Chances

30days with Yi Fan

CHANCES

Time can either be running fast or slow, depending on how you spend your day. Kris hasn't noticed the days passed-by so quickly. Unlike Alex, he hasn't been counting down the days ever since she came back and told him they can be friends for fifteen more days. He figured he doesn't want to. 

But, he remembers every single moment he spends with her. Last week she invited him to go jogging with her and Xiumin. Although he was never the guy who does early brisk walking, he enjoyed his time and it felt good getting to talk with Alex's friend. Xiumin seems to be a guy with a bagful of determination. After that Kris invited Alex to meet Luhan for the second time. He remembered introducing them to each other during that night in the club. Kris wants her to find-out by herself why he and Luhan ended up in that gay headline two months ago. It isn't Luhan's fault if he's often mistaken as gay and people always demands him to act manly. Kris had known him since his stay in Beijing; a few years before debuting as a singer-rapper in Korea. The media always sees everything and even small details can be made into big rumors; like the fact that Luhan was in Kris's condo that day mentioned in the newspaper. How on earth would Kris know that he actually has reporters for neighbors? One thing changed though, because of that headline. Luhan no longer touches Kris in any part of his body. It's not like they hold hands while walking or embrace or kiss because for God's sake they aren't gay! But Luhan has once been that touchy friend. He's no longer that to Kris. And they both know why. 

The day after that, on Kris's off, Alex watched him play basketball. Not basketball without a crowd but basketball with all those cheerers, referee and an opponent. It has become that kind of relationship between the two of them. Kris can invite Alex anywhere as long as she says yes, and Alex can invite Kris anywhere without thinking that he's this famous star. And so they got to know each other better that way. Kris thinks that he's never revealed many things about himself to anyone that fast before. In less than a month, Alex already knows a lot about him; the things he likes doing, his childhood in Vancouver, his trainee days in G's Entertainment, and his affection towards his family. Alex would even visit his Dad in the hospital and stay over the night, without Kris telling her to. Things between them have become automatic. Sometimes Alex would txt him first and start a conversation on the phone. Since Kris has a copy of her schedule, he'd gladly visit her on set whenever he's free. And they'd spend lunch or dinner together; with Kris asking Alex what she'd like to eat. Things has started to change that way. 

One time Alex told Kris to drive her to Chesca's university. Kris didn't know what she has in mind but she's been acting differently the past few days, looking like she's hiding something. Until Friday night. 

'You have nothing to do for the rest of the night, right?' Alex asked him after settling herself on the passenger seat. They were planning of going to Kai's late dance workshop. 

'Yes. Why?' Kris was starting to feel that something's up. 

'Let's go to Chesca's school,' she suggested.

'At this hour?' It's seven in the evening. 'She might have went home already.' He assumed. 

'Nope, I'm sure she's still there. She's taking up medicine. Medicine students have classes till midnight,' Alex shared, exaggerating a little.

As if he still wasn't convinced, he asked, 'You sure?'

'Yes, Mr. Yi Fan. Now drive.' She instructed him to start the car. He smiled. She's become the boss way too long. Maybe he needs to make his own set of conditions too.

 

 

The university's a thirty-minute drive from Alex's apartment. Chesca was right beside the guard house when they arrived. She was embracing a thick book to her chest.

Alex and Chesca hugged and Kris greeted her with 'Hey Chesca.' He's hang-out with her and Alex a couple of times. 

'Are they ready?' Kris heard Alex asked to her friend. What are they doing here anyways?

Chesca beamed. 'Yes, yes! They've been here since four!' And then they did the high five. Kris was surely missing out on something.

They followed Chesca to the hallways then right in a corner then up a small staircase. From the outside, it looked like a small dome. 

'Shall we?' Chesca asked at Kris. Of course he's the only one here who has no idea of what's happening.

Kris looked at Alex and she seems excited. She gave him a look that tells him to trust her. Kris nodded. 

And Chesca opened the door.

