034*

T Is For Tattle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
BELLAGUM

Chapter Thirty Four

 

Sighs. Back to school again.

*I just wished the government, or the school administration for this matter, extended the break. I was just not ready yet to be faced with various lectures and the speaking voice of Mr. Noh during math time. I don’t really understand why numbers hate me. Just approximately two months and then I would be out of high school and off to college, majoring in the thing that I loved to do the most, though math would still be a component of the general education curriculum. Good thing, I had taken care of my college application and the entrance examination months ago. I just wish myself good luck. Really. Good luck. 

Although the morning breeze had gotten colder at this time of the year, with the winter season on its onset, I was glad that it was not enhancing my sleepiness as of the moment…because I have the tendency to ‘hibernate’ when the climate is cold. I just want to lay down on my bed and sleep all day…aish…I’m getting sleepy with these thoughts. I also had to thank my mom for buying me this thick winter jacket, which I was now wearing on top of my school uniform, to shield myself from the cold atmosphere. I just couldn’t decode why she bought a yellow-black colored one. I looked like a bumble bee. 

Also, my sleepiness wasn’t increasing in intensity because I really had a good sleep last night. At least, Hulck didn’t try to make a move on me or else, he will be going to school this morning with bruises made by my umbrella. However, when I woke up at five, he wasn’t beside my bed anymore. I was just still wondering what time the electricity came back running again though. Anyway, he might had been suffering from neck and back aches because of his sleeping position last night. But no. I still would not let him sleep on my bed because, first, he’s a guy. Second, he’s ‘somewhat erted’, though still unproven ‘in action’ because this trait just manifests in his smirks and remarks…or maybe we should just include why he always likes being so touchy and ‘huggy’. Third, he’s a guy.

Back to school indeed. With quite a number of students walking in the same direction as mine going to school. Baekhyun was still, probably, taking a bath, because he always arrived at school ten minutes before the bell rang, which was pretty normal during non-soccer-cup days. The same went for Chanyeol, though I knew he was just being dragged by Baekhyun’s laziness. However, more often than not, the three of us headed back to the dorms together after school. It has been like that ever since. However, right now, it was still thirty minutes before the bell rang in estimation.

I fished my phone out of my pocket to check for any messages as I strolled down the sidewalk lazily, the same time my grocery list fell from my pocket. Yes, I need to buy some snacks to hog during my free time and feminine supplies at the grocery later after classes.

I picked the white paper up.
However, I noticed a student standing still slightly far behind me.

Black sneakers.

I took a straight stance once again, placed the paper back inside my pocket, and turned around to face the student.

Kim Joonmyeon had his body turned towards me, but his head was facing the other side of the road. As if doing some kind of weird sightseeing, with a blank expression, and with his hands inside his pockets. He was also wearing a thick black overcoat on top of the school blazer. His hair was styled in the usual fringe-up manner.

I was facing him, however, he still did not look at me, with glance still far off the other side of the road.

“Are you following me?” I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest, with my phone still in one hand.

He shifted his gaze at me, noticing for the first time (as if) that I was there in front of him.

“Oh. You’re there. I didn’t even notice you.” He stated blankly.

He continued. “Besides, why would I even follow you? We go to the same school. It’s just natural I take this path.”

I know. I just need an opening statement to ask him.

“We...well…” I stuttered for a short while. “…why did you stop walking when I stopped walking?”
“I haven’t really noticed before how beautiful the park is at the other side of the road.” He replied sternly.

Psh. Right, Hulck.

“Anyway. If you’re gonna walk to school, just pass me by quickly.” Because I am still feeling lazy walking.

He didn’t reply. Still gazing at that side of the road.

“Suit yourself.” I shrugged at him as I spun around and continued walking through the sidewalk to the school.

Let’s see if he’s following me.

I stopped abruptly and faced back once more.

Kim Joonmyeon was now looking at the ground beneath his feet. Just about a couple of meters from my spot.

“Seriously, Kim Joonmyeon?” I uttered, with furrowed eyebrows.

He still did not give a reply as he glanced shortly at the opposite side of the road once again.

I faced forward.
I walked. Faster.

I stopped much more quickly than earlier.
And faced him.

He was now looking at the passing vehicles on the road, with hands still inside the pockets of his black overcoat. He was still maintaining a distance of approximately two meters away from me.

See? The distance between us is not even changing.
Not following me, huh?
Let’s see about that ‘not following me’.


I walked past him as he just looked seriously at me with a questioning expression. I stopped about a meter behind him.

“There.” I spoke, smirking mentally. Now what can you do about that, Mr. Smarty Pants? "You’re free to walk to the school without a hindrance in front of you.”

He looked back at me.
Then he started walking past me, standing behind me as I just followed him with my gaze, facing him.

“No. Ladies first.” He gave me a mocking kind of smile.
“No way. Presidents always go first, right?” I spat his taunting tone back at him as I walked past him, standing behind him once again.

He was about to face me but I stopped him as I held the taller figure’s broad shoulders in front of me.
Looks like Captain’s been hitting the gym. Gosh…what am I saying?

He glanced to his side and I noticed him smirk. “Don’t tell me you want another piggyback ride.”
That was when he gripped my hands that were placed on his shoulders.

“Uh…no. No way.”

It will be more embarrassing. I mean when the previous piggyback ride happened, it was night and the streets were almost deserted.

Aish. Why am I even competing with this evil genius?

“Fine.” I sighed, annoyed. “I’ll go ahead.”
Then, I’ll run in an instant. Let’s see if he can keep up. I’m a self-proclaimed athletic runner, Pete’s sakes.

He released my hand that he was gripping above his shoulders. However, I could not help but notice the barrel tip of the familiar paintball gun peeking out his black backpack.

I walked, stopped beside him and looked up at him. “Uh…why do you have that ‘pathetic’ paintball gun inside your bag?”
He gazed down at me and replied sternly. “I thought you are gonna walk ahead of me?”

Argh!
But it’s not like I like walking side by side with him anyway. Okay...maybe a bit.

I rolled my eyes at him and quickly walked forward, making sure I was at least more than a meter ahead of him.

Then I heard him speak. “Nothing. For defense…and offense.”

So they must be the ones responsible for that ‘paintball war aftermath’ in the dorm building.
I bet his rodent goons are included in this absurdity as well.

I stopped walking and turned around to face him once more. “Okay. You guys are becoming way too weird. Who are you assaulting anyway?”
He just flashed that signature small closed smile of his. “You guess.”
As if there’s a hidden meaning with his smile.

He continued smiling, that started looking like a smirk to me.
Wa…wait…
He’s not gonna…

Aish.

I scrambled onto my feet and ran towards the school. 

Darn Hulck and his pranks.

 


Although soccer cup season was over, I was still walking by myself from school to the dorm. Chanyeol and Baekhyun might have already gone to the dorms without me. It was almost seven in the evening and the USHers’ meeting had just finished. We discussed some final arrangements (yet again) for the annual seniors’ trip happening next week, particularly about the Tigers’ Clash.

The Tigers’ Clash is a series of three relay-type activities of increasing difficulty. By convention, the students are divided according to organizations. Of course, it will be unfair for those organizations with lesser number of members. Hence, organization alliance is allowed. It was just unfortunate…or rather fortunate…that the USHers and the Student Council (yet again…again…) wouldn’t be joining the games, because we were the ‘organizers’ of the events. Also, how can the USHers win against the stronger Tigers of the school? We’re the ‘planktons of the organization chain’, remember? We would be crushed in an instant once they stepped on us. Poor us. And if you were wondering, yes, Himchan suggested the ‘Pet Hamster Race’ but Hyoyeon just lifted him up in the air, holding him by the feet. Poor kid. Seriously, it’s not like everyone owns a pet hamster these days, Himchan. We would just be having another meeting since the rest of the 'mini-conference' proceeded with Hyoyeon just beating the Richard Simmons out of Himchan…and Daehyun, because he hip-ed again in front of Hyoyeon.

I think I was just halfway the path from the school to the dorm when I heard rustling sound of the trees beside this sidewalk. I mean, no doubt that it’s cold but it’s not even windy a tiniest bit. I stopped in my track and glanced back. 

I saw no one.

Sighs.
I’m guessing it’s just Baekhyun. Or Chanyeol.
And the newest addition to the list…Kim Joonmyeon. 

These creeps were not gonna scare me anymore. I started knowing better. They should too.

I just shrugged and continued striding towards the dorm. They’ll stop if I continue ignoring them. I was not in the mood to play. I was sleepy because I was tired and the night was chilly. I’m coming, my dear sweet, fluffy bed. 

Then I heard a single set of footsteps emerging behind me.

I may be sleepy but I was still Girfield the bully…if I wanted to be. I think.

I spun around.

“STOP FOLLOWI-”

It isn’t Chanyeol. Nor Baekhyun.
Nor Hulck.

“Hello, loser.”

Kim Jongin, in his school uniform, smirked at me.
Holding that rifle-size paintball gun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter