020 .

T Is For Tattle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PEP RALLY AFTER CLASS!

 

 

 

 

CAPTAIN HULCK

Chapter Twenty

 

"Watch your step."

Do Kyungsoo repeated the statement as we walked towards the twelfth level of the crowded audience bleachers. He assisted me, walking sidewards, monitoring my steps. He looked at my eyes shortly. Oh my gosh. I heard him heave a small laugh to himself as I struggled to excuse myself in the midst of the hyperactive students.

"How much for the popcorn?" A student from the right side of the bleachers near the isle stood up, going towards the popcorn girl at the first-level bleacher. "Excuse me."

The student tried making his way beside me. However, as I provided a small walkway for him, I think I stepped on some kind of a backpack settled on the left side of the cemented stair.

I almost tripped.

Do Kyungsoo immediately held my right hand, preventing me from falling.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Even before the soccer match starts, I have long been dead due to a heart attack.
Goodness, this is really dangerous. Ovary-explodingly dangerous.

"Are you okay?" Do Kyungsoo asked me, slightly scrunching up his eyebrows. He looked at where I was standing and the male student who went past me.
"Yes. I'm fine. No damages done." I kept my face straight. He just replied a closed, relieved smile at me. Oxygen tank, please.

He stopped when we reached the twelfth-level bleachers and faced me. "Ladies first."

I'm totally expecting this. He's really a gentleman. Ideal guy, indeed.

Still trying very hard to keep my composure, I just smiled and started excusing myself from the students who were already seated. After passing by approximately seven students, we found vacant seats. Our vacant seats.

I slid my bag off of my back, sat down, and settled it on my lap. I fidgeted on its strap. Do Kyungsoo sat beside me. I would tell you that my heart was beating like a leopard pursuing its prey. A student on his left provided a space for another student, probably his friend, making Kyungsoo squeeze onto me more. Shock. Electricity moment. Seriously, I could feel his warm right arm against my own left arm. 

"I guess we should endure being squeezed like this." He gazed at me once more.
"No, it's fine." I simply replied with a small smile.

O.M.G. The BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!

Watching soccer games was not really quite enjoyable for me. However, with Do Kyungsoo beside me, even watching the most heartbreaking movie on television would be extremely fun.

"Ladies and gentlemen," one of the two announcers started speaking.
"Are you ready for the most awaited match of the season?"

The whole stadium cheered and grew noisier at the same time.

"First. The fiercest creatures of Itaewon. Let's call on...."
"Itaewon High's Gray Wolves."

The commentator proceeded. "Looks like this is a rewind of last season's championship game, with the same roster and same teams facing off. Mike, do you think The Wolves will be beating The Tigers for a payback now?"

From one of the stadium accessions, out came the opposing team in their gray-black soccer attire, led by their wolf mascot. That's a scary mascot. The other school loudly chanted the name Yoon Doojoon, their star player. He was really popular even in other schools because of his mad, breath-taking soccer skills. He was nicknamed "The Beast". I haven't really seen him play, so conclusions will come later.

"All I can say is that The Wolves have been tremendously improving and evolving ever since the start of the season. Their win against the Hongdae Vipers from the unchanging tied score during the quarterfinals was quite surprising. But for now, whichever team wins, we are sure that this game will quite be a legend in the history of Seoul Soccer Cup, High School Division." The other commentator answered.

The cheers subsided gradually.

"And now, the defending champions for five years straight,"
"Roaring once...Roaring twice...."

"Roar it up for the Seoul. Elite. Tigers!"

The school's soccer team came out - the stadium erupted in louder cheers for the home team. There they were - Shoot the Tiger. Chanyeol. Baekhyun. Kris. Sehun. Jongin. Yixing. And, the other soccer members.

But darn, really, these rodents on the soccer field don't suit the term 'rodents' right now. They're like unreachable celebrities. With those suave and cool expressions on their faces. And, with all these fans cheering for them. 

"Seoul Elite Tigers have been keeping an elite roster of players up until now. It would be hard to focus watching a specific player since all of the members are highly skilled and equally good. But of course, with the soccer captain and star player, MVP Kim Joonmyeon guarding the title for their team, the Wolves might have a hard time bagging it. But then again, with the completely different playing styles and tactics of the two teams, predicting the outcome will be quite difficult."

And then there he was.
The last in line to come out.
Star player and soccer captain.
Kim Joonmyeon.

With the other members throwing their arms up as if they had already won, his attitude was comparably different than his co-players.
Even from this distance, I could see him only giving a small smile. He just simply waved sternly at the students cheering for their team.

