The Wise Woman

The Story That Just Began...

So new chapter. As I write more I realize the quality of my writing is getting worse and worse. Hopefully not bad enough to scare away subbers and commenters.... Which I've already accomplished with my previous chapters.

Please don't leave me!! I love you all for sticking with me even though I had disappeared for longer than I actually updated my story!

 

So yeah.... enjoy, comment and subscribe!... Not necessarily in that order!

 

-----------------------------------------------x-----------------------------------------------

 

Same day

 

Sapphy was waiting in front of Nayoung’s lecture hall, where her exams were being held. She was still on an adrenaline rush from the small peck. Just as she was about to re-start daydreaming about Hyunseung, Nayoung walked out with her head hung low.

 

“You won’t believe what happened!” Sapphy squealed at the sight of Nayoung, not noticing her state of mind.

 

“You had happy time with Hyunseung?” Nayoung curtly replied.

 

“What? Eww, no! At least not yet... He just gave me a kiss. In public!” She squealed for a bit more before snapping back to reality and noticing Nayoung. “What’s with you?”

 

“I think I ed up the exam...” Nayoung glumly replied.

 

“You say that after every exam, so chill.” Sapphy put an arm around Nayoung’s shoulder as they started heading out of the university. “It’s been long since I heard you swear in English. Almost as if you had forgotten that mystical language.”

 

“Shut up.” She said, shoving Sapphy’s hand away. “I’ve been talking to you in English the whole time, haven’t I? And we always talk in English. I just like swearing in Korean better since people around me actually understand what the I’m saying.”

 

“Yo, you’re totally ed up today. Was the exam that bad?” Sapphy asked, slightly concerned.

 

“Well, yes and no.” Sapphy just gave her a weird look that clearly stated she didn’t understand what Nayoung was talking about, urging her to continue. “The exam was bad, but not that bad. there’s some other personal stuff that’s getting me down.” She finally confessed.

 

“So Yoseob was right in thinking you didn’t show up at the airport because of him?” Sapphy nonchalantly stated.

 

“What? No, absolutely not. Why would he think that? I had an exam! I couldn’t ditch. Absolutely not!” Nayoung rambled. Sapphy had stopped walking, her hands on her waist as Nayoung continued to ramble and walked on. After a while Nayoung realized she was walking alone and turned back to see Sapphy glaring at her.

 

“...What?” Nayoung asked.

 

“See, I was just kidding when I said that.” Sapphy said as she walked up to her. “But the way you’re denying says I’m actually onto something. So spill.”

 

“You’re not onto anything...” She awkwardly replied and walked on, entering a cafe in hopes of distracting her with food. “Nothing happened. Want a pastry?”

 

“Yes, a chocolate fudge, please.” Nayoung started ordering as Sapphy cornered her onto the counter. “Don’t try to avoid the subject with food. Just spill the beans.”

 

“There’s no beans to spill....” Sapphy glared at her as she grabbed two plates of chocolate fudge pastry and Nayoung grabbed two large lattes. “Fine... I just had a... let’s call it a talk with Yoseob.”

 

“OH MY GOD!! Did he confess??” Sapphy yelled as they took their seats by the window.

 

“Shh! I barely want you to know so don’t go announcing it to the world!” Nayoung hissed back at her.

 

“So he did confess?” Sapphy whispered excitedly. “Oh my gosh finally someone said something!”

 

“Wait, what do you mean finally?” Nayoung asked as she sipped her coffee.

 

“Well everyone knows you two love each other to death. We were just waiting for one of you idiots to realize that so you can be together happily ever after. So when’s the wedding?” Sapphy replied as she ate her pastry.

 

“We do?” Nayoung asked slightly confused. “Anyways, there’s no wedding. I told him he was confused about his feelings and so was I since we both are going through a break up and he understood what I was trying to say and that was that.”

 

“You did what?” Sapphy looked at her confused and annoyed.

 

“What do you mean what?” Nayoung asked once again, filled with pastry.

 

“You convinced that poor little thing he doesn’t love you? Are you insane? Do you have any idea how hard it must have been for him to come to terms with his feelings?” Sapphy raged quietly, considerate of the people around.

 

“What the hell are you talking about? He had gone through a break up and he needed a shoulder to cry on, which happened to be mine. Now he feels dependent and he confused that with love.”

 

“No he didn’t fool!” Sapphy urged. “You know better than me that there’s definitely some chemistry between the two of you. And you know that you love him. And you can’t deny it because you know that I know you better than anyone... At least in Korea.”

 

“Then why did I date Siwon-shi?” Nayoung asked defiantly.

 

“Because you were too afraid of your own feelings.” Sapphy replied. “And who wouldn’t date that hunky piece of meat?” She sighed and held onto Nayoung’s hand that was on the table. “Look, you’ve had feelings for that man for a long time now, just admit it already.”

 

Nayoung self-consciously bit her lips. “How do I know that for sure? I mean, I just broke up with-”

 

“Dumped, honey.” Sapphy cut in. “You got dumped. But continue.”

 

“Fine! I just got dumped by Siwon, I mean just two days ago, and it still hurts a lot. How do I know what I feel for Yoseob isn’t just some weird sort of mutual understanding?”

 

“Okay, just tell me one thing... what hurt more: Siwon dumping you on your birthday that most people forgot, including your family, or watching Yoseob get hurt by Jieun?”

 

Nayoung sat there silently, as the answer was clear to both of them. “But...” Nayoung started, “What if he doesn’t like me? What if it is just dependence?” Nayoung whispered, tearing up at finally being able to confront her feelings.

 

“Then would he have stayed up with you all night at the hospital? Would he have done all the things for you that he did that you tell no one about? Would he be ing crying over the fact that he thinks you don’t like him?” Sapphy took an angry bite out of her pastry, which seemed to calm her down a little.

 

“He was crying?” Nayoung asked worriedly.

 

“No, you idiot. Metaphorically.” Sapphy replied, annoyed. “He would’ve been crying if you had said no outright. But think about it, how much influence you’d have to have on a guy convince hi to change his feelings with a few simple words?” Sapphy finished up her pastry as Nayoung was analyzing all the information that she was just presented with.

 

“Let’s go.” Sapphy announced.

 

“Huh, what?” Nayoung was brought back to reality as she realized she still had a bit of her pastry left. “But I’m not done yet!”

 

“Well eat fast otherwise we’ll be late for our dance practice.” She said as she left the cafe.

 

Nayoung stuffed rest of the pastry in and hurriedly followed after Sapphy, still a little confused about her feelings.