Connection

Forget Our Memories

Connection


 

--- Haejin ----

 

 

It felt so strange to be standing outside the office after my conversation with one of my boss, Lee Sooman.

 

Just standing there putting the pieces together...

 

At one point, I was waiting for him to change his mind and get security to me out, but I don’t think any of that is happening.

 

Both my body and mind was still slow on the uptake of the whole thing. My whole body felt numb while my mind was trying to process everything that happened inside that room.

 

Minho was still here waiting for me. He walked towards me, but stopped a couple of feet away from me. He still had the same defeated look from our earlier conversation. I could guess that he was thinking the worst scenario.

 

Seeing him sent both my mind and body up to speed. My knees buckled and landed unhurt on the floor. Tears fully spilled from eyes and I let myself cry.

 

Minho rushed to my side and cradled my body, uncaring of what the secretary might think of us. I was too caught up in my own thoughts and emotions to pay her attention.  

 

I can’t believe it.  I replayed the scene in my head and watched Sooman taking every word from my lips quietly without judgement.

 

I can still remember my limbs shaking as I go through the different emotions while I tell him the story of my real past. There was fear, sadness, and guilt. As I told him the truth, I wished I could have told him sooner. Maybe if I did, I wouldn’t be so scared.

 

“I’m sorry for lying all these years. I didn’t want this to happen. Please believe me on this. All I wanted was to live and try again to go with my old life. It was selfish of me and I will accept any consequences. I deserve them.” I finished remorsefully. I couldn’t look at him straight in the eyes.

 

He was still quiet for a full minute when I finished speaking. I bit my lip nervously, completely fearing what Minho had thought.

 

“This is totally not what I had in mind when you said you wanted to talk to me.” One of my bosses, Sooman honestly said to me. There was something in his expression that said that he didn’t know what to do.  “I would have reacted a little better if it was some scandal with someone, a health issue or even a request for a break.” He motioned to me and sighed. “But this.... ”

 

I had to look at him and he looked at me like how a concerned school counsellor would look to his student when it’s clearly something of a big screw up.

 

“This is big Skye. A lot of people had been affected by that incident. It’s not just me, Minho or you. Lots of people and I can’t even enumerate them all.” He told me.

 

I nodded stiffly. “I know and I’m prepared for any punishment.”

 

“I can’t make a decision on my own. You’re not my artist but JYP’s as well. Have you told him of this yet?”

 

I shook my head vigorously and put my hands together to stop them from trembling. The thought of saying the same thing t my other boss was enough to bring me to a brink of panicking. My heart felt like it was going to give up any moment. I was scared but shove fear deep inside me. Part of me scolded myself for not doing it with both of my bosses present. The same fear and problem would be there but at least, it will all be over in one go. Unlike in my present situation, I have to worry about JYP’s reaction when I tell him the truth about me.

 

My boss, Sooman clasped his hands together with his hands touching the wood table separating us. He still kept his eyes on me and spoke again.

 

“This is a delicate situation and it’s simply not something that could be decided in a day. And we still have to tell JYP about this. Only then will I have the decision.”

 

Was that it? No screaming? Threats to be blacklisted or anything near violent?

 

I waited for a long moment to be berated for wasting his time and money but it didn’t come.  “You’re not mad at me? Are you not going to kick me out?” I said to him in a numbed surprise.

 

“Mad? A bit. Maybe it still hasn’t sunk into me yet, but I can’t say that I blame you for not telling. You were young and lost your whole family at that time. It was a hard time for you and I was a different man back then. ” He said and a small smile quirked on his lips. “Life has a funny way of changing us. That time not only changed you but other people as well.”

 

He patted my shoulder. “Things have changed since then, though this is still something that needs to be addressed with JYP. Nothing is certain until I get to talk to him about this.  He might think differently about this situation but in my part, I’m not really mad enough to kick you out. There are still concerns in which couldn’t be settled without JYP. Until then, you’re still considered an artist of Dream Entertainment.”

 

 

------Minho-------

 

I feared the worst after seeing her so quiet and suddenly bursting into tears.

 

My arms enveloped her in a comforting embrace as she cried. I let her face be buried on my chest and just held her. All I could care about was her.

 

The things around me felt unimportant. I needed to know what passed in that room. There was a great possibility it will hurt me but I need to know.

 

“What did he say?” I asked quietly.

 

“Not here.” She said in between sobs.

 

I nodded and sent a message to Taemin, telling him to meet us at the parking lot. I gathered Skye in my arms and carried her out. She didn’t even protest. This was the time to have the privacy she and I needed.

 

Nichkhun was still around when I met Taemin in the parking lot. He looked worriedly at Haejin in my arms. It felt awkward having her in my arms when the public sees her as Nichkhun’s girlfriend. I forced myself to hand her over the Thai-idol.

 

“People might ask if I’m too close to her.” I explained quietly.

 

Nichkhun nodded and easily balanced her weight on his arms. 

 

Taemin was the same. He didn’t say a word but the expression on his face was enough to tell how concerned he was.  

 

We all got in the car and drove away. No one had their own house but we thought going to Skye’s dorm might be the best idea since 2pm’s dorm was also at the same building. The public would be less suspicious with a couple of SHINee members hanging out with the couple.

 

I guessed Taemin sent our leader a message after we left the dorm. I was a little too focused on one thing and occasionally let the younger one handle the rest.

 

The whole drive was quiet except for the call Nichkhun with Skye’s manager. There wasn’t much to talk about since Haejin fell asleep after crying. 

 

When we arrived at her dorm, Alex, her manager was already waiting below. Surprisingly, no fans were hanging around the building. Someone must have tipped them of the idols living in the building out on their schedules. Lucky for us, we don’t have to keep appearances.

 

Skye woke up just before I parked the car. She was still a little out of it.

 

I was the last one to get out of the car and was greeted with a smirk from Skye’s manager.  “Good. You’re healing well.” He said as he got a good look at me.

 

I winced and kept my distance from him. He was smaller than me but he could pack a mean punch. I still remember how well his fists got acquainted with my face. “I wish I could say the same but I didn’t even get to defend myself.”

 

Alex laughed and escorted us inside.

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about this? I’m your manager and I deserved to know things like this!” Alex ranted off as soon as we got inside Haejin’s apartment.

 

Skye jumped at his voice. She clearly looked guilty for hiding things from her manager.

 

The rest of us cringe. I could understand where her manager was coming from. Even I was angry when I heard about her plan.

 

“You didn’t know hyung?” Taemin quietly asked.

 

Skye’s manager abruptly turned his head in Taemin’s attention. “If I did know, would I be reacting like this?!” His voice went a notch higher, clearly angry for Skye keepings things from him.

 

“I’m sorry Alex. It’s just…”

 

“Nevermind.” Her manager sighed and sat down. “Just tell us what Sooman told you”

 

 “Is…..” I swallowed hard. “Is he going to remove you from the company?”

 

“Come on Haejin-ah. Tell us what happened. ”

 

Everyone looked tense, waiting patiently on what Sooman had said to her. It was safe to think that we’re all afraid of hearing the words we didn’t want to her.

 

Slowly, she told us.  “He said that it’s still too early to decide. He needed JYP’s opinion as well.” She wrapped her arms around herself for comfort.

 

She looked afraid. I wanted to hug her but with the present company, it didn’t seem appropriate. I sat there with the others, watching her continue on. “I think he’s concerned that this could be a source of a scandal if someone found out and that meant it’s a great risk. I won’t even blame him if he would drop me. I’m relieved that he won’t sue me for the lies.”

 

Hearing that from her had me sighing a little with relief. She won’t be sued. I wanted to jump and scream at the news but there was still uncertainty with her career. There was still a great chance that her contract would be cancelled. There’s still a great chance for penalty if her contract’s terminated.

 

Nichkhun and Taemin thought the same.

 

“That’s good news!” Taemin smiled.

 

“Not really. It’s not an assurance it will go well on our side.” Alex replied.

 

“It’s fine guys. All I wanted to was to tell the truth. That’s all that matters. ” For some reason, I still don’t believe her words.

 

Would someone really be happy even at the risk of their own careers? It’s hard to believe that.

 

 

 

Night came and Nichkhun and Taemin left ahead of me. The two idols still have things to do while I have free time until my face heals up.

 

I remained behind and Alex didn’t seem to mind. Now that he knew my history with Haejin, he gave us some privacy to talk. This time, I won’t be misunderstood.

 

We sat face to face with each other. She kept her arms around herself while I watched her until I ran out of patience.

 

“Are you really not afraid?” I asked her.

 

She smiled at me and chuckled. “Who said I wasn’t afraid? Believe or not, even though I decided to stop lying about who I am, I’m still afraid of its consequences. I’m happy living this life in a sense. I have my dream and I got to meet the people I missed. Also, I’m thankful I got to meet you again. ”

 

“Me?” I was surprised she even thought of me. From what I could remember from our encounters, she avoided me.

 

“Yes. You. I was hesitant at first, wanting you to move on, but seeing you again made me happy. ” She answered softly.  Her eyes were downcast, avoiding looking at me on the eyes.

 

Her honesty caught my breath away. Every second only made her more beautiful to me and had me falling in love deeper. I thought I couldn’t fall in love deeper but she never failed to prove me wrong.

 

“Then why do it? Why risk the life you built?” I moved closer and sat down beside her, she still wouldn’t look at me.

 

“I told you before. Not being able to be who I am was eating me up. I wouldn’t last if I kept lying. And also, I wanted to face you as the girl you met all those years ago when life wasn’t as complicated as it is now.”

 

 My own lips tilted up as her words kept a gentle grip on my heart. I moved my free hand to touch her cheek and made a vow. She was the one. I’m sure of it. Even if this thing separates us, I won’t let it. This time, I’ll fight for us. Things have changed. I’m stronger now.

 

“No matter what happens, I won’t let you go again.” I said to her.

 

A nostalgic smile formed from her lips when she leaned on my touch. “I’m not asking you to. I only wanted to be free of the lies”

 

Bolder as I heard her words, I wrapped my arms around her and rest my chin on her shoulder. “Does this mean what I think it is?”

 

She rested her cheek on mine.

 

“You tell me.”

 

I think I am the happiest man on earth.


 

Double update~