It was unlike the first time I watched the soccer game up close - he was much enthusiastic greeting the crowd back then.

Maybe he's tired of all those soccer practices and warm-ups for this game?
Why does it even matter?

It took about a couple of minutes for the students to settle down prior to the match's start. Should I act like these loud students cheering for our team? But no. Why will I even pretend to like the game? Hyejin gave a "tip" earlier that Kyungsoo might not like boisterous girls. Oh right, during that 'SC room incident' before, he also said the same thing. But still, I should smile and show a bit of interest....he might think I'm not liking his company. Because I OBVIOUSLY DO! 

"Do you want anything to drink?"

"Huh?" I turned to look at Do Kyungsoo...holy crap!

His face is way too close to mine!

Thump. Thump. Thump.
We should watch soccer games more often. Particularly, from crowded bleachers.

I immediately retracted my face away. I looked down at my backpack.

Awkward moment.

I glanced at him once again. "No. I'm fine." I smiled. Breathe. Breathe.

The soccer match started.

It was a relaxed game...for the first three minutes. However, as both teams gradually obtained momentum, that was when things began heating up. No. It's still boring.

Boring...boring...

Yes...yes!

The ball is getting to our goal and there goes....crap...Itaewon got hold of it.
No. no...they're gonna score, they're gonna score....yes!

Sehun stirred the ball away from them. Woohoo...go lisp guy! Oh Thehun, fight!

Thunder roar.
Yeah, meet the wrath of the Tigers!

The ball got passed onto Baekhyun...yeah! Go, Byun Baekhyun! Proud mama watching here! Yep...yep...keep going!

I realized I was getting immersed and hyped up with the game, among the energetic crowd of Seoul Elite High.

Then noticed I was standing.
Crap. This is just embarrassing. I slowly sat down once again. I observed Do Kyungsoo on my left with my lateral view. I noticed he just peered at me, smiling to himself. Gosh, that was just really embarrassing. Control. Self-control.

Baekhyun kicked. Running. To the goal...to the goal! He passed the ball.

To the soccer captain, Kim Joonmyeon.

Two opponents closely guarded him. 

Yeah right, Gray Wolves. You'll have a hard time stealing that ball from him.

He kicked and kicked.

WHISTLE!

The commentator spoke, "This is unexpected but...that was a foul called down there...on...." the commentator seemingly waited for the referee to signal the number of the soccer player. The huge plasma screen focused on a specific soccer player in a blue jersey.

"A foul by number ten...Kim Joonmyeon."

The crowd groaned in disapproval and disappointment. and fudge were the cuss words I heard in our vicinity by other students.

One of the referees handed Kim Joonmyeon a yellow card.

"That was the first time he committed a foul. Ever." A student on the bleachers behind us mocked once more. "What the heck is happening to him?"
"Yeah. I mean between the two teams, I was expecting The Wolves to commit fouls more, or the first foul for this matter." Another responded.

I may not be a fan of soccer but...foul and soccer captain  are never really a tandem.
What the heck is happening to their team?

The ball was first kicked from the outbounds, in favor of the Wolves.

Thunder roar.
It's gonna rain again. I have a bad feeling about this.

The Wolves smoothly passed the ball to each other, going towards their goal. However, Kim Jongin got the ball. Yes...that's right! Kick, Tan Guy! Show them who the Tigers are.

He passes the ball to Chanyeol, who kicked it to Kris.

Thunder roar.

Then, I realized I was standing up once again, with my fist now in mid-air.

Shoot.

I immediately sat down and gave a small embarrassed, awkward grin at Kyungsoo. He might be thinking I'm some uncivilized Neanderthal over here.

"Seo Myunjae, don't worry about it."

I turned to look at him and he flashed me a gentle, reassuring smile.

"I think it's actually cute."

Oh, my gracious heavens.
He just called me cute. Or...aish...my embarrassing gesture.
But even so, I should take note of this special event.
Soccer finals: Do Kyungsoo said the word 'cute' to me.

I just smiled awkwardly at him, bowing in apology once. I shifted my gaze towards the game once again.

Thunder roar.

Yixing, who was now near the goal, passed the ball to Kim Joonmyeon.
For sure, we will be gaining a point now.

WHISTLE!

Then all of the students, even those from the other school in bleachers, stood up in surprise and disbelief while watching the scene in front of us.

The male students gasped profanities while the female students clutched their hands onto their mouths in shock.

Kim Joonmyeon pushed one of the opponents, who was guarding him ever since

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter