The Second Time

30days with Yi Fan
THE SECOND TIME
 
What was that about? What just happened? Alex tried to slap both of her cheeks to prove that she's not in a dream. Oh no, it really happened.
 
Kris is not gay; his manager said so. But honestly, what's with the proposal? And Alex shouldn't say yes. She shouldn't, right? It's like betraying her boyfriend Clint. And the fact that she's engaged adds more to the reasons why she should not do such thing. Never will she change her mind. That's just...what, a plot in a Korean drama series? Can it really happen in real life? It just did! That Gregson man was here just moments ago! Ah, headache!
 
Alex has never went to bed at 6 in the evening. This day's different though. She thinks it'd probably be best to sleep and forget about Kris, his manager or their crazy ideas. Tomorrow she has a full schedule and that will require her undistracted mind and undivided attention. Focus, just focus. 
 
Alex woke up feeling like she had the longest hours of sleep in history. The only time she got out of bed was to drink water at 3AM. She looks at the clock on her bedside table and see the numbers 08:38. It's still too early. She got up, took a warm bath and changed into a casual shirt and skinny jeans. She might use an hour to go shopping for groceries. Making up her mind, she grabbed a backpack and filled it with her necessities for the day: a pull-over, swimwear for the Ladys Beach gathering, sunblock, shades, etc. Before leaving the apartment, Alex slipped the diamond ring in her finger and smiled at the thought that any day next year she's getting married.
 
When Flix told her that she'd be making another commercial of BB cream, Alex couldn't hide her excitement. During cosmetic CFs, all she has to do was show the camera what she always does before and after shower. She'd have to wash her face, comically splashing waters to the sides of the sink, smile in front of the camera as if it were a mirror, and apply the product to her skin. As simple as what the director said. They finished the shoot after four takes and Alex still got to share lunch with the crew and talk about her vacation in Canada. Her workmates know about Clint and the engagement. They've also seen the ring and told Alex that they're happy for her. But people outside Alex's workplace, the media and her few followers, didn't and she thinks it isn't necessary. Some matters must remain private. 
 
"Guys, guys! You wouldn't believe who's here!" Sulli, one of Alex's closest workmate came rushing to their table while they were eating pizza. They were in the middle of talking about Flix's younger days and Kurt's (the CF director) past shooting experiences. Sulli made quite a good entrance and everyone was like "Who?"
 
Alex almost choked on her coke upon hearing her next words, "Kris Wufan and his manager!"
You've got to be kidding me. 
 
"Kris? As in Kris the rapper?" Kurt asked.
 
"Yes, yes!" Sulli confirmed and then turned to look at Alex. "They're asking for you, Alex." No way. Here? That talent manager can't seriously know even Alex's schedule! 
 
Alex excused herself from the group; knowing that hearing another stupid proposal or the like is only going to sound worse when done in front of a crowd. She looked for the short man and he was there near the venue door standing beside the six-footer Kris. Alex had to stop herself from staring at Kris's fashion from head to toe. She's the model here. 
 
Gregson was the first one to speak. "Good noon, Ms. Dawson!" What's good about this afternoon? Alex asked inside her head, and got her subconscious yelling back 'Kris!'
 
"What is it?" Alex wanted to finish the conversation right away. She still got an interview at 1. She noticed Kris looking at her; she was wearing spaghetti strap and short shorts. When she saw Kris looking at her exposed legs, she almost shouted "Hey, what are you looking at!?" Kris immediately looked up to her face. He shouldn't be staring that way! "What is it?" Alex repeated, this time to both Gregson and the rapper.
 
"Sorry to bother you again, Ms. Dawson but Kris and I are here to ask you about the proposal again," Gregson spoke. 
 
"My answer's not going to change," Alex was fast to answer. 
 
She was shocked when it's Kris who asked "Why?"
 
Why are you asking me this? "Because I don't want to!'"
 
"Plenty of other girls wouldn't hesitate if I offer them what I'm asking you, Ms. Dawson. It's only going to be fake. It's not like I'm going to kiss you or hold your hand in public. I mean, maybe we'll eventually do that but-
 
"Then why not ask those other girls!?" It was only Alex and Kris now. Never in her whole life had Alex dreamed of being Kris's girlfriend and do those boyfriend-girlfriend stuff with him. Or did she? Maybe in her past life but still! She's not that anymore! "Can't you just forget this whole proposal thing and I promise you, I won't tell anyone how annoying or silly or arrogant you are in real life. Just stop this, okay?" Alex tried to cool down the atmosphere. But it was merely for herself. 
 
Gregson was about to drop it. But Kris spoke again, "Why won't you say yes?"
 
Alex knew it was time to tell them, "Because I'm engaged, Mr. Wufan! See?" She shoved her ring hand to Kris's face. Kris's lips slowly parted and Alex thought she already won until-
 
"So? Ms. Dawson, I'm asking you to pretend as my girlfriend. I'm not asking you to turn down your engagement or anything like that. Two months. Just two months."
 
"I might get married within that two months," Alex defended. 
 
"One month." Gregson opposed.
 
"How 'bout one week?" Alex said without joking. 
 
Kris laughed. "What can we prove in a week? You're funny."
 
I am? This guy. Seriously. What's got into him? I swear he's not the Kris Wufan I've supported for years. Maybe he has a twin brother. Maybe this is him. For heaven's sake, being surrounded by these two makes me turn into a crazy person too! 
 
"One month. Please." Alex heard Kris Wufan said please for the first time. It sounded sincere. Suddenly she felt like Kris must have been going through something for him to want this. Alex was still going to say no.
 
But she figured she has to say something first, "Why do you even have to do this? I don't get it. You're famous and you have fans. Whether you're gay or not, if they're your true fans, they will still support you. Because that's how fans love their idols. That's how it should be."
 
"Sounds like a true fan," Kris said with a smile.
 
Yes. And today, I've met my idol for the second time.