Day 27: Kris Wu Yi Fan

30days with Yi Fan

Day 27: Kris Wu Yi Fan

December 23rd. 

Sehun arrived earlier than expected. With the Christmas season coming, Seoul is covered in snow. Alex wore double sweatshirts and the moment she stepped out of the apartment, Sehun was standing beside a silver Toyota.

'Goodmorning Alex!' Sehun's hair was dyed to bubble pink. The rainbow colors were gone. He looks taller than the last time Alex saw him. She can only focus to the car though.

'Goodmorning,' she said. Why does Kris's friends own expensive cars? Are they all rich? 'Is this your-'

'Yes,' Sehun answered before she can even finish asking. He showed her a shy smile. 'Didn't think I have a car, did you? I'm not a full-time driver of Kris. I drive my own too, Ms. Dawson.' 

Alex felt embarrassed. She didn't think Sehun has a car but not because she thought he's poor and was just working for Kris. He didn't have to call her Ms. Dawson. 'I told you no Ms. Dawsons and Ma'ams. I haven't forgotten that.' It was that day Sehun drove Alex to Kris's fansigning event at Byuyeong Plaza; she told him to stop being so formal with her.

Being the gentleman that he is, Sehun opened the passenger door for Alex. He the heater and reminded Alex to put on her seatbelt. Compared to Kris, Sehun drives smoothly. Maybe Kris has always been for fire.

 

'Alex, I can't accompany you upto the doorstep. I have to be somewhere,' Sehun said after dropping off Alex to Kris's place. It's an up and down house with a large garden and black metal gates. From the outside, Alex can make out a huge balcony from one of the doors on the second floor and an attic. 

Alex looked back to her forgotten companion. 'It's okay, Sehun. Thank you so much.'

'Anytime,' Sehun smiled. It was good hearing that word from him. As if to before leaving, Sehun adds, 'Miss Dawson'.

Alex waited for Sehun and his Toyota to disappear in view before walking towards the gate. She sighs, letting go of her nervousness. She doesn't know what to say to her fake boyfriend. Is Kris going to be happy to see her? Alex pressed the buzzer.

In a house as big as this, Alex knew there'll be guards and maids inside. Maybe they'll be the ones to open the gates and let her in. If they ever get permission to. Alex waits.

She saw shadows of feet from behind the gate and knew that someone's finally opening it up. The gate opened and Alex wasn't greeted by a man in security uniform or a woman in maid's. 

It's Kris. Kris opened the door for her. His eyes look pale and sad but he was absolutely surprised to see it's Alex he has for visitor. Their gazes meet and Alex saw the unusually untidy hair, the single piercing in his ear, the plain V-neck shirt, and the dark green and white jersey shorts he's wearing. At that instance, Alex lost whatever words there are to say. So did Kris. She placed her arms around his shoulders and positioned herself fit for his embrace. She missed the damn singer. She almost felt like running into a long lost best friend.

'I'm sorry about your Dad,' Alex whispered. Then she realized it was all she needed to say. She can't get mad at him and ask him why he didn't call her. She can't hate him for not showing himself in her apartment for an entire week. All she wants is to just be there, the way that he has been. They are now more than just the fan and the idol.

 

Kris lets Alex in. The BMW was in the garage. There's a swing by the garden and a small fish pond. When Alex stepped into the house, the tiled floors were glistening. The walls are white with brown-orange paint along the bottom borders. All lights are chandeliers; the ones you can adjust to your desired dim. There's a long brown stairwell to the side. 

Alex can't picture only one man in a place like this. 'You're alone?' 

Kris nods. 'Mom went to a friend.'

He led Alex to the kitchen. It's only twenty minutes pass nine. Alex tries to ignore the big house and focus on Kris. 'How is she?'

Kris is avoiding her eyes, trying to look for something in the freezer. 'She's...okay, I guess.' Placing the bacons on the sink, he asks, 'Have you eaten?'

He definitely lost some weight. Alex can't help but notice how disturbing he looks. This was the first time he was not at his best. Alex asked back the question, 'Have you? Kris, you look different.'

Kris let out a short laugh. 'Good different or bad different?'

'Awful!' Alex exclaimed. Realizing that she doesn't want him to bother too much about an unexpected guest, she got to his side and took the frying pan from his hand. 'Here, let me do that. I'll cook you something to eat.'

Kris allowed her. He stood there watching her prepare breakfast. Wasn't it only yesterday when she was sick and he did the same thing for her? Alex knows he isn't allergic to anything because they've once talked about the foods they like. She made him crab soup, toasted bread, fried bacons in sour onion dips, and alkaline coffee. 

'Your boyfriend must be really good,' Kris said after they've set everything on the dining table. Alex understood what he meant by that comment. 

'He is. I learned this from Flix though.' She tried a smile. Instead of sitting across from him, Alex sat on the chair beside Kris's; apron still on. 'Eat.' It's her turn to be the one who says that.

Alex was thankful for Kris's good appetite. He seems really hungry. 'Don't you have security guards and maids?' 

'I do, including chefs and gardeners. They'll be back by tomorrow. Mom and I asked for a three-day privacy.' Alex can't make sense out of that. Don't they need them more at times like these?

'D.O. told me you asked Greg for two weeks off.' 

She thought Kris would begin with his explanation for the one week no-appearance treatment but he said, 'D.O.?'

'Yeah, uhm, I tried getting into G's Ent building last night. The guard isn't so nice,' Alex stressed, remembering how D.O. came to the rescue. 

Kris smiled. 'They don't let you in without an ID.'

Alex protests, 'They didn't ask for yours when you brought me there last time!'

'They don't need an ID to know me,' Kris boasted.

'Right, you're the absolutely one hundred percent famous Mr. Kris Wu Yi Fan.' Alex slapped the hand towel on his shoulder. It really is good seeing him again.

 

After cleaning and washing the dishes, Kris and Alex walked up to a door in the second floor. It leads to the rooftop. 

'Welcome to the rooftop!' Kris beams as hard as he can. He said the same line when he showed Alex his studio in G's Entertainment. 

They're not literally on the roof but in a small terrace that reveals all of the neighborhood. And a small part of snowy Seoul. Kris heads to sit on a ledge. He took Alex hands to help her sit down too. 'Don't worry, it's not dangerous. Whenever I want to forget about fame, I go home and sit here for hours.' When he said home he means this very place, not the hotel or the renovated condominium. 

'Kris Wu Yi Fan has a sentimental side, huh?' Alex teased.

Kris looks much better now, compared to how he was hours ago. His usual smile was back. He changed the subject. 'Lexy is back in Europe.'

Clearly, Alex has no idea where the conversation's going but she rides on anyway. 'She must really have liked it there. Did you say goodbye to her?'

'I actually drove her to the airport.' He stopped from there. 

Alex had to ask. 'Kris? How come...I mean I know that what Lexy did to you was wrong but- I can see that she still loves you. Don't you feel the same for her? There's this thing called second chance, you know?'

Kris only exhales then he looks at her. Next moment he says, 'I'm already in love with someone else.' 

Alex doesn't know what it is but she suddenly feels uneasy. She didn't expect Kris to say that. She was not aware of his new love interest. Who is it?

When she remained quiet, Kris nagged him softly on the elbow. 'Aren't you going to ask who the lucky girl is?' Should she? It was as if Kris was challenging her. What for?

'Okay proud guy, who is it?' 

Kris diverted his attention to the skyscrapers. 'I can't tell you. But I wish I can.'

Alex rolled her eyes, feeling relieved for no particular reason. 'Whatever, Kris.'

She was taken aback when Kris took her left hand in his. She's wearing her engagement ring today. 'Alex, what's the best thing about being engaged?' Kris's voice was low, it was nearly impossible to hear him.

What's the best thing about being engaged? Is it the wedding ceremony and the gowns? Alex rarely wonders about that. Kris touched her ring finger. 'Knowing that you've found a lifetime partner,' she answered. 

'Lifetime,' Kris repeated in that low voice. From the corner of his face, Alex thought she saw him smile. The only problem is, he doesn't look happy at all. Just when Alex was about to ask him about it, he changed the subject again. 'Will you spend Christmas eve with us tomorrow? Mom's been asking for you.'

It would be a good idea. In fact, Alex wants to. 'I can't. I usually spend Christmas with Flix and her son.'

The rapper nods. Then he got himself up. 'Where are you going?' Alex hesitated on staying seated over the ledge. Kris stopped her from standing. 

'I'll just go get something. I'll be back.' 

When Kris came back, he was holding a rectangular gift the same size of a necklace box. It's covered in purple and shiny silver ribbon. He took his spot beside Alex and handed her the small present. 'For you.'

Alex gladly received it. She's forgotten to bring her Christmas gift for him. 'I also have one for you but I forgot it in the apartment.'

Kris seems amused. 'You do?'

'Yep. Can I open this?' Alex tried shaking the thing, guessing what could possibly be inside. 

Kris shook his head. 'Not today. Keep it that way until I tell you when to open it.'

Alex frowned. He shouldn't have given it to her today if she's not allowed to open it yet. 'How come you're weird?'

Kris laughed. Even with the pain in his eyes, he looked handsome. Without meeting Alex's eyes, he said, 'There's a reason why I didn't tell you what happened to Dad right away. There's a reason why you were the first and only person I wanted to see and talk to when it happened but you ended up as the person I didn't see and talk to at all. I've been counting the days, Alex. And I don't want to spend the remaining four days with you watching as I mourn for my Dad. It'll take so much away. It'll take four days in which we can probably go out and bike or watch a movie. Things we still haven't done together yet.' Looking back to Alex, he asked, 'We're on Day 27, right?'

They are. Alex didn't think it would matter to him that much. She didn't think he would care to remember in the first place. For a while she said nothing. This is what they've become. This is where the crazy proposal took them. It turned Alex from being just a fan girl to a friend. It changed Kris from being the cold-image idol to an ordinary approachable guy. Things between them have bloomed. It used to be the most impossible out of all the impossibilities. And yet it has become true. They've reached far.