13. A golden opportunity

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

“Jiyong your acting is doing well,” her eomma told her as they talked on the phone, “I’ve watched the first two episodes. Your father and I are both proud.”

“Thank you,” Jiyong smiled at her mum’s compliments.

“The ratings have been doing well since the first week,” her eomma added, “how long has it been since it began?”

“It’s been nearly two months,” Jiyong said counting in her head. She wasn’t sure exactly but it was around that time since the first script reading.

“Ok, we’ll tell you about how you are in next week’s episode. I will get your father to call you sometime hopefully before Wednesday night.”

“Thanks eomma, see you.”

“Bye my dear.” Jiyong hung up the phone and the television. It was a news entertainment segment. Her photograph was on the backdrop with the words ‘is Choi Jiyong already in a relationship?’

“Rookie actress Choi Jiyong has already been asked the burning question that all celebrities are asked at one stage or another,” the reporter began. Jiyong’s smile fell. “That question is, “is she currently dating someone?” Jiyong reached for the controller but stopped.

“Recently at the first prep rally a day before the airing of the first episode for the new KBS drama ‘My Nephew’s a punk?!’ The young actress was asked if she had a boyfriend. Her co-actor Park Yoohwan, the dongsaeng of JYJ’s Yoochun stole the show when he told the reporters that she had been on a recent date. After moments of no response the young actress went on to say ‘I have no boyfriend. That was for business only it was not a personal matter.’ Netizens are buzzing to find out when this date took place and who the lucky guy was. Stay tuned next week for any further developments.” Jiyong turned off the television screen. She didn’t move except for her eyes. She was horrified and above all, humiliated by it.

She sat there for longer wallowing in her chagrin until the phone rang. She hurried to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Ah Choi Jiyong-sshi, do you remember ahjussi Ji-woon?” Jiyong didn’t expect a call from him.

“Yes I remember,” she said trying to smile.

“I was wondering if you would like to audition for a role in a new film that has been in the works?” Jiyong couldn’t believe her luck.  This was too good to be true.
“I will give it a try if you like.”

“Good, come to the studio at nine thirty this Friday and we will give you a copy of the script and a test run.” Jiyong nodded.

“That sounds good sir.”

“I will see you then, oh do you have the address?” He quickly told Jiyong and then gave his thanks again.

“I appreciate this, Jiyong-sshi I think you have the right image for this film.”

“I hope so goodbye.” The conversation ended.

***

Friday came around and Jiyong stumbled into the studio. She was tired from having to film the day before for the drama. She would be glad when her hard work would be paid off. She was greeted with a warm smile by the familiar face.

“How have you been keeping up since our last encounter?” He said as they walked to the studio room where the auditions were taking place.

“Alright thank you.” She said as he opened the door for her.

“Good, I saw you on the drama. You have a gift for acting.”

“Thank you kindly,” she bowed to him, it seemed appropriate.

“I think this character would be to your liking,” he handed her the piece of paper with the title ‘Where he left off,’ and then it was a character called ‘ghost’ with the description (is in angst and sorrow).

“Just read the paragraph and we’ll see how we go,” she stood in front of Ji woon and another man who were watching her.

“One, two, three,” the man then pointed at her and she began.

“Why did you leave me? Don’t you know how lonely I’ve been for the past century?” Jiyong swallowed, “though we barely know each other I feel like we’ve connected, like you are my Baehoon from another life.” The script said she tears up. Jiyong thought back to the most painful moment she could think of. A police station with the sergeant telling her, “He’s killed an innocent life.”

“Why stay here if you don’t feel the same?” She said starting to choke up, “just go! Leave me now.”

“Cut,” Ji- woon said clapping his hands, “that was deep. You really captured the sorrow of the character well, what was your inspiration?” Jiyong wiped her eyes and shook her head.

“Anyway I think we’ll stop there,” Ji-woon spoke to his other companion, “call the crew and tell them that we will start filming within the next month.” Jiyong handed the script back to Ji-woon.

“So what do you say? Your drama doesn’t have long before you finish filming what do you say to being the main lead?” Jiyong nodded.

“I will do it,” she said.

“Excellent, we will contact you within the next week for our first script reading.” Ji-woon said showing her to the door, “this is your big opportunity for you two.”

“For whom are you referring to?” Jiyong was confused.

“Why for you and Yoochun of course.” There was a moment of shock for Jiyong which she hid with a smile. Oh why did things have to be like this?

“Did you end up going out with him again?” Jiyong didn’t answer.

“I guess not then,” Ji-woon shrugged, “shame really, but still you two can catch up while you’re acting together.”
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And there’s our bombshell dun dun duuuuuuunn!  The plot’s been moving slowly I admit so now things can pick up and we can get to the mushy stuff (Joking it’s still got a while yet). Thanks for reading :)