Chapter 49

The Art Of Love []

Minwoo's P.O.V.


It was killing me. I kept thinking about him. He did everything to push me away from himself, but nothing helped. Even when even I decided to finally leave him alone, I still wasn't able to do it. I just couldn't. I guess that's the true meaning of the phrase "you just can't help it". Even when I drove myself to the point of going crazy I just couldn't make myself fall out of love with him.

And now... his exhibition. Even though I firmly decided not to go, even though I said to myself that I shouldn't torture myself anymore, that I should just live on and forget about everything - avoid him if needed - and it was needed, obviously... Even though I did all that my feet somehow dragged me to the gallery in the end.

I walked into the place where Jaejoong had exhibition of his work for this year and started walking around, watching his pictures. What surprised me first was that they weren't regular paintings, but a combination of paintings and photographs - each picture had some kind of synthesis of the two. That alone made the paintings that much more interesting and closer to me. Since we were all friends for these couple of years I went to his exhibitions before, but this time he truly outdid himself. The themes were also something else. One could easily recognize they meant something more to the author - more then just an emotion simple stuff left as their impression imprinted in Jaejoong's mind and heart. It was like those stuff themselves became a part of him - this was something that deeply touched his soul.

Watching these paintings meant getting in touch with Jaejoong - more then any other paintings of his. He was so exposed with this... but only to the people who truly knew him and comprehended him. I was very well aware of that as I slowly examined them... until I came to the separate part of the exhibition, right in front of everyone, but at the same time slightly divided from the rest of the paintings.

On the wall next to the first painting there was a sign that said "Life itself – V.I.V. (Very Important Values)". Curiously, I looked at the first painting called "Strength" and saw Hyesung. I widened my eyes slightly as I didn't expect it, a small smile instantly tugging at my lips. As always, a part of it was a photo of him, smiling brightly as he looked to his right and I recognized the place where the photo was taken - Heechul's. I could even see Heechul behind the bar in the background. The painted part of the picture had Hyesung's silhouette holding a paintbrush in his hand as if he was painting the view in front of him - the city full of buildings in shape of canvases, music instruments, colorful buildings with words written over them. It seemed like Hyesung was standing in the middle of the river that flew by the city, as if he was also a part of it, owning that imaginary world. He didn't give out an impression of a ruler nor the owner - but the creator - the mother.

Still under the amazing impression of the painting I moved onto the next one, called "Innocence". There was a photo of Eric with his eyes closed, laughing hard at something. I smiled again and examined the painting. Eric was kneeling down in front of his Marshy, obviously talking to her, like only he could. Jaejoong was absolutely right - no one could picture innocence as perfect as Eric. He was the oldest, but he could express the pureness of his heart the best - like he was still a child. That was just precious.

The next picture was called "Harmony" and it had Changmin and Junsu together. On the photo they were in one of the classrooms in music department, facing each other as they sang. Their eyes were connected and even on the photo you could clearly see the bond they formed together. The painted part had the two of them sitting on the bench, their hands brought together, fingers entwined. The bench looked like a stylized staves. They were in the middle of a gorgeous scenery, almost fairy-tale like - in harmony with that perfect nature as well as each other.

I moved to the next one. It was simply called "Art" and it was a picture of Junjin. My best friend's photo was taken at Dongwan's house during Christmas holidays. He was sitting on the floor, leaned against the wall and had one of his rare dreamy smiles. He was obviously deep in thought and probably didn't even notice Jaejoong taking a picture of him. I was surprised Jae managed to catch him like this, since Junjin rarely drifted off into his own little world - especially not in front of other people. But I had to admit that he looked as handsome as ever on this photo. The painted half pictured him as an artist in front of his canvas, but his eyes were looking straight at me - the person who was watching him outside of the painting. I smiled at the meaning - we all can be a theme for an art piece. We were all some form of art.

I stood in front of "Friendship". Yoochun was smiling warmly at me, sitting casually on a chair in what looked like his and Jaejoong's room. He casually posed for his best friend's exhibition - I'm sure that was what Jaejoong said from him. And therefore he gave out the impression of effortless communication with the camera - or better yet - with the person who was behind it. Painting held a different Yoochun. This one was surrounded with people, but looked like he wasn't a part of that crowd, like he was there by himself. Alone. I thought about it for a minute, just staring at the picture, trying to comprehend the meaning. Was he lonely because he only had Jaejoong as his friend, but Jae didn't want to put himself in the picture? It didn't make much sense really. I continued to think, but nothing came to me, I just didn't get it.

I glanced at the next picture as I decided to drop the mystery of Yoochun's picture and moved to the one that caught my attention. "Devotion". Dongwan sitting by his desk, completely focused on something that he was writing. And beside him a painted Wannie, standing next to the camera and talking to his actors. And beside him one more, talking to Hyesung, his whole body turned to him as if there was no one else around the two of them. And beside him another one, surrounded with the rest of us - you could recognize us painted in simple , our basic features distinguished, but Dongwan was the one in the centre, outshining us in every way. He didn't look like he was above us all... but it gave out this weird impression that he was the link between us all, that he was the one important - but that he gave us all the importance. That's what devotion was - and Wannie was devoted in everything he did.

It surprised me that the photo on the next painting had a sleeping Yunho on it. I glanced at the title - "Eternity". I raised my eyebrow slightly. I knew Yunho was very important to Jaejoong... but I wasn't aware that he meant an eternity to him. He looked peaceful and I knew that was what Jaejoong wanted - to be able to picture eternity. However there was a hint of smile lingering on his lips. I liked that... the picture shined with hope. The painted part had Yunho in middle, in the whirlwind of people, art and... life. He looked so alive for some reason. Strong and handsome, like he was full of energy. A positive impression... I felt like the painting was giving me some other type of strength from Hyesung's one, like it was pushing me forward to taste the life - live and love.

But what made me gasp for real was the next - and the last - painting. I was staring at myself. In the middle of canvas there was a photo of me. I don't know when he could've possibly taken a picture of me, the photo was just a simple photo of me like any other. Obviously taken in the dorm hall I was leaning against the wall, holding a book in one of my hands, but with my arms crossed as I was, for some reason, looking up. I didn't get it why he chose that picture of myself, but it didn't really matter. I looked around. On right and left side there were my painted versions. But I wasn't on the ground, I wasn't on Earth. On both sides I was a part of some other world. It wasn't anything like heaven - it would probably be too un-Jaejoong like to picture me somewhere close to heaven, but it was an enchanting place. Or was it me that was so enchanting? Looking closer... I almost glowed. My expression didn't show it, nor was it the way I was positioned - but I was obviously the centre of that place. Maybe it was conceited of me to think so, but it looked like that world existed only because I was in it. I finally took my eyes off the painting and looked at the name of it. "Love"

I took a step backwards, not knowing what to think of this. I finally turned to look around myself at other people. I locked eyes with some girl who looked at the same painting as I did a minute ago and she gave me a knowing smile. But that's the thing. I didn't know if that painting was true. I couldn't let myself believe.

I turned as someone started talking. The official opening. My heart skipped the beat as I stepped slightly closer to hear better and to look at Jaejoong. There he was, even more gorgeous then usual - he looked stunning, but also kind of out of it. And then he started talking.

"And I'm thankful for that. Thank you all my friends, my family... everyone who has been with me, by my side, watching me and guiding me. And especially that one special person who's been by my side the shortest period of time, but who had a big role in making me who I am today. You helped me realize a lot of things, recognize myself and that's why I dedicate this exhibition to you." I heard him speak as he neared the end of his speech.

"And I finally recognize you now, I finally know you. I finally understand you. And I love you for that." He whispered, but I heard him clearly.

"I love you, Lee Minwoo."

I stayed paralyzed for a long moment, trying to understand him now. The words kept repeating in my head as it seemed like the world stopped spinning and only my frantic heart beats could be heard.

I stared at him as I finally moved - my feet brought me to him again. I didn't understand what I was doing, but my body obviously knew well what I should do as I faced him and pressed my lips against his, giving myself to him, just like he showed he gave himself to me.


Jaejoong's P.O.V.


I'm... in a dream.

As we broke apart and I became aware of the people watching us and even applauding I grinned like a crazy fool.

"Why are you crying?" he asked, chuckling a bit as he reached up to wipe my tears.

"Why are you?" I asked back, brushing his tears away too.

"You left me speechless..."

"The speech?"

"The paintings." He whispered.

And I understood. I finally did.


Minwoo's P.O.V.


"Where are you?" I heard him on the other side of the line. It's been three weeks since that night we've gotten together. The night he understood me - as we liked to call it.

"I see you." I replied, hanging up the phone and walking up to him. "Hey gorgeous." I smiled, wrapping my arms around him and giving him a kiss.

"Hey." He smiled against my lips and pulled away, wrapping one arm around him. "You look good."

"You too." I replied. "Is everyone inside?"

"Yeah... why are you late?" he pouted.

"I had to look perfect for you." I teased.

"Yeah right. You always look perfect and you know it. You just started getting ready in the last minute. Admit it." He shook his head, laughing a bit and pulling me into the theatre.

"Going from not understanding to knowing me too well is such a thin line for you..." I replied, laughing too.

"Come on, they're saving seats for us." He said as we already went in and quickly found our seats in between Hyesung and Yunho.

"Finally! Where were you?" Hyesung shot me a glare.

"Sorry..." I backed away a bit, happy to have Jaejoong in between us.

"You should seriously start getting ready on time." He shook his head, turning to the screen and Jaejoong chuckled in return, glancing at me.

"I have something to ask you." I said to him, remembering the exhibition.

"Yeah?" he asked, turning to me again.

"Your painting - "Friendship"... why is Yoochun alone on it?" I asked curiously. It's been bugging me for a while. I just never remembered to ask when I was with Jaejoong. I had other things to think about in those times.

"He doesn't look lonely, does he?" he asked with a hint of worry in his voice.

"No. He kind of looks happy actually." I said as I thought about it.

"Good." Jaejoong smiled, nodding a bit. "Yoochun is my best friend, you know?" I nodded, although I was slightly surprised, since he was close to both Hyesung and Yunho - I always had impression that he was closer to them then to Yoochun. "His picture is close to yours actually... and partly to Yunho's. You see... "Friendship" and "Love" are the only paintings who express my own world. The others express how I see our friends - and the background in which they're placed is their own world or what I see their own world as. Yunho's background is out of place and time - he's my expression of eternity after all. But Yoochun and you are a part of my own different worlds. Yoochun is not alone, but he's the only one in million other people that surround me. The only best friend. As for you... the world you're in is my world of love. And of course, you're the only one there... but not only that - you own that world - just like you own my love." He smiled.

"You left me speechless again." I said.

"Good. The film is starting." He chuckled, pointing at the screen. I smirked and leaned closer.

"I love you." I whispered and he squeezed my hand gently, his eyes glued to the screen.

I looked at the screen too, taking a deep breath, feeling both happiness and nervousness. Kim Dongwan's love confession was ready to reveal right before our eyes.