001 (I)

T Is For Tattle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

    PART ONE One Friday Night Chapter One

 

Blabbering.

Nagging.

This White Tablet publishing team wouldn't just seem to knock it off.

"Where are we going to find some new real gossip action? It's been like a year since we had a good one," Philip Lee, the publication's gay editor, slightly contorted his face with scrunched eyebrows. He placed his folded arms on top of the long wooden table, in the middle of the room, as he leaned forward.

"Yeah. They're gonna cut our publication off." Luhan pushed his thick-rimmed glasses just above his nose. He sighed as he shifted on his seat on my right, one that was the nearest to my spot at the head of the table.

It had only been an hour since I and my eight teammates got called into the student council office. The idea that The White Tablet was indeed getting cut off still had not sunken into my mind, especially that I just saw Kyungsoo.

Do Kyungsoo.

The student council VP. My biggest crush. The secret that only Baekhyun and Chanyeol, my close friends, knew. Well, I really wasn't the one who voluntarily told them. They just noticed the way I reacted everytime I saw him in the hallways. And, due to their constant teasing and bickering, I ended up telling them anyway. I liked him since freshman year. A straight A student and the star taekwondo player. We were like the north and south poles of the magnet. I was a loud person, but he was quiet, reserved, and charismatic, with a subtle tinge of being a bad boy. Just the way my ideal man would be.

I sighed with dreamy eyes as I remembered how handsome he looked earlier in his school uniform, wearing his infamous serious facade. I tapped the long rectangular table with the pen in my right hand as I facepalmed myself. However, my thoughts were immediately disrupted as Philip started imitating the person behind this publication-cutting-off shenanigans.

Philip bowed gently and sarcastically as 'the' smile that girls called angelic ingenuinely ran across his lips before he spoke. "My name is Kim Joonmyeon. And I would like to dissolve your team and your publication." His voice sounded unnaturally soft. He maintained the said facial expression throughout the sentence.

"Now that was just creepy," Hyejin chuckled in between the words of her statement. The rest also followed the gesture on reflex, laughing at the intervention.

Of course, Philip failed when he imitated Kim Joonmyeon.

The Kim Joonmyeon.

Kim Joonmyeon was one of those kinds who seemed 'pure' and sincere. Appearance-wise, his hair was always fashionably fixed. His uniform would always look like it had passed through the flat iron five times. He always wore his warm, gentle smile, which seemed pretty tiring to me that I couldn't even imagine how hard it might be for his facial muscles.

He was like an angel, just like what the girls said.

However, this was opposite of his image earlier in  the meeting. He had an unyielding, firm expression plastered on his face, although his tamed doe-like eyes didn't quite match this unusual serious expression. Just seeing him made me feel like I had been some notorious criminal for all the stories that I had published on TWT. Many girls were already head-over-heels for him. Which was one reason why I would not like him: too much competition.

The other reason: he just didn't appeal to me. He seemed too nice. 

Bland and pretty boring.

Too predictable. 

"It seems that The White Tablet has been down recently. If it weren't for the students, it would have been vanquished a long time ago. Since the school administration has already met up with the student council, I have convinced them that we should just cut the publication off. Besides, the things written there are pretty much useless and nonsensical. Rumors and gossips are the last things that this school needs. You, Seo Myunjae, should know better as the editor-in-chief of the publication." 

I remembered the words he told us…actually, I think he merely directed those to me.  I couldn't help but contradict those statements of his. I would say he was right about the students being the reason why The White Tablet existed. But come on, everyone in the school loved reading it. They anticipated it. Some would even complain to me in the hallways why I hadn't been up with some juicy stories lately. Who would have known that students in such school loved such "useless & nonsensical" stuff? 

I bet even his friends read it. I bet even he, reads it. 

Just wait, Kim Joonmyeon. You will see one of the most shocking stories ever known in this century.

That is if we find one.

"Have you forgotten, Myunjae? Today is Friday." Hyejin picked up her bag from the seat on the left with respect to my own one. She glanced at me with partially knitted eyebrows as she slung the straps of her fuchsia pink, mid-sized backpack on the shoulders. 

Her voice quickly made me regain my thoughts. I think I just spaced out.  "Huh?" I could only mutter. Oh, that's right. Friday. School fair.

"Gosh! I already asked you for the third time," Hyejin gave me a short incredulous look, probably also wondering what was previously wandering inside my head. She picked up the long brown folder at the table in front of her seat and cradled it with her right forearm. With her head still turned back towards me, she started approaching the publication room door.

"Oh yes. Yes. Until then, dismiss," I stood up, my mind still half-functioning and half-empty as if I had just woken up in the morning. I gave my two notebooks from the table a quick shove inside of my backpack. I headed towards the door. I trailed after Hyejin.

As I lifted my gaze from the floor to my path, there Chanyeol and Baekhyun were, already waiting by the doorframe.

 

 

 

"What? They're cutting it off?! That's the only source of my entertainment in this stressful curriculum of ours." Chanyeol's exclamatory statement sounded ridiculous. The way the timbre of his deep voice resonated was disrupted with the amusing-slash-annoying surprised look on his face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter