033 (III)

T Is For Tattle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  PART THREE BellaGum     Chapter Thirty Three

 

"~Geu dae man eul al get seo nae soom ee..."
"Sis. Open the trunk."
"~...DA HAN DAE DOH ..."
"Sis!"
"~....CAUSE YOU ARE THE ONE...!!!"
"SIIIIIIIIIS...OPEN THE TRUNNNNNKKKK!"

A week of Halloween break had just passed by. Please, don't ask about my Halloween Break. I was almost sent to the nearest hospital because of my cousins and lovely sister scaring me to death. 

I knew it was parents' duty to drive their kids to the dorm. Or maybe I'm the only one with that kind of mentality. I was just too lazy to commute on my own. They said they had to look after granny's dog while granny's on a vacation in Hawaii. (granny let me name it when I was still in freshman year, hence, he was named Scooby. Scooby Do. I think you can guess why such last name.) Also, I have a quite voluminous luggage in hand. So here I was, 'accompanied' by my self-proclaimed professional columnist-slash-sister back to the dorm building using her white Audi Sedan. Her sweat and effort.

The drive from home to the dorm was approximately thirty minutes. It was a Sunday afternoon and the traffic was not that bad compared to normal working days in Seoul. It was also approximately thirty minutes that I had to endure listening to her singing voice as if a live turkey was being directly thrown into the oven. Sorry for that sadistic thought...but that's just how it sounds like. I think Daehyun will even sing better than her. I was just glad that mom and dad gave an objection when she said jokingly she wanted to be an idol when she was in the eighth grade. Thank heavens. If I didn't know better, I think she was just trying to find a way to meet Shinhwa, which was pretty popular back in her days. Yep, she's that old. However, she would probably kill me if she heard me saying that 'she's old'. Just five years older than me. No, let's remove the term 'just' at the beginning of that sentence.

I think that song by Shinhwa...what was that...'Perfect Man'? I don't know. For Snoopy's sakes, it had been three times on repeat throughout the ride along with the other tracks. You don't know how overly excited and ecstatic I am to get out of the car once the dorm building comes into view.

So here I was, standing behind her car, in front of the trunk. I could still hear her squawking voice with the car windows rolled down. To the passersby, we're not related in any way.

"Seo Myunhwa! Open the trunk!"

Then I heard the engine turning off, with the driver seat door opening, and out came the long-light-brown haired (Dyed. Not natural...as if) Hollywood-superstar-wannabe.

"Excuse me, young lady. Are you using a tone on me?" She removed her shades as she walked towards me, and stopped just beside the trunk, placing a palm on it. She was only wearing casual clothing. Trust me, she goes all out in fashion during weekdays.

"And did you just call me by my full name?" She continued asking.
"Uh...no. It was probably Shinhwa's Eric's voice recorded in the background of the song." I replied. Yeah right.

"Whatever, Girfield." She just sighed once at me as she opened the trunk with a click on the remote-device-like key of her car. "There. Now go get your luggage." 

I carried the luggage by the handle. Oh gosh. What did mom place in this bag? Rocks? I felt like a heavyweight lifter carrying this.

I darted a glance at my older sister. I settled my bag on the cemented road, waiting for her to help me carry the bag even up to the lobby.

She just smiled mockingly at me and crossed her arms in front of her chest.
Geez. Thanks for the help, sis. 

"Don't call me by my mere full name. I would be more than glad if you just address me as M. Or 'Emma'." She uttered matter-of-factly. 

Actually, she wouldn't be bothered if I called her by her given name only. It was also fine for her at times when I didn't call her 'unnie', because she preferred her nickname, M or 'Emma'. Such a frustrated Hollywood-wannabe. And yes, she's also a huge fan of Emma Stone.

We continued staring at each other, without blinking, as if waiting which one of us would surrender first and carry the luggage inside the dorm building. Then my eyes started watering.

"Cockroach!"

I leaped high and...blinked.
Aaargh!

Cheater.

"Looks like you need to practice, Girfield." She smiled as she closed the trunk, put on  her sunglasses once more, and headed towards the driver's seat.

Aish. So much for a likable, lovable older sister.

I started pulling the trolley luggage towards the dorm building entrance when I heard the car's engine turn on once again. 

"Bye. See you later. Love you, Girfield." I heard her speak loudly.

I turned back to bid farewell as well and saw her face through the rolled down window. "Yeah you too, Emma Stoned. And stop calling me 'Girfield'."

She just gave a smug and refocused again on the road, with another Shinhwa song playing inside the car.
Before I could enter the dorm building, I heard her call me again. 

"Hey, Girfield."

I glanced back and shot her a look. Seriously, others might hear that nickname.

"What?" I silently mouthed at her. This luggage is doing a great job at hurting my arm. This better be important, Emma Stoned.

She leaned towards the rolled down window once again, holding the small, brown paper bag in hand. "You forgot mom's lasagna."

Now, the whole of Seoul knew my nickname. And the origin of that nickname. My sister was kind of 'creative' to create a 'girl' version of the name Garfield, the cat who loved lasagna. Hence, the painstaking sound of the nickname Girfield.

I ran towards the car, gave a sarcastic smile to 'Emma', who just said "you're welcome" in a teasing manner, and walked back to my luggage. I heard her car zoom away in an instant as I opened the glass doors of the dorm building.

Okay, I'm back again-
What the...

It only took a couple of steps for me to notice that the lobby area, or basically the first floor of ‘the Rodent Palace’ dorm building, was completely trashed. As in really trashed. It looked like a heck of a Halloween Break just occurred in this building. It would be normal for houses to get egged and ‘tissue-papered’ during Halloween, but goodness…this seriously looks like an aftermath of War of the Worlds.

There were paintball splats all over the wall, the lobby desk, the floor, and even on some of the lounge. Of various different hues and colors. With the maintenance people extremely busy in cleaning the messed up former "warzone".

Still having a hard time pulling my trolley behind me, I approached Mr. Jo and the other attendants on their desks. They look really weird…because they’re wearing raincoats right now, as in right in front of me, inside this building, during this pre-winter time of the year, and also, the rainy season is over if I might add.

“Mr. Jo, what happened here?” I asked him immediately. “And why are you wearing raincoats if you don't mind me asking?”

He just smiled at me, still professionally, with all the composure he could show. “It was just some Halloween event. And the raincoats merely serve as protection.”

What the heck is he talking about? That’s just…weird.

“Okay?” I muttered unsurely.
I don’t believe him. It’s like a freaking military ambush just happened here. “Thanks, by the way.”

Mr. Jo just replied with another smile and a bow.

I approached one of the elevators…with the luggage….ugh…don’t wanna remind myself. It’s too heavy...and I pressed the button. After approximately a minute, the door opened. 

A figure wearing dark-colored jeans, white shirt, and dark brown overcoat, based on what I was seeing with my lateral view, made a way for me as he still stood inside the elevator, near the elevator number pad, as if holding the door open for me, as I still struggled with my heavy luggage. 

I bowed without looking up at him and continued pulling my luggage inside the elevator. 

Oh, crap. 
Not this.  

One of the wheels seemingly got stuck, particularly in that tiny gap between the first-floor ground and the elevator floor.

I’m wonder woman. I can do this. Not really.

I continued pulling it but it seemed like the wheel itself was going to break soon if I gave the luggage another pull.

Just cooperate, Mr. Luggage. I tugged at the handle once more.
No. no. It’s gonna break-

That was when I noticed a hand being placed on the other handle on top of the luggage and without any difficulty, he lifted the luggage up and settled it beside me inside the elevator.

Oh, my. Such strong and kind person.

I lifted up my head to thank the figure who had just helped me and smiled. “Thank you very-”

I unconsciously stopped mid-sentence. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in front of me.
Is this even possible?

The figure in front of me highly resembled...Kim Joonmyeon.
Feature-wise. Extreme resemblance.
With the same vibe of being stern and charismatic.

His hair was dyed light brown, fringe fashionably swept on his forehead sidewards, giving a vibe of mystery. However, he was taller than Kim Joonmyeon. Probably, a bit more professional in the aura. Also, maybe, a little more intimidating.

And he was taller than Kim Joonmyeon. Really.
Not to demean Kim Joonmyeon but…this figure in front of me was indeed taller than him, no doubt.

He flashed a closed small smile at me, before releasing the button on the number pad, and fluidly made his way out of the elevator.

I pressed ‘ten’, which was the only movement I could do as of the moment.

Is that even possible? It was kind of freaky.

 


It was already eight in the evening and I had just finished arranging and unloading some of my clothes from the luggage. No, actually, I don’t have that many clothes that it took me seven hours unpacking ever since I arrived at my room. I just rushed some…okay…'all’ of my homework that was supposed to be done during the break. Why was homework created anyway? It really disrupted quality bonding time with family at times during breaks. Kill-joy. 

I suddenly felt hungry. Wait. Right. Lasagna. Mom’s lasagna is the best. Not really. Only second-to-the-best. The Italian restaurant down the road still had the best lasagna. Sorry, mom. Just being honest here. You always tell us not to lie, right?

I opened the fridge, got the lasagna out, and headed towards the microwave oven. I had just plugged the device to the switch when….

You’ve got to be kidding me.

A black-out?!
What is this some late Halloween-

Crap.

My heart started beating faster. I suddenly remembered that one movie we watched during Halloween Break. Actually, we watched many films. But only one was able to stick like glue to my brain. Insidious.
You know. That movie where they find out that it’s not the house that’s haunted but the boy instead. 
That’s not the scary part actually.

Besides the various cusses that my guy cousins were hissing all through-out the movie, it was the Black Bride, who scared me the most.

I couldn’t move all of a sudden. I couldn’t turn around to search for my phone and use it for lighting.

Okay, I’ll just close my eyes and search blindly in this pre-winter cold…dark…room. No light…black….black bridge….black bright…yes…just think of those words…
Black Bride.
Aish.
No. Scary thoughts, be gone.

Maybe this building should also place emergency lighting inside each room, not just in the hallways.

Okay, I’ll put my good memory to great use right now. I know every maze in this room. Or I think I’ll just go to the hallway where there is a little bit of lighting at least from the emergency lamps. Now where is the door?

I continued walking, with eyes still closed.
Think of happy thoughts…
Just keep walking…walking…

Wait. I should be by the dining table right now-

“Ouch!” Stupid dining table leg. I continued walking to the door, I just wish. I slightly flinched as I opened my eyes, clutching onto my chest when I heard...

Knock.
Double knock.

Black Bride?
Aish. You’re scaring yourself, Myunjae.

“Baekhyun?” I spoke loudly. “Is that you?”

It probably is.
After all, we live on the same floor.

There was no response and the knocking didn’t cease.

“Byun Baekhyun, is that you?” I repeated.

Knocking. Why knock when there is door buzzer?
“Uh…Baekhyun…it isn’t funny.” I uttered, partially stuttering.

Crap. I have to find my phone. I ran back to the couch where my phone would be, or the comfort room...or bedroom…I don’t know. It’s dark in here.

I stumbled and rolled and tripped. Ouch! Crap! Argh! Aish, so many things placed around here. It's my fault for not cleaning up immediately after unpacking my things.

I reached, or more like landed on, the couch. Without letting a second pass by, I texted Baekhyun and Chanyeol separately. Only Chanyeol replied: I’m still at my house.

I flinched once again. Aish. I’m sure this is Baekhyun. You’re dead to me, Byun Baekhyun.

Knocking.
Increasing in pace.

“Baekhyun, I know it’s you.” I reached for something…anything…beside the couch. Ha! Just what I needed. An umbrella. An umbrella to beat this derp in front of my dorm room.

I walked towards the door with my phone in hand to light my path, and an umbrella just to be sure.

Knocking.

“Baekhyun, puh-lease. This is so you.” Now that I remember it, this is what he did last Halloween, except it was not during a black-out. “Stop with the prank, derp. I’m g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter