Getting Ready

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

 

Jonghyun’s POV

I heard Jung Hye give a startled gasp as she read over my shoulder, “What?! Why?! WHY WOULD HE DO THAT!?”

I blinked and reread the note.

Yep, it definitely said what I had first thought it said.

Yep, Key had just managed to take all our belongings without us realising.

Yep, we have just been set up.

Jung Hye walked out of the change rooms empty handed, “Oh my gosh, he took our bags as well! We can’t even buy anything or call anyone!”

Yep, Key was a sneaky bastard.  But hey, who’s complaining? “Well, I suppose we must go to the shoe shop then.” I shrugged my shoulders in an attempt to act nonchalant.

“What? Go to the shop?” Jung Hye repeated with an incredulous look on her face, “you want us to go?”

I nod yes.

“Oh..” A look of confusion flashed across her face but it was quickly gone and replaced with a smile, “well we better hurry then!”

Yay!

Jung Hye’s POV

I cannot believe I am doing this.

Why am I even doing this.

What am I even doing,

In the future when I have kids and they are complaining about how much their life or telling me some sob story of being embarrassed, I will tell them about this moment and then they will feel better about themselves.

And laugh at me.

Because honestly, I can definitely put this moment right at the top of the list of Embarrassing Moments of Park Jung Hye’s Life. Accidently walking into the male’s restroom is nothing compared to this. Mistaking a boy for a girl? Snoring in class? Voice cracking on stage? Oh what trivial matters compared to this!

No, I am not exaggerating. Seriously, imagine walking through a crowded shopping centre, wearing a dress. Not just any dress, oh no, an elaborately decorated dress with sequins and lace and beads and layers of fabric. Now on top of that, I have hair that obviously has not been brushed, oh and did I mention I also happened to have no shoes?  

Oh my gosh can I just dig myself a hole in a ground and hide there forever?

Everyone we walked past has done one of the following:

1. Stared.
2. Stopped.
3. Whispered to whoever they were with.
4. Smiled in amusement or smiled fondly (mostly the older generation)
5. Pointed.
6. All of the above.

Which was understandable since we obviously stood out like two pineapples in a peapod!

I could just feel my cheeks becoming red as heads continued to turn in our direction and I have tried to pick up my pace, except I had Jonghyun in front of me who seemed to be completely unfazed by this whole event. In fact, he looked almost chuffed at himself as he ambled down the mall with a grin on his face.

Wordlessly, I linked my arm into his and dragged him through the crowds. I kept my head down and avoided eye contact  with everyone else. It’s okay Jung Hye, only a few more minutes of this, okay let’s think of a revenge plan on Key, what will-

“Jung Hye!!” I turned around only to find that somehow Jonghyun had slipped out of my grip and was standing underneath a sign which read Hibiscus Shoes.

We're here! Oh thank goodness.

Jonghyun’s POV

“Oh! You must be Key’s friends!” A loud bubbly voice greeted us as I found myself looking down at a girl in her early twenties who I assumed to be Shin Hee, she wore a floral summer dress and had her hair gathered up in a bun.

“U-“

“My, my! He’s right! You guys look absolutely perfect together!” She interrupted, gently pushing Jung Hye and I side by side and giving a nod of approval.

“Wow, your shop is beautiful!” Jung Hye, who had obviously not been listening to what Shin Hee had just said, complimented, gazing around at her surroundings .

Oh I never knew KFC man was into pretty, sparkly things.

Shin Hee smiled proudly, “Thank you! Now, you two, follow me, I’ll show you the pair of shoes Key had chosen specifically for you.” She grinned at Jung Hye and her heels, walking towards the back of the store. 

Jung Hye turned to me excitedly, “Isn’t Key so cool!?” she blabbered before eagerly following Shin Hee.

I gaped at her back. What? Key? Cool? Had Jung Hye just exclaimed that Key was cool? Jung Hye, the person we had just been muttering death threats a few minutes ago??

I shook my head in amazement as I followed Jung Hye and Shin Hee. Guess I know what I will be buying Jung Hye the next time she’s mad at me!

When we reach the counter, I can just see Jung Hye bubbling with excitement as she watches Shin Hee carry out two shoeboxes towards us.

"Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed, "the boxes are beautiful!" 

They were two plain cardboard boxes. I frown at Jung Hye, I am seriously doubting her sanity at the moment. Maybe there's too many pretty things in this room and her mind can't handle it. 

But Shin Hee doesn't say anything as she set the boxes on the table and shoves the top on towards me, “Those are yours, nothing special.” And they weren’t, they were just a pair of normal black dress shoes.

 But for Jung Hye’s shoes, Shin Hee slowly (oh typical drama queen, just like Key!) lifts up the lid. 

I hear Jung Hye draw a breath, her eyes focused intently on the shoes. They were a pair of shiny pearlescent sky blue flats  with a lace trim around the edges and sequins sewn along the front. It was almost unbelievable how well they seemed to match with the dress Jung Hye was wearing.

"Wait - what?! Jung Hye gets such an amazing pair of shoes and I-" I glanced towards my plain dress shoes, because there was nothing else needed to be said.

Shin Hee giggled. "Men are supposed to dress minimalist. What did you want - peacock feather shoes?"

I pouted and looked away. She had a point.

"They're so nice..." Jung Hye  whispered as she reached out to touch her own pair.

Shin Hee let out a breath of relief, "Really? I'm so glad you like them! I was insisting that you should wear some heels since it is the prom and there was a perfect pair but Key said…” at this point Shin Hee trailed off and guiltily glanced in my direction. 

"But?" Jung Hye echoed.

"Um...well.." she hesitated as she shot another glance at me.

Oh no. This was not good. I knew whatever Key said, would be something that I don't want to hear.

"...well, he said that it would totally disastrous if the girl ended up taller than the guy." 

Silence as the words settled into Jung Hye's mind, any minute now, she would -

"HA HA HA HA HA!" Jung Hye cracked up, "HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHA!"

"WELL- There's a small heel for foot support!" Shin Hee added enthusiastically.

"OH KEY! OH CAN HE JUST BE MY BEST FRIEND OR SOMETHING OH MY HAHAHA!" 

I narrowed my eyes at her. "FUNNY!" 

"HAHAHA YES SO FUNNY! YOU SHORTIE HAHAHA!" 

I pouted. Why. Why. WHY IS EVERYONE AGAINST ME AND MY HEIGHT!? WHY IS EVERYONE SUCH A HEIGHTIST? Discrimination against heights, I tell you, this has been evident since I was not allowed to go on most roller coasters as a child. 

 Jung Hye had finally stopped laughing and instead settled for patting my head, “There, there. it's okay, I'm not used to wearing heels anyways!"

Shin Hee claps her hands together, "Naw, you guys! So cute~"  I wait for Jung Hye to immediately deny it, but she just laughs and playfully pushes my head away, “That’s right, cute little Jonghyun! Like a teeny weeny cutesy puppy~” she giggles to herself, and suddenly I get reminded of that one time when I had to be totally and overly cheesy to her.

After trying on the shoes (involving more ecstatic proclamations on how well the shoes fit and how nice they felt and how totally awesome Key is), Shin Hee gave us Key’s next set of instructions. It was a piece of paper, folded neatly into Key style.

I dreaded unfolding and reading what he had given us next, but we just had to all the same.

Shin Hee has been a help, hasn't she?
The shoes have been taken care of, so
you can do your hair and make up now. 

Clue: It's in this shopping centre.

Walk fast. If you don't, you'll lose time.

Key.

"What." I stared at the piece of paper in disbelief. "Make Up?! Hair?!" I don't need make up! And what was he going to possibly do for my hair? Please, don't dye it rainbow like he did for himself once upon a time...

"Key... is there a mistake?" Jung Hye asked, looking all around for the paper. "He didn't even mention the name of the hair salon."

"If there is one." I added boredly. Honestly, what was Key getting at?

Shin Hee smiled to us. "Well. It's easy! Just think. It's in the shopping centre. How many hair salons are in the shopping centre?"

"Oh!" Jung Hye snapped her fingers, with a large grin on her face. "Does that mean there's only one?!"

Shin Hee started packing up the empty shoe boxes into pretty reusable bags and smiled. "Go look. There's a centre directory at the right once you exit this shop." She gave the bags to me as Jung Hye smiled even brighter (how is that possible?) and dragged my arm along and out.

"THANK YOU SO MUCH SHIN HEE! I'LL DEFINITELY COME AGAIN AFTER THE PROM!" Jung Hye shouted as we ran out, and I held my hands up for a small wave and an appreciating smile.

Shin Hee smiled back kindly, as the next thing I saw was a blur of shops and then being stopped right in front of the centre directory. 

"Hair, hair, hair..." Jung Hye chanted as her eyes searched the directory, "aha! Kim's Hair and Beauty Salon!  Let's go!" and before I had even managed to catch my breath, I was dragged by Jung Hye again and in a flash, we were standing inside the salon with two people (Key's friends most likely) scrunitising us.

