Real Boyfriend Calls

30days with Yi Fan
REAL BOYFRIEND CALLS
 
Clint did call. And Alex had to put down the bowl of popcorn in her hand to answer it. She and Chesca were watching Windstruck for the nth time. 
 
'Hi runway girl.' Clint's voice sounded rather flat than usual. The greeting alone didn't sound like a greeting at all. But Alex tried to act as if she didn't notice.
 
'Hello there, Chef!' She beamed, making it sound like Clint was there right in front of her. At least she heard him laugh silently on the opposite line. 'How's my good cook doing?' Alex saw Chesca rolled her eyes in one corner; Chesca dislikes having to hear couple talks. She's never been in a relationship. 
 
'Really tired. The restaurant's understaff and Pops is so demanding. You know he loves favors and I'm stuck roaming around the whole place doing his errands and cooking at the same time.' Clint really sounded tired. Alex could only imagine his face that very moment. She also understood the thing with Clint's Dad because she witnessed it when she was with them. Alex wished she could give her boyfriend a hug. If only hugs were like messages you can send over the phone. 
 
'Aw, don't tire yourself too much. You'll look old. I won't marry you then.' Alex joked. She can hear Chesca's side comments but she just ignored her. The strange this was...she didn't hear Clint's. 'Hey, I was just kidding.' She decided to take back her own words. It bothered her not being able to see Clint's reaction while they're talking.
 
There was a short pause before Clint spoke again. 'How 'bout you? What's been going on?' There, you're waiting for that, aren't you, Alex? Alex bit her lip. It was so soon for them to reach that topic. 
 
'Me? It's my off today and Chesca's right here watching a movie with me.' She looked at her friend and Chesca gave her the do-not-include-me look. 'And...'
 
Alex had no idea how to start it with. '...it's also been a hectic week for me.' She concluded. I will say it if you ask. 
 
'Did you get my message this morning?' Clint was fast to reply. Alex can feel it coming. She goes for the delay again.
 
'Which one?' She asked, pretending she doesn't know which one's Clint's referring to. 
 
But Clint didn't answer her question. He knows too well when his girlfriend's trying to avoid a certain topic. Instead of joining her in the zigzag, Clint always gets straight to the point. 'How was your date at Fismo? Was he nice to you?'
 
There you go, now he's asking. Alex searched for the right words to say. How is she going to explain? 'Uhm...about that, i-it's actually a...he...' Alex can feel the red on her cheeks and she saw Chesca lowering the volume of the TV, she was obviously listening. Chesca approached her friend, snatched the cellphone from her ear, pressed it to loudspeaker mode and returned it back to Alex's grasp. Such a friend
 
Alex tried to open again but no words came out. It was silent on the other line too.
 
'I already know about it.' Clint said after a while. What? Alex and Chesca looked at each other's shocked face. Who could have possibly told him?
 
'You knew?' Alex asked. How come? She wanted to ask that question next.
 
Clint's reply was far from what Alex wanted to hear. And she could almost feel the sadness in his voice when he said, 'After thirty days, you'll still be mine, right?' Chesca was too close to her now and it was starting to bug her so she turned the loudspeaker off and pushed Chesca away. They'll talk later.
 
'Clint, what are you say-
 
He cut her off. They do not use the chef/runway girl endearments whenever they've reached something serious. 'Do you love me?' 
 
'Of course I do! Don't ever think I don't. Clint, you know I love you.' Alex wanted to say it over and over again. She wanted Clint to believe it because it was one of the things she was sure of. 
 
'I do. I just want to hear it from you. I miss you, Alex. I'm not used to the distance.' Alex could hear the sincerity in her boyfriend's voice. She feels exactly the same way. It was their first time of being away from each other. It's always been Clint-Alex together in Seoul and Clint-Alex together in Vancouver. For two years. And it's only been a week. A week, Alex thought. It's only been a week but we feel this way.
 
'Two months. We only have to wait two months and we'll see each other again, okay? It's only two months, Clint. Five days down.' She encouraged. And she knew they'll make it. Because it was nothing compared to other people's love stories. They were just being melodramatic. 
 
'I love you. And I trust you. You need to know that.' Clint said. Alex knew he said it for the Kris's issue. 
 
'You're telling me you're okay with it?' 
 
'Yes. But boundaries, alright?' Clint clarified. And Alex almost laughed at what she was sure he meant. 
 
'We're just pretending. And, I won't ever sleep with him. If that's what you're worried about, Chef.' Alex can't even imagine it. Kris Wu Fan is a cold guy. But Alex remembered her time in Kris's bedroom and swear to God she's not guilty. It wasn't as if they did something hideous!
 
'Good. Let's stop the drama and go to sleep, okay? How I wish I could get a long goodnight kiss. Too bad.' Clint commented, making Alex smile. She made a loud smack sound and heard Clint laugh. She wish of the same things too.
 
Right after that call, Alex went to bed feeling like the weight on her head has lessened. And knowing Clint was thinking of her too, she knew she had only wonderful things to dream of that night. But Chesca jumped into the bed to join her and Alex knew that maybe it's still wasn't time for sleep. 
 
After repeatedly asking each other who could've told Clint about Kris and guessing endlessly, they both have fallen asleep. 
 
---------
Hi guys! Been updating too much lately. My eyes hurt from staying too long in front of the laptop. It might take a while before I update again. The next chapters are jjang. I want a bottle of soju. Lol. Comments, feedbacks, messages are all welcome! Please look forward until the end. Fighting~