Movie Time

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jonghyun’s POV

There’s already quite a crowd by the time Jung Hye and I reach Han River.

‘Wow! What’s this? Is there some kind of an event here today?’

I nod, ‘Yep, apparently there’s an open air cinema.’

Jung Hye’s eyes light up, “Really? Awesome! I’ve always wanted to go to one!’  she says as she enthusiastically drags me through the throngs of people to search for a spot to sit down.

A familiar voices pierces through the buzz of conversation around us, “Jung Hye?!”

‘Oh my gosh, Yoo Mi!?!’ Jung Hye shouts back and begins waving at the approaching figure.

‘Wow, are you also here to—‘ Yoo Mi stops when she notices me, ‘ooohh hi Jonghyun! Are you two on a date? What a coincidence! I’m here with Onew too! You know him right?’

 ‘Hi Yoo Mi, yes, he’s in my physic’s class’ I reply with a forced smile. Jung Hye might have made up with Yoo Mi, but I’m still a bit wary of her after what had happened last year.

But my mild animosity goes unnoticed as Yoo Mi charges on, ‘Well, if you can’t find a spot, there’s a spot near Onew and I!’

Jung Hye seems to sense my unease because she gives me a questioning look.

‘Don’t worry! We won’t bother you two at all!’ Yoo Mi giggles after seeing our hesitation.

I give a shrug, ‘Sure, let’s go.’

As we make our way to where Onew is, Jung Hye and Yoo Mi chat animatedly about some girls birthday party and whether or not rompers (what the heck is that!?) are acceptable as smart casual wear.

Of course since I can’t join into their girl talk, I begin to kick at the ground awkwardly until I see Onew somewhere in front of us amongst a sea of plastic chairs and picnic mats, waving with his arms excitedly.

“Hey!” Onew greets us with a wide grin and then his smile turns sly, “Fancy seeing you guys here. On a date?”

I nod a little, before nudging him playfully. “Hope we didn’t ruin anything fun??”

Onew starts shaking his head profusely as we all begin to sit on their picnic mat, “No not at all!”

I return his sly grin, recognizing how he began to flush. Aha! Something was up! I knew it! Good job, detective Jonghyun aka Sherlock Holmes 2.0.

“So?? How far have you gotten?” I start to inch closer to Onew and although I feel like a mean bully, I also make sure that my voice is low enough so that Yoo Mi and Jung Hye can’t hear us, instead they are still going on with their girl talk.

“Errr…” Onew begins, trying to avoid my eyes. The bully that I am, I begin to inch even closer to him, taunting him.

The next thing he says surprises me. Actually, it doesn’t really surprise me that much because c’mon its Onew, but still in this day and age I was surprised that someone could speak so earnestly and with so much pure intention.

“Well… I really want to treasure her. So I’m not trying to go fast with her or anything. I mean, we’ve got all the time in the world. You understand how I feel, right? You really want to treasure Jung Hye.”

Before I can even work up an answer, I hear some giggling behind me. “Eeeeek!!! Jonghyun and Onew sitting on a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

I instantly pull away from Onew (who I had been in close physical proximity to) only to see Jung Hye and Yoo Mi’s mischievous faces.

“Hey! Are you starting up gay rumours again?” I protest in mock anger at Yoo Mi, and suddenly I realize that I felt not a single shred of anger at her anymore. As if all that pain and drama with Key and being gay had now completely evaporated from my system, all I felt was a calmness, a small peace.

Yoo Mi starts to look away as if nervous, but then shifts her eyes to meet mine which is glazed with earnest apology from all that before, and also an easy playfulness. “Well, I guess I’ll forgive you and if you and Onew both address me with the title Lord Jonghyun and also answer to my beck and call.”

Throughout the movie, I see Jung Hye gasp and cry and laugh at the scenes. I’m not really paying attention though, because I’m part watching Jung Hye and part thinking about Onew’s words.

Is my decision really the right one?