Day 8: Meet the Mom

30days with Yi Fan

DAY 8: MEET THE MOM

'Is she your new girlfriend?' Please tell the truth, Alex whispered to herself. She was careful not to stir too much. Kris and his Mom do not know that she's already awake under the covers. 

'No, Ma. She's a new friend.' She heard Kris said, rather coldly. It really is his Mom. She doesn't know about the proposal? Alex was torn deciding whether to wake up or continue acting asleep. Finally making up her mind, she comically stretched out her arms and yawn, slowly looking to Kris and a woman of 50s standing next to him. When their eyes meet, Alex was sure hers went bigger. Maybe she should've stayed asleep.

It took a moment before she figured she should say something. 'Hi,' was all she managed to say. God, I need to check myself in the mirror first. For a reason that she could not understand, she saw Kris hiding a smile. What's funny?

'Ehem,' Kris said when his Mom said nothing. She was looking at Alex from head to toe and Alex wasn't enjoying it. 'Mom, I'd like you to meet Alex. She's a...well, she's a model.' What the hell. He turned to Alex, 'Alex, this is my Mom.'

Alex rarely do it but this time she did. She bowed down like how Koreans do it when they acknowledge the presence of someone. She actually did it two times in front of Kris's Mom. Kris's Mom did the same and gave Alex a warm smile. 'Nice to meet you, Alex.' And Alex could only smile back, savoring the moment that she's finally met her idol's parents. Or more accurately, her fake boyfriend's parents.

They remained like this for a while before Alex can't take it anymore. 'Uhm, I need to use the restroom, excuse me.' She almost walked towards the door to her right as fast as she could. And when she's already inside, she exhaled deeply. That's really awkward. She tried to fix her breathing and stare at herself in the mirror. You look ugly, she hated herself for agreeing to sleep over the night in the hospital. Yes it was good meeting Kris's family; she just hoped she hadn't met them moments after she's just woken up. Her hair's a mess and she always have hated the way she looked in the morning. Alex sighed. Can I stay locked up in here until Kris's Mom leaves? No, of course not. She washed her face with soap and water and after repeatedly composing herself, went out to entertain whatever kinds of scrutiny there will be. 

When she sat down on the sofa she slept on, Kris's Mom started with her first question. 'You're a model?' Alex couldn't see Kris's face because he has his back turned. She wishes him to be on her defense if in case his Mom asks something 'bout how they met or the like. 

'Yes, Ma'am.' It sounded really formal, the way it should be. And Alex could only wish she can tell them goodbye and go home. 

She turned her head to her son and teased, 'You're fond of models, aren't you?' Having heard that, Kris instantly react with a loud 'Mom!' And Alex felt like if they were seated opposite each other, Kris would have bumped his Mom's leg under the table. It'll be funny to witness. 'How did you meet my son?' Uh oh, here you go, Yi Fan. How do I answer that?

'Uhm...' Alex hesitated, making it obvious that she needs help from the rapper. But Kris let her finish the sentence by herself. 'At the airport. We met at the airport.' It was better not to lie. But how is she going to continue from there she has no idea.

'Airport?' Kris's Mom directed to him for any supporting detail. 

Alex knows Kris was tensed too. But she was thankful when she heard his next words be, 'Yes, I accidentally bumped into her outside the airport. We met again three days after that and I asked for her number and...that's it.' Both his Mom and Alex were following where his story's going, nodding after each phrase until he finished. Well, that was a clean recap, Alex thought. Everything that Kris said actually happened. No lies there. 

'An unusual beginning,' his Mom commented. 'And how long has it been since you two met?' 

To this, Kris and Alex answered at the same time, 'A week!' which startled the woman. At least they were saying the same thing. It'll be bad to hear different stories coming from the two of them. 

'Oh, and you've already met my husband.' Kris's Mom made a hand gesture towards Kris's Dad who's lying on the hospital bed. 

Alex didn't know what else to say so she just nods. Every now and then she'd try to smile politely. 'Your parents? Where are they?' Before Alex can answer, Kris interrupted. 'She's here in Korea alone. She's from Vancouver.' Why did he have to answer that one? That was purely a question for me. 

'Really? Kris was born in Vancouver. Did you know?' Suddenly, both her eyes and Kris's were on Alex's. I was a fan of his, Alex wanted to say. But not wanting to spoil anything about her being Kris's fan, she chose to answer it with a simple, 'Yes, it's in his profile.' She doesn't care whether they'd wonder when she ever took the time to search on Kris.

The rapper was surprised. 'You looked at my profile? Where?' 

Alex looked at him, wondering if she should make a confession or something. She was about to say her first lie of the day when her phone rang, making her two listeners look at her bag on the arm rest of the sofa. She reached for it and get her phone. It's Clint. Thinking that she'd rather talk to her boyfriend alone than have Kris and his Mom listen, she hurriedly excused herself from them once more.

She was outside the room when she pressed the answer key. 'Chef!' Alex felt relieved. Clint's call was a good distraction, at the best timing. She would probably never tell Kris about her little fangirl secret. 'Good morning! It's-' she glanced at her wristwatch. '-9:45 here in Seoul.' 

It was noisy on Clint's side. Alex can barely hear him because his voice joins with the loud background. 'What? Can you go somewhere quiet, I can't hear you clearly.' She tried. Clint must have walked away because the noise was slowly disappearing. Alex waited for him to speak. 

'Hello, hello? Can you hear me now?' He said, as if testing a microphone. Alex laughed. She had missed his voice. 'Yep,' she replied. 'What's up, Chef? Where are you?' 

'I'm here in the mall. Guess what?' Here comes the guessing game, Alex smiled. What could her boyfriend be doing in the mall? 

'You're getting a new haircut?' 

'Nope, I'm not getting a haircut without you seeing. Second guess?' 

'Hmm...participating in a cooking contest?' Alex was sure that's also a wrong one. Clint never says yes to having his face broadcasted on shows. He's not a public guy. 

'Do I even have to say if that's wrong or not?' No, he doesn't have to because even Alex knows it is. Clint was in a good mood. 'Other guesses?'

'I'm blank,' Alex admitted. 'What is it?' It has to be good. She can feel it in Clint's voice. He seems excited about something. 

'I got my ticket to Seoul!' He beamed. Alex can imagine him waving the ticket in his hand. That instance, she wanted to hug her boyfriend for waking up her senses to the best news she's ever got since she came back to Seoul. 

'Oh my God, really? When?' She can hardly wait. 

'Still a few days away but-December 27!!' Clint sounded like a teenager who's got his tickets for his favorite basketball game. December 27, two days after Christmas, three weeks from now, Alex calculated in her head. 

She can't wait to see him. All she can say after that was, 'Thank you.' And she cannot understand why she felt like someone just saved her from getting shot by a bullet. Clint made her happy and yet here she was, tears forming in her eyes, because she believed she's been stressed so much these past few days. She closed her eyes, with one hand still holding the phone to her ear, and her back gently pressed against the wall. 

'Hey, are you alright?' Alex saw Kris standing on the hallway, looking at her. She wasn't sure if the words came from him or from Clint's voice over the phone. 

'I'm fine,' she also didn't know whether she was saying it to the person beside him or the person listening to her voice. Kris was holding a cup of coffee in his hand. Alex nodded at him for whatever reason and then he's gone back inside. 'Clint?' She checked.

Clint answered. 'Is Xiumin with you? I heard someone asked if you were okay.' Kris was the one. 'Is there something wrong?'

Alex shook her head, as if Clint can see her. 'No, I'm fine, honey. I'm just really happy. I can't wait to see you again.' She reassured. Everything will be better once Clint comes back. 

'Me too. Love you!' 

'I love you too.' 

And then it ends.

Alex entered the room and Kris and his Mom were eating some bread and having coffee. They both looked up when she walked in. 'Alex, please join us.' Kris's Mom invited.

'Thanks but-' she bit her lower lip. 'I have to go. I...have a pictorial at four.' She caught Kris's eyes on her. 

'That's okay, Alex. Kris can drive you to your place.' She looked over to her son. But Alex was fast to object, 'No, it's fine. I c-can manage by myself. Just, uh, stay here.' She stuttered. Kris has never driven her home anyway, except the other night when he was not being himself. 'Have a good day.' She got her bag from the sofa and Kris accompanied her to the door. 

Before they were completely out the door, Kris's Mom spoke, 'Alex, please come here more often. Kris will love it.' Kris gave his own Mom a disapproving look. 'I meant his Dad. His Dad's going to love having more of Kris's friends visit him.' Alex had the feeling his Mom's been teasing him. She almost laughed. 

'I'll try to.'