Back From the Dead

Forget Our Memories

008: Back from the dead

 

---HAE JIN---

 

It took me awhile to persuade Taecyon and Wooyoung to take a rest back at their dorm instead of the hospital. I had to make a silly promise to both of them that I will grant them one favor once I get out of the hospital.

 

We argued for quite some time, but in the end they won and I agreed. In the back of my mind, I already knew that one day I’ll regret making that promise.

 

The following day looked like it would be the same as the previous day. Though, I think it had become worse.

 

“Do you need anything?”

 

“Are feeling any discomforts?”

 

At first they were asking about my health.

 

“Are you really that dancer who saved SHINee’s Choi Minho?”

 

“Can I get an autograph?”

 

After a while, the questions went from professional to unprofessional. They started to ask about connections towards the JYP artists and the issue I’m involved in.

 

The questions never seemed to stop and getting on my nerves.

 

Nurses stopped by every hour checking on me.

 

It would have been pleasant if they were all professional. But, most of them weren’t. They were all hungry for information that I wasn’t willing to give.

 

I’m beginning to regret making the guys go home.

 

Karma.

 

I swear if someone bothered me again I’m gonna bite their head off.

 

“Excuse me.” Someone snapped me out of my thoughts.

 

I was facing the window that I didn’t see who it was. My patience had already at its final straw because of the last person who came by, asked if she could have any of 2pm sunbae’s number. Am I a phone directory? Hell no.

 

My uninjured hand formed a fist and I barked at the guy who spoke. “WHAT?!”

 

I whipped my head in his direction at the same time. I’m sure my eyes weren’t as kind as it normally was.

 

Then, I saw the man who always lurked in my dreams.

 

The man I wished he could still be the one.

 

MINHO

 

My friends including our manager still refused to let me go and visit the dancer who saved my life. Luckily, I managed to grab an opportunity to get away.

 

I had to ask nurses where she was and they guided me without any trouble. They even offered me but I refused. It would be awkward.

 

Her room was in a different floor but thanks to the nurse who pointed where her room was, I found it without trouble.

 

“Excuse me.” My voice came out a little shaky. I was a little nervous about meeting her for the first time.

 

Her back was facing me and she had her attention elsewhere when I called.

 

She had a cast on her left arm and a bandage wrapped around her forehead. Just by looking at her on where I was standing, she really took the hit.

 

Now, I’m not really sure if I should thank her. Apologizing might be the better option.

 

I didn’t bother knocking since the door was left open.

 

For some reason, I suddenly felt unnaturally afraid.

 

“WHAT?!” She answered angrily.

 

I think I came by at the wrong time, I thought.

 

She turned her face to face me and I got the shock of the lifetime.

 

It might even be an understatement.

 

The last person I never thought I would see to this day showed up in my life.

 

“JIN” It came out in an almost whisper. The name tasted so familiar and yet so strange when it rolled in my tongue.

 

Seeing her felt like an invisible force slamming to my gut. I staggered a little and I had my hand grab on to the nearest thing I could grasp.

 

Ji Eun…

 

I saw the shock from her eyes when she saw me.

 

Her face was the same as it was when I last saw them. Touched them.

 

“Ji Eun” I called out her name. My voice trembled.

 

She shouldn’t be alive. Her ashes had been buried. It’s impossible.

 

My body moved and I stepped forward. She flinched when I moved.

 

I didn’t recognize her that night on stage. Her new fiery red hair didn’t made me look twice. I saw her as a different person.

 

All these years I believed she died and yet right now, I am seeing her breathing, injured, and looking at me as if I was also the last person she expected.

 

I made no attempt to stop and approached her step by step. With every step I took, there was no denying that the woman in front of me is Jieun.

 

My Jieun.

 

She didn’t move, just frozen in her place.

 

“You’re really here.” My fingers touched her cheek and felt her soft skin.

 

Her eyes were the same chocolate colored ones. The lips I missed were slightly parted.

 

She wasn’t a figment of my imagination. She was right in front of me.

 

Water was leaking from my eyes. I didn’t realize I was crying.

 

“Please be real.” My lips were only inches from hers.

 

The old memories of our past resurfaced.

 

“I-” Tears were also welling down her eyes.

 

Then, someone interrupted.

 

“Yohoo! Surpri- oh!”

 

She shook her head and moved away from me. I held her hand refusing any more distance between us.

 

We both looked at the intruder and saw Nichkhun hyung holding some presents.

 

He looked surprised to see me.

 

“Minho! You’re here!” He was completely oblivious about what was happening.

 

I moved away from Jieun and smiled awkwardly at him. “It’s nice to see you hyung.”

 

He then turned his attention to Jieun. “Haejin How are you doing? Had a pretty rough day yesterday with the two, didn’t you?”

 

Haejin? “Who’s Haejin?”

 

“She is.” Hyung pointed out Jieun.

 

My hold on her loosened and she took that opportunity to take her hand away from me. When she pulled away, I could help but feel hurt.

 

She was staring at me with those eyes I always dreamed about.

 

“You’re Haejin?”

 

She nodded and pursed her lips as if trying to stop any voice from coming out.

 

I shook my head and stared straight to her eyes, searching for my lost love. “No. You’re Jieun! Tell me!” My hands grabbed for her shoulders.

 

She trembled and shook her head. “I’m not-” I saw her hesitation and then her eyes suddenly stared into mine just like what I did earlier. “my sister”

 

Disbelief. Disappointment. Pain. Sadness. Heartbreak.

 

I don’t know what hurts more. My ears rang refusing the words that came from to register.

 

“No!” I covered my ears unable to believe her words.

 

Please let her be real. I don’t want to lose her again!

 

Just when I thought happiness was almost in my reach, it disappears.

 

“I think I should go.” I forgot about Nichkhun was in the same room.

 

I wiped my tears with my bear hands and looked at him with an unconvincing smile.

 

“No hyung, stay. I’ll go.” My heart was breaking all over again. The old wound reopened. This is too much.

 

Without another moment to spare, I left without looking back at her. If I look back, I don’t know what will happen to me.

 

I just need to get away. Seeing her face in someone else…

 

My heart will explode.

 

HAE JIN

 

The irony is that no matter how hard I try to distance myself, I always end up crashing in his direction.

 

He left without looking back. His back was the last thing I saw of him.

 

All I could think of when he left was that I lied.

 

I just made the biggest lie right in his face.

 

More tears streamed out of my eyes. No matter how hard I tried to stop them, they kept on flowing.

 

There was no stopping to what was I feeling. I didn’t even care whether my senior was watching me. The guilt. The pain. The regret. I was paying for them right at this moment.

 

Nichkhun sunbae just looked at me. I could see confusion in his eyes. He was kind enough not to attack me with questions. I wasn’t ready to tell anything to him. To anyone.

 

When I felt his fingers came in contact with my skin, feelings I kept in check for so long came rushing back as if it was always there. 

 

He touched me. Minho held me with such possession that almost caused me to give up the lie I built to protect him.

 

When Nichkhun sunbae barged in, I wasn’t sure if I should be grateful. He gave me an opportunity to collect myself and not give in to my emotions.

 

I don’t even know why I should be surprised. I saved him and we were brought to the same hospital. It was a matter of time before we crossed each other’s paths.

 

I was stupid to hope he would just let it go. He wasn’t the type to let things go.

 

The tears seemed to flow endlessly. By the time I stopped crying, exhaustion claimed me not long after.

 

Another day passed and the event from yesterday flashed before my eyes like a movie. Tears dangerously stung my eyes but I managed to stop them.

 

The room was quiet except from the noise coming from the air conditioner and occasional footsteps passing through from the outside.

 

I was still in the same sterile room I first woke up on. Everything was real. Nothing was a dream even though I fervently hoped it was.

 

I thought I was alone in the room until my vision caught a figure fast asleep on the couch not far from my bed.

 

Nichkhun. I’d almost forgotten about him. As far I knew, he wasn’t supposed to be here.

 

“Sunbae” I tried calling out to see if he would respond. My voice almost didn’t sound like mine.

 

Nichkhun sunbae opened his eyes a moment after and turned to my direction, waiting.

 

“I don’t want to stay here any longer.” I said them before I could comprehend what just said.

 

He nodded without saying another word and took out his phone. He called our management. Nichkhun sunbae took the call outside and left me alone.

 

Being alone made me contemplate on things. I knew it would be a matter of time before the others knew what happened. They’ll come searching for answers. All of them will be asking questions I’m not sure I have the answers.

 

Call me a coward. I don’t care.

 

I’m not even sure what I’m doing.

 

All I’m sure is I have to get away. I have to protect him from me.

 

The girl he should have forgotten.

 

 


 

Honestly... I don't know what will happen next.

My ideas are still stuck  somewhere in my head.

And I really am grateful for my readers. You guys usually motivate me out of  my y moments.

And you know what? I finally passed my  Physics and Differential calculus CLasses!

I hope this double update would be a treat from you guys although there are no lovey-dovey scenes

But hey at least Minho got to touch her. heheh