"So, Jenny..." one of them started, with his eyebrow raised and looking at us while talking to the other person, probably called Jenny. "Yay or nay?"

The girl, who looked just like the boy, only a girl version of him, scrunched up her face. "Do you even have to ask?! They're not made up at all - definitely nay!"

"No, idiot, I mean their dress up -" The boy retorted.

"Gosh, your fault that you weren't clear. This is a hair and make up salon for Pete's sake! Why can't you get anything right?"

"Excuse me?! Who was the one who bought the wrong brand of-"

The twins had started to argue with each other, their attention on us previously having been shifted to each other.

"Ummm..." I started as their arguing became progressively louder。I gathered all my breath, "EXCUSE ME! COULD YOU HELP US OUT?!" 

Instantly, they both turned to look at me, before breaking into customer smiles.

"Hi." the boy said, giving out his hands to shake, which I did but rather awkwardly. "I'm Kenny Kim."

"And I'm Jenny Kim." The girl smiled. They were both in their early twenties.

"And we're twins." said Kenny. "Not that I wanted to be born this way."

"Brat, you think I did?! You never-" Jenny said, starting to get riled up again.

"UMMMM. DO YOU GUYS KNOW KEY?" Jung Hye interrupted, obviously also getting a little annoyed by the twins' constant arguing with each other. Which, I admit, I had never seen such... a unique sibling rivalry.

They both turned to her. Jenny raised her eyebrow. "Do you even need to ask? That's why you guys are here. Come in, and let's get settled."

We were quickly brought into the salon and seated onto red, plush chairs. The interior walls were black, with many accessories hung up. The mirror in which I was looking at myself was huge and framed.

Instantly, Kenny had stood up behind me and Jenny, behind Jung Hye, and they both started prepping our hair.

"So, I heard you guys are going to your prom?" Jenny asked. "I remember back in my prom... it was totally amazing. People dressed as birds and their makeup was wonderful, they liked to-"

"Shut up Jenny. It's their prom. Not yours." Kenny grunted.

Jenny rolled her eyes, as Jung Hye started to speak. "Uhhh. Yeah! Do I get to decide what prom hair I want, or is it Key's choice?"

"Honey, it's my choice. It's not prom hair, it's Kim's hair." he smirked, as if that explained everything. Jung Hye still looked at him, clueless as he started to clip hair to the back and braid a strand. "Don't worry. You'll look amazing."

"So, uhh..." I looked back at Jenny, who was standing and doing nothing. "Do I really need my hair done?"

"Yep."

After deep thought, Jenny started to comb my hair.

Please don't give me a combover, I prayed.

She dipped her fingers in some hair gel and made my hair up a bit, before smiling to herself. "Done. Do you like it?"

"Jenny... nothing changed." I commented, looking at it incredulously, while looking at Jung Hye next to me, who seemed to be in deep conversation while she was getting her hair curled. I turned away.

"What, so you want to change your lasagna hair?" She chuckled at her own joke (I DO NOT HAVE LASAGNA HAIR, it's just blonde with brown roots, that's all! I mean, isn't that so stylish?) "Honestly, your hair just needs to stay that way, so I've put gel. I don't think you want a combover. Now we just need to do your makeup!"

Beside me, Jung Hye sniggered. 

"What?" 

She grabbed hold of my elbow and pull me up, "Come on, we don't have all day!"

"I'M NOT WEARING MAKEUP!" Why, WHY, WHY!? IF ANYONE SAW ME IN MAKEUP I WILL BE SO DEVASTATED AND MY MANLY PRIDE WILL BE SHATTERED FOR LIFE!

Jenny dragged me to a separate, smaller room and closed the door, "Shh! I'm not really going to put makeup on you!"

I stopped struggling, "What? You're not? Then what are we doing here?" because you know, isn't it kind of wierd havng a girl drag you into an empty room... 

"Well, my friend, " She settled her hands on her hips, "today, you will learn how to dance." 

I stare blankly back at her, "What?"

"Stop saying that! You heard me right, Key gave me strict instructions to teach you how to properly dance at a prom, because according to him, you are the most uncoordinated person he knows and every time you dance he feels like he should defriend you."

Have I ever mentioned how much Key ?
 


A/N Hope you enjoyed that chapter :D And don't worry, we haven't forgotten about Taemin! There will soon be a chapter dedicated to him ^^