Surprisingly

Lifetime Happiness

AMBER’s POV

 

I ended up driving my friends to their home after the party. They were already drunk and I know they will surely get into an accident if I will let them drive their cars. Well, about Noona kissing me, I got totally shocked about her sudden action but I know she’s already drunk when we were dancing. Even my friends in America kiss me out of the blue when they get drunk so it’s no big deal for me. It’s already 3 a.m when I got home.

 

“Bed, I miss you so much!” I said to my bed after I flops my body on it.        

 

I relax my body and when I was about to doze off, I heard footsteps going up on the staircase. I opened my eyes and I think Krystal had just arrived. I heard the sound of her door when she shut it close. I shrugged it off and then close my eyes again.

 

“Good morning, young lady!” I greeted her the next morning when I saw her in our living room. I didn’t expect that she will wake up earlier than me.

 

“It’s already noon.” She said in a flat tone.

 

“Oh,good noon then!” I greeted her again with a cheerful smile.

 

She looked at me with a blank expression on her face.  I avoided her eyes by turning my head on the kitchen. I really feel hungry too at this time.

 

“I already order food. Just wait for a minute and it will be delivered any minute now.” She spoke which shifted my attention back at her.

 

“Well, I think I can wait that long.” I said to her and settled down on the living chair.

 

We always run out of the things to talk about. I don’t know why it’s always like this. We both ended up being quiet and wrapped in this awkward atmosphere. I think it’s because we really doesn’t talk long to each other that is why, we don’t know how to converse like how we used to when we were kids. The awkward silence was broke when our doorbell rang.

 

“I will get the door but can you get my wallet upstairs. It’s on the top of my drawer.” she said and she already head to the main door before I can say a word.

 

I hurriedly went upstairs to get her wallet. Like what she said, I saw it on top of her drawer. Her room has her scent spread inside. I grab her wallet and then head downstairs. I got surprise when I saw her holding a chocolate cake with lighted candles on it. She sings for me a birthday song in Korean.

 

“Belated happy birthday, Yiyun! I’m sorry if I forgot my promise as well as your birthday yesterday.” She spoke after she sang.

 

“Well, since you make up for it, hmmm, I accept your apology.” I told her with a grin and it made her smile.

 

“Now blow your candles. I’m already hungry! Don’t forget to make a wish” she demanded and she’s acting like a Princess again.

 

“Alright, Princess!” I answered her and playfully bow to her.

 

KRYSTAL’s POV

 

I didn’t expect that I will feel a tight squeeze in my heart when I saw Ailee-unnie kissed him. I know it is weird for me to feel it and I don’t understand why I felt that way when I saw them. I feel bad and annoyed to myself for forgetting the most important day in Amber’s life. He personally asked me to spend his birthday with me but I ended up screwing it up. So I decided to just celebrate it with him today. It’s better delayed than just do nothing to make it up to him.

 

“What did you wish?” I questioned him while we are eating a piece of cake in our dining table. We are sitting across with each other.

 

“It won’t come true if I will tell you.” He replied to me and I rolled my eyes on him.

 

“We all know that it is not true.” I retorted.

 

“Well, it’s better to play safe.” He stated and chuckled. I let out a scoffed in response to him.

 

“So…what did you do yesterday?” I asked  him which made him paused.

 

“I hang-out with Ailee-noona the entire day. And in the evening, we went into this club with my friends.”He replied to me and I feel the tight squeeze in my heart again.

 

“I bet you had so much fun yesterday!” I told him and faked a smile.

 

“My day was awesome!” he simply stated happily.

 

“I’m glad to hear that you still got an awesome day yesterday even if I ruined your original plan.”I said to him with a faint smile as I avoided his eyes.

 

“Well, you have your priorities in life and I understand it.” He told me which made me feel more bad and guilty. “Don’t worry about it Soojung. I still got more birthdays to come and I can still ask you to celebrate it with you.”he continued.

 

“But not alone anymore.” I muttered under my breath before I looked again to him and meet his eyes. “I guess I have to wait 364 days for that day to come.”  I said to him jokingly.

 

“Days quickly pass by in our time.”He answered and scoffed.  “Your birthday is coming soon. You will be 21.” He continued.

 

“Yeah!” I replied and smiled.

 

“I bet your fiancé will prepare a great surprise for you.”he teased me.

 

I just laugh awkwardly on his statement. Surprises are not in Suho’s vocabulary. Amber’s attention was shifted to his phone when it rings. He looked at the screen and then he curved a smile. He excused himself and then got up. I continued eating my cake while I watch him talking to his phone with a big smile on his face.

 

“Really?” Amber said with disbelief in his voice.

 

‘It’s probably Ailee-unnie!’

 

“Thank you so much!” he exclaimed happily which made me furrowed my brows. “See you soon, Jie!”

 

He curved his dorky smile before he hangs up the phone. I think he was not talking with Ailee-unnie. I tried to recall who that person he is calling Jie. I think I heard him call someone with that name before when we were kids.

 

“I had good news for us.”he said when he got back on his seat. “I can call off our engagement after this sem.”he told me happily with a big grin on his face.

 

I should feel happy about what he is telling me now. I should be thankful and feel relieved when I heard it but surprisingly, I am not.