Day 1

30days with Yi Fan
DAY 1
 
Alex checked her phone the moment she woke up. No new messages or calls, from Clint. Nothing but one from her manager. 'Don't be late.' Three words. Flix didn't even say good morning or don't forget to eat breakfast. Alex never understood why Flix always sends her that message. Never in her whole modeling career has she been late. Even once. 
 
'I'll see you tomorrow.' Alex remembers the text while brushing her teeth. He can't be serious. Alex has another full schedule today; she wouldn't have time for some fake girlfriend pretension. Don't he even dare treat Alex like someone he could ask out anytime he please. I have a real boyfriend to think of. A real boyfriend who hasn't contacted me since three days ago. A real boyfriend who still hasn't called me back since that voicemail I left him last night. And a real boyfriend who doesn't even know I have a fake boyfriend now. Alex stared at the mirror wondering about the last time she ever felt as troubled and alone as she does now. Five years ago, when her parents died. Three years before she met Clint. Two years before Flix discovered she has talent. Why does she feel lonely all of a sudden? Clint. There must be something going wrong with him or the business. Alex promised herself that she'll call him tonight, after the weekend runway rehearsal.
 
'You ready?' Flix came in to the dressing room to check on Alex. She always does, before an interview. Flix saw her staring at the phone in her hands. 'Alex?'
 
Alex looked up. Her eyes, even with the make-up, looked pale and sad. But she smiled. Like always. 'Yah, I'm ready.' She stood up and gave Flix a double tap on the shoulder, 'Shall we start?' 
 
Flix knows Alex like nobody else does. And she knows it was better not to ask Alex what's wrong. Not now, when her model's about to get interviewed and face the cameras. 'You're on in three minutes.'
 
 
 
Modeling. Almost all young girls want to be like those models they see on their TV screens. Those models auditioning in runway reality shows and those they see page-by-page on their favorite fashion magazines. Alex never thought she'd someday want to become one. What she really wanted was to wear a nurse uniform and work in the hospital. She and Chesca were supposed to enroll in the same medicine university. But so many things can happen in a span of time. So many things can change.
 
Alex sat between the two other judges of Seoul Model Hunt2 and see herself in some of the finalists. They were tall, ambitious, and beautiful. They were in high heels too, and fabulous dresses. It was Alex's first time to be a guest judge for the show and she was having fun doing it. There were two or three contestants who confessed that they're big fans of hers. Such praises warm her heart. But she only smiled here and there, knowing that there's still so much to learn for her to become a true supermodel. 
 
'Thank you for joining us today, Alexandria!' The host named Mina said when the show ended. 
 
Alex was quick to reply, 'I enjoyed my time. Those girls were individually unique and share the same age as mine, that was crazy! Thanks for having me, Mina!' She gave the host a hug. Truth is, Alex always feels enthusiastic meeting new friends. She's already met fairly enough in two years time. 
 
3:16. One more, Alex breathes in. After the runway rehearsal she'll have time to call and talk to Clint and then tomorrow and on the 5th she'll have her offs. Alex changed clothes for the third time since that morning and did well during the almost 3hr-rehearsal. 
 
'We're done for today, good job!' Flix gave her the high five to lighten her up. Alex knew it was time for dinner and then she'll go back to the apartment and rest. 
 
'Flix, I want something sweet. Please..' Alex rarely eats sweets basically because she's prone to tonsillitis since she was a kid and chocolate was her favorite. The day tired her and she felt as if her sugar's at it's lowest range. 
 
Flix asked Ronald (the assistant designer) to buy cake and just when Alex has finished her meal it was placed on her table. 
 
'One slice only.' Flix said like her own dietician. Alex has no choice but to follow. Flix is the boss.
 
'Ah, I'm so full! Thanks Flix!' Alex yawned widely, stretching her arms open, knowing that it's only Flix and two workmates who can see her. 
 
'You're welcome. You don't have schedule for tomorrow. Take lots of rest. I'll see you on the 6th. I have a surprise for you.' Alex's face glowed upon hearing the last words. 
 
'You do?' Alex couldn't think of what her manager could possibly have for surprise. Flix only nods her head. The last surprise Alex got from her was the apartment she has now. Trust Flix to have big surprises.
 
'Pack your things. I'll drive you to your apartment. Your eyes demand sleep.' Flix said and  walked her way to the dressing room. Flix rarely lets Alex ride her car. Not that she doesn't want to but Flix is a single Mom. She has one child named Hyun Bae who she takes to and from school during weekdays. Hyun Bae is currently 8years old. He's such a good-looking kid who beams every time he sees Alex. One time Hyun Bae told Alex that he'll definitely court her if he was older. But Flix doesn't wish to expose her son to the career that she or Alex have. Flix may be a strict manager but she prioritizes family more than anything in the globe. It bothers Alex why Flix's ex-husband left. 
 
Alex went to her own dressing room too. She sat in front of the mirror and grabbed one cotton ball to remove some make-up. Sometimes she removes them when she gets home. Sometimes she does it before leaving her last schedule for the day. Her feet hurts. Sometimes she hates wearing heels and blame it for the veins she'd see on her feet every night. Whenever she's outside buying groceries or shopping for clothes, she prefers wearing flat shoes or rubber. One of the reasons why she misses Clint even more. Whenever Clint's with her, he'd let her sit for a while after hours of walking and when Alex feels like she can't get off the bed he'd willingly massage her feet until she feels a little more okay. Clint would cook her breakfast and eat with her. He'd wait till she finishes showering and drive her to her schedules. Above all this, Alex simply loved being with her boyfriend. The way Clint would hold her hand and the way they kiss. 
 
With one last circular massage to her cheek, Alex threw the cotton ball into the trash bin and packed up her things. Flix called from outside the dressing room curtain and told her to hurry up. When the curtains opened, Alex thought it to be Flix. It was Boonyi, the venue assistant. 'Miss Dawson, you have a visitor.'
 
'Really? Who?' Alex couldn't remember ever inviting anyone to visit her on set today. Not to mention at this hour. Before Boonyi can response, another person entered the dressing room and Alex's mind went through a complete riot. Of course. 
 
Kris Wu Yi Fan was standing there, feeling fresco, hands on the pocket of his black leather jacket. 'Hi.'
 
'I'll see you tomorrow' Alex recalls. She looked him straight in the eye and gave him a you-can't-be-serious stare. 'What brings you here?' She was now standing too and they're one chair apart. 
 
'I told you I'll come. Let's have dinner.' Kris said wasting no time. He sounded cool and Alex didn't like the bossiness in his voice. 
 
'I already ate dinner.' She wouldn't go anywhere with him. At least not tonight, when all she wants was to get home and lay in bed. 
 
'Eat again.' Kris was starting to annoy her. Wasn't he supposed to be the busier one between the two of them? Wasn't he supposed to be rehearsing for something or preparing for a comeback album? What was he doing here inviting her for dinner looking like he had done nothing the whole day? 
 
Alex tried to control herself and manage her tone. 'I'm full, thank you. Let's just meet some other time. I'm tired.' She grabbed her bag from the table, put it over one shoulder, walked pass the wrong timing-visitor but Kris stopped her by holding her arm. 
 
'Let's go.' She heard him say before he completely dragged her outside. Alex tried to free herself from his hold but she didn't have enough force. On the way out, she saw Flix and Alex swore to God she wanted to scream just to get away but damn she feels so drained.
 
Alex saw a black BMW in the parking lot and that's where they were headed. Her arm was starting to hurt. She stopped moving making Kris stop too and when he turned to look at her, she almost wanted to slap him if only he wasn't holding her arm. With all the strength she could use, she swayed her arm off the rapper's grasp. 'I can walk by myself. Do not drag me!'
 
She can feel herself frown and deep inside she wanted to cry because of combined hatred and fatigue. Kris didn't say anything. He opened the passenger door and Alex stepped inside. 
 
They were both quiet in the car and Alex could almost hear her own breathing. She hated Kris for tonight. It was all like a fairytale turned into a nightmare. Before, she only dreamt of meeting Kris and being friends with him. Now she sits in his car feeling like she dreamt of the wrong things. They aren't friends. Right now she feels like Kris could be her enemy. Shouldn't she feel excited that finally she's getting to know her idol more? She sighed and Kris turned to look at her. 
 
In Alex's eyes, Kris Wu Fan was handsome. He was more handsome in person than he was on-screen. His hair was messy but he still manages to look very manly and hot. He's got piercing on one ear and his eyes were boring into hers with creased eyebrows. 'We're here.'
 
Fismo Park. Alex should've known Kris would take her there. The place is known to many citizens for all its expensive restaurants, crowded streets and fireworks display at night. Of course Kris would choose a place with many people. People would see them together. There's even a restaurant dined frequently by reporters. Alex was absorbed in her own thoughts when she felt Kris held onto her arm again. She moved it away instantly. 
 
'People are looking.' Kris whispered beside her. In front of them were a group of adults looking mostly at Kris. Alex can feel them talking behind their backs when they passed by. It was cold and Alex could feel her legs slightly shaking. Kris took her by the wrist again and this time she just lets him. Just not the hands, she told herself.
 
Alex noticed that the more they keep walking, the more people follow. She's not used to that kind of attention. In fact, she only has photographers follow her in daytime. They don't bother her with questions. Usually, it was just for the clothes she's wearing. Alex can't think of any instances that were worse than that. There were few people who would call her and ask for a picture but that happens not so often. This moment's different though. The people who were following them have that negative vibe and Alex was feeling a bit irritated. How can Kris even go out like this? 
 
'Where are we going?' Alex asked.
 
'Somewhere we can eat.' Kris answered. Alex wanted badly to stop, her feet were already aching from too much walking all day. She also wanted to ask Kris to just take her home so she can sleep. But the man holding her arm looked so alive, as if he's gotten more than 12hours of sleep while Alex certainly looked pale (with her make-up removed) and stupefied. 
 
They entered a Chinese restaurant, west of the always-crowded diner Alex has in mind. They took the table beside the glass windows. Some of the people who's been following them dined there too. Others stayed outside, got their mobile phones in their hands and started taking pictures of the two famous people in front of them. 'What are we doing here?' 
 
'We're going to eat.' Of course Alex knows that already. 
 
'I meant why here and not there?' Alex signaled at the restaurant just beside the one they're at. 
 
Kris took their orders without asking Alex what she wants before answering her question. 'Not there. That place is always crowded. Too many reporters.' Alex didn't understand. Isn't that exactly what Kris needs? To get the attention of all those media and make another headline?
 
'But you said you wanted them to see you going out with...' Alex couldn't say the word me. 
 
Yi Fan shook his head. 'Not with that amount of people. They'll come, you'll see.' 
 
And so it happened. In the middle of their dinner, flashing lights came from everywhere. Alex couldn't even look at anywhere else but her plate. It was so bothersome considering that those people can't even give them some privacy. Alex felt like everyone else who was dining inside the restaurant was feeling awkward too. What the hell. Alex looked at Kris. He was acting as if nothing was happening and he was even halfway through his dish. He would even look at the cameras outside every now and then. How can he do that? 
 
'Look outside.' Alex must have misheard the singer. She can't seriously look that way and let all the photographers capture her haggard face. Right, he must have been kidding.
 
Alex did nothing. She wouldn't even eat her pasta. Kris bumped his leg into hers under the table. Goodness, did Kris Wu Yi Fan just did that, for real? 'What?'
 
'I said look outside. Give them at least one good shot.' Kris instructed. Who was he to command on Alex like that? And wasn't they already getting enough shots? It's almost been half an hour!
 
Alex glared at Kris before turning the head and looking at the crowd outside the restaurant. Oh God, there's plenty! The flash blinded her. Seriously, how can this be real life? Alex looked back at Kris who was now smiling. 'Happy?' She faked a smile. A fake boyfriend and a fake date, amazing. That thought brought back something into Alex's mind. Clint! She should be in her apartment talking to him!! How did she forget?!
 
Kris noticed the sudden change in her expression. 'What's up?' Seeing Alex's plate, he added, 'Eat. I don't care if your stomach's full. Just. Eat. I'll pay for everything.'
 
How come I liked this guy before? I hate him to the extremes. 'I'm tired. I want to rest. Let's just leave.' Alex made up her mind. She stood up and left Kris sitting there feeling embarrassed. If Kris wouldn't take her home, she'll take the cab. They had enough for day 1. 
 
She didn't dare look if Kris was following behind her or not. She didn't care about the reporters now approaching her to get more photos. She thought of a good headline. 'Kris Wu Fan confirmed to be dating model Alexandria Dawson. Dawson walked out on him on their first date.' Well, that's a good one. 
 
Except that Kris wouldn't let that happen. Alex felt herself dragged by him again, towards the parking lot. He's fast, isn't he? Alex hates being dragged along like a stubborn child! It pisses her to the core. 'Let go.' She shoved her arm once more, like a rewind of the things that happened before they got to Fismo. Kris let her by herself again until they reached his car. 
 
'What was that?!' Kris almost shouted at her inside the car. 
 
'What do you mean what was that?! I told you I'm tired! Why did you follow? You could've just stayed there if you want!' They were both shouting now and Alex could feel the heat in her face. This man right here can't seem to understand the meaning of tired. 
 
But Kris didn't speak after that. He simply just drove the car away. And just when Alex thought he'd take her to the apartment (never-mind if he knows her address or not), Kris was driving to an unfamiliar road. Alex glanced at her wristwatch and realized how much time she wasted for this fake dinner. 9:46 PM.
 
The BMW came to a total stop when they reached a five-star hotel. 'What are we doing here?' Alex's voice was already hoarse. She figured she can't argue anymore. It seemed useless.
 
'This is where I stay.' Kris replied. Alex looked at the hotel one more time. Kris Wu Yi Fan can't seriously own a hotel! Her eyes shaped the letter O and she was just about to comment when Kris cut her off. 'My condo's under renovation. I'm staying here for the meantime.' Oh.
 
They rode the elevator and stopped at the 24th floor. Kris got one of the deluxe rooms. When he swiped his card, the monitor on the door turned green and the door unlocked. Alex has never checked-in a five star hotel before. She only gets special treatments like free spa, make-up sessions, and VIP occasion passes. Every time she goes abroad, Flix makes sure there's a close friend's house she gets to stay in. But never a hotel. Or a five-star. Kris might even laugh at her facial expression that very second. 
 
Everything was like Maid in Manhattan. The big living room with the long dining table. Bedroom door to the right. It doesn't feel Korean at all. But there's a balcony where you can see all of Seoul. It was beyond fascinating. Alex wondered if there'd be shooting stars tonight. For an instant she felt mesmerized and relaxed. She had not noticed Kris followed her to the balcony.
 
Kris caught her in wonder. 'You're smiling.' Only then did Alex come back to her senses and realized she should be acting pissed. 
 
'Why did you bring me here?' Alex asked. They're in a hotel, in his room. Kris wouldn't...he wouldn't do something stupid, right? He himself is stupid enough! 
 
'We have to talk about you being my girlfriend.' 
 
'Fake girlfriend.' Alex emphasized, to which Kris didn't object.
 
Kris laughed silently. What's funny? 'Yah, yah, fake girlfriend. Let's get inside. It's cold.' He lead the way to the bedroom. It was massive. There was a huge bed in the middle of the room and a flat TV screen just across it. There was yet another mini terrace. Alex dreamed of having that kind of room when she was younger. The comforters and big huggable pillows, she wanted them all. It's not like she can't buy them. She just feels contented with what she already has. 
 
Without asking Kris's permission, she removed her flats and jumped onto the spacious bed. 'Hey! You are not going to sleep yet!' Kris objected this time, pulling Alex by the leg off his bed. 
 
'Hey, don't pull!' Alex managed to hold tightly onto the head part of the mattress, not letting go. 'Hey! Get off!' She tried kicking her legs up in the air so Kris couldn't take hold of them. When she saw that he wouldn't give up, she sat back up and surrendered her hands, 'Okay, okay! Let's talk!' 
 
Alex couldn't make-out what Kris was saying. She heard phrases like 'Don't walk out on me' and 'Lower down your voice' but it didn't really sink in. She remembered seeing Kris standing at the mini terrace and looking down. She remembered asking him what was inside the paper bag on his bedside table and Kris replying with 'Magazines'. But Alex drifted to sleep too easily. She needed it. And she knew Kris hated her for not truly listening when he was talking. She hates him too. Hates him for bringing him to the hotel instead of bringing her to her apartment. Or maybe not so because it was a five star. Hates him for making her forget she has a real boyfriend to call and said goodnight to. Hates him for always winning. Hates him because he chose that day to be their Day 1. 
 
'I hate you.' Alex said, never mind if it was in reality or only in her dream.