Spirit Animal

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jonghyun POV

‘So, where are we going?’ Jung Hye asks as she walks beside me. She looks really pretty wearing this simple blue summer dress. We’re holding hands as we walk down the crowded streets of Seoul. I’m grateful for the weather, it’s rather breezy, but with the strong rays of sunlight upon us, it’s the perfect temperature.

To be honest, as I was researching places to go on a date in Seoul on the internet, I realized how accurate and well, reasonable, Doctor Park was. I couldn’t afford to take Jung Hye out to any of the recommended high class restaurants or amusement parks and even the movies were bit of a stretch.

Luckily for me, I did find a few places. But it’s not like we could just keep going to the same places over and over again you know? I would never be able to take Jung Hye travelling or anything fanciful like that.

I shake the thoughts out of my head, no, this day was about having fun with Jung Hye, having the perfect date…at least once.

I smile brightly at Jung Hye, ‘It’s a surprise, but don’t worry, I know you’ll love it.’

Jung Hye POV

‘They’re sooooooo cuuteeeee!’ I almost squeal as Jonghyun and I enter a dog café. I have to admit, I was really surprised when he took me here, but I absolutely adore animals. Especially small, cute, fluffy ones like the numerous amounts of puppies here.

‘Hi, welcome to Happy Paws Café! The entrance fee is 6,000 won and comes with a free drink!’ I look over at the counter and see a boy who looks surprisingly young.

I take my wallet out of my bag and smile at the boy, ‘I’ll pay for—‘

‘Hey, what are you doing?!’ Jonghyun holds onto my arm and scowls at me.

Uh oh. ‘Um…paying?’ I reply meekly.

‘Absolutely not, as the GUY I think I should pay for you.’

I sigh, ‘Jonghyun, you really don’t have to…I mean I know how hard it is for you already and this is really nothing.’

For a moment, there’s a look  of what looks like disappointment on his face but before I can put my finger on it, it’s replaced with a pleading look, ‘Come on Jung Hye, just let me do this for you please?’

The resemblance between him and the cute little puppy dogs in the cage is almost uncanny.

I guess this was some sort of a male ego thing for him, oh well, I guess I can ask the manager at the café he works at to give him a bonus for one week or something.

I shrug and offer him a smile, ‘Alright, thanks then.’ As Jonghyun shoots a proud smile and takes out his wallet to pay.

The boy behind the counter is giving us an amused look, I wonder if he goes to our school? Maybe he’s in one of the younger grade… I lean over and glance at his name tag which reads Luhan. Hmm…doesn’t sound like a Korean name.

I hear Jonghyun clear his throat beside me, ‘Jung Hye?’ he says with a strained voice.

I turn towards him and I see that Jonghyun has not only entered into the area in the café where the dogs are allowed, but also that a ring of about three or four puppies were already surrounding him, scratching his jeans with their little paws and softly whimpering.

Of course in the middle of it all was poor helpless Jonghyun, who wore a troubled expression, not sure if he should continue to walk or to pet them.

I start laughing because who knew that Jonghyun, and I mean Kim I’m-so-muscular-and-buff-and-bad-boy Jonghyun would be so well liked with all the cute fluffy puppies?

“Wow you’re Mr Popular,” I shake my head in disdain as I enter in as well. I can't believe the puppies are attracted to Jonghyun. Are they all girl puppies? Does Jonghyun emit pheromones that not only mesmerise females of the human race but also the dog race? Or does he just smell like dog food? Maybe he was a puppy in his past life and all the puppies were just connecting to Jonghyun's inner spirit animal. In any case, it was unacceptable that no puppies were coming over to me, aka the obviously cuter one out of the both of us. Puppies, come to me!!!

Unlike Jonghyun, a horde of puppies do not come my way and grab onto me as I had hoped. Instead, it seems that even more puppies began to crowd around Jonghyun.

Jonghyun looks at my crestfallen face and notices the lack of attention I was getting compared to his crowd of fanpuppies. He laughs immediately, mirth spreading across his face and for a moment I’m almost lost in his charming laugh, until I remember that he’s laughing at me.

“Geez! You probably reek of dog food, that’s why they’re around you.”

Jonghyun smirks playfully, the smirk he always does when he’s up to mischief. Surely enough, the next moment he pulls me closer by the shoulders and he brings his face closer to mine, until I can see my reflection in his dark pupils. The puppies are still whimpering and softly barking beneath us, and some tails brush against my leg.

“Would you still kiss me even if I do?” He speaks softly, almost whispering, and I feel his hot breath on my cheek. Instantly I feel blood rising up to my face. With my cheeks flushed beet red, I turn my head and push him away, too embarrassed to meet his eyes.

Luhan amusedly guides us to our table, where a trail of puppies follow Jonghyun. Then I realize that it almost resembles a puppy tribe, with Jonghyun as the king.

Luhan seats us, and gives us the menus. Jonghyun doesn’t notice, instead opting to pet the puppies that bark at his feet. No wonder, Jonghyun looks like he fits right in.