She met him pt. 1

Forget Our Memories

005.1: She Met Him

 

==Hae Jin==

 

Once, I wondered who I really was. Am I me or just what Ji Eun would be? These things went through my mind and got me confused. But when I met Minho, somehow my world got clearer.

 

I am simply me. Not someone who should be. There's no way to know what my sister could be because she has already passed away. There was nothing I could do to know what the future would bring.

 

The only thing I know is that experiences makes up the person who he is but it's up to the person to make the decisions which defines that person.

 

~~~

Looking at the events that had happened to me in one angle, I think most people think that I got one heck of a complicated life. For once, I agree with that.

 

Six years ago, my parents including my loving sister died in a plane crash, leaving me alone to fend for myself.

 

Those years of being alone didn’t passed by as smoothly as anyone would expect. Surviving alone was hard.

 

I began to rebuild my life once again after contemplating on what just happened.

 

I survived for the most part but with the help of my parent’s last will. I claimed what was mine since according what everyone knew, Lee Hae Jin died. They have a body to prove that and she’s my twin. Having the same DNA makes the world less suspicious. It was hard not to cry when I contacted the family lawyer about the inheritance. I had no place to go and money to help me survive.

 

It may sound cruel that I immediately thought of the inheritance my parents left for me, but I had no choice. I need to do something in order for me to survive. If I don’t do anything, then I would have starved myself to death. I was desperate. I needed to pretend again.

 

Convincing the lawyer wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be since me and my sister were twins. There was no need for identity confirmation. He only asked me a few question in which I politely answered. He was sympathetic with my situation that he offered me a stay in his family’s house. I declined, considering the burden I might give them.

 

I received the inheritance and put the house my family lived in for lease. There was too much memories in that house that I wanted to keep it and give it away at the same time.

 

Slowly, I started to rebuild my life. I began on a new journey as a new person or to simply put it, I became once again Hae Jin. The real me.

 

~~~

==Minho==

 

I had a dream last night. She was there in our concert, standing in the middle of the crowd. Even with a big crowd, I could still see tears of joy flowing from her eyes as she cheered for me and the rest of the group.

 

God! Oh how I miss her every single day.

 

Nothing much has changed for me in the past 6 years. Maybe except that my career was a better than before. SHINee was still going strong. SME never complained about most of the decisions we make. If there were great risks or any objections about our plans, he makes sure he had a good explanation from it. Nowadays, the company’s objective for us was not how to make great profits out of us, but how they can maintain a good image and fair profit without making it hard for the group. It was a surprise for us that our president, Lee Soo Man, was very cooperative.

 

Although, there were still limits on what we can do as an idol under SM Entertainment. The most basic rules on idols still applies to us, so everything was good.

 

Relationships were still kept under wraps until a go-signal was given to the couple. Our company couldn’t risk having their idols being involved in different relationships like they’re changing clothes. It would be a big blow for them.

 

There are only two members who was currently involved with someone. Jonghyun and Taemin.

 

Jonghyun hyung’s relationship with Sekyung noona was going strong. They have been together for quite some time now and the fans have already accepted their relationship. I am happy for them. A few months back, when their relationship was revealed to the public, it wasn’t pretty but eventually the public came around. Now, they can go out in broad daylight and go on dates.

 

While for Taemin, it wasn’t official yet but he has his eyes on someone already. He had been watching her silently for a month now and this was the first time someone caught his eyes. Onew-hyung was part of a musical and she was one of the cast. The odd thing was her was Coco, which reminds me of Cocoa or chocolate. Maybe that’s how Taemin got intrigued. I think he’s going to ask her out for the congratulatory this coming Friday.

 

It seems these two would have their dates while Key, Onew-hyung and I will be dateless. So much for fun.

 

“Minho-hyung! We need to leave now for Star King guesting”, Taemin informed me.

 

I got up from my bed and took the necklace where I place the ring I gave her on her last birthday celebration with me. I had brought it always with me whenever I go. This ring is the only thing that I feel closely connected to her. The ring was an important symbol of my promise that I made with her, which I can’t seem to let go.

 

---

==Hae Jin==

 

The following days became dull. After the concert event, nothing new happened. My life was still as normal as I try it to be. Maybe my life is not exactly normal because I still live in the music scene. To be more specific, I have been working as a bartender for 2 years now. It was all thanks to Carol and my boss, Brian. He's half-American, half-korean and his Korean is a little better now unlike before, he had a Gwanju accent.

 

Tonight, I am on my way to work. It was already 6 in the evening and my shift starts at 8. I was suppose to come at 7 but since people come later in the evening, Hwanhee, a bartender just like me, does all the work for the time being. Plus, I am the BOSS'FAVOURITE!. He always brags about how good I am at my job because he was the one who taught me the art of bartending. He's so full of himself.

 

When I finally reached the club, there was a big and very intimidating guy in charge of crowd control. I greeted him and the serious look on his face vanished and returned an acknowledging look as he step aside to let me inside.

 

The crowd inside the club was large but not suffocating. The music coming from the speakers were very upbeat and just made the crowd hyper. These days, the club has been grabbing a lot of attention mainly because of a few celebrities coming every now and then.

 

I automatically went over the bar counter and joined the rest of the bartenders attending the club goers who wanted to have some fun or simply get wasted. The celebrities are not the only reason the club was grabbing a lot of attention from the public these days but also from the strict security and the great service we offer. It might sound like a hotel standard but it's just the way it is. Our boss just want a place where people can be safe and have fun at the same time. Before, he wanted a cafe but later on realized that a quiet life didn't seem to fit him plus he was more of a night person rather than an early riser.

 

"I'm glad you finally decided to join us" Carol said in between serving multiple customers at the same time.

 

"Talk later, Work now. Brian's gonna be mad if I slack off“ I, too started to take orders and served with the same speed as any experienced bartender. I've been doing this work for three years and I was lucky enough to land a job as good as the pay Brian gives.

 

It was already around 4 am when my shift finished and the club was also closing up. Carol and I, together with some staffs were the ones left inside the club when Brian, our boss, came and called me into his office.

 

"What's up?" I asked as we entered his office which was also lounge room for the staff whenever we needed a break. He's a strict boss in fact he was the type who likes to be buddies with his employees, that maybe the reason why his club rarely loss any staff.

 

"Do you remember the announcement I had last week pertaining to a private party this coming Friday?"

 

"Of course." I lied. During that time, Carol was still spaz out about the concert.

 

"Well, Soohyun, as you may have noticed was on leave. He was supposed to our main bartender for the private party. Unfortunately, his right arm was dislocated and he couldn't some to work for the time being..." He trailed off and looked at me with a hint of guilt.

 

At first, I didn't understand why he was telling me this. It was only a second after when I got what he was trying to tell me.

 

"You want me to replace him..." It was the most logical deduction. Me, being the best in my job was the best choice to replace Soohyun. Maybe if that day wasn't my day off, Brian would have chosen me to be on shift. That's why he was looking at me guiltily. Friday was my day off and he wanted me to come to work.

 

I can't blame him but also I couldn't help myself but groan that I have to sacrifice my precious rest day. My expression couldn't hide the dismay I was feeling.

 

"If it this could make you feel better, I will pay you double" he tried consoling me.

 

"It's alright" The look on his face really looked sorry for his decision. Somehow, it wasn't so bad in my part. I just looked at it as an advantage to my part...more money.

 

After that, I joined my friend Carol outside where I saw her busy talking to one of the guys who she just met a couple of hours ago during our shift. It made me chuckle thinking how fast she was with guys. No guy seemed to be "NOT" in her standards. There was always something in every guy that she liked about them. Sometimes, in my mind, it makes me wonder if she would ever settle down with just one guy.

 

She saw me approaching her and looked my way. "So… what did Brian want?"

 

I shrugged. "Nothing. He just wanted me to replace Soohyun this coming Friday"

 

This time, her full attention was directed to me. Her face looked horrified, "What?! You know I wanted some girl time with you"

 

"Come on. It's not that bad. We could use the extra money for your cosmetics"

 

"Okay I was eyeing a new lip gloss  and the liquid eyeliner at the store we passed by the other week", Carol is such a er for cosmetic products. It's just one of her unique traits.

 

We went home and spent the rest of the day, normally.

 

Friday came by fast. My best buddy, Carol wanted to come and help me but I insisted she needed the rest. Plus, I don't want her to go on her fan-girl mode if ever this party was reserved for idols. The club was becoming popular these days, so an idol party would not be a surprise. I should have asked Brian whose party it was. All he reminded me was to wear a mask he had already prepared for the party. Apparently, the theme was similar to a masquerade part but more modern and masks are the only thing was required.

 

For this party, I had to dress better than I usually do. Instead of the theme Brian always had to have formality for the staff in the club, I was able to dress what I would wear for a club party. I was wearing something a little chick yet a little rock style to the side.

 

Before I entered the bar, I made a quick check on the mirror and wore the mask Brian gave me. It was all black lined with silver as it's outline. The was covering only my eyes which was a good thing for my part. This way, I wouldn't have any discomfort that I have to take off the mask once in a while.

 

As soon as I went to my station, an event coordinator approached me and gave a few reminders on what to expect for the event. This would be the first party event I would be handling alone. From what Brian told me, this was a private party which I could handle by myself. Soon after, guests finally arrived in groups. I couldn’t see what was happening outside but I’m pretty sure they are a lot of reporters outside considering this was a celebratory party for a celebrity or a group to be exact. The coordinator just informed me earlier that the host was an idol group.

 

“They’re coming!” I heard from the other staff.

 

I suddenly felt nervous. Maybe because it was the first time I was going meet an idol this close.

 

When I saw them, my blood went cold and my body stiffened. It was unexpected.

 

SHINee.

 

The party was organized as a congratulatory party for them. The odds were small but there they were, standing just a few feet away from me. I’m not even sure what emotions were swirling inside of me. Happiness? Regret? Fear? I don’t know.

 

I wanted to run but what for? I was dead for all they know.

 

My hand reached for my face and realized I was wearing a mask, thank God for that. They wouldn’t recognize me. I was safe. I was a little relieved but still uneasy with them too close for comfort.

 

All five of them were present wearing branded clothes just like any other guests in the party. I can hear screams coming from outside which probably their fans.  They got old. No. Matured would be the right word. They’ve gotten more charismatic, sleek, and even graceful.

 

Taemin was wearing an all black suit which made his body look thinner than the rest. He still had the aura of innocence and youth on him.

 

Onew, the adorable leader, person who always smile as if he doesn’t have a problem of his own, was wearing a gray dress shirt with a silver-gray tie that was slightly loosened, and then a unique pair of pants and black boots with a light brown lining on it.

 

Key looked stylish as he always did a few years back. Being called a ‘fashionista’, he definitely proven himself to be one. Unlike the rest, he was wearing red all over. Men usually tend to go for simple colors but Key was the exact opposite. He likes to present himself to the public with a bang, just like now.

 

Jonghyun was behind Key, already into the music playing at the party. He was wearing a deep tone of blue, which suits his well toned body very well. He was with a girl, who must me Sekyung. They were happy holding each other’s hand.

 

Lastly, Minho who was lost in his own world had a navy blue suit complimented his athletic body. He still had the mysterious expression on his face which could make any girl; celebrity or not go weak on the knees. I wasn’t an exception.

  

Six years really did make a lot of change for us.

 

They passed by my station and bowed and greeted them like I was supposed to. No one bothered to glance my way.

 

And so, the congratulatory party began.

 

Everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves. Celebrities such as Super Junior, B2ST, BOA, Girl’s Generation, and even seniors of the music industry were present and was trying to mingle with as much people as they could. The crowd wasn’t as jam-packed as it was in a regular club. There’s an enough space for everyone to dance if they wanted to.

 

There were servers during the party even though I was present as a bartender. My real job in this party is to serve these celebrities with a drink of their choice since the drinks served by the waiters/ waitresses was only champagne. Upbeat songs were playing during the start of the party and most of them danced to the music. Cheers and screams filled the room. Everyone was having the time of their lives. After a while, the music changed for a less upbeat music, changing the atmosphere to a more relaxing one.

 

Soul Star’s was playing in the back when a familiar voice called my attention.

 

“Scotch” voice behind me ordered.

 

I quickly grabbed a glass, add some ice and poured some scotch. I carefully placed the drink in front of him while I was trying not to look at his face.

 

He took the drink and savoured it.

 

“Aren’t you a little too young for that drink?” I asked. I couldn’t stop myself to do something. Seeing him up-close makes me want to forget everything and reveal myself, but what good would that do?

 

“Maybe, but I like it.” He answered with a smile.

 

For the first time in 6 years, the same old feeling whenever he’s near me blossomed once again.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, why are you here? And not there with the rest?”

 

He chuckled and replied while playing with his drink “Aren’t you listening to the news?”

 

“I may be the ‘Flaming Charisma’ but it’s either I’m gay or” He took another sip on his scotch and continued. “I’m just hung-over with an ex”

 

“I just can’t over her.” It was almost inaudible but I heard every word.

 

“I know what you mean. I’ve been there even now.” I replied.

 

If he only knew.

 

“Seems like we are a good match” By the tone of his voice, he was joking but my heart was racing just like it once was. I tried to calm myself.

 

Having him this close, made me realize something about him. His eyes changed. Not physically, but the way he looks at a person. The glow it once had was no longer as bright as it was 6 years ago.

 

His glass was almost empty and I ignore the last comment even though it was making me happy deep inside. “Another round?”

 

“No. I’m good. You know I can’t get drunk. Bad Publicity.” Minho politely declined.

 

Then, we fell silent. In order to avoid staring at him for too long, I did my job and made sure all the glasses were clean and some other stuff. All those time, somehow, I felt his eyes observing me.

 

“Can I ask your name?”

 

My heart was racing a minute ago and now I swear it stopped. I almost dropped one of the glasses I was cleaning but luckily managed to catch it before it fell.

 

“What?-why?”

 

“No reason. I just feel like it”

 

“Sir~”

 

“Call me Minho.” Minho introduced himself as if I didn’t know who he was. My breath hitched and I almost forgot how to speak. His eyes were staring into my eyes that made me self-conscious. I looked away and touched my face. The mask was hiding my identity in which I was grateful for.

 

“Uh~ Minho-shi, I believe knowing my name is insignificant. As you can see I’m just a bartender in your party” I kept my voice normal and calm.

 

“I don’t think there’s no reason not to~” He made a good point there, but still I just can’t. A connection to him isn’t something I deserved. I have hurt him that I don’t deserve to be treated so kindly. If he only knew who he was talking to.

 

“WHOA?!Am I seeing what I’m seeing?” It was Jonghyun, who was rubbing his eyes as if he was hallucinating.

 

“A flirting Minho?”

 

Key and Onew laughed with the others. Minho’s face flushed red in embarrassment and looked away to hide his reaction. “I wasn’t.”

 

“Slow down, will you? You’re scaring her” Onew teased further.

 

“Well it’s about time he made a move on someone since~” Jonghyun sat down together with the rest of the guys and joined Minho in his isolation.

 

“Hyung~” Key warned him. Minho didn’t look good. It was evident that it triggered something from the past. I tried to be oblivious. Of course I knew what they were talking about but they don’t know who I am.

 

Jonghyun realized his mistake and apologized. “Sorry”

 

“Miss Bartender, are you alright?” Now the attention was switched back to me and I stuttered a bit. “Y-yeah…”

 

“See what you did hyung! You scared her!” The adorable maknae accused Minho, the older one.

 

“Don’t worry Noona! He won’t bite!” Taemin gave me an innocent smile. He was still so adorable no matter how much he had matured.

 

“Taemin!” The rest of SHINee except for Minho scolded the youngest.

 

“You’re stealing Noona, aren’t you?” It was Minho’s turn this time. Talk about some comeback.

 

Taemin’s eyes widened at Minho’s playful statement and waved his hand in denial. “No! I’m Jus~”

 

I couldn’t help but laugh at their silliness. Even though these guys have been in the industry for a long time now, they still haven’t lost the innocence they had before. These people that I love were still the same people I knew back then.

 

SHINee turned their heads in my direction when I laughed. I realized this when they suddenly went quiet. I bowed and apologized for my rudeness.

 

“No. We’re the ones who should be apologizing. These guys seem to be using you for entertainment since they have grown tired of the usual happenings there” Onew pointed to the large crowd, who were enjoying themselves. All of them were part of the most renowned people and Korea and they really know how to party.

 

I thought they won’t be spending a lot of time in my station. That was what to be expected since most celebrities would spend their time socializing with each other because they couldn’t do this often due to their hectic schedules. But SHINee spent most of their time trying to strike a conversation with me. Other celebrities didn’t seem to mind. With them so close to me, it was already hard to control myself from mentally beating myself for the choices I made in the past.

 

“Noona, Have you fallen in love?” Taemin asked while I was refilling their drinks. Most of them asked for a beer while Minho asked for a non-alcoholic drink.

 

“Of Course!” I answered.

 

“How did it feel?” He asked.

 

“You have a girlfriend right? It’s like that.”

 

“I don’t have a girlfriend, yet. And I want to know how it feels for you…”

 

“It was the most memorable thing that happened to me but it ended painfully”

 

“Painful?” Key was the one who asked.

 

“We broke up. Don’t get me wrong. We love each other.”

 

“Isn’t that silly? Breaking up when you clearly love each other?” Taemin asked me innocently.

 

“In love, sacrifices has to be made even I you know it will cost your happiness. There’s even a saying that if you love that person, you would do everything for the person’s happiness even if it meant sacrificing yours, right?”

 

They didn’t say anything but they understood what I meant.

 

“You’re too kind.” Onew complimented. He was trying to make me feel better but he doesn’t know the whole story. He doesn’t know who he was talking to.

 

“I just can’t be selfish for his sake.”

 

“Don’t you think he’s hurting too” Minho spoke this time. There was hurt in his voice. From then I knew he was speaking from the heart.

 

“I know that. I regret letting go.”

 

“So where’s this guy we’re talking about?” Key was interested.

 

“Somewhere. From what I hear, he’s already successful in his career and I’m happy for him”

 

“Haven’t you thought of going back?” Taemin looked at me anticipating for what I think of a happy ending.

 

“And what? Hurt ourselves again? I can’t. I’m not sure if I can do that again.”

 

“Then don’t hurt each other.” Minho wasn’t looking at us but he was listening. He was hiding his face from us. I don’t know the reason why.

 

“You know it’s not that easy.” Unconsciously, I used the affectionate tone I once used to him. He looked at me with a startled expression but then shrugged it off, maybe thinking that I was just got carried away by the conversation.

 

“I think you and Minho would be a good match to each other” Jonghyun commented as he traced the corners of the glass he was drinking at a minute ago.

 

“Think about it. You two have undergone the same experience. He~  ”

 

“Okay, that’s enough Jjong and go back to your girl. She’s probably upset now looking for you.” Key interrupted with a warning glare. He was protecting Minho from remembering the past. I was aware that he was clearly holding on to the past. It made my heart ache and long for something I knew that I could no longer reach no matter how hard I try.

 

I had to remind myself that I wasn’t Ji Eun anymore. I’m Hae Jin, the real me; the girl left alone in this world except the memories that I could only cherish.

 

“Okay.Okay” He rose up and raised his hands up to his shoulders as a sign of surrendering. Jonghyun excused himself and went to the crowd of celebrities not far from us. He went back to his date.

 

“You too, Maknae. You’re forgetting your date. Are you replacing her with our new friend?” Key this time had a playful look on his eyes, an expression I haven’t seen in a long time. It looks like he was still the ‘UMMA’ of the group.

 

The maknae’s eyes grew wide again and pouted like a child. He immediately stood up from his seat and gave me a final wave before leaving the bar just like Jonghyun. He went into the crowd to find his date just like his hyung.

 

A few minutes later, the others got up as well and joined the others. Onew, as polite as always, thanked me. Key gave me a smile before leaving while Minho looked at me for a minute or two before bowing and left to follow the others.

 

Minho left me confused.

----

It was already around 3 in the morning when the party officially ended. Thank goodness no celebrity got in trouble and the people outside were kept under control. There were some incidences of fans trying to sneak in, but unfortunately for them, security was tight and they were escorted back outside.

 

I saw them leave the club last. From what I hear from the other staff who eavesdropped from their conversation, they guys wanted to have some time for themselves. They were supposed to stay longer but they still have schedules later that day and rest was very important for them.  

 

I just finished cleaning up the glasses that were used. My back and even my legs hurt from the long time I was standing straight at the party. I stretched my back and massaged my legs for a minute before heading back and grabbed my things. I checked my phone for messages and I found a lot. All of them were from Caroline asking what happened at the party and how many gorgeous celebrities were present. Her fascination with celebrities made me smile. If I told her who I was talking to, maybe she would have a heart attack. Maybe. Just maybe.

 

  rain.jpg  

 

When I got out of the front door, I saw the ground wet. Apparently, it was raining, hard. I was already tired from the extra work and rubbed my eyes to wake myself. It was that I realized that I was still wearing the mask they gave me. Super embarrassing. Good thing there was no one around anymore.

 

“Minho!” When I heard the name being called out, I whipped my head from where the voice came from.

 

There was a figure a few meters away from me. The rain was pouring hard that it took me awhile to recognize the figure. It was Minho picking up something from the ground.

 

My heart went crazy again. In my mind, I was already thinking to use this chance to hug him even once. It was raining hard and he would probably think I was a fan. Also, he wouldn’t be able to recognize me because of the dark.

 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard another call.

 

“MINHO! WATCH OUT!” It was more of a shout.

 

There was a bright light coming fast behind him. That was then that I realized what I was about to witness.

------------

 

I hope you like this one.

It took me awhile to finish this and probably the second part would also take some time before I could finish it.

Comments are loved. Please tell me what you think of this one.

I'm beginning to lose some hope here that people don't like what I write.

Sorry if it's not good.

And I'm not sure how long when I'll be able to finish the next part . Please be patient.