The Headline

30days with Yi Fan
THE HEADLINE
 
Kris Wu Fan. Kris Wu Fan. Kris Wu Fan.
 
​Alex can’t seem to stop repeating the name in her head. She just bumped into Kris Wu Yi Fan! She didn’t notice the taxi stopped and the driver’s now looking at her, waiting for the payment and probably wondering why a beautiful lady looks odd at such an early hour. “Miss, are you okay?”
 
​Alex shook her head instantly, as if doing so would push all the thoughts away. “Yes, yes, I’m fine. I’m fine,” the reply itself sounded not okay. Alex searched through her wallet and handed the money to the driver. The driver offered help in carrying her bags but Alex suddenly feels embarrassed trying to visualize how she may have looked like to the driver’s eyes a few moments ago so she said no. It feels good to finally be back to her apartment.
 
​The weird thing was the fact that standing right on the doorstep, she heard sounds coming from the TV and…Wait, the TV’s on!? She immediately got her keys and before she can even fit it into the keyhole, the door opened only to reveal…
 
​“Cheska!” Alex let out a sigh of relief. “You scared me to death! I thought there’s a thief—
 
​“A thief? At 9:35 in the morning?” Cheska said mockingly. Alex was about to protest but Cheska cut her off again, “Oh my God! Alex, you’re back! Group hug!” and that’s when Alex gets all squeezed and can hardly breathe because of her friend’s tight embrace. Trust Cheska to call it a group hug when they’re only two. Alex rolls her eyes. Yes, that’s her friend Cheska; always brighter than the brightest sun you’ve ever seen in your whole life.
 
​“Hey—cool down, okay, get off, hands off, Cheska!” Alex managed to pull herself away, showing Cheska her surrendered hands. “Can we at least talk inside? I want to sit,” she can feel the jetlag coming in and she still has things to narrate and share with Cheska. That’s it. She remembers it all over again. The flashbacks occupy her mind and Alex thought it was the sweetest flight hang-over that she ever got.
 
Kris Wu Fan. Alex has always been a fan of the singer. She wasn’t just a fan but an avid one. She’s been one even before she met Clint and Clint met her. Ever since Kris started his singing career, Alex was already one of too many people who’d buy his albums, listen to his songs all day, search for him on the internet, and spend the rest of her time fantasizing about him. But Alex never got a chance of meeting him because every time Kris has a fan signing event or an album launch or a concert, Alex seems to be running to the subway, making her way out the crowd, and trying to find a job. That was a year ago. That year was full of video tapes. Cheska and Alex would plan of having a movie marathon at her apartment, with popcorn and animal headbands, but end up watching Kris concert DVDs and music videos. Cheska would then grab a digicam and film Alex while she scream and jump like how die-hard fans do. Cheska would ask What would you do when you finally meet Kris Wu Fan? and Alex would confidently face the camera and answer in a giggly way.
 
What would you do when you finally meet Kris Wu Fan? Uhm, oh my God! I don’t know! Maybe I’d run into him and hug him and tell him he’s so handsome and I love all his songs and…Oh my God, I’m going to get crazy and he’ll get scared because I’m being such a freak and then I’ll ask for a picture…!
 
​What would you do when you finally meet Kris Wu Fan? Okay, I will try to calm myself. I’d approach him in a nice way and I will smile at him. And when I greet him, he’d smile back at me and I’d tell him how awesome he is plus his beautiful voice and we’d shake hands and take pictures and…before I go, I’d bow to him again and when I’m already out of his sight…oh my God, I’d scream yeah! I met Kris Wu Fan! I’m so happy!
 
What would you do when you finally meet Kris Wu Fan? Maybe I’d just stay rooted on the spot because he’s so good-looking and maybe I wouldn’t be able to move because I’m completely star struck and speechless. And when he’s no longer in front of me, I’d regret it because I didn’t say a single word and he didn’t know how much I love him and his songs.
 
​There were a lot more. Alex went through all flashbacks in her head. So, what happened at the airport a while ago…her third answer just came real, right? Those were the years. Years before Alex became busy with her modelling career and blossoming relationship with Clint. Years when Cheska would laugh at every silly word she says and swear to the heavens that Alex was the weirdest fan in the planet. Years when they both would sit down and watch those videos and laugh at the absurdity of it all. Years when Alex would keep talking about how Kris looked shy in one of his interviews and confident in the other. She supported him to the extremes. And Cheska witnessed everything without fail.
 
​“Alex, are you with me?” Cheska’s in front of the mirror dressed in the skirt that Alex bought for her. “I said, what do you think? Does it fit well?”
 
​It does. Cheska always looks good in almost everything. Even if it were a rugged shirt or holed pants, Cheska would look good on it. Alex adores that about her friend. Cheska is neither fat nor slim. Her body has its gorgeous curve and even if she’s three inches shorter than Alex, she looks just as tall because of those fine legs. But Cheska isn’t a model, she’s a Medicine intern. “It looks good on you.”
 
​“Are you sure? You look bothered,” Cheska commented. “No, bothered is not the right word for it. You look…hypnotized, actually.”
 
Alex almost laughs at her friend’s scrutiny. She was just about to tell Cheska about what happened at the airport but Cheska suddenly went to the kitchen only to return with a newspaper on hand. “Your hypnotized face reminded me of this. That’s the headline yesterday.”
 
​It was from the entertainment section of the newspaper. It only took seconds for Alex to read the headline and see the picture underneath it. Cheska was expecting a violent reaction or a hardcore scream. But Alex remained quiet.
​She wasn’t. Inside, she was screaming with the loudest pitch she can manage. Inside, Alex was sure that if she was in the middle of a jam-packed concert her scream will still be heard despite the chaos. Because how come something memorable as meeting Kris in the airport just that morning get ruined with one newspaper headline?! Alex wanted to slap a face. Yes, she is twenty-four. Yes, she is that y model everyone’s so proud of. Yes, she is in a relationship. But damn it all, she is still a Kris Wu Fan fanatic! And she would not ever believe an article and a picture that says:
 
'Kris Wu Yi Fan- GAY?'