Day 28: Surprise

30days with Yi Fan

DAY 28: SURPRISE

Alex woke up to the sound of dribbles outside her window. Someone from the neighbors must be playing basketball. Slowly she pulled herself from the bed, feeling lightheaded. The weather felt good. It is during these mornings when Alex feels like staying at home. She grabbed her phone from the table and checked for new messages. Chesca's message wasn't unexpected. She always visits on the day before Christmas. 

After going down to the kitchen to get an oatmeal and a piece of strawberry, Alex sat on the couch and reached for the remote control. It's been ages since the last time she watched a morning show or a movie. Her cellphone rang.

For the first three rings she ignored it. There's this interesting prank happening on TV that has caught her attention and she doesn't want to be distracted. Deciding to answer it because it just won't stop, Alex put the bowl of oatmeal down and took her mobile. The moment the phone touched her ear, the caller shouts 'It's me! I'm coming so you better prepare the gifts!'

Why does she have friends like Chesca who yells over phone calls? It almost broke her eardrum. 'Okay, okay!' She yelled back with the same excitement. During the 24th of December, it's always either Alex spend lunch with the Linns (Chesca's family) or Chesca go to her apartment. They'd have gift-giving and storytelling. Storytelling means tons of catching up. After talking to her bestfriend, Alex ran up the stairs back to her room to get the gifts she has bought for Chesca and her parents. She bought Chesca a new Chanel shoulder bag and ended up buying a microwave for Mr. and Mrs. Linn.

The only gifts remaining underneath her bed are for Kris, Xiumin, Flix and Hyunbae, and Clint. She remembers what Kris said yesterday before driving her home. 'You said you went to G's Entertainment last night. Why, did you want to know if I was there? And then you said you contacted Sehun to drive you here because you wanted to see me and that you were worried. Does that mean you missed me?' The glee on his face when he said that. And when Alex didn't reply he even shouted happily, 'You missed me!!' Such a weird guy. Alex found herself smiling. 

Alex was brought back to reality by a loud knock on the door. 'Coming!' The way Chesca knocks is annoying. It always sends the owner of the house running to open the door. 

Chesca had a make-over. She cut her hair really short that she was almost unrecognizable. Except when she opened , 'Merry Christmas! You like the hair?' She noticed Alex was looking at her head. 

'Oh my God, who are you?' Alex joked. The transformation was brilliant. 

Chesca came in and put down the paper bag she's holding on the carpet. She drank on Alex's glass of water; too lazy to walk to the kitchen. Seeing the oatmeal on the center table, she comments, 'Seriously, oatmeal? Look at you! You must have lost at least ten pounds. You should eat something like a tray of pork and four cups of rice!'

Alex laughed. She's not aware of her weight. She can't even remember the last time she stepped on a weighing scale. Chesca might only be exaggerating, again. When was the last time they saw each other? 

They exchanged gifts but promised to open it once they're out of each other's sight. Killing time, they both talked about their past weeks. Chesca's having difficulty with her lessons. 'It's getting harder every single day. And everyday we have exams. My brain's going to explode! It's like every time I review the books I have to make sure I finish one page in one minute.' When Alex did not understand, she explained, 'Because obviously we're required to read three hundred pages per homework. That's Medicine life, imagine?'

It must be hard. If only Alex can help. Knowing Chesca though, she's a tough student. She won't quit. Alex is sure of it. 

'How was your week?' Chesca asked.

'The usual. Full of photo-shoots and meetings.' Sometimes Alex wonders if her life ever sounds interesting to Chesca. Ever since she started modeling, she had none but one answer to tell her whenever she asks the question how was your week. It was always the usual. 

All of a sudden, Liar started playing from the television. It would only remind both of them about one person. 'Hey, you know what, let's do something.' Chesca stood up, walked to get something from the CD drawers and turned to face Alex again with the video camera in one hand. 

'No way,' Alex said.

'Come on, we haven't recorded one since you met him. It'd be fun!' 

Alex can't believe her friend's making her do this after what seemed like ages. She had compiled the Fangirl tapes in one box, not thinking of the possibility that Chesca would ever record her again. 'Chesca, no.'

'Why not?' Chesca complained, standing in front of Alex and making sure she has a good view of her face. 'Okay, one, two, three, action!' Alex saw the red light on. Chesca have pressed the record button. What the hell. 'How does it feel now that you have met Kris Wu Yi Fan?'

'Chesca...' 

'You're a big fan of his. You must have felt really happy about it. Tell me how it happened.' Chesca just won't stop. Alex can't see the reason why they have to do this. 

'This is a bad idea,' she said. Chesca still hasn't stopped recording.

'Alex, you can do better than that. How was it meeting Kris Wu Yi Fan?' Chesca keeps repeating the question. 

Alex shook her head in disbelief. 'Fine. It was surreal.'

'More details please!' 

'What, are you a sasaeng fan?' Alex laughed. 

'Alex, please, you're ruining the tape. How did you meet Kris Wu Yi Fan and what happened afterwards!'

Will it be nice doing this again? Alex thought of the first time she met Kris. She thinks of the kind of relationship that they have now. What she realized was that she may never tell him how much she once fantasized about him. He might never know that she was once his biggest fan and he was her only idol. And he will never see these tapes so why not do it anyway? She swallowed. 'I met Kris at the airport last October 1st. He accidentally bumped me because he was running and the things I was holding fell and he picked it up for me and apologized.' She stopped there, looking at Chesca holding the camera firmly with her palm. 'He's really good-looking. I remember how my heart seemed to stop that time. I just...I was...completely out of words and...I-'

'Don't stop the spazz now,' Chesca's voice sounded like a threat. Alex didn't cut herself of because she didn't want to continue. She's just really speechless.

And then she started saying random things. 'He's really nice. He treats me like I'm someone special. Like I'm the only person worth spending his time with. Like the fact that he becomes this very approachable guy when I never expected him to. I thought he was self-centered and insensitive and annoying and cold and bossy but he's not any of those and I've come to like the real him. The real him that loves his family and cares about his friends. Sometimes I feel like he really is my boyfriend and I really am his girlfriend. Sometimes it feels like I'm not engaged at all. And many times I don't see it to be wrong.' 

The red light was gone. Chesca has stopped recording. She didn't get fangirling because everything Alex said was not a spazz. It was a confession. And she's waiting for her bestfriend to shake her. Alex was also shocked of what she just said. She didn't think those feelings existed. 'I told you it was a bad idea,' She heard herself say. 

Chesca approached her and just hugged her. For all the years that they've been bestfriends, this was the first time Chesca didn't say anything. She used to scold Alex for being irrational and unreasonable. But for today she left it all on Alex's shoulders because she too has her own flaws. She can never instruct Alex about what she should and should not feel. 

 

At 7:30 Alex was already on her way to Flix's house. During Christmas Eves, she usually help her manager in the kitchen. For more than three years it's been like that. They make the perfect visitor for each other; one whose husband left and one who lost her parents. 

Alex made it there at quarter past eight. She pressed the buzzer and waits. In a matter of seconds she can almost hear Hyun Bae running to get the door. He opened it and together they beamed. 'Alex!!' Hyun Bae hugged the model just above the knees and the latter had to bent down a little.

'Hi Bae! Merry Christmas!' Alex made a mess of his hair. He's grown a few inch taller. 

Hyun Bae wears a striped long sleeves and jeans. 'Merry Christmas to you too! Now we're complete!' The way he said it sounded more of a sweet truth than a bitter reminder. Alex always had the impression that Hyun Bae considers every Christmas as complete as long as the three of them celebrate it together. She nods.

'Where's your Mom?' They were still on the doorway, and Hyun Bae had already taken the paper bags from Alex's hands without her noticing. Her gifts for them are all in there. 

Flix appeared from the kitchen. 'Looking for me?' 

Alex smiled. Her manager didn't look like a talent manager at all. Flix was in her apron, hair in a bun and pot holder in both hands. There was sweat on her face and Alex can't help but imagine her as one of the Masterchef contestants. 'Whoa, I missed you in that outfit!' It's been months since Alex saw Flix experimenting in the kitchen. 

'Sounds like an insult to me,' Flix said and Alex laughed. 'But I'd gladly appreciate some help here.'

Alex closed the door behind her; with Hyun Bae tagging along on her left hand. 'Of course. That's why I'm here.' 

Flix snorted. 'No. You're here because you're gonna spend Christmas Eve with us. I just happen to have some difficulty with the crust.' She sounded like she really needed rescue. Alex let go off Hyun Bae's hand and followed Flix back to the kitchen. 

The smell was a mixture of bell pepper, tomato and olives. Alex saw the bread inside the oven. 'You're making pizza?'

Flix was on the table opening a cocktail. 'So it seems. What would Clint suggest?'

Clint. It's been a few days since Alex last thought of him. He'll be coming back in two days. And no, Clint has never taught Alex how to make pizza at home. 'Uhm, he taught me how to bake but not this. There's someone we can contact though. For help.'

Chesca's Mom loves making pizzas. They gave her a call and in less than thirty minutes, the smell was good. It took them a while to realize that it could've saved lots of effort if they've just ordered a box of pizza outside. How silly.

'What else?' Alex was all-game for more cooking. Flix insisted she make salad and Alex fry the chicken. Hyun Bae was left watching cartoon in the living room. Christmas at Flix's has never been Christmas full of trees and lights and santa socks. But there's always delicious foods on the table, and large servings. By the time they finished, the whole house smell of nothing but great dishes. 

 

They gathered in the living room to do the countdown; basically because when the clock ticks twelve, they do gift-giving first before eating. 

'3...2...1...Merry Christmas!!' 

All three of them were shouting as if they wouldn't feel the spirit of Christmas without doing so. Hyun Bae was holding a wolf stuffed toy and slowly approaching his Mom to give her a peck on the cheek. 'Merry Christmas, Mama!' 

Alex loves spending Christmas with them because she simply enjoy watching Flix transform from a slightly-strict manager to a wonderful Mom. Hyun Bae turned to her and give her a kiss too. 'Merry Christmas, Auntie Alex!' 

'Ew, since when did you call me that?' Alex can hardly remember. It just means that Hyun Bae's really happy. He laughed, and Alex almost wants to squeeze his chubby cheeks.

'Merry Christmas, Alexandria,' Flix said. She calls her Alexandria whenever she feels like Alex has become more matured through time. It implies some sort of formality and admiration.

Alex greeted back. They then gave their gifts. Hyun Bae was never the boy who opens presents on Christmas Eves. He prefers to do it at six in Christmas morning. Smiling to himself, he revealed two bracelets from his sleeve pocket. It's a loom band. 'I made this!' He announced boastfully.

'The luminous will be for Mom.' He reached for Flix's hand and put the bracelet on. Yellow green is Flix's favorite color. Alex can see that the remaining band is pink. Not the striking kind of pink but more like baby pink. Hyun Bae took her hand. 'I hope you like the color.' 

Flix and Alex looked at each other. Clearly, Hyun Bae have surprised them. This was the first Christmas that he ever got something for his Mom and Alex. It touched them both.

'I know, I'm awesome.' The kid joked. Indeed he is. After putting down his toy, he said, 'Kris was here this morning.'

He caught Alex off guard. 'He was?' 

Flix answered for her son. 'He dropped by to give Bae his gift.'

Of course Kris would give them gifts. He's rich. He can pretty much afford anything. Alex wondered what he could have possibly given Hyun Bae for Christmas. 'Have you opened it?'

Hyun Bae shook his head. 'Tomorrow, at six.' 

Alex smiled. 'As always.'

'Let's eat?' Flix invited and they all went to the dining table. Just then, Alex's phone started ringing. 

Clint. 

He spoke before Alex can even say anything. 'Merry Christmas, runway girl! Everything's okay at Flix's?'

For a while Alex wanted to just drown in the sound of his voice. God knows how long she hasn't talked to him.  It almost felt like he's there and he can see her sitting across from her manager and Hyun Bae. Although the truth is that Clint just happens to know exactly where to expect his girlfriend during Christmas Eves. 'Merry Christmas! Yah, uhm, they're here. We're about to eat. How's it there?'

Yes, it's been a long while, Alex thought. It felt unusually awkward, to be honest. Like having so much to say or having none at all. But Clint sounded fine. Alex can even hear forks and knives against plates. 'Everyone's here. Mac and Pops! Say hello!' And with that, Alex heard the voices of his parents from the background. 

She knew that Clint has turned the loudspeaker on so she tried her best to greet back happily, 'Merry Christmas too! I miss you!!' Afterwards she heard a soft tone and knew that Clint's the only one who can hear her now. 'I'll see you in two?'

Something was off. Alex wasn't sure what, or if she was just being paranoid again. But that moment she felt like talking to an acquaintance rather than her fiancé. The conversation lack intimacy. 

'Yep, see you soon, baby.' 

Maybe Alex was just mistaken. If only she can hear the sincerity and longing in Clint's voice. There seems to be something that's clouding her. Pushing it aside, she mouths, 'I love you, Chef.' And Clint said the same. 

Love was supposed to be like that anyway. As long as they both can still say those three words to each other, love is still theirs.

 

December 27th came. It was a morning full of anticipation for Alex. Clint said that his arrival will be at three in the afternoon and there's no need to fetch him from the airport. The first place he'll come to when he arrives is Alex's apartment. 

Alex cleaned the house. Her boyfriend stays with her in Seoul. Sometimes he visits and sleeps in his friends'. Just to make sure, she changed the bed linens and prepare clean clothes for Clint to change into. She went out for grocery and filled the refrigerator with vegetables and meat. It's time to say goodbye to fast food chains and  get ready for real foods once again. Her chef will be back.

Kris called her thirty minutes after she just got home from the market. Alex picked up right away, not expecting it to be him. 'Kris.'

'Disappointed that it's me?' His voice sounds cool but hurt at the same time. 

Alex heard herself say, 'My boyfriend's arriving today.' 

There was a pause, and sound of car and keys. 'I know. Now will you please meet me outside? I'm right here at the door.' Alex was already on her way to the door when Kris spoke again, 'Oh, and please bring the gift with you.' 

The gifts! Alex still hasn't given Kris her Christmas gift for him. And he still hasn't given her the go signal on when to open the wrapped rectangular box he's given her. She ran upstairs to get both, while holding on to the phone. 'No need to hurry, Alex.' Kris said over the line, making her laugh.

When she opened the door, Kris was back to his famous rapper image. He doesn't look like someone who've lost his Dad just two weeks ago. He's tough and good-looking. Putting the phone down, Kris stepped closer and kissed her on her right cheek. 'Merry Christmas, fake girlfriend!'

She almost tried to pull herself away from the contact due to surprise. Suddenly she's reminded of the words she said in that video Chesca took of her the other day. Kris only made it worse by saying 'fake girlfriend'. Nonetheless, she smiled indifferently. 'Merry Christmas', she returned.

Kris looked down at her hand. He took the rectangular box, disregarding Alex's gift for him. 'I only asked you to bring this.'

Alex pushed the other box to him, 'It's for you. My Christmas gift to you.' Kris laughed at the gesture. He seemed so happy today. Alex tried to distract him, 'So, is it time to open it?' She pointed at the small box in Kris's hand. The rapper nodded.

He handed it back to Alex. 'Open it.'

'Right now?' 

Kris smirked. 'Right now.'

'Here?' 

'Here,' Kris confirmed.

'In front of you?' 

Kris squeezed her cheeks. 'Yes, right here, right now, just open it Alex!'

Alex removed the silver ribbon and unwrapped the box. It's a car key.

Just in time, Kris gave way for her to see the brand-new silver BMW parked on her front yard. With his gummy smile, he exclaimed, 'Ta-da!'

The car was exactly the same as Kris's, only the color is different. They walked closer to it. 'Kris...' Alex couldn't believe it. Kris has just given her a car for Christmas! Can she even thank him enough? Can she even accept his gift? 

Kris put a finger to his lips. 'No objection please. Just take it.'

Again, Alex can only make out 'Kris...'

'It's not all my money. It's actually from Flix and me. Originally, it was her idea.' That explains why Flix didn't give anything to Alex on Christmas Eve. 

Alex raised an eyebrow. 

'What? Condition no. 7: Be more reasonable and honest. Right?' Kris reminded her. After rolling his eyes, he grabbed Alex's hand and pushed her inside the driver's seat. 'Let's see how you'll do with your new car!'

Not having the will to resist, Alex positioned herself comfortably on the seat, secured herself with the seatbelt and admired the whole brand new set. She knocked the back of her head to the chair as if to test if it'll break. When Kris was already seated beside her, she inserted the key and hear the car come alive. It almost made her heart explode because of too much joy. 'Oh my God, I love you Kris!'

. What did she just say? 

She turned to look at Kris and muttered, 'I didn't mean that. I'm just really overw-' 

'Don't worry, I love you too. Now drive!' Kris beep on the horn. Alex laughed. Once again, Kris managed to turn something awkward to something funny. Although he wished for one second that all they said could be true. 

 

'This is really cool,' Alex kept saying while driving. They've decided to roam around the subdivision, just so Alex can give the BMW the test-drive. 'I can't ever pay you back for this,' she frowned. 

'You don't have to,' Kris assured. 'Just make sure to drive safely every time.'

What did Alex do to deserve this? When did things start to become reciprocal? With nothing more to say, she drove back to the apartment. 

Once the car stopped, Alex got the key from the ignition and thanked Kris for the nth time. 'Really, this is awesome. Thank you.'

Standing on the front yard with a few inches apart, she added, 'Now I feel ashamed of my gift to you. I hope you'll like it though.' It's a pair of shoes he can use for basketball. 

'I will. Don't forget to say thanks to Flix too,' he said.

'Of course.' Alex smiled. She's really grateful for the car. It's unbelievable that there's people like Kris and Flix who buys car and apartment for gifts. 

Someone spoke beside Alex. 'That's a nice car.'

Both she and Kris turned.

'Hey,' Clint put an arm around Alex's waist and kissed her on the lips. 'You look utterly surprised. You do know I'm coming, right?'

Alex's eyes were that of an owl's. She's forgotten about the time! And now Clint's here and Kris as well. She tried to compose herself and with small voice she managed to say his name, 'Clint.'

'Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?' Clint directed his eyes to Kris, still holding on Alex's waist. The feeling was new. Maybe because Alex hasn't let anyone else touch her for the past weeks asides from Kris. 

'Uhm...' 

Kris continued for her, 'Nice to meet you. I'm Kris.' He gave him his hand to do a handshake. Clint gladly took it.

'Finally we met, Kris. Nice distraction you got here.' The reality that Clint's there with them feels unreal. Alex still hasn't absorbed that thought. 

'Distraction?' She repeats. She did not get what Clint meant by that. 

Clint laughed. It didn't sound like a good laugh. 'By showing you the car he succeeded with having you forget about my arrival.' Seeing Alex's disapproving stare, he took back his words, 'I'm just kidding, Alex.'

What's with his humor? Alex thought. It's not even funny. She slowly let drop Clint's hand from her waist and looked back to Kris. 'Thanks again, Kris. I...'

'No problem, Alex. Guess I'll see you around,' Kris said without giving Clint a glance. He only wants to look at Alex's face. 'Bye, Alex.'

And with that he leaves.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello to my subscribers! Sorry for a super late update. I was supposed to post this two weeks ago but I had to edit some parts. Not to mention I got depressed last week because of the Kris issue (as I'm sure you're all aware of). I've already said my opinions regarding Kris leaving EXO and if you haven't read it yet, kindly see it here:

https://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/861534

Tonight is EXO's first solo concert and I am excited! By all means, I will always be a fan of the group even without Kris. I also will always be a fan of Kris even if he's out of the group. Just like what I said in this story's foreword, 'Let's love Kris Wu Fan even more!' Tonight, let's be one with EXO!

Please wait for the next updates. Fighting!! :)