The Rehearsal

The Story That Just Began...

So.... I've been gone for about 2 years now... and I sincerely apologize for my absence. I know I've broken many promises that I've made, but hey, I'm only human. So try and forgive me.

I have just finished my frist year as a university student and it was HECTIC!! Although I would say there was no time to think while I was gone with university application, first classes and exams, it would be a total lie if I say I was too busy to write. Over the course of my absence I did sit down to write.... and I just sat there and stared at my computer, not knowing how to continue. I had a pretty major writer's block (now I'm even claiming to be writer) and it was hard getting out of it. But the good news is I finally did, and you guys had a lot to do with it. I was extremely surprised to see the number of subscribers shoot up like that while I was gone, which gave me the motivation I needed to write once again.

So no more delay: enjoy, comment and subscribe!... Not necessarily in that order!

 

-----------------------------------------------x-----------------------------------------------

Nayoung and Sapphy reached the dance studio just as everyone was beginning to stretch. Having already changed into their workout clothes, they began stretching with the other people as soon as they got there, dropping their bags in a corner of the room.

 

“Where’s Myong-young and Myatsoo?” Nayoung asked in English as she stretched.

 

“Mm, no idea. They were backup dancers for someone last night... Don’t know anything else... ” Sapphy replied as Haw, B2ST’s choreographer, walked in.

 

“Guys,” Haw said in Korean as everyone stopped to look at him, “We’ll start practice for ‘With You Tonight’ in just a moment. Who was doing Doojoon and Hyunseung’s part with the girls?”

 

Two boys raised their hands and Haw motioned towards them as he spoke to Sapphy and Nayoung. “You two will their partners.”

 

“Neh?” Nayoung asked, switching quickly to her awkward Korean. “But aren’t they Myong-young and Myatsoo’s partners.”

 

“Haven’t you heard?” Haw said, “There was an accident at the venue last night. Most dancers and performers were hurt. It wasn’t anything major, but they can’t fly to Japan tomorrow.”

 

“So, why us?” Sapphy asked, a little uncertainly.

 

“Ugh, you think your dance club supervisor just randomly recommended you guys to me? You guys are good dancers”

 

“I don’t understand...” Nayoung whispered to herself.

 

“So you are an idiot.” Haw glared at Nayoung.

 

“Yes she is sir!” Sapphy agreed.

 

“Shut up!” Nayoung hissed as Haw continued.

 

“All my other dancers are busy and you two are the only ones available. You were going to go to Japan anyways, so that was convenient. I just have to bother Sapphy to go along with you.”

 

“Totally fine with that!” Sapphy chimed in.

 

“Of course you are.” Haw said sarcastically. “It helps that you guys are good dancer, and since I’m desperate, I need you guys to go. Are we good, Nayoung?”

 

“I suppose....” Nayoung said a little confused.

 

“Good. Now start practising.” Haw said and started the music.

 

“But...” Nayoung was about to protest when Sapphy shut her up.

 

“You’ll be amazing on stage, too bad it’s Doojoon and not Yoseob.” Sapphy winked as she skipped to the person who was substituting for Hyunseung.

 

Nayoung went up to her partner, who smiled warmly at her. “You know the part?”

 

“Not really... I usually practised Yoseob’s partner’s part, but I can pick up.”

 

“Oh, so you’ve danced with Yoseob-shi?”

 

“No, no. I usually had classes when the boys had practice, only time I actually had to myself. I practised with the dance club at my university. Haw-shi would come every once in a while as a guest teacher and then as you know, I started two weeks ago.”

 

“Ah, then I’ll switch you with Jia. You’ll be more comfortable that way.” He smiled at her again and called over Jia.

 

Nayoung became flustered and started stammering. “Oh, you don’t have to. I’ll be fine.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. You’re doing us a favour. And besides, Jia knows both parts.” Jia had walked up to them by this time. The man then turned to Jia, “Jia, would you mind switching parts with Nayoung-shi here? She only knows your part, and you know Myatsoo’s part.”

 

“Sure, no problem. It’s just one performance.” Jia smiled and patted Nayoung’s shoulder as she took her place with him. Nayoung gladly thanked them as she took her place with her new partner.

 

Haw then restarted the music as everyone was ready. Nayoung smoothly flowed, making few mistakes yet recovering from them very quickly. By the third time, she had smoothed out all the flaws from her performance and was dancing comfortably. Sapphy danced gracefully, not making any mistakes from the beginning. She was the better dancer of the two, with prior dancing experience from when she was young. However, both of them were good enough to be professional dancers, keeping up with the rest of the backup dancers quiet easily.

 

When all the dancers thought they could not dance anymore without collapsing, Haw ended the practice and allowed them to go home and rest before their flight the next day.

 

As Nayoung went to go grab her bag, Sapphy also came to grab hers. “Hey,” Nayoung started in English, “Won’t you have trouble with visa?”

 

“Oh, I have visas to China, Hong Kong and Japan from this trip I went on last year. I told Haw about it a week ahead so we’re cool.” The two girls then grabbed their bags and started walking out of the practice room. Nayoung grabbed her water bottle as she felt like she was dying of thirst from the practice.

 

“Wait, why would he need to know?” Nayoung asked as she took a sip of water from her bottle before handing it to Sapphy.

 

“Oh, he wants me to go on Trouble Maker’s tour with them in late March. He wants Maki to stay behind because she’s going to USA, so I get to replace her. Yay!” She took a sip and handed it back to Nayoung, who put it away.

 

“How convenient. But I’m still not so sure about this whole thing.”

 

“Why what’s wrong?”

 

“I didn’t tell the boys I was going so Yoseob could have some time to think about... You know. But if I dance with him, especially if it’s this song, it might confuse things for us more.”

 

“What the ?” Sapphy stopped in her tracks and stared at her, “You didn’t tell them you were going? What the were you ing planning on doing? Secretly work for them and pretend a ing ghost cleaned their up?”

 

“Well, no...” Nayoung started to speak in her defence, but stopped seeing Sapphy’s intense glare, “Fine, yes. I was planning on doing that but after you put it like that, it does kind of sound stupid.” She nervously giggled and started walking away, praying to God that Sapphy will drop the topic. However, God did not listen to her at that moment.

 

“Look,” Sapphy jogged to catch up to her, before slowing down to a regular pace, “Both of you have had enough time to think. , you’ve even had enough time to think and come to conclusion to confuse the poor fellow. If what I’ve heard is true... He may have come to a decision about this mess you’ve created.”

 

“Wait, what?” Nayoung stopped in her tracks right in front of the bus stop. “What did you hear? Did you talk to Hyunseung recently?”

 

“Spoilers sweety,” Sapphy said with a sheepish smile. Just then, their bus came to the stop and Sapphy proceeded to get on it, followed by Nayoung. Due to a big crowd, Nayoung and Sapphy had to stand in the rickety bus, holding onto the passenger handles for their dear lives. Sapphy continued as the bus started moving,“And, for your kind information, I talk to my special someone everyday, share my daily happenings and feelings.” Sapphy was slowly explaining like she was talking to a five year old, with wide eyes and big hand gestures. “You know, that’s hat you need to do to maintain a relationship.”

 

“YOU are in a relationship” Nayoung pointed out, exaggerating the you, “I am not in one and don’t plan to be in one anytime soon.”

 

“Bull!” Sapphy cursed a little too loudly, as she turned the heads of quite a few curious passengers. She lowered her voice before giving Nayoung a piece of her mind, “Could you please stop this nonsense? Just accept the fact that you like the man. And he loves you! I know you’re worried about April, when you have to leave, but you always have the option of not leaving. You can stay back if this works out. You should never be afraid to love.”

 

Nayoung went silent at Sapphy’s words. She was right. She did not have to leave. She could stay, get a job here, be with the one she loves, and co- THE ONE SHE WHAT? She was startled by her own admittance of this fact. She knew she loved him, but she never once even let herself admit that she loved him. Now that she has... Does that mean she is willing to give in to her feelings?