Decisions

Forget Our Memories

 

011: Decisions

 

---HAE JIN---

 

I thought my life would have revolved in being a dancer and if I got lucky I would be able to be a choreographer.

 

Never has it crossed my mind that I would be given an opportunity to fulfil the dreams I had abandoned after the death of my family.

 

Because of the incident that placed me on news headlines, I started receiving interview requests, CF(commercial) offers and even acting contracts.

 

There was even a fan club created for me.

 

It was a surreal experience.

 

This was all because I saved Choi Minho, SHINee’s rapper.

 

I discovered all this when I received a call from one of JYP’s staff telling me to meet with JYP himself.

 

When I arrived in JYP’s office, I was surprised to see Lee Soo Man aka. SM himself in the same room.

 

“Ann-yeong” I bowed in greeting.

 

The same queasy feeling I had when meeting SM back then was back. He had the same aura of power and fearlessness that every trainee and artists have been cautious about.

 

I tried my best not to look uncomfortable in front of the two biggest names in the industry.

 

JYP beamed at me and motioned for me to sit. “Ah, Haejin-ah. I’m glad you’re recovering.”

 

“Thank you JYP.” I answered as I sat down.

 

From the corner of my eyes, I was watching SM, who was staring at me the whole time.

 

“I’m sorry for saying this but have I seen you before?” SM said to me.

 

“Soo man, you know her?” JYP looked at him, interested.

 

“I’m not sure. You know we have seen tons of faces but her face strike me the most. It’s like I’ve met this girl before.”

 

“Sanghee-sshi Have you met him?” JYP asked me.

 

I jumped a little at the question. I was surprised that SM somehow recognized me.

 

“I’m afraid not, JYP.”

 

I had to lie. “I’m afraid not, but perhaps you remembered my sister who was a former trainee of your company.”

 

“Oh! You have a sister?” A flicker of interest was glance in my way from SM.

 

“Ah, yes. Though, she passed away a few years ago.”

 

“I’m so sorry about that.”

 

“No. It’s okay. It happened a long time ago.” I replied with a half-hearted smile.

 

Sooman sincerely said. “Too bad. I would have wanted to meet her.”

 

I looked at him and I was confused of why I was called suddenly. “Uhm… If you don’t mind me asking, why am I here?”

 

JYP was the one who explained the situation. “Well, because of your heroic act, Sooman wanted to make an offer. He wants you to work with you.”

 

Shock was clear on my face. What does that mean? I looked at my boss.

 

“But I’m already under your company. Am I in trouble?”

 

They chuckled and JYPE answered my question. “We didn’t mean it like that. What JYP meant is a collaboration. We heard from Nichkhun-sshi that you can sing and we want to see if we can use that talent of yours.” An ‘o’ formed on my lips when they mentioned Nichkhun.

 

“Are you saying that you’re giving me an opportunity to debut as a singer?”

 

The two biggest people in the entertainment industry straightened themselves as SME’s president, Lee Sooman clarified. “To be more specific, your debut will be a collaboration with singers. After that, we’ll see if we can launch your own album.”

 

“Really?” I couldn’t help but be in awe. It was like a dream. Could this be real?

 

“Yes, my dear.” JYP smiled at me like a father would to her daughter.

 

“You’ll be part of a joint project of SM and JYP. You’ll be the first under the label.” I heard a hint of excitement in SM’s voice as he said this.

 

I suddenly fell quiet, unable to process what I was hearing all at once.

 

“Haejin?”

 

“Huh?” I snapped out of my thoughts when JYP called my name.

 

“Do you want the opportunity?” He asked.

 

Being an idol was a dream for me before my life got complicated. Even after giving it up, deep inside, I still wanted to be one. Though, right now I was happy just being able to dance onstage. If I took the next step, will it be alright?

 

“I’m not sure.” This was the truth. I wasn’t sure if I should take it.

 

I wanted to, but I had always been afraid of taking steps. If my best friend didn’t sent the audition tape, I wouldn’t even be here. My doubt wasn’t because of Minho. Maybe there was a part, but saying yes to the chance of being an idol was different. It’s my dream.

 

Lee Sooman was surprised by my answer. Most people would have readily agreed with his proposal along with JYP but considering that it was happening to me was the surprise.

 

“Sooman. I think we should give her time to think about it. It’s a big surprise for her.”

 

“Ok.” SM’s president nodded and stood up from his seat. He paused and looked at me. “If you know what your answer will be, tell JYP. I’ll be keeping in touch.”

 

With that, he left.

 

JYP gave me the rest of the day to think. I wandered around the company and ended up in front of 2pm’s practice rooms.

 

I stopped and saw each member dancing like it was their final performance. They already learned the choreography of the song long ago but despite that, they were still practicing.

 

My mood lightened up at their passion in performing. They were great and I wanted to be like them.

 

The music ended and they all paused in their final positions. Their managers applauded for a job well done and announced a break.

 

At the mention of rest, they all collapsed on the ground gasping for air. That was when Wooyoung noticed me and jumped to his feet and rushed to give me a hug.

 

“HAEJIN!”

 

I cringed at the sight of a sweaty Wooyoung rushing to hug me. He was only a few feet away from me when I dodged him and hid behind their manager, who was the only dry one.

 

“Please get him away from me!”

 

The manager laughed and pushed the idol away. .” He was used with me visiting their practices as I have grown close with the whole group. “Wooyoung! I don’t think she’ll like your sweaty scent on her “

 

Wooyoung stopped and his eyes widened in horror as he smelled himself. “Is it really that bad?”

 

“YES!” Everyone answered and laughed.

 

“So what brings you here?” Junsu asked.

 

“Nothing. I was thinking about something.” I replied honestly.

 

“Is it about the proposal?” Nichkhun suddenly asked and caused a stir among his co-memnbers.

 

“What proposal?!” Taecyon exclaimed and looked at their foreign member, wide-eyed.

 

Chansung dropped the food that was in his mouth with an expression of shock. “Nichkhun hyung, Did you proposed to her?!”

 

The food that fell had been chewed a few times and it was unrecognizable. My face formed a disgusted look and looked away from Chansung’s mess.

 

After hearing, Chansung’s comment, everybody else went to shock.

 

“WHAT?!” Then, Junho rushed towards Nichkhun with a frantic look.

 

Taecyon glared at him and scolded. “Yah! Why didn’t you tell me you got the hots for our little dancer?”

 

The rest of the group started speculating and circled the non-Korean member. Looking at them act like interrogators was funny and I laughed hard.

 

“STOP!” I said between my laugh. Nichkhun was looking at me for help while the “JUN brothers” were seriously demanding answers from him.

 

They didn’t hear me. “You got it all wrong.” I almost screamed the words before they heard me. Most of the members had their hands on Nichkhun’s shirt and they were pulling it on different directions.

 

“First of all, what he meant was JYP & SM asked me to join a music label that they have made together.”

 

“OOH” The rest of the group except for Nickhun mouthed. Slowly, they released him.

 

“So what did you say?” Junho asked excitedly.

 

“I haven’t given my answer yet. I’m not sure if I-” I started to answer and I was cut off by my closest friend, Wooyoung.

 

“My Goodness Haejin! What is there to think of? You love the stage and this is your chance!” He face-palmed himself and eyed me in disbelief.

 

“It’s never that easy. I’m afraid that this will turn out to be a dream and-”

 

Junho pinched me hard on the cheeks and I yelped in pain.

 

“See? It’s not a dream.” He smiled.

 

“If you’re scared, you have us supporting you all the way.” Junsu patted me on the shoulder.

 

“Don’t forget us managers! We’ll be rooting for you!”

 

I chuckled. Just like the idols they are taking care of, they were goofy.

 

“I think even Carol will be so happy for you” Taecyon flashed his toothy grin.

 

I was touched by their faith in me. They were right. There was nothing to be afraid of. This has been a dream and even if it lasts for a short while, I’m sure it will be worth it.

 

“So? What’s your decision?”

 

“I guess…” she smiled bigger. “It’s a yes.”

 

Everyone cheered at her answer and ended lifting her up. She squealed in surprise but later on enjoyed the moment.

 

---------

 

“Welcome to DREAM Entertainment.”


I know that I have been away for a long time and this might not be enough....

Though, I hope you'll like it.