038

T Is For Tattle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
BELLAGUM

Chapter Thirty Eight

 

It was almost seven in the evening. Monday. We had just arrived at this ski resort, which was a four-hour drive from Seoul. After eating dinner at six at the huge rest house, where the faculty and the students would be staying, we instantly headed out towards the bonfire that was, of course, set up by yours truly, the USHers. Yes, we only ate for about twenty minutes. I just hope we won’t be having gas…constipation…or some sort.

The students settled in a huge circle, sitting on wooden benches, chairs, and clean, polished logs, enclosing the bonfire in the middle. There are too many senior students anyway. The USHers, along with some good-hearted students who are kind enough to help us,  have  to be resourceful so we can accommodate everyone.  Although it was November-winter, the heat given off  by the flame in the middle was sufficient, though not completely helpful. But still, we were wearing thick winter clothes. Yes. Yes. I am wearing, yet again, the bumble-bee jacket my mom bought me.

The students were grouped, or simply grouped themselves, according to their organizations. I was really fortunate and happy though that my close friends, including my former TWT team and the derp twins, believed that I had nothing to do with selling the story to the external media. However, it couldn’t be helped. I could still feel some glares being shot at me. Well yeah, it was too much. But I also know my limit. I’m still human with conscience after all. Don’t worry, schoolmates, I’ll be getting to the bottom of this to prove my innocence.

Hence, here I was, seated among the ‘true organizers' of this event, on this polished wooden log. On my right were Sunny and Himchan, while on my left were Hyoyeon and Daehyun. Hyoyeon insisted to be as near Daehyun as possible so she could beat him instantly once he began blurting out another Celine Dion song. At least our ‘log’ seat is polished. You should thank us, other students. We’re kind enough to provide you with comfortable seats.

“Good evening, Seoul Elite Seniors. Welcome to the Annual Seniors’ Retreat,” the deputy principal started the opening programme for tonight. 

I supported myself up with my elbows resting on my thighs, facepalming myself.  Actually, I cannot help myself but grow sleepier. Hibernate. It’s really cold. And the flame from the bon fire is so calming to watch.

Mrs. Cheung continued with her ‘speech’. “It had been a long journey with classmates, with friends, and with people whom we considered more than family. We have gained so much knowledge in two years for the transferees, and learned so much in four years, for the loyal students.” She laughed shortly.

“Anyway, that’s not the point.” She continued. “We have learned so much more than academics and athletics. We came to know of much more important things required when we go beyond the walls of  Seoul Elite High. Cooperation. Integrity. Friendship. I remember when I was in….”

The students then grunted in chorus. Oh gosh. Here she goes again.

Well, of course, there was nothing that could be done. All we could do right now was listen…or maybe daydream or ‘nightdream’ about things since it’s nighttime anyway.

Looking at the flame in front of me, I was thinking of lasagna and detergents…and lasagna once again, being cooked on that bonfire. I wonder how many servings of lasagna can be cooked using that huge flame.

However, my ‘lasagna daydreaming’ was disrupted when I saw the organization-slash-group of students seated just directly opposite of the USHers. It was the soccer team. I just wished we had done some kind of a seating arrangement prior to this event. And now, we…I…would be stuck avoiding them with my glance.

I noticed Kris, Sehun and Yixing seated consecutively with one another, and they were busy…not listening…but subtly laughing at something as they continued glancing around the circle. I realized they were targeting students who were almost or completely asleep as of the moment. The derp twins were also laughing with the three cocky rodents as they proceeded talking and observing the students. It was not just actually the soccer team who were doing some annoying deeds right now. Everyone seemed to be having some hidden businesses being done. Some were stealthily glancing at their phones from their pockets. Even the geeks had some small kind of paper that they were looking at from time to time…probably memorizing some formulas or elements from the periodic table. I could also see Luhan, who was seated among the Math Club members at the left side of the circle with respect to my position, fishing out a small rubix cube from his pocket, hiding it every now and then…and Hyejin…well yeah, she was half-dozing off with a palm on her face.

“Such disrespectful idiots.” I heard Sunny mutter beside, seemingly also noticing the other students and their past-time acts at the moment.

I landed my gaze…consciously or unconsciously…at Kim Joonmyeon, who was seated on the opposite side, one o' clock of my spot. He had the fringe of his dark brown hair styled sidewards, mysteriously yet alluringly framing his face. He was wearing a casual black winter jacket, which looks really expensive to me, jeans and sneakers. He was slightly leaning forward on his seat, with his forearms settled on his thigh, hands clasped in front of him. He was seriously focused listening to the deputy principal, not even darting a gaze towards his 'idiotic' teammates. 

However, as if he noticed that someone was observing him, he shifted his cold and stern glance to me. The moment he did, I immediately redirected my gaze somewhere else. Aish, now he thinks I’m some kind of a stalker or something. But I can’t help it. He looks really good right now, to think that I’m not even drunk to think such.

I realized that Sunny was starting to become uneasy and troubled. He was looking at Himchan on her right. Himchan looked so much anxious than her, patting his pockets, as if he lost something. 

“Himchan, will you stop moving? You’re creating a disturbance.” Sunny spoke in a half-whispering, half-commanding tone.
“Oh no. I think I lost it.” Himchan answered, still distraught, as he looked behind the log and under the wooden bench, where some of the Dance Club members were seated.

“Just find it later. You’re causing a turmoil right now.” Sunny hushed Himchan up.
“No. I have to. Or it’s gonna escape.” Himchan now kneeled, peering at the next bench after the one on his right.

“What the heck.” The other Dance Club members now noticed Himchan peering under their seats. 
“What a loser.”
“What the hell are you looking at?”
“Hey. Sit back, will ya?”

The Dance Club members were almost whispering cusses to him.

I faced Himchan, tapping him on the back once. “What have you lost anyway-”

The people on the other side of the circle suddenly started shouting and leaping from their seats, clearing away from their area. Particularly at the soccer team’s area.

“Shi.t.”
“F.uck.”
“RAT!”
“KILL IT!”
“Shi.t.”

Some soccer members were huddled in groups standing on their seats. Some even went far toward the leftmost and rightmost area of the circle. Kris, Sehun, and Yixing were hugging one another as they continued leaping. The derp twins and some other soccer members were also doing the same. However, Kim Joonmyeon looked like he wasn’t bothered at all as he stood up. He just glanced sternly at his teammates.

“Stuart.” Himchan expressed in a delighted tone as he went towards the opposite side of the circle. He stooped down at that area and went to get something small, fuzzy and white from under one of the chairs.

It was a hamster. A cute, harmless hamster.

“What the heck? Himchan brought his hamster?!” Hyoyeon spat, whispering beside me.

It was funny though. It was just a hamster. Well, I guess karma was indeed doing its work today. These  rodents are afraid of their own kind. Pathetic. How about that for all those lizard pranks?

The other students, even the faculty members just laughed at their expressions. Ironic. The tough soccer champs panicked because of some little gerbil that looks like an adorable ball of fur.

The group-huddled soccer members immediately realized what they were doing and suddenly let go of one another, coughing once while straightening their clothes because of the awkwardness, and because they said…I think…five kinds of curse words in a minute, with the faculty members hearing it.

“…okay. Looks like that’s the signal to wrap up my speech.” The deputy principal expressed. “I’m hungry anyway. So now let’s proceed with the programme.”

The students clapped and cheered because of her ‘mind-blowing’ speech, and  simply because the speech was over.

 

 

After almost half an hour of some experience-sharing of a number of students about their stay at Seoul Elite High, the programme for the night ended. So much for an ‘opening programme’. Thanks, Daehyun. The faculty members, or the oldies, left the bonfire area to proceed back to the rest house. However, the students, being the lively and ‘partying’ people of the generation, stayed around the bonfire.

And yes, we were eating again. Hotdogs. Marshmallows. I have to give my sincerest gratitude to Hyoyeon. This is my favourite part of the night.

The winter sky had become much darker…or perhaps had become much night-like, though there were lesser number of stars in sight. The breeze had become much colder, with the nearby pine tree leaves rustling, just beside the area of the bonfire. 

The Young Musicians’ Club brought out some guitars and beatbox, which they were carrying earlier, and they started playing some soothing acoustic remake of a popular song. 

Oh wait that’s right. It's We Can’t Stop in the version of Boyce Avenue.

Some of the students stood up, particularly the high school couples, and ‘kidding’ bromance couples, and started dancing to the acoustic melody being played.

I didn’t mind them as I eyed the pack of huge white marshmallows, inside a plastic bag settled on a table near the Theater Club members, beside the Daehyun. I immediately called Daehyun’s attention as he continued munching some chips from the junk food bag he was holding. 

He raised both of his eyebrows as he looked enquiringly at me.
I pointed at the white plastic bag and Daehyun easily got my message. “Marshmallow.” I mouthed.

He handed me the pack and I cheered mentally upon receiving it. Even before I could open the pack, I noticed Sunny nudging me on my right side.

“Three o’ clock.” She whispered.

What…
What 'three o’ clock’?

I just looked at her, confused. She prompted me to look at that direction.

It was Do Kyungsoo, seemingly…approaching me. 

Why is he coming toward me…yet again?

“Hey, Daehyun,” I called him to pretend I was busy-occupied. However, Daehyun stood up and headed where the drinks and fruit juices would be.
“Sunny. Hey, Sunny.” I was about to tap Sunny but she just ran off, chasing Himchan since the latter probably did something funny again.

I just focused opening  the marshmallow pack and faced outside the circle, shifting on my seat, away from the bonfire.
Then I felt a hand gently tapping me once on my right shoulder, behind me.

“Seo Myunjae,” I heard Kyungsoo’s voice.
I turned my head back, shifting my body sideward to face up at him. I gave a small smile toward him.

“May I have this dance?”

Still confused and feeling indecisive, I eyed the students happily eating and conversing with one another, the couples mellowly dancing with their partners, and the bonfire, still alive and flaming red.

At the opposite side, he once again came into view. Kim Joonmyeon.

However, he didn’t even look troubled by the fact that Do Kyungsoo was standing in front of  me and was asking me for a dance.
He was just talking and meekly laughing along his teammates. Like he didn’t care a bit. Like it wasn’t affecting him in any way.

“Right now, you’re on your own.”

With my heart clenching, I just smiled up at Kyungsoo and placed my hand on his open palm. I stood up and he directed me toward a spot on the right side of the circle, in reference to my previous position. He gave me a genuine small smile and he spun me around in position. 

Kim Joonmyeon took hold of my right hand. I suddenly felt my body spinning in position once.

Kyungsoo engirdled his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to his body.

I was, once more, trapped in his enveloping hold, with both of his arms now around my waist.

Kyungsoo continued gazing down at me as he placed my arms around his neck, sensing I was remaining unmoved from my position.

I stared at him. Dark Brown Eyes. Do Kyungsoo.

Kim Joonmyeon.

Kyungsoo muttered. “Seo Myunjae, I still like you.”

 “Princess, I think….I like you.”
“Seo Myunjae, I think I like you.”

I immediately brought my hands down, back to my sides. What have you done to me, Kim Joonmyeon?

With his arms still around my waist, I tried retracting my vision away from Kyungsoo’s. However, I don’t know if fate is playing tricks with me, I just had to land my gaze on that guy with the usual stern, cold expression. Dark brown hair with hints of red.

Kim Joonmyeon was just firmly looking at me, straight in the eyes from his spot, still on his seated position.

Unreadable dark brown eyes.
Maybe tamed. 
Maybe serious.

Maybe pained.
I was not sure.

"...princess...could you be mine for tonight?"

He suddenly broke eye contact with me. Kim Joonmyeon immediately stood up from his seat and walked away from the circle, heading back toward the rest house. The other soccer members glanced at one another and attempted to call him back.

However, he did not spare a glance back at them...back at me.

 

 

“Okay. Everyone come closer.” The deputy principal called the still-exhausted students in front of her. Make that ‘in front of us'.

Now that I had thought about it, I realized that not being able to participate in the Clash had its perks as well. First, we wouldn’t even shed a drop of sweat doing the challenges. Though, I have to admit that setting up the props and supplies for the challenges can also be tiresome. Second, we would only be supervising the participants. Third, this is the best part, wouldn’t be called ‘losers’ for losing a challenge. Because, obviously, we will lose (not being pessimistic, just being realistic here), especially that we’re not that legitimately ath

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter