Comeback pt. 1

Forget Our Memories

007.1: Comeback

 

----Haejin----

 

“2pm! Get ready! You’ll be next after IU” The PD’s assistant announced.

 

My body started trembling. Great! Just Great! Just when I was about to debut technically as a dancer I had to get this nervous! Who could blame me? Fans would wonder who the hell is this woman being paired with the so-called hottest beasts alive?! Me- Park Haejin.

 

I looked at myself in the mirror and saw nothing similar to the girl I was a few years ago. The young naïve girl who was willing to give up her dreams was now a young woman surviving. My eyes no longer bore the same innocence it had during those happy days.

 

The only trace of who I was back then, was the couple ring he had won together with 2pm’s Nichkhun. I have it on my finger as a good luck charm. Funny, how I ended up working with Nichkhun, who has the other ring. The only difference of this ring with the Thai prince was Minho had something engrave in it.

 

‘Min + Jin’, it says. The engraving was pretty childish, but hey! We were young back then. Looking at it made me smile.

 

“Jinnie!” A familiar voice called out to me.

 

Before I could look up to see who it was, a strong pair of arms encircled my waist and leaned his chin on my shoulder.

 

It wasn’t a surprise who it was. There’s only one person I know who would do such a thing.

 

“Wooyoung Sunbae…” I sighed. “Do you really want a scandal?”

 

“With You? Of Course!” He showed me his heart-stopping smile that would make any girl faint. Luckily, I was immune to it. 

 

I gave him a playful punch on the shoulder. Wooyoung sunbae pretended to be hurt by the punch. “You’re unbelievable! This is why almost every talent in the company is thinking. Even JYP himself wondered if you’re only lying when he asked you last time.”

 

“Don’t worry about them. They can speculate all they want but I won’t change my ways to you.” He patted my head like I was some pet. “For me, you’re like my little sister. Let them speculate all they want. It’s kinda fun!” A goofy grin sprang on his face.

 

It was fun for him, but not for me. People were starting to give me the weird stare. “Sunbae… someday you’ll gonna pay for this” I grumbled.

 

“I know, but right now let them think what they want” He hugged me again before dragging me to one of the empty couches inside the dressing room.

 

I could see the look from the other members, especially Taecyon and Chansung. They looked at us like ajhummas gossiping over neighbours. I raised them a brow hoping they could get the message to stop making my close relationship with one of their members a big deal.

 

Instead of backing off, the two added a new member to their gossip club, the JUN brothers.

 

This was one of the reason why I choose not to call them OPPA. They were not ‘OPPA MATERIAL’ in my definition. They have tried numerous methods to convince me to call them ‘OPPA’, but I was stubborn enough not to wield in their wishes. AHJUMMA would have been a better nickname for them. I wish I could call them that but I prefer to keep my head intact with my body.

 

“Keep your thoughts to yourselves” I warned. I wasn’t sure if my threat would have change anything because as I could see, they just raised their brows and gossip some more.

 

2pm simply have been part of my life for about 2 months. I met them altogether in my so-called personal interview. You couldn’t even call it an interview. It was more of a test whether I was good enough to be the group’s leading lady. When I found about it, I was literally shocked that I almost fainted on the spot. Performing in front of a large audience such as the ones in music programs has been a dream of mine for as long as I could remember. JYP gave me the opportunity to fulfil that dream of mine and I’m deeply grateful for it. Thanks to my best friend, Carol, who is now 2PM’s occasional make-up artist that I was given this chance.

 

My training was a little different from the regular dancers in the company. Because I was specially recruited, I undergone a more intensive training. My muscles ached after the first day. That was when I realized the lack of training I had over the past few years. Although, after a few more sessions, my body managed to cope up.

 

Other than the training I received with the regular dancers, I also trained with all 6 members. Training alone was really different when training in groups. There was a feeling of togetherness of sort. It felt so good that I reminisced the times when I was at SME. I could still remember the back-breaking practices and pressure of pushing everyone’s limits just to have a chance of debuting in an idol group no matter what it took. The hardships were the same, but it felt a lot different. I wasn’t pressured to push myself and I don’t have to constant worry about things to go wrong. I have more freedom now than ever before.

 

Training with all 6 members were tons of fun. I could still remember the first time I had my first practice session with the boys. They were already in the dance studio when I came and I saw them all serious. Seeing them all serious made my whole body rigid. It had me thinking if the sincere welcome and praise they had given me during the interview test was all pretence.

 

All of them were having a conversation with each other when I interrupted them with a greeting.

 

“Go-good morning su-sunbaes” I bowed stiffly.

 

They all stopped and turned their heads towards my direction. There was a moment of silence until Chansung laughed hard while pointing at me. My face blushed bright red and his laugh made me more nervous and scared. I thought they were going to bully me. I’m not sure where that notion came from but that was what I thought back then.

 

“Good Morning” Carol’s hus- I mean 2pm’s so-called ‘Thai Prince’ greeted me and smiled like the sun.

 

His smile was truly the type of making anyone’s heart thump so hard. Mine did even though I’m usually immune to heart-stopping smiles. Boys haven’t been my area of expertise. Hell, I haven’t had a boyfriend since… I’d rather not remember.

 

I bowed once again and warily entered the dance studio. All set of eyes were looking in my direction and I can’t help myself but to squirm at the attention. It was basically because they were all male and according to my best friend ‘Beastly’. Because of the nickname given to them, I generally thought that they would act like what the name suggested. It scared me a bit. A bit would have been an understatement. I was terrified at the information causing uneasiness at their presence.

 

“Chansung you’re embarrassing her.”

 

“You’ve seen her face! She was terrified and acted like a robot!” Chansung continued to laugh hysterically, clutching his stomach in the process. He was laughing so much that it hurt, judging from the look on his face. But even with the pain, he still laughed.

 

“Geez maknae… You don’t really lack manners” Wooyoung scolded him like a child.

 

“Like you aren’t the same as me” Chansung retorted.

 

“Sorry about those 2. They always goof around. I’m Taecyon.” He held out his hand and I slowly reached for it.

 

Wooyoung saw Taecyon and rushed in our direction. “Yah! Taec! Take your greasy hands away from her. We know your motives. You just wanna get close to her ” He pried Taec’s hand off mine.

 

“Goofballs.” Junho shook in head in embarrassment.

 

“I thought you guys would be scary”

 

“Scary? Why do you think we would be scary?” Nichkhun tilted his head sideways unconsciously.

 

“Blame your new make-up artist, Carol. She’s my friend and a great fan of yours. My friend keeps telling me how… beastly you guys are. I presumed.”

 

“It’s an image, not our real selves. Honestly, we’re more of a dork, goofy kind of guys. There’s never a dull moment.” He explained.

 

“So… Let’s all start over and introduce ourselves shall we?” Junsu, the small-eyed guy initiated.

 

“Junsu” He grabbed by hand and shook it.

 

“I’ve already introduced myself. Though it doesn’t hurt to do it again. Taecyon.” Taecyon who just introduced himself took the opportunity to do it again. He gave me a toothy smile. “Don’t let Junsu deceive you. He may look like an angel but he’s not. Trust me on this.”

 

Carol’s so-called hubby, Nichkhun came next. “Nichkhun. Taecyon’s right. Junsu abandoned us one time to go clubbing with Taec and Jay.”

 

Jay. From what I learned from a crash course with Carol, Jay was the former leader of the group. There was a scandal which forced him to terminate his contract. The former leader managed to have his solo career and still maintains a good relationship with the guys.

 

“Hey! Stop picking on me!” Junsu protested.

 

“They’re not picking on you. They’re just telling the truth!” Chansung said straight out like Junsu was the same age as him.

 

Junsu glared at him but the youngest didn’t care.

 

“Junho! A little help here.”

 

“Sorry hyung, but they’re only telling the truth” Junho apologized for not helping but his expression wasn’t apologetic. He was even smirking. He joined forces with the others.

 

“No! Even my own brother betrayed me” Junsu exaggerated his movements.

 

“Brother?” I couldn’t help myself to wonder aloud. I don’t remember Carol telling me that there were siblings in the group.

