Stop Running.

Forget Our Memories

--Minho—


 

Bruised and exhausted, I was sitting in our living room surrounded by my co-members and manager.

 

I was hoping to be spared of the interrogation but I realized it was impossible when I saw my face on the rear view mirror of the van on our way home.

 

I looked hideous.

 

“Why aren’t telling us?!”My manager was biting my head off.

 

My face was swollen and I was numb from the painkillers I took.

 

I was tired and could barely keep my eyes open.

 

I wanted to sleep but my manager wasn’t letting me go until I tell who had beaten me up.

 

We had already received a call from the management and they weren’t happy with my so-called handsome face becoming a wreck. They wanted to sue whoever did it but I kept my lips sealed.

 

It was my personal business.

 

“Just leave it be. I’ll settle this on my own.”I stubbornly said.

 

I was seated comfortable on our dorm couch. An ice pack was pressed to my cheek.

 

My vision was not well since both eyes were almost shut. I have to say that Alex has a mean streak in him and I didn’t expect it one bit.

 

Our manager sighed and glared at me in frustration. “You’re hopeless. Whatever!” He raised his hands in defeat. “Do what you want. I don’t care.”

 

After that, he slammed the door on his way outside.

 

All 4 members of the group stared at me. I could guess that they knew why I ended up like this. Onew was not amused. He crossed his arms waiting for the information spill out from my lips. Key was rolling his eyes at my foolishness. Jonghyun looked curious while Taemin was looking real worried.

 

“What did you do this time?”Onew asked.

 

I kept my mouth shut. At times like this, silence was my best weapon of choice.

 

Onew was really patient. He waited for me to speak, he kept his arms crossed and stood there.

 

Minutes passed by but he didn’t made any indication that he was going anywhere until I answer his question.

 

A frustrated breath came out of my mouth and dreadfully looked at our leader. “You’re really not going to let me go, aren’t you?”

 

He didn’t have to answer my question. His expression said the answer I needed.

 

Nope. He wasn’t going to let this go. He was determined to know what I was hiding.

 

“It’s complicated Onew-hyung.”

 

“Do you think I care if it’s complicated Minho?” Onew raised a brow at him. “I’m this group’s leader but I’m also your friend Minho.”

 

“Hyung… There are things that I can’t tell even if it’s you. Please respect that.” I begged.

 

Now wasn’t the right time to tell.

 

Onew-hyung looked at me straight in the eyes for a long time. I was determined to fix my problem myself and I knew he was looking for some excuse to use his age against me.

 

I kept my eyes on him and tried not to flinch.

 

He looked away first and ruffled his hair in frustration at my stubbornness.

 

Onew groaned.“This is hopeless. If this continues, my hair would have turned all white by next year!”

 

“It’s probably related to Ji-Haejin.”Key said out of the blue. He bit his lips at his almost mistake.

 

He thought I didn’t catch it but I let it slide.

 

I had let them think that I was still clueless about Haejin.

 

“No. It’s not.”I lied.

 

“Really?” He appeared unconvinced.

 

“Really. Mind your own business.”I rolled my eyes and winced. Even with the slightest movement, hurts.

 

Alex was really strong. I had to remind myself to be careful next time.

 

It was useless to convince them or rather continue lying to them. I had to get myself out of this situation.“I’m gonna head to bed. You guys should too. You have schedules.”

 

I didn’t wait for them to answer. I stood up and head for my room.

 

When I was finally alone in my room, my phone rang.

 

Suzy was calling me.

 

For a moment, I contemplated whether or not to answer.

 

It was cruel to ignore her. She was worried for me.

 

We were dating. Suzy was entitled to worry.

 

“Hello Suzy, I’m sorry I didn’t call you sooner. Got an earful from my manager.” I kept my tone light.

 

“It’s fine. I heard you got hurt.” Her tone really proved that she was worried.

 

I felt guilty. I was dating her and yet, I wasn’t telling her about my real feelings.

 

I knew I was using her as a safety net if I get hurt.

 

“Minho oppa? Are you listening to me?”

 

I didn’t realize that I zoned out. I sighed.“Sorry Suzy, I’m just tired and I can’t think straight at the moment.” I lied. I was in no mood for a conversation.

 

She frowned, probably thinking if she did something wrong.

 

I rubbed my brows to loosen the tension I was feeling and assured her. Suzy was a nice girl and she didn’t deserve to be dragged into my problem.

 

Soon, I had to do something about it.

 

“Sorry oppa. I’m just worried about you. Rest a lot and see you soon. I’m really glad you’re okay.”

 

“Yeah… see you soon.”

 

I ended the call with a guilty heart.

 


--Haejin—


 

Taemin and I were on his label’s rooftop. The place was transformed to a small open café haven that just opened less than a month ago.

 

I took a careful sip of my cappuccino.

 

“Is he alright?” I asked as I pretended not to be aware of Minho’s injuries.

 

Taemin nodded. “His face looks horrible but he’s really fine. SME gave him a vacation until his face is all healed.”

 

“I bet Sooman wasn’t happy.”

 

“The management wasn’t happy but Sooman sounded unusually calm. He just told us to watch out for Minho and warned us to never let this happen again.”

 

“That’s weird. He’s usually the scary guy we all watch out for.”

 

“Noona. Sooman-nim really changed since you ‘died’. He had our contracts revised and most artists if not all are really content with the company.” Taemin leaned back on his chair and smiled. “He’s allowing artists to date. But there are still conditions.”He added.

 

“Then… he’s a lucky guy. Vacations are still hard to come by, right?”Haejin concluded with a forced smile.

 

She was still feeling guilty for not telling her friend the truth of what happened.

 

He smiled before drinking his coffee. “You got that right.”

 

They took their time with their drinks.

 

The atmosphere was still awkward but not completely uncomfortable.

 

“So… How’s life?” Her friend suddenly asked.

 

She wrapped her hands on her mug and furrowed her brows. “What do you mean?”

 

“Well… considering you were gone in our lives for three years, I want to know what you did all those years.” He said with a grin.

 

I couldn’t help but chuckle. It felt stupid to catch up with all the drama going on with our lives.

 

But I indulged him.

 

I picked up my cup and breathed in the scent.

 

“I fell into depression when ‘that’happened.” I forced a smile. “It wasn’t easy. I didn’t know what to do. My parents were gone and that practically means that I’m an orphan with no degree whatsoever.”

 

“Noona.” He gave me a pitying look.

 

I waved him off and scolded him. “Don’t you give me those pitying looks, I survived. I got lucky when the family lawyer paid me a visit. He saved my life. ”

 

“Why didn’t you tell Hyung you’re alive?”

 

“I don’t want to be a burden. It might sound like I’m some martyr.  I’m not a martyr. I also did it for myself.” I admitted.

 

For years, I was lying to myself that I was doing it for him. But in my heart, it wasn’t the whole truth. I was scared.

 

So I survived. But what does that entail for the both of them?

 

Minho would be out of his mind if he supported me. That was insane. No kid in their age would do that.

 

“I get that. But don’t you think it’s time to stop running.” Hearing that from Taemin, I truly realized that I missed out a lot. He had grown mature over the years.

 

“I’m not running.” I denied pathetically. Yes. I was running. I was still scared out of my mind.

 

Always, even before… I was scared of facing my problems.

 

Nothing changed about that fact.

 

“YES YOU ARE.”

 

Somebody spoke behind her.

 

I instinctively looked behind and almost dropped her cup when she saw Key.

 

“Key!”I gasped his name.

 

My old friend had his arms crossed, looking a bit like the diva he was and will always will be. Key sat between me and Taemin and looked at me with an appraising glance.

 

“Your fashion sense improved a bit.”He said with a slight smirk.

 

“Hey!” I smiled a bit, not a bit offended by his words. It felt nice to face my friends as me. Tears were pooling on my eyes.

 

“From what I heard you should really stop running. It would save everyone from the trouble you guys would create if someone discovers the truth.”Key said, continuing on the issue at hand.

 

“How much have you heard?”I asked, wondering how much has he heard.

 

“You don’t really pay attention to your surroundings.” Key rolled his eyes. “I was sitting behind you and listened to the entire conversation.”

 

I shook my head and stared at my drink. “Once you start running, it’s hard to stop. I don’t know how.”

 

Both SHINee members sighed. Key look exasperated while Taemin was at lost on what to say.

 

“You guys are really something.”Key looked like he wanted to mess his hair in his frustration.

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

He rolled his eyes and pointed to me.“You guys deserve each other. Minho keeps running after you while you keep running away. When will you stop running? Don’t you think Minho deserves to be happy? You should also be happy. Stop being scared and face him. It would save everyone from a headache.”

 

“And you have a lot of making up to do”Taemin added.

 

They were right. I felt guilty and bit my lips.

 

“What will you do now?”They asked.

 

I shrugged and looked at them. “Maybe it’s time to tell our boss the truth about me.”

 

“You’re running again.”

 

“Told you it’s hard to stop.” I said.