Day 6

30days with Yi Fan

DAY 6

'Alex, thank you for coming,' Kai gently pat Alex on the shoulder. They were getting ready to leave the dance studio, changing from sweaty to clean clothes. Kai put the strap of his bag over one shoulder and with his free hand, grabbed Alex's shoulder bag from the floor and carried it for her. Kris was talking to someone on the phone. 

'Don't mention it. I had a great time. You were amazing!' Alex beamed. She was grateful for the experience. It was a form of exercise and she knew Xiumin would have approved, Clint too. 

'Thank you. And you...' Kai directed to Kris. Kris just finished talking on his phone and was now removing the headset from his ears. He looked at Alex before looking at Kai. 

'I've got to- to the h-hospital.' Kris stuttered. Alex had the impression that he didn't want her to hear it. Kris didn't know that Alex already knows about his Dad. He still hasn't talked to her even during Kai's workshop. Kai nodded.

'Ok. Is she going with you?' Kai pointed to Alex. Both Alex and Kris shook their heads at the same time. Kai wanted to laugh at the both of them. 'Alex, are you free the whole day?'

Alex gave it a thought before answering Kai. She has the whole week off. 'Yes.' She replied.

'Really? So can I take you out on a date?' Kris's presence was suddenly forgotten in one corner. Alex saw Kai looked at Kris and the latter rolled his eyes. Kris seems bored. 

'Okay.' Alex simply said. Besides, she's got nothing to do in the apartment and it'll be nice to spend more bonding time with the choreographer. She was shocked when Kai held onto her arm. They started walking away, leaving Kris to walk the opposite side towards his car. 

'Bye Kris! Safe driving!' Kai waved back. He's not making Kris jealous, is he? Because it won't work. Kris doesn't care about whether Alex goes out with him or not. He's got his Dad to worry about in the hospital. 

Kris rode his car feeling dizzy. He's been having headaches for two days now and he thinks it was because of his mixed-up schedules. Everyone at G's Ent was making him rehearse endlessly for his upcoming 2nd album and in the afternoon he has to take turns looking after his Dad in the hospital. He even has to insert Alex in between. He's only been getting a maximum of three hours-sleep. Kai should thank him for even making it to his dance lessons today. That boy's always trying to fool around. 

'If you're tired, go get some rest. I'll take care of your Dad. Don't worry.' His Mom sent him another persuading message. She's been arguing with him on the phone a while ago. She worries too much about her son's health. When Kris told her that he got home at 4am last night (because when Sehun drived him home, Gregson called him back for rehearsal) and he's just attended Kai's workshop, she kept saying that he's taking his body for granted. 

'I'm on my way.' Kris sent her a reply. His Mom also needs to rest. She's been sleeping in the hospital for two nights already. The nurses said that his Dad's glasgow coma scale has dropped from 7 to 4. Kris doesn't understand those things. But he knows that it's getting worse. And seeing his Dad laying there with all the tubings and contraptions was just too much. He needs his career to pay for the hospital bills. He needs it for a lot of reasons. 

When he reached the hospital, the guard greeted him. His Dad's confined for two years now, that's why everyone in the hospital seems to know him too. They have spent the last two Christmas and New Years in his Dad's room. He got down from his BMW and walked to the hospital entrance. His phone vibrated in his pocket and Kai's message popped out the moment he unlocked the screen. 'I will visit tonight. I'll drive Alex home first.' Kris didn't dare send a reply. He doesn't want to think about the model. He doesn't want to remember yelling at her last night. His mind's too occupied. 

 


Kai has known Kris since they were schoolmates. He was three years below Kris's but they were both active in extra curricular activities. They were both forced to join the glee club back then. And they were trained hard, it was funny. Kris would turn any slow song into rap and Kai would ride along. Their teacher didn't quite understand what to do with them, while their classmates laugh. Kai has only been into choreography for a year. Kris was already a big star after he finished studying dances. But Kai has been there for Kris. He's been there celebrating his success with him. He's been there when Kris's Dad was still talking and walking. He's been there when Kris caught Lexy cheating. And now, he is, yet again, on his side while Kris tries to forget Lexy by asking Alex to act like a girlfriend.

Alex is radiant. She has nothing but nice things to say about her manager and her career. She looks happy now, while she and Kai were eating in a street food stall. 'Are you also like this when you're with Kris?' Kai asked. Kris rarely tells him the real deal between him and Alex. 

'What do you mean?' Alex asked back, blowing on her hot potato stick. 

'Do you also tell him that you like eating this stuff? Do you tell him you're hungry and that you want to go out?' Kai elaborated. He always asks things straight. 

'No.' He heard Alex say. 

'Why not?' He did not hesitate to ask more. 

Alex shrugged her shoulders then as if she knows Kai would ask some more, she quickly turned to the vendor to order chicken intestine. Yes, people have the same issues about Kris, Kai thought. Kris always has that cold guy image, making someone feel a bit taken aback when with him. But he's not like that. And Kai wants Alex to find that out by herself. With a smile, he concluded the Kris topic by saying, 'You know, it'd be nice if the two of you really become friends.' Alex managed to smile back.

 


Alex felt energized after a whole week of rest. When she came to work on Tuesday, she couldn't be more happy to greet everyone. Park Jeo Si a designer in Korea, invited her for her evening show. It's going to be a ramp showing her latest design collections. And Alex was one of the twenty-two models chosen. Jeo Si showed the dresses that she wants Alex to showcase and Alex almost hanged out of amazement. They were all fabulous and elegant! She couldn't wait for seven o'clock!

Junghwa put thick make-up on her cheeks, making her look like a Japanese doll. And her hair was curled and sprayed all over to appear more bushy. Alex felt vintage. The purplish red eye shadow was overpowering her eyes and she kept blinking because Junghwa has just applied black eyeliner to one of her eyelids. Her lips bore a slightly peach appearance, almost like the color of flesh. And as if that still wasn't enough, Junghwa spread glitters to her face. When Alex saw herself in the mirror, it's like she's grown three years older. Make-up does that. It does magic. 

By half past six, guests occupied their respective seats and waited for the show to start. Alex has no idea that Kris Wu Yi Fan will be watching. She breathed in and out, trying to relax. Even though she's been modeling for almost three years, she still gets nervous on runways. She believes that it's sometimes healthy to have.

The runway started and Alex could only make out Flix from the crowd. Her first get-up was a long white strap gown with a thigh-length slit on one side that exposes her y leg. Her clavicle was evident and the front part of the dress reveals her cleavage. She had to control herself from shaking because of the cold. The second time she appears on stage, she was on a faded denim skirt, off-shoulder top and stilettos. They have so little time to change in the backstage and Junghwa had to re-apply some glitters on her forehead and in the corners of her eyes. The third attire was fit for the winter season: rugged jeans, elegant red-strapped shoe, a girlish chiffon blouse and holding a gray leathered jacket over one shoulder. Every time the models walk towards the center, everyone in the hall applauded. And for the last showcase Alex went out feeling proud of the floral straight-cut knee-length dress that she's wearing. She loved Park Jeo Si's collections. So did the other contributors and guests. The show was all in all successful.

After congratulating Jeo Si and changing into her regular clothes, Alex sat for a while to relax her legs. She enjoyed a small chat with the other models whom she haven't met before and exchanged numbers. Flix was still outside talking to someone; probably a photographer or another designer. Minutes after, Flix called for Alex to go outside. The place was being tidied up by the organizers and crew and the ramps were gone. When Alex got out to Flix, Kris was there holding a bouquet of pink roses.

'You did well.' Kris handed her the bouquet. Why does he keeps appearing in her shows? Does he have a copy of her schedule? Flix signaled that she'd just go get something  leaving Alex alone with Kris. 'Dinner?' 

Alex wanted to laugh at how strange things were between him and Kris. Why is he here in the first place? There was no media present to take pictures of them together. He didn't even bother to say sorry for how he treated her last weekend. It was as if nothing happened. Is that a good thing or not? And dinner? Their first dinner together was quite a scene. How can tonight ever be different? 

But Alex is tired of arguing with this man all the time. She thinks of Kai and Sehun and how they described their friend right here. Maybe she'll give it a try, now that she's real hungry. 'Okay.' She said. She saw the corners of Kris's mouth curled up into a smile. 'But!' She pointed a finger. 'No yelling. It's been an incredible night for me so far. No ruining.'

Kris nodded, contented of the deal. 'Promise.' He said. For the first time since the first time they laid eyes on each other, Alex felt...at ease. She only hopes Kris meant it. Promise is a big word after all. And he only has the night to keep it. 

 


'Why modeling?' Kris asked, while they were waiting for their food. This time Kris has chosen a much private place. There were no photographers around and Alex was thankful for his consideration. He must not know the real reason, Alex thought. 

'I love fashion.' She answered. It was one of the reasons but not the main.

There was something different about Kris tonight. He seems reserved and...Alex can't really describe it. He was quiet whenever he's not asking her questions and when Alex was the one asking he'd answer flatly. Something occurred to Alex. 'I heard about your Dad's condition.' She may sound like she's trying to interrogate but she's not.

Kris looked away from her to the fork in his hand. He didn't seem to be enjoying his food either. He ate much better during their first night together. In fact, he ate a lot that time. Alex waited for him to say something but nothing came out. 'I hope he awakes soon.' It was the only thing she can say. Ever since her parents died, Alex tries not to put so much feelings into words like that. Because it brings back so many painful memories and she can't stand recalling them again. But Kris knows nothing about her past. He's just a fake boyfriend. He's just a celebrity.

She ate everything that's on her plate. She didn't want them to fight over her not taking a bite again. After a while, Kris looked at her and she saw the sincerity in his eyes when he said, 'Thank you.' It felt good seeing him that way. Not that Alex wishes him to always be that serious or sad but...she wishes him to always act like a man. The man she's eating with now. But then she still wished he could say sorry for whatever happened after the fansigning. It'll make him less of the cold guy that he is. 

After they had dinner, Kris drove Alex home. He didn't say anything while they were in the car. He didn't ask Alex if she wants to go anywhere else. And Alex didn't have to yell and tell him she's tired and wants to hit the sack. When Kris opened the car door for her, he was looking somewhere in the ground rather than at her. Alex simply stepped out and waited for any bye-bye or goodnight. Kris said nothing. And for the first time out of all the first times in her life, Alex prayed that Kris will never be that quiet again. It just doesn't feel right. Alex couldn't take it. He shouldn't be that way.