Different

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jung Hye POV

Jonghyun actually needs makeup done?! I thought incredulously as I watched Jonghyun get pulled to a secret room.

Ooooh.

A secret room.

Jonghyun.

And a girl.

A girl who isn’t me – WAIT, WHAT AM I THINKING?! I quickly dismissed the thought by giving myself a quick pinch on the arm. Which hurt.

“Ow!” I cried at the small jerk of pain, and instead tried to humour myself with the idea that Jonghyun was getting makeup. Suddenly, a horrific image of Jonghyun in a blonde wig with lipstick, heavy eyeliner and cake foundation, carrying a Prada bag and-

“Dammit Jonghyun!” I curse, to myself and try to stuff that image of Jonghyun in a bag and throw it out the window. It works when Kenny comes back with a trolley of hair styling tools. I gasp in awe. “You’re putting all these things in my hair?!”

He shrugs. “You’re at a hair and beauty salon for your prom. Nothing’s too extravagant.”

I looked at Kenny through the mirror, who was suspiciously giving me a smirk, as he ran his fingers through my hair.

His smirk was creepy. It was starting to make me think that he was thinking something about me that I had no idea about. “Umm... is anything a problem?” I asked, rhetorically.

“Heh.” He started chuckling. “You love him, don’t you?”

As the words leave his lips, a derpy image of Jonghyun pops in my mind. He is eating all the chicken and filters out the cabbage that I put into his bowl. He chews with his mouth open and a piece falls out from his mouth.

And then I realise, the full weight of Kenny’s words.

“N-no.” I stutter, lost and grabbing at the arm of my chair.

He laughs, softly. Mocking me. “I didn’t mention any names, you know.”

My eyes widen, as I realise what he’s done. I gather myself and say, “Well – of course I thought you meant Jonghyun, because he was here with us a moment ago-“

“Did I?” he twirls a strand of my hair around his finger.

“Huh?” I asked, clueless, and realization of the bigger picture dawned on me. “Oh.... OH.”

 “I didn’t mention anyone,” he says, with a satisfied smile. “I didn’t need to know who was involved in your life. But, when I said that, someone popped in your mind, right? Someone special! Who you love, right?” ending it with a sunny smile.

And it’s true. It worked. I had inadvertently given him Jonghyun’s name.

Wait.

Why did I think of Jonghyun?

Kenny thinks I love him?

He thinks I love Jonghyun?

Does Kenny have a problem or something to see how idiotic Jonghyun is?

Jonghyun, that idiot?

That idiot who gets lead into a room alone with some random stranger girl so she can put her hands all over his face?

Instantly, I feel guilty for thinking that, but it seems as if I hadn’t been thinking right all along.

“I don’t love him. No.” I say, trying to be as calm as I can, words all spaced at all the right times. How could I possibly love him? I imagine the first time I saw Jonghyun in the elevators, acting all high and mighty with that cocky attitude of his, wheeling his suitcase. Not joining me in friendly conversation that I initiated. How annoying he was. How much I disliked him, seeing his face in the first day back at school.

Kenny starts to move his fingers to my face, and I smell his scent – too much of gel, mixtures of shampoo and the factory smell of makeup.

“Really? How about now?” he asks, voice as playful and bouncy as ever.

Now? I imagine the Jonghyun who plays car racing games and pumps his fists when he wins, the Jonghyun who sings in his sleep and plays peaceful melodies that act as a sort of a lullaby, the Jonghyun who cooks and adds in extra pepper to my fish, the Jonghyun who never misses a KFC store, the Jonghyun who comes back from the gym as I hand him a water bottle from the fridge and he downs it in the matter of a few minutes, the Jonghyun who protects...

Jonghyun POV

Jenny lets go of me once the last beat of 8 stops. She has an accomplished teacher smile in her face as she sighs in relief. “Finally. You’ve finally got the basic steps down.”

I smile back sheepishly, a bit taken aback by her smile.

“You took an hour to get these right.”

“... Sorry.” I say. I don’t say more, because my smile drops and I’m expecting a forehead flick from her, because that was what I had been getting for the past hour whenever I got something wrong or pissed her off. And I see her hand travel up to my forehead.

Oh no. Jenny is pissed.

But instead, she pats it and smiles. “You’ve done well.”

“What?! I’ve finished already?!” I ask in disbelief. I was expecting to learn cooler moves! Not just... stepping.

She shrugs. “Kenny’s fast.”

“Oh, does this mean Jung Hye is... done?”

“Yeah. Remember to sing,” she says as the door opens and I get distracted from Jenny.

And a familiar figure comes in. No, it’s not familiar. It’s different. It’s breathtaking.

She comes in; steps in meekly when she notices me. She’s in that same dress, but she’s glowing. Her eyes are more defined, bigger, lined. I see a hint of blue and silver glitter as she blinks. A few loose strands of hair frame her face. One side of her hair is pinned up into a bun, crafted to look like a rose, the rest of it is swept sideways gathering in stronger curls on the other side.

is slightly open and she has the same surprised look that I have, but when I hear the soft lock of the door, I notice that there’s nobody else in the room but her and I.

 “I... totally expected you with really gaudy get-up, you know. With the makeup and all.” She says with a sharp edge, breaking the ice.

I roll my eyes. “Am I not already fabulous enough?” I mimic Key’s tone and we burst into laughter.

 Jung Hye POV

“Oh my gosh did we just get locked in?” I start as I glance at the closed door.

Jonghyun shrugs, starting to kick the wooden floor casually. “Guess so.”

I walk towards and my suspicions are confirmed, because the door knob won’t turn. Distressed, I started banging on the door. No reply.

Kenny lied to me! He said we were going to prank Jonghyun – but did he tell me I was also going to be pranked? Oh no, he didn’t!

“Stop banging! You sound like a crazy woman.” Jonghyun comments, and I turn to glare at him, but I hadn’t noticed that he had already moved so close to me. He’s only centimeters away, as he gently pulls my hand from the knob.

For the first time, I realize how his fingers feel against mine. They feel rough, calloused and dry, I can feel the heat radiating from his hand, sending warm tingles through my body.

I’m staring down at my fingers intertwined in his, wondering what in the world was going on, when the lights suddenly turn off.

“What?” I breathed out, eyes blinking rapidly to adjust to the sudden lack of light.

Jonghyun’s grip tightened reassuringly around mine, “It’s alright, just a black out.”

“What do we do?” I ask as I find myself leaning closer to him.

He doesn’t reply and instead slowly, he leads me on to the middle of the room, then as if on cue, the room slowly lights up until the room is just dimly lit, giving off an almost romantic feel.

 Looking around, I realise Jonghyun and I are standing in the middle of a dance floor.

“What the...?” I asked, confused as I hear the first few notes of music begin playing.

Jonghyun smiles and takes hold of my other hand in his, “Dance with me.” He says, soothing.

Incapable of saying anything, I nod.

With the way we happen to step in sync with each other and the sound of the gentle melodic music flowing through the room, everything just feels so right.

 Gazing up at Jonghyun, I find my mind drifting back to my conversation with Kenny. My eyes drift from the top of his ridiculously outrageous dyed brown to blond gradient hair (which he manages to pull off remarkably well), to his twinkling eyes, those brown orbs which I can just feel myself drowning into (who said brown was a boring colour?) down to his lips which were spread in a dorky child-like grin (the very grin which I loved to hate).

Out those lips poured a sweet, sweet voice, “Jung Hye, you’re beautiful.”

It’s very well the room is dimly lit because at those words I can just feel the tips of my cheeks heat up and I’m not even sure I heard right because Jonghyun never compliments me and maybe I’m just imagining things I want to hear.

Then again, maybe not.

Because, the way he holds my hands softly, caressing them and making me feel safe, the way he moves with the music momentum, it’s all too real. It’s all in front of me.

He sings along with the calm song with his voice, the voice that I can listen to all day long. And we move, calmly, with the beat. I’ve never been like this with Jonghyun before. We’ve always been joking, shouting, teasing, having fun with each other. Having fun and getting lost in it without realizing what the rest of the world holds. This is different, but the same at the same time. There’s the music, his voice, the dance, the light, us and... the calm atmosphere.

It’s different.

I know it’s different, as Jonghyun caresses my cheek. I lift my hand up and put it on his, grabbing it ever so gently but following with his movements.

“Jonghyun..." I whisper. "Jonghyun." There are no extra words to say. We only meet eyes, and Jonghyun's lips lift, ever so slightly, as he snakes an arm around my waist and we pull in closer.

When our lips touch, something explodes inside my heart. Something that tells me - this - this was what I've been looking for.


A/N Hey guys, hope you all had a Merry Christmas!  Deestar will be going overseas tomorrow ^^ And dinomyte will be going in about another week ...so unfortunately there won't be as much updates >.<" We will try to write on our plane trips and stuff but yeah, it will be hard for us to communicate with each other and find the time to actually post it up here on AFF ^^" 

But more excitedly, we are both going to Korea!! :D So excited :3 Anyways, once again thanks for reading and supporting <3 you guys!