'WELCOME KRIS WU YI FAN!!' 

Kris was surprised to see plenty of people inside, holding different banners that have his pictures on it. It's a gymnasium. And Kris hardly know anyone, asides from the two girls who were currently standing beside him. He knows whose idea is this.

'Exclusive fan gathering, huh?' He asked to the model beaming beside him. Alex looks radiant.

'Don't worry, they aren't going to attack you. Have fun, will you?' She sounded certain. Kris was sure it took her long to organize this. 

Not wanting to make the fans wait longer and trusting what Alex has just said, Kris walked to the center of the gymnasium. He tried to count the number of people but just looking at it from that spot, it looked like they make a minimum of fifty. 

He made it all the way to the table in the center without the fans running to him in speed. There's a table full of Korean and Chinese foods. He saw others wearing KRIS shirt and holding their light sticks. It's time to say hello.

'Hi. Uhm...' He seriously don't know what to say. Usually, his meet and greets are planned and works in an organized flow. But this one? This one's on the spot. Gregson wasn't anywhere to help him.

He can see the fans waiting for him to continue his speech. The smiles on their faces made him forget his awkwardness. He wants them to be at ease with him and him the same. 'Thank you guys for being here. I totally didn't expect this because...' He searched to where Alex and Chesca were. 'They didn't tell me.' Everyone laughed.

'Uhm, yah uhm...I don't know what we're gonna do tonight but let's have fun and make the best out of this rare event.' He emphasized. He's never done this in his whole singing career. The fans clapped and Alex suggested they all eat first.

Everyone brought cameras. While Kris was eating beside Chesca, flashes were everywhere. Alex won't even settle beside him. She's also holding a camera and roaming around talking to the fans. Does she know each of them? How did she even manage to contact them for this? Do they have to rent the gymnasium and pay the school afterwards? Are some of the attendees students in this school, Chesca's classmates maybe? Kris looked at Alex. If there's one thing about her that he's learned for the past weeks, it's the fact that she is a kid. She'll go around places and smile after meeting lots of people, she'll laugh over silly and corny jokes, she'll love simple talks and rides and chocolates, and she'll tell you when she needs to use the bathroom. 

The event went out according to how Alex and Chesca planned. They had games where Kris had to pick fans for partners and had to win to give them prizes. The prizes consist of his CDs, posters he signed just that day, and a chance to take a picture with him. He doesn't know when and where Alex and Chesca bought the merchandise and whoever paid for it, but he realized they really had this figured out. And everything went smoothly.

Kris saw wrapped gifts in one corner. 'What's this?'

Alex answered him, stating the obvious. 'Their gifts for you. For the past years, these people don't know whether you're really getting all the gifts they send you on your birthdays. This time around, I make sure you get them. See how plenty they are? I bet your BMW doesn't have enough space.' 

Kris looked at her in disbelief. Alex can be his official fans club's moderator. A 23 year-old model made time for this? He chuckled.

When the party came to an end, Kris said thanks to the fans once again and told them how much he appreciated all their efforts and endless support. 'Saranghamnida!' He shouted.

When all the fans have already left, Kris stared at the gifts he has to put into the car. He can come back for it after driving Alex and Chesca home. He texted Kai a while ago, saying that they can't make it to his workshop anymore. Alex and Chesca were cleaning the gymnasium. He walked closer to them. 

'Can I just go back for the gifts tomorrow morning?' 

Alex waved her hand, 'No, no! We'll find a way to fit it in your compartment.'

So Kris left it to the two ladies. Chesca wouldn't sleep-over Alex's apartment tonight. Kris had to drive her to her address. Before leaving Kris's car, Chesca told them goodnight. 'I hope you had a good time, Kris!' She said before waving goodbye.

It's only him and Alex in the car now. 

'Did you have fun?' Alex looked over to him while he was driving. 

Of course he did. He's grateful to what they've done for him. 'I had a great time! And I feel great actually.' 

That made Alex feel relieved. Her hard work paid off after all. She smiled though it didn't reach her eyes. 'I'm glad.' She said.

Kris walked with her to the door of her apartment. It's almost twelve in the clock. Alex really made him happy today.

'Can I show you how happy I am right now?' He asked while Alex was in front of him, her back to the open door. 

Alex didn't get it. Without waiting for her to reply, Kris stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her. He can almost hear his own heart beating. He just wants to stay there and embrace Alex for only God knows how long.

'Kris,' he felt Alex's hand tap him on the back. His hug was too tight. 'You're squeezing me.'

He laughed, loosening his hold in the process. 'Sorry,' he wasn't. Truth is, he wants to do it again. Let her breathe, he thought.

The embrace didn't feel awkward and Kris thanked the heavens that he did it. When he let go off Alex, she smiled at him. 'Goodnight, Kris.'

Standing there, looking at her slim figure, he said, 'Goodnight, Alex.'

For an instance Kris thought he saw hidden tears in Alex's eyes but he ignored them. Maybe she's just tired. 

Alex closed the door behind her and Kris walked back to his car. I'll just be right here. It's that promise that keeps repeating itself inside Kris's head. I've fallen in love with you.

Kris couldn't believe he's just said that to himself. 

 

 

'How was your day?' 

Alex was on the phone with Clint. It seems that someone has thrown a rock to his head to make him realize that he has a girlfriend in Korea who needs more than just wedding-related txt messages.

For the past days Alex realized that whatever she's feeling about their relationship, Clint should hear it straight from her. But she isn't going to tell him yet. She'll wait until he's back in Seoul and face-to-face with her.

She told him about Kris: how Kris seemed to change from that cold city guy to a very kindhearted man. How they spend their days well and how it is getting to know him more each day. It sounds strange. Everything seems to change little by little. Their conversation over the phone used to last for hours. Now, even with many days away from each other and a thousand of stories to tell, they'd end up the call in less than an hour. It's weird and painful at the same time. 

Even though Alex has her fears, she believes that once Clint comes back, she'll still feel very excited and happy about it. Because he's her fiancee, and they are about to get wed by next year. Out of all the hundred things that changed, her being engaged is the only thing that didn't. Alex's confused of what to feel about that.

 

 

On Dec. 14th, there's this fair that will take place near Alex's street. She has a commercial shooting in the morning and her only available time was in the afternoon. After texting Chesca and asking her to join her in the bazaar, Alex was left with Kris as the last option. Unfortunately, Chesca's in her two-day practical exams. 

'I'm in a fair.' It's her way of saying join me. Kris has her schedules but she doesn't have his. That's kind of unfair.

She's in a candy corner, trying to decide which candies to buy. Flix is surely going to stop her if she's watching her now. Alex heard her phone ring.

'What do they have in that fair?' Kris spoke the moment she picked up her cellular. He sounds in a hurry. Is he in the middle of recording or probably driving in the road?

Alex looked around her. There are rides, booths, secondhand books for sale, face painting area, art exhibits, photo corners, mascots, and lots of people. 'Hmm...' She thought of summing it up. 'Lots of stuff.' 

Kris snorts. He's acting for specifics. 'I've just finished an interview. I'll be on my way. Txt me where.'

Alex handed the money to the vendor and get her sour strips. 'I will, bye!' She said and put the phone back inside her pocket. 

While waiting for the Liar guy, Alex kept herself entertained by watching some magic tricks. People still love fairs, don't they? It's like everyone in Seoul was here. Wait, everyone?! Alex has forgotten that she's invited THE Kris Wu Yi Fan. People will recognize him! Should she buy an angry bird mask she saw from one of the booths and ask him to wear it as a disguise? Or maybe people won't pay him attention because they'd be busy roaming around? Alex might be overreacting.

Kris arrived and he's in jeans and Jordan shoes. Alex waved her hands in the air to get his attention and he saw her. Upon getting near her, Alex offered him M&Ms.

'That's what you managed to buy?' Kris looked down on the plastic of sweets in her hand. 

Rolling her eyes, Alex defended, 'Better than nothing. I missed eating these!' She really isn't twenty-three.

'What should we do?' Kris was looking around, trying to find something that will get his interest. Alex was taken aback when he held her free hand all of a sudden. 'There! Let's try that!'

Alex didn't mind the gesture. Kris led the way and they stopped in front of a booth that says 'Pose It'.

There's a table with several colorful blank post-its on top, all of the same sizes. 

The eyes of the two females in-charge went round the moment Kris spoke to them. They must be his fans. 'What's this booth about?'

The taller of the two answered, 'Uhm, it's for two persons. You'll write in the post-it, something you want to say to your partner. She'll do the same and then you, uhm, you'll stick it to her forehead. You're not allowed to remove it until you two separates. And we'll take a picture of you two with the post-its in your heads.'

Alex looks at Kris. He can't be serious about wanting this. They will look stupid walking around with those in their foreheads. Not to mention not knowing what your partner has written down for you. 

Alex decided to pull Kris and leave. But she saw many people walking around with shouting post-its on their heads. She even spotted one girl with a pink post-it over her head that says 'Will you marry me?' What the! Wait until that girl gets home and realized what her boyfriend has written down for her! Alex tagged on Kris to show it to him. 

'Cool! What she's written for the guy?' They both turned to read what's written on the guy's forehead. Kris was the one who read it out loud: 'You make me happy!!'

'Let's do it!' Kris said.

'No way,' Alex disapproves. It's a boyfriend-girlfriend thing.

'Come on! I won't write something stupid.' Kris really wants to do it. He's already holding a marker. As if he knows that she'll eventually agree, he picked a blue post-it and started writing.

Feeling like she can do nothing 'bout it, Alex picked a yellow one. Not peeking at what they have to say to each other, she wrote down 'You're a GALAXY guy. I don't get you at all.' Reading it one more time, she let out a laugh. Kris looked at her direction and she instantly hid the piece of paper. When they both finished, Kris placed his post-it over Alex's forehead and Alex glued hers to Kris's. The shorter female got her camera ready and placing Alex and Kris near the classroom-inspired background they designed on the wall, they made a pose and took two shots. The lady separated the pictures into two small brown envelopes and handed each to Kris and Alex. They aren't allowed to look at it until they get home.

Having the post-its stuck on their foreheads, Kris held Alex's hand again and they began roaming around once more. People started noticing Kris and asked for pictures. Alex had to remove the post-it in his forehead every time and return it afterwards. It's bothering her what Kris wrote for her. They played darts and Alex got herself tattooed on the back of her palm. It's only like a henna removable by water.

By the time they got into Kris's BMW, they removed the post-its, placed it facing down so they can't read and hid it in their bags. Kris can't drive wearing that, he'll look stupid. And there are mirrors in the car that can reveal what they've written for each other.

'What did you write for me?' Alex asked on the way home.

'You'll find out when you get home.' Kris said mockingly. If he's written something that's flattering, Alex would feel guilty on not taking the task seriously. She's even capitalized GALAXY in her post-it for him. 'Can I ask you a question? What day are we on?'

Alex didn't expect that from Kris. But she answered him honestly, 'Day 25.' Kris said nothing after that.

When they reached her apartment, Alex was quick to say goodbye. She knows Kris too can't wait to read what she's written for him. Only he'll be disappointed.

Once inside the apartment, Alex got the post-it in her bag. Here's what's written.

'I take risky chances with this adventurous girl.'

----------------------------------
Minimum of five chapters before we reach the ending! I feel sad because I'm sure going to miss writing this story once it's over. Anyways, that's still a few chapters away. Please savor the moments with me and enjoy each update. Comments are highly appreciated. Upvote please! Thank you! :)

P.S. Yes, I do love making stories out of post-its. (Such as in my BaekYeol fic 'Empty Keys')