Invitation

30days with Yi Fan

INVITATION

Kris watched as Alex continued to walk her way towards the entrance. He wasn't able to ask what she has for appointment. He enjoyed lunch with her. He wants to believe that they were both starting to get over the adjustments; comparing their first dinner date with the one they had today. There was one problem though. Kris was going to see his manager.

He drove to G's Entertainment building and walked through the familiar steps to his recording studio. Gregson was already inside, all set for the afternoon session. When he saw Kris, he was too happy to welcome him, 'Hey! How was it? Did you see her?'

Lucky he brought the topic by himself, 'cause that's what Kris wanted to talk about. 'Why didn't you tell me it's going to be Lexy?' He intentionally ignored Gregson's questions. 

'She wanted to surprise you! She said you had no idea she's coming back from Europe!' His manager explained. It's true that Kris didn't know his ex-girlfriend's arriving from a trip but, how would he? They've broken up and lost communication for a year. Kris didn't want to know how Lexy was coping up with her life or if she was roaming around France and modeling. 

Gregson knows all about Kris's status with Lexy, that's why Kris couldn't understand why he would tell him to go to the airport and wait for Lexy as if they were still lovers overcoming a long distance relationship or something. He has no obligations to stand there or hold a banner saying 'Welcome back Lexy'. Kris looked at his manager before shaking his head. 'Greg, I was with Alex at lunch. She had to go with me to the airport and...I didn't even know Lexy's going to be there!' The point is, he didn't wish to see Lexy anymore. And worse, he didn't want Alex to meet her. Now what?

'I'm sorry I didn't know. I thought you'd be glad to-'

'Glad? To see Lexy? Why? After what she did?' Kris hates it. He doesn't want to go back to how everything felt like after his relationship with Lexy. He was avoiding from it. Lexy's been sending him messages asking for a closure and Kris had not replied to any of them. Gregson used to like Lexy for him. He's actually the one who introduced them to each other three years ago. 'And you told her about Alex, that we are just pretending? Did you tell her she's engaged?'

Gregson felt sorry. He must have known that Kris wouldn't like him interfering. 'She called me yesterday before her flight. She said she's been seeing pictures of you with Alex so she asked me who she was and when I told her that Alex is your girlfriend she asked some more.' Hearing himself now, it sounds wrong too. Kris raised a hand to stop him, he no longer wants to hear what else Gregson has to say. 

Kris sighs. He positioned himself down on the chair in front of the laptop where they review his songs. Gregson took a chair and sat beside him, knowing that Kris was trying to calm his nerves. After a while Kris started business. 'Which song?' He indicated at the folders on the desktop. Gregson called him to come today because they were going to decide which among the ten tracks they'll make a music video for. Kris already has a specific song in mind.

'Liar?' 

Kris nodded. It was the same song he's thinking of. It was that self-composed rap-ballad song dedicated to Lexy. He can sing the lyrics without holding a copy. 'You're a girl with some shh, and a bag of confidence. Your name sounds love and your lips, I can't resist. But you are, are you, a liar, liar, liar. You're a liar.'

Gregson moved the mouse to a different folder. It was named 'Feedbacks'.

'See that? You're still big.'

Kris looked at the screen. It was a screenshot of the fans' comments on his Twitter post 'Comeback in 7days! Are you counting with me?' There was about 1,107.

'You know what, I'm starting to believe that Alex is right. She told you that your fans will be by your side, gay or not.' Gregson cleared. Kris smiled remembering it. Alex said that when he came to ask her about the proposal. She sounded like a true fan that time. 'Have you told Luhan?' 

Luhan is Kris's friend in the industry. He's the man behind the blind item story that was featured on the newspaper last October. He's the reason why the article writer assumed that Kris was gay. He and Luhan always hang-out when they can. Kris almost wanted to laugh. 'Not yet. He's out of town.' When he sees him, Kris will tell his friend about Alex. He wouldn't mind him meeting her as well.

A folder next to a thumbnail caught Kris's attention. It was entitled 'Alex'. 'What's in this?' He pointed at the icon in the screen. Gregson clicked the file, revealing 212 photos of Kris and Alex. 'I've been saving this. I know, it's too many. Looks like your fans love taking pictures of you two together.' 

Kris was beyond amazed. It was all there. The pictures taken from their first dinner at Fismo, at Kai's workshop, at the fansigning, at the airport...

He felt himself smiling. The fans even managed to get a photo from their lunch that afternoon. And a picture of Kris standing there by his car with Alex waving at him that happened only an hour ago. Wow, that was fast. What's more interesting was the fact that Kris hadn't been inviting Alex out because he wanted to attract the press. Since the night they visited his Dad in the hospital, he has been inviting her because he...

'Are you alright?' Gregson alerted him. Where was I?

'Yes.' He answered quickly, not wanting Gregson to read pass through him. 

'Let me give you an idea,' his manager said. 'Alex is a model. You need one for your music video on Tuesday. You can ask her.' 

Kris laughed. 'Alex? Nah, she wouldn't do it.' Seriously, she wouldn't. 

'Why not?'

'Because she wouldn't want to.' Alex wouldn't. 

'And how can you say that?' 

'Because...she's stubborn,' really, Kris? That's your excuse? He was sure Alex would not agree. 

'Then we've found a match!' Gregson clapped his hands. As if that kind of teasing wasn't enough, he laughed along with his talent artist. Kris shakes his head. Gregson's idea is impossible. It won't work.

But maybe...

Kris can ask. He can. Maybe he should give it a try. Tomorrow at Flix's birthday treat, he will. If Alex will be there. Who is he kidding? Of course she'll be there! Flix is her manager. Right. Tomorrow Kris will ask. 

Tomorrow the anticipation might kill him. 

 

 

That evening, Kris drove to the hotel feeling less bothered. His condo's been renovated but he prefers to stay in the hotel for one more week. He swiped his card and the monitor lighted to green indicating that the door's been unlocked. He can't wait to shower and sleep. It was nearly 12 o'clock. 

He pulled off his shirt, ped his pants and went into the warm water for a shower. When he finished, he put the towel over his lower body and went out to his bedroom. There was a knock on his door. There can't be room service at this hour.

Lexy appeared right on his doorstep when he opened the door. 'Hi.' Her eyes went from his wet hair down to his half- body. You gotta be kidding me.

'What are you doing here?' Kris turned from her and walked back to get something to wear in his closet. He left the door swung open and Lexy was more than willing to follow him inside. 

'I checked in to the room just in front of yours.' She was happy to announce. Gregson.

Choosing among his piles of shirt, Kris asked, 'What do you want Lexy?' 

Lexy momentarily helped him pick-up a shirt she liked and handed it to Kris. 'I like this on you. We need to talk.' She still knows the stuff that her ex-boyfriend used to feel comfortable wearing. Kris took the shirt from her hand, only to put it down again and choose a sleeveless instead. 

'About what?' He asked while putting the sleeveless on. 

'About us.' Lexy was in her night wardrobe, it was in peach color and it falls down to her knees perfectly. Kris has the impression she was only in her bra and underwear underneath it. He won't be distracted.

'There's no us, Lexy.' He emphasized. He lay down on his bed with one arm over the back of his head and one leg over the other. He got the remote control and turned the TV on. Lexy followed him unto the mattress. 

'I just want a closure, Kris.' She said. 

Kris drew his attention to her, 'Okay, let's have it now. What have you got to say for yourself?' He challenged. She can either say the truth or lie, whichever she thinks would do both of them good. 

Lexy moved towards him and sat on his lap, Kris can feel her soft skin touched his. 'I still love you,' she touched his face and Kris can feel her breathe, aiming for a kiss. He moved away from her instantly. 

'Doesn't sound like a closure to me.' He stood up, leaving Lexy on the bed. But she stood up too and enveloped herself into Kris, forcing him to give in and do what she wants. 

'Kris, please,' she pleaded. She reached for his lips and she began kissing him intensely, rubbing her lips into him and tugging into his hair. Kris held onto both of her hands and pushed her away.

'Lexy, look at you!' He shouted in her face. 'Why have you become like this?' He shakes her to her senses. The hair, the make up, the satin she's wearing, the game for seductions...it was all not the Lexy he once knew and gone out with! 

Lexy looked nothing else but desperate. Kris saw tears about to fall from her eyes and he didn't want to see it. He didn't want her here. He was doing well without her. He let go off her arms and without looking at her, he said, 'You need to rest, Lexy.'

He thought she wouldn't listen. But she passed by him and next moment she was gone. I'm sorry, Lexy. He turned off the television and rest his head on the pillows, almost throwing himself into deep frustration. She'll be okay by tomorrow, she'll be okay by tomorrow, Kris continued thinking to himself until he finally fell asleep. 

 


Flix sent Kris a message in AM, reminding him about her birthday treat that evening. It was cool that Alex's manager considered inviting him. In fact, Kris thinks he was able to bond well with Alex's friends while they were in the resort two weeks ago. Alex was busy catching up with Xiumin that day, leaving Kris getting entertained by her manager and the rest of her workmates. But he at least got a chance to be with her that same night, when they saw the falling star. That was on his 25th bday. Stop thinking about that. 

He still has to go to the gym at ten and meet his trainer. He manages to work out every time his schedule allows him to. It was an alternative for basketball. 

Kris finished at four and having nothing more to do, he decided he can spend a few hours looking for a small present for Flix. He fished for his phone in his pockets and dialed Alex's number. He prefers calling her because she answers, unlike when he leaves her messages. 

Kris greeted first. 'Hi. Uhm, I was wondering...what does Flix like for a gift?' 

Alex's reply made him realize how foolish he was. 'I don't know. Why don't you ask her?' Right, why did he contact Alex and not Flix? 

Thinking of how to defend his actions, he quickly said, 'It wouldn't be a surprise if she knows what I get for her. I was hoping for your suggestions.' 

'She invited you for later?' 

Kris didn't like the way she said it. It was as if she doesn't want him to be there. 'Of course, we're friends, you know.' He heard some music from Alex's line. Where is she? Is she with someone? Is she at work? 'That's all. Bye!' 

After hours of roaming around the mall, and having fans see him unguarded, he still hasn't bought anything. He's such a loser. Maybe he has to attend Flix's dinner without giving a present. 

He reached Flix's address at a quarter to eight and there were already a few cars parked outside her open gates. Kris figured people wouldn't hear even if he knocked so he just went straight inside. Flix has a big garden. Mono-block chairs were gathered around and Flix has got like a hundred visitors. But she spotted Kris when he got in. She was near the main door of their house. 'Kris! Right here!' 

Kris got to where she was, bowing to unfamiliar faces he met along the way. 'Hey, happy birthday!' Flix initiated a smack on his cheek. 'Sorry I have no gift.' Flix looked at him in disbelief, 'This isn't a kids' party. At my age, I don't accept birthday gifts. It's okay, I'm glad you made it. Make yourself at home!' She beamed before meeting a new visitor. Her son, Hyun Bae, appeared out of no where and ran to Kris. 'Wu Fan!' He called. That kid likes chinese names.

'Hi kiddo, what's up?' He bent down to look at the toy car that Hyun Bae was showing to him. 'You got a car, huh?' 

'It's Ferrari! And it's red!' Hyun Bae boasted. 'I didn't know Mom invited you! Come, come!' He pulled on Kris, bringing him to the living room where there was less people chatting. Kris saw Alex sitting near a big snowman miniature. Hyun Bae pulled on him tighter, bringing him closer to where Alex was. This kid.

'Alex, Alex, look! Wu Fan is here!' 

Alex and Kris looked at each other. The former acknowledged him and then saw Hyun Bae's hand over Kris's arm. He can pull Kris around like a cart, eh? 'Hyun Bae, I know Wu Fan will be here.' She said slowly, using the same nick name. 

'You do? Mom didn't tell me. I thought you'd be surprised too!' 

Saving both Alex and Kris from his silliness, Flix came in and carry him in her arms. 'There you are! Hyun Bae, it's time to sleep. You still have school tomorrow.' For a second, Kris thought the kid would protest, but Hyun Bae asked for his Mom to put him down just to kiss Alex goodnight and say bye-bye to Kris. 

'It's sad I have school tomorrow. Will you be here when I wake up? The party could end till morning! Adults party like that, right, Mom?' Flix looked to Alex and then to Kris, who were both waiting what she's got to answer to that. 'Hyun Bae, Alex has work tomorrow. And Kris too. Now come on, it's time for bed.' And with one tag on her son, Flix has gone upstairs to their room to put Hyun Bae to sleep. The Ferrari car was left on the carpet. Kris took it, afraid that someone might step on it, and placed it on top of the center table. He wished the seat beside Alex was empty because there clearly was no one but her he knows among all the guests. What did he expect? This is Flix's party. He tried looking for a vacant chair, until he was in the gardens again, surrounded by women of thirties. 

At ten, everyone was drinking and having fun with the karaoke. Flix introduced Kris to some of the females, making sure he doesn't feel out of place. Kris wonders why Alex wasn't going out and having cheers with them so he took two glasses from the table, filled it with tequila and went inside to find her. She had not moved from her seat at all. She was playing with something on her phone, and she looked totally bored. 

'Cheers?' Kris disturbed her. Alex looked up and saw him holding two filled glasses. Lucky there weren't anyone sitting beside her anymore. Maybe Kris will have an opportunity to ask her about the music video. 

'I don't drink,' Alex said and Kris sat beside her on the sofa. She was playing Tap Tap. 

'Even just a little?' Kris offered once again and Alex paused the game. She then locked her cell phone and put it inside her shoulder bag. Now I have your full attention.

'I might get drunk,' Alex shared. 

'Get drunk with one sip? Never heard of such thing. Come on, if it tastes that bad, I'll down it for you.' She haven't drunk all her life? That's sad. Her boyfriend must really be strict.

Alex took the glass from him. 'What is it?' She signaled at the liquid moving inside the glass. 

'Tequila,' Kris admitted. Tequila is hard to drink. Let alone by a first time drinker like Alex. It's meant to be a chaser.

Alex downed a small amount. She didn't like the taste and it felt warm inside her after a while. 'It burns inside,' she massaged on . 

'You don't like it?' Kris wasn't being a bad influence here. He just wants Alex to try something that she never had. He'll still drink it for her no matter what. 

'I'm afraid I might get allergies or something,' Alex said after drinking it the second time. She never really knew how it feels like to drink alcohol and lose yourself. She don't know why a lot of people enjoys a drink when they're troubled. If Clint was there right now, he'd absolutely tell her to stop.

Hearing this, Kris took back the glass and drunk everything in one shot. Although it would be interesting to see how much longer Alex can tolerate the alcohol, he realized he doesn't want her sick or something. Alex looked at him after he finished the whole glass. There's still one on his left hand. Before she can say anything, Kris asked out, 'Do you want to appear in my music video?' 

'What?' 

'I'll be shooting a new music video on Tuesday. Can we have you as my partner?' He made sure she understands what he was saying. 

Alex didn't answer. But she asked him a question. 'Is that why you're offering me a drink? Are you trying to get me drunk for me to say yes?' Kris thought he had offended her, but he heard her laugh in the end. 'You always have your ways, don't you?'

Do I? I'm not aware that I do

Knowing that she was turning him down, he just concluded the invitation with a, 'Think about it tonight and then let me know by tomorrow. A simple yes or no will do.'

He started drinking from his second glass. The tequila leaving his insides warm. It feels good to be drinking again. Just a few sips and his glass will be empty. He felt Alex's hand stopped him from drinking further. 'You're still going to drive. I don't want you getting into an accident.' She took both of the glasses, stood up and walked to the kitchen to put them on the sink. She left Kris sitting on the sofa smiling his off. She cares.

But- get drunk with two glasses? That's too weak. Kris laughed silently while waiting for Alex to come back.

Thanks to Alex's concern, he was able to get to the hotel safe and sound. But the moment he was standing outside his room, he turned and looked at the door opposite it. Lexy's inside this room. Is she okay? Is she angry?

Kris threw himself to his bed, not bothering to remove his shoes or change his clothes. He just wants to sleep. He was no longer awake when Alex txted him:

'Yes. Goodnight.'

---------------------------------------

Spoiler Alert: Kris Wu Yi Fan's music video for 'Liar' is coming! Thank you guys for following this story. Fighting! :)