 

“He’s not my brother. We just call each other brothers. We’re called by our fans ‘JUN’ brothers: JUNho and JUNsu. Get it? ” Junho, the rain look-a-like explained like a teacher teaching a student.

 

“Ah.”

 

“See what we mean by ‘Never a dull moment’ ” Nichkhun suddenly sprouted beside me. I almost yelp in surprise but I managed to shove the shriek down my throat.

 

“Yes.” Seeing them goofing around in my presence finally calmed me. Everyone was relaxed in my presence as if I was their friend for the past few years. They made me forget my fears.

 

After their goofy episode, the guy who looked like Rain approached me with an inviting smile.

 

“Junho. If you ever need a dance buddy, I’m the guy.” He reached for my hand and shook it. I smiled.

 

“Wooyoung. Let’s be friends.” Out of nowhere, the chubby cheek guy had his face inches from mine and smiled. I smiled in return while increasing the space between our faces. But then, he grabbed my shoulders and gave me a bone crushing hug.

 

The other guys immediately came to my rescue and peeled Wooyoung off me. I gasped for air as soon as they managed to get him away from me. Everyone playful beat him up that made it hard for me to catch my breath. They were just too funny not to ignore.

 

One of the tallest guys went closer to me and gave me a goofy smile. “Chansung. I eat a lot!”

 

Chansung almost squished me when Wooyoung managed slip away from the others and hovered over Chansung. The two guys lost their balance and ended up flat on the floor, bringing me along with them.

 

Junho pulled me out of the human pile. Nichkhun and Taecyon pulled the two on their feet as Junsu announced,  “Okay. Now that we’ve all reacquainted ourselves, it’s time to get our butts moving”

 

“But our butts are already moving?” Wooyoung wiggled his in front of everyone as if it was the most natural thing to do.

 

“WOOYOUNG!” Everyone scolded except for me, who started laughing at the whole thing.

 

He was waving his hand over my face. “What are you thinking?” My closest idol friend, Wooyoung broke me out of my thoughts. I didn’t realize that I was already deep in my thoughts.

 

“Nothing I just remembered the first day at the studio” I grinned.

 

“Ah! Can’t get enough of my gorgeous ?” Wooyoung sunbae wiggled his brows at me suggestively. Thinking about it made me wanna hurl. It was kind of gross since we only have a brother-sister relationship.

 

I slapped his head despite the . He was acting younger than me.

 

“More like I want to slam my head on the wall to forget.” I rolled my eyes and pushed him away.

 

He laughed and dragged me closer to him. He puffed his cheeks that made him look like a chipmunk. I tried to get away but he was stronger than me.

 

His playfulness was one of the reasons my relationship with him look intimate. Though, I have to admit that there are times that I can’t help but flirt. I guess it was a natural instinct to the opposite .

 

“Get a room!” One of the ahjummas howled.

 

I whipped my head to their direction and scowled. “You ahjummas need to have a social life!”

 

“Wha- Who- who are you calling ahjummas?!” Taecyon’s jaw fell open. It was evident that I insulted his male ego.

 

“Hmmm… Let me think.” I paused for an effect. “The fact that you are huddled together like old women gossiping. Ring a bell?” I raised a brow.

 

All of them laughed. Not just the members but also the staff around us. Apparently they never thought I would have the guts to challenge Taecyon the saber tooth.

 

Taecyon raised his hands up, admitting defeat and apologized. He knew he was getting on my nerves.

 

The door opened and caught our attention. “It’s time.”

 

The boys stood up from their seats and I followed. Their manager led the way together with the coordinator and had us standby near the stage. Microphones were immediately given to the guys and the stylists immediately checked if the was something amiss.

 

All of us were nervous as each second passed meant how much time were left before our turn.

 

“2PM you’re good to go” One of the staff in charge informed as soon as we saw IU finish her song.

 

Before going on stage, Wooyoung grabbed my attention and cheered. “Jinnie… break a leg! Don’t let the fans scare you”

 

“Easy for you to say. You’re not the one these girls will be jealous of.” I smiled nervously and stood in front of Taecyon as if we were talking.

 

SHOW TIME!

 

~~~~~

 

Minho

 

I saw the lights blink. 2pm’s performance was next and Nichkhun hyung told me that there would be a surprise. He didn’t tell me any details but he wanted me and the rest of the guys to watch.

 

He was very excited when he mentioned their coming comeback stage. He even told me that he wanted me to meet someone. I think it was some dancer who came not too long ago.

 

Because it was set in Music Core, I already knew it meant big budget set. Music Core allows managements to create sets that will allow a beautiful performance which will make a great impact for the group’s promotion.

 

My other co-members were beside me when 2pm’s performance started.

 

~Even if you leave me by 2pm~

 

~Wo~ Wooyoung began.

 

There was a female dancer in front of Taecyon. “I’m Sorry” Taecyon spoke and caressed her cheek. The red head looked up and put the idol’s hand down.

 

~No. No. No.~ Wooyoung walked across the two and looked at the audience.

 

~Even if you leave me~

 

Taecyon’s hand reached out for her. She turned her back from Taecyon, only to be intercepted by Wooyoung.

 

The group’s title song was different from their usual comeback track. It was quite sentimental and I can’t help myself but to watch. Even Jonghyun and the rest of my group was watching intently.

 

[Wooyoung]

Even if you leave me,

If I can watch over you,

I’m Happy, I’m Happy

That’s enough (for me)

 

Wooyoung held her hand and sang as if they were talking. She had a sad smile. I’m amazed that the dancer had a convincing expression on her face as if it was only the two of them.

 

[Junho]

Even If you’re in someone else’s arms,

If you remember me,

I’m Happy I’m Happy,

That’s enough (for me)

 

Junho was looking at the pair, who was walking pass him, with a wistful expression.

 

[Junsu] No~ The female dancer then, let go of Wooyoung’s hand and gracefully danced towards a male dancer.

 

The two dancers started to dance. They showed a scene a whole different setting for the pair. They were a happy couple.

 

[Chansung]

Don’t get sick,

Don’t skip meals to lose weight,

You have to laugh more,

More in front of him, beautifully

 

Chansung was sitting on what was supposed to be a café. He had a phone prop on his hand and sand with a microphone on the other hand. He showed a scene where he was saying a reminder to an old love.

 

The two dancers were dancing around the stage. It was a lyrical dance.

 

[Junho]

If you ever miss me, listen to this song

If he hurts you, listen to this song (no, no)

 

Junho  was walking backward and his back came in contact with Junsu, who sang right on cue.

 

[Junsu]

If you keep missing me, sing this song

It’s the last present I prepared for you (goodbye, goodbye)

 

The lights dimmed on the Jun brothers and the light was directed to Nichkhun and the couple, who separated.

 

[Nichkhun]

If he asks about me sometimes,

Say you don’t know me,

Say that you threw me away, it’s okay

 

Nichkhun and the female dancer was together in this part. They were sitting near each other and hyung was acting like he was finally letting her go.

 

The girl then, stood up from her seat and came crashing onto Wooyoung’s arms.

 

[Wooyoung]

If I can’t hold back

and end up calling you at night, Making you cry,

Go to his side and ask him to protect you, whoa~ whoa

 

She gracefully stepped backwards and joined the male dancer she was with earlier.

 

[Junho]

If you ever miss me, Listen to this song

If he hurts you, listen to this song (no, no)

 

[Junsu]

If you keep missing me, sing this song

It’s the last present I prepared for you (goodbye, goodbye)

 

[Taecyon]

Don’t look back at such an unfortunate person like me,

You don’t even have to remember me,

It’s not like I left any traces.

I never did anything for you anyway, so just turn back.

Every yearning is a luxury.

Erase me completely.

Be happy I beg of you. Live for yourself.

Forget me and live happily, live happily

 

The female dancer had her face turned towards the tallest member. Taecyon followed the pair, who dancing along the song. His voice had the angsty feel as if he was pushing a lover.

 

Then, the Jun brothers took the center stage, letting the two dancers disappear.

 

[Junho]I’m sorry that I can’t be by your side

 

The other members were still acting and moved according to their script.

 

[Junsu] After you left

 

[Junho]

If you keep missing me, sing this song

It’s the last present I prepared for you (goodbye, goodbye)

 

[Junsu]It’s the last present I prepared for you

 

At the last end, a spotlight was turned to the female dancer. She was looking at Junsu with a sad smile.

 

The lights dimmed after the last note.

 

2PM got off the stage from the other side. I could see the red-haired dancer being friendly with the 2pm guys.

 

“Definitely different from the usual comeback performance” Onew commented.

 

“I’m sure a lot of fans will be wondering who that dancer is.” Jonghyun said with an expression that he was also intrigued about the mystery dancer, who was the center of attraction from 2PM’s comeback. Even I, was also intrigued by her. She reminded me of someone. I just can’t put my finger on it.

 

Taemin called out my attention. “Is this what Nichkhun hyung meant?”

 

“I guess” I shrugged. Even I, wasn’t sure.

 

“This will be making headlines.” Key said as he checked his new hairstyle once again. It looked like a character from the Korean alphabet.

 

The show continued its course and as scheduled, we were next. Our song has an upbeat yet dark concept. We were supposed to be fallen angels.

 

The current concept made every fan girl cheer for us. As expected, fans loved the dark, forbidden and unattainable.

 

It was kind of weird that our title track was named, ‘RING DING DONG’. It was supposed to mean like a bell ringing when the right girl comes.

 

When manager-nim told us the title track, we almost fell off our seats from laughing. It was a silly title and yet fans love it. Maybe the fallen angel concept made up for the weird title.

 

The Choreography, clothes and our voices proved the industry that we’re called SHINee for a reason. A silly song title won’t hinder us to prove how good we are at what we do.

 

Even our hair attracted attention. Taemin’s hair was the same from the ‘Replay’ days but the color was different. Onew hyung’s hair made him look more mature instead of the boy next door look. Mine was grown longer and curled it a little. Key was most unique because of the cut and a little highlight on the bangs. Let’s not forget Jonghyun hyung’s since his was a combination of blonde to dark brown. It was totally different and yet it suits him. 

 

Our stage performance ended quite nicely. When the music program was about to finish, the host were about to announce the winner for that week’s episode.

 

Everyone were huddled in groups and I was with my group, SHINee.

 

“This week’s Music Core winner is…”

 

“SHINee!”

 

Yes! I jumped in joy when I heard our name called.

 

We won another award! I turned my head and saw Jonghyun almost cried again. He was such a cry baby and Onew hyung was also getting teary-eyes as well. The hyungs were always emotional on every award we receive. No matter how many have received, the feeling doesn’t fade.

 

I hugged Taemin, who was nearest to me. His smile was as wide as mine. “Hyung we won!”

 

“I know” I grinned and messed his hair.

 

Taemin was too happy to care about his hair and just broke our embrace and talk to the other idols who congratulated us.

 

“Yah Minho-yah Congrats!” Nichkhun hyung came behind me.

 

“Thanks Nichkhun hyung!”

 

“Let’s talk later. I’ll introduce you to our friend”

 

“Hyung don’t tell me you’re setting me up” I groaned. I can’t believe he was doing the same thing my co-members are doing.

 

“Well it’s about time for you to get involve with someone” He reasoned out.

 

The music cue started and we were about to sing. I left Nichkhun hyung and joined my group mates. Just when we were in the middle of the song, something went wrong.

 

The audience started pointing at the ceiling. At first, Taemin, Key and the rest of the guys didn’t get what they mean. It was too late when we found out and I got the worse of it.

 

Onew and I were the farthest from getting off the stage. I saw the metal bar keeping the lighting equipment together, gave in and we were on its path. Without thinking, I quickly pushed Onew hyung out of the way.

 

I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms over my head to protect myself. I waited for the worst.

 

My body was filled with adrenaline that I was perfectly aware of what was happening. I fell with a loud thud and people were screaming. Some part of my body hurts but I don’t know which part.

 

The heavy equipment was trapping me.

 

“MINHO!” Someone called out my name. I opened my eyes and saw people running towards me.

 

“HAEJIN!” Taecyon screamed in terror. For a moment I was confused on who he meant.

 

I tried to move. My hands searched for something I could hold on. That was when I touched something wet. I moved my hand to my line of vision and realized that the wet substance was blood.

 

My eyes searched for any wounds and from the corner of my eye, it was only then that I realized that I wasn’t alone.

 

There was a figure beside me. The red hair made me recognize who it was.

 

She was the female dancer in 2pm’s performance. I stared at her in horror.

 

The horrifying thing was that she was the one covered in blood not me.

 

My hand reached for her and brushed the hair aside from her forehead. There was a lot of blood covering her face. I couldn’t take a good look of her face.

 

I tried to rouse her to wake but she did not move. Her breath was shallow and it frightened me. “She’s Bleeding!” I shouted.

 

“CALL AN AMBULANCE!” Someone shouted among the crowd.

 

“Minho! Christ are you okay? Talk to me.”  My manager almost screamed on my ears before I realized he was right beside me. His face was drained of its color. Onew hyung, Jjong, Key and Taemin were just behind him, looking all pale and shaken.

 

I wanted to speak but I couldn’t find my voice. I just directed my eyes on the unconscious fellow beside me to tell them of my concern.

 

The whole 2pm was already by the dancer’s side. Shock etched on their faces, especially Wooyoung’s. They were all shaking.

 

“Oh God Haejin” Wooyoung hyung trembled as he touched the dancer’s face.

 

Looking at how he cared for the dancer, made me feel jealous; an emotion that I thought I had already forgotten. I don’t really know why I should feel that way. Maybe it was because of the shock of what just happened or the familiarity Wooyoung hyung was showing to her.

 

I haven’t had that kind of feeling for a long time.

 

After a few minutes, help came.

 

“Okay guys Out of the way! The medics are coming” One of the staff informed us.

 

“Just relax Minho. You’ll both be free in a few minutes.” My manager reluctantly left my side and let the medical personnel do their work.

 

I just nodded.

 

It took the medical team to take us out. A lot of people helped in moving the large metal, trapping me and the dancer. When the metal bar was lifted, medics took care of the dancer, who was in worst condition than I am.

 

“OPPA!” I heard someone from the audience calling me.

 

They were worried about me and I think it should be fair enough to assure them. Everyone just witnessed a traumatic incident.

 

I raised one hand in the air and formed my fingers into an ‘OK’ sign. Voices sounded a little relieved but still concerned.

 

I wasn’t the only one hurt and I am still confused how she got into the picture.

 

The medical personnel carried us out of the studio as soon as they were sure that they administered first aid to both of us.

 

Camera flashes were everywhere as soon as we were taken out of the studio. Security detail parted the crowd like the red sea, letting us pass smoothly.

 

We were both rushed to the hospital. My co-members including our manager followed me all the way to the hospital. 2pm and their staff did the same. When we arrived, the press were already waiting outside.

 

More security guys rushed to our side as soon as the medic opened the door. The press were trying to take a good shot of us. My manager covered my face and saw that the other company was doing the same to their dancer.

 

Once we were inside the hospital, everything was history.

 

I ended up with a sore body and a leg injury. It was nothing too serious unlike hers.

 

2pm’s female dancer was still unconscious when I last saw her. I was moved to a private room before I could ask about her.

 

I hoped and pray that she would be alright.

 

All members waiting inside when I arrived.

 

“Guys what happened?” I asked Onew hyung. Things were still unclear for me and I wanted answers.

 

“Later Minho. Right now, you need to rest.” Jonghyun hyung helped me get settled on the bed. No one answered my question. They just looked worried about me and at the same time relieved. 

 

I felt how tired I was when Jonghyun hyung mentioned rest. Exhaustion was overpowering me that I just gave in and slept.

 


 

WOHOO AT LAST THERE IS NO STOPPING THE 2 TOGETHER!

LET THE LOVE STRUGGLES BEGIN!

Don't worry part 2 is coming up soon.

Thanks for reading!