe we are.’

Jung Hye’s POV

I want punch myself for saying such cheesy words. What was I even thinking? Maybe we are fated to be?! Fated!? Are you feeling okay Jung Hye!? You might as well as have said something like I love you more than the suns and moons and stars combined! You are the light of my world! My love for you is as deep as the ocean and as wide as the sky!

I cringe. Honestly, I must’ve been too caught up in the romantic atmosphere here.

I quickly stand up, ‘Ha ha! Well what a night! I guess we should go home now, I mean, we have to get up early for school tomorrow.’ I say in an attempt to change the subject and pretend that those cringe worthy words had never come out of my mouth.

‘Oh, are you tired? I was planning to go up Seoul Tower as well.’ Jonghyun keeps his eyes on the bridge as he speaks.

He had even more planned?! Boy, Jonghyun must’ve felt really bad for being so busy the last few weeks. ‘It’s okay, I don’t want you to be too tired for tomorrow! Don’t forget that you have a night shift as well. Besides, we can’t cover all of Seoul’s date spots tonight! We have to leave some for other dates! There’s have plenty of time once high school is over you know.’ I say as I fall into step with him.

Jonghyun lets out a small chuckle, ‘Yeah, you’re right…I shouldn’t take up all the date spots.’

“Well…” I begin, and then I open my mouth and pretend to yawn. “I guess I’m getting tired now too, so let’s go home now ok?”

I’m not really tired and to be honest I feel like the night’s still young. My heart is still reeling from the kiss, and blood was pumping rapidly down my veins. I want to keep holding onto Jonghyun’s hand, and I really want to go up to Seoul Tower with him, if only I could make today last longer.

Jonghyun nods to me subtly, an almost-shy smile on his face. His breath leaves his mouth and it looks like a puff of steam as he exhales into the cold outdoor air.

I try to ignore the churning feeling at the bottom of my abdomen. Some part of me was afraid that we would exhaust all the date spots. If there was still Seoul Tower to go to, then at least we would have a promise for me to hang onto.

I steal another glance at Jonghyun again. His eyes are directed to right in front of him, but somehow his gaze seems faraway. That is, until Jonghyun notices that I’ve been looking at him.

“Are you noticing my dashing good looks? Don’t worry, it’s all yours!”

“Euuugh!!!” I start groaning and then pretend to make a puking motion. “Can you stop being so embarrassing?”

He pecks me on the cheek, and we walk home with Jonghyun’s laughter ringing melodiously like music, but I still can’t forget the sight of Jonghyun’s faraway